Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I've pre-ordered fifth edition as the first PnP book I have ever bought. I have went into Shadowrun basically blind and don't know the scene at all. Are people going to be playing this edition actively or will it be like DnD and the population splits between iterations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

What is the correct way to style a campaign? I was under the impression that combat was something to avoid unless the odds are stacked heavily in your favour. A parallel I am thinking of is like Thief, where entering combat usually meant you restarted. The example scenario in the quick rules though heavily implies combat will be involved and much of the rules involve combat. I thought combat was this hyper lethal thing or are just the more interesting scenarios the ones which put combat roles more to the side?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

So I found this thing on some forum, is it a more or less complete listing of all AAA and AA corporations?

http://theshadowrun.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=time&action=display&thread=346

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Who makes deals with dragons anyway?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Warning: Scientific Bullshit

Bone density augmentation could be a used form of bioware, but it is very different than probably what you might think and if someone actually knows what I am talking about I could be in poo poo.

The two cells to consider are Osteoblasts and Osteocytes. Osteoblasts are active in the formation of new bone tissue, while osteocytes are more mature osteoblasts that have become embedded in the bone and now serve a more sensory function. You could inject bone density augmented osteoblasts from another patient onto the desired surfaces of the bone and induce them to function. They will be able to produce the desired matrix (they are not immediately genetically controlled)but they cannot be allowed to become Osteocytes, since it is doubtful that the body will be able to properly support such foreign living material for the lifespan of the cell (something like 20 years). So, these cells must be programmed to die within a short time-span so as to not outpace the recipients natural osteoblasts. Thus, you get ribbons of modified bone density, rather than the whole matrix changing. This will require, however, multiple sessions of osteoblast injection and way more cells than what would be needed for the cultured procedure. The usual immunity problems also apply but I am sure they can be mitigated. Also, you have no way of repairing these ribbons in the body and could lead to complications down the road but hey, you are going to the cultured version sooner rather than later, right?

It is a possibility that isn't stupid but it has its drawbacks in that in no way can it be as complete as the proper procedure. Still, propagation and silencing of existing lines is much easier than starting from scratch.

Hypha fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 6, 2013

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Tias posted:

Also, you have all kinds of nanoimmunosupression drugs and type Owen bones, so there is that to say for easy transplants!

What is a "type Owen bone"?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Tias posted:

That's the one!

I just figured you could get type Owen bones, the same way you could get it in organs. For instance, a character with type O system quality would have type Owen bones, no?

Oh, it is a lore thingy. My lore knowledge for Shadowrun sucks, so I don't know what is a type O system and all that jazz yet. I just started learning about this game and pre-ordered the book (5E).

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Tias posted:

Type O is not yet a thing in 5E, but in 4E it was, poorly paraphrased since I don't have my book: Organs or people made of universally transplantable, non-allergenic cells, the basis for most bioware. For a high cost you could buy the Type Owen System quality at character creation, which imparted some serious bonuses with regards to augmentation (but also made you a ripe target for ripper crews, since all your organs could be implanted in everybody).

In that case, this would probably work too. I am coming up with more systems of how it might be possible than otherwise. It is definitely simpler when you got a kind of universal donor tissue.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

So...I don't want to give excuses to the horrific editing in this book, but apparently it was well worth it. I'm wondering if it's release coinciding with Shadowrun Returns has given sales a definitive boost?

I bought the book cause of the video game, so there may indeed be an effect.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

Do you want a no-nonsense mage who deals in formulae and the "science" of magic?

Could you elaborate on this one? How does this kind of mage character work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

E: This post was dumb and added nothing.......

Hypha fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 19, 2013