Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Liquid Communism posted:

It is, at the same time I've always liked that SR's magic is intrinsically tied to life, and inanimate objects can't cast spells. Magic is a thing that people -do-, not a pre-packaged commodity they can buy off the shelf.

Besides the incredibly obvious fact that we can't take the rules as game physics without also having to answer why the megas don't just make that poo poo standard issue to their HTR teams.

Isn't "magic in an item" just a preparation? I thought the reason there's no mass produced magic is that it's all bespoke work that no machine, even one with magical materials in its construction, can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

So who wants to talk about Harlequin, I never read any of the novels so I don't know anything about him.

He's just another immortal rear end in a top hat. He's got a lot of magic, but he doesn't really matter in a world where Ares owns a network of orbital kinetic weapons. None of the immortal elves do, and they've been pretty slow to figure that out.

About the only good the old magic types do is helping to deal with some of the big magic-y threats that are lurking out in the Deep Astral, and occasionally helping to counter the plans of the newer and larger magical organizations like the Black Lodge and the Ordo Maximus, but they're just not as important as they think they are.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

A lot of Catalyst's problems can be traced back to the guy who decided not to pay writers so he could embezzle a bunch of money, Loren Coleman.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I am desperate to see Paradox buy Shadowrun off of Topps and give it back to the HBS guys. It's like watching a friend of yours die of something easily curable.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Zephirum posted:

guessing they're gonna double down on NANOMACHINES and transhumanism at some point?

I'm personally pulling for Technomancers cracking the CFD nanite, installing their own minds on them, and becoming the resonance-fueled alternative to Adepts.

Street lethal was... disappointing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Street lethal would have been fine if they had just gone "hey, CFD is solved! nanotech for everyone! and nifty anti magic jackets, and some new guns!", but no, monad electrogravity superscience.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

LGD posted:

the best way to do it actually might be making them a AAA mega

Isn't that basically the PCC?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Being the first to take advantage of magic was a huge deal in the creation of most of the newer nations of the world. Tir na Nog was basically built on a foundation of magical racist elf terrorism.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It's starting to sound like Kill Code just went whole hog with Techno Bullshit, of which I heartily approve.

An echo that increases initiative in AR! Bodyguard sprites!

Streams! You can finally make a techno rigger. And you can make a techno street sam, but you need to Submerge first.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

So you're telling me they made technopaths not entirely garbage anymore? Finally.

The errata helped with that, sounds like this will do more. There's no PDF out yet afaik, but I might actually buy a Catalyst book instead of bumming off the table.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Nice. That's about what I expected with a drink named Dragon Piss. What errata? I haven't seen anything that messes with Technomancers recently.

There was Core errata that made Resonance priority buys give you more skills and complex forms, and all complex forms got their FV lowered by two (including Puppeteer, meaning you can now force a complex action for 3 fade.)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Technos are still basically Sprite summoners who happen to hack (at least until Kill Code ships!), but this makes it easier to make one that's not all about the digispirits. It's a viable strategy to use puppeteer regularly now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Most gear that gives bonuses requires wireless. Smartlink with a DNI will give you like +1 die when aiming without wireless.

Also it lets your technomancer stuff your gear full of machine sprites, enjoy +6 to all your shots.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 12, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

5e probably should have just gone with the assumption that any fancy gear you wanted to get use out of would have to use wirelessly available computing power to get the job done, so everything had to be on all the time. That does mean that you're always available to hackers, and the street sam never likes getting his gun hacked out from under him, but that's why you carry a sick-rear end vibrokatana I guess.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

You have those, they're throwback guns. But if you want all those neat aiming bonuses and electronic firing controls and magic imaging scopes, you get somebody to run matrix overwatch.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

mcclay posted:

Should I go elf to get max talkymans too?

You should go Elf because they can get higher agility.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

mcclay posted:

Okay, and what should my priorities be? Also should I be an adept or a mystic adept im so loving confused why name those two things in very similar ways.

A Mystic Adept is a fireball thrower who can't astrally project but can spend karma for the cool Adept abilities. An Adept starts with Power Points (a MysAd has to buy them) that they allocate to Adept Powers like being faster or being supernaturally good with guns.

If you want to be all about shooting and talking, it's better to be an adept. If you want to mix some magician stuff in, go MysAd, but it's probably simpler to be an Adept. Look at the powers to decide what you want your bonuses to be, but I'll tell you right off that throwing 19 dice at a problem will let you perforate it while backflipping off a banister, and nothing beats Improved Reflexes.

I would recommend Magic A, Attributes B, Meta C (Elf), Skills D, and Resources E. Magic A Adepts get a starting bonus to 2 skills, use them on the stuff you want to be really super amazing at. Attributes B should get you enough points to be good at physical things while also having high Charisma (which Elves also have more of than other metatypes.)

Use Chummer 5 (https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a) to make your dude.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Is it not magic a? If so then it should be attributes a and magic b. I dunno I haven't made a new dude in a while.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Yeah, talky and shoot don't mix super well. I just forgot that adepts max out at Magic B.

I'm going to like seeing what people can come up with for cyberadepts, but the fact that it requires submersion makes it less of a chargen thing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

As long as you know an Enchanter contact who can pull it off and you're willing to dump the incredible amounts of money necessary to get one, there's no reason your adept can't have a monowhip focus.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

oriongates posted:

You want Orichalchum bone lacing too. Turn your skeleton into the weapon focus!

just when we thought burnout adepts couldn't get any worse, you monster

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Honestly my big problem is that I want to play Shadowrun but I don't want to run Shadowrun, because I'm a bad GM.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

If you want to get better and fancier gear that costs in the hundreds of thousands then it's basically the run reward you get in lieu of cash, with the idea being that goods and services are easier for the corp to produce and that it costs them much less than the sticker price.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

A common route I've seen living setting communities take is to let people trade in karma run rewards for nuyen and vice versa, so the mages can get their initiations even after cash heavy runs and the chromeheads can get their new wires instead of leveling Automatics again.

That said, ultra expensive stuff is usually stolen or a run reward.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

5th is still wifi, but you take your hacker on the run because getting a direct connection to a device lets you sneak or break into the systems way more easily. Otherwise you have to pick a fair fight with the Host, and it fries your brain.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Net hits giving additional marks speeds hacking up tremendously.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

At this point sr5 has the medical option of "bacta tank full of nanites" where the only real problem is making sure you have a trustworthy AI running the thing (or a technomancer holding a gun to its digital head.)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Technomancers have an Echo that just flat out unmounts an AI from whatever it's in, even if that's a person, and kill code streams make them pretty good at hacker fights now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Nalesh posted:

Did the mythical techno book finally come out or something?

It did! It's also pretty good and has lots of other techy stuff in it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The foundation seems like the New Weird poo poo they're trying out, with matrix systems that are completely untethered from physical devices and hosts that are powered by drilling down into the resonance.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

It's a lazy writing excuse to make decking even further into magic, that''s all. A wtiter hoping that if they bullshit hard enough players will stop asking how literally any part of the 5e Matrix makes sense for the uses its supposed to be built for.

Sure, but when has the Matrix ever not been magic hacker handwaving? At least now they can make it really bizarre.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

A resonance realms/foundation run is just like a metaplanes run, in that if you don't take the rest of the team along on your crazy LSD adventure then of course you're going to have a bad time. Like, stick a trode net on their heads or climb in a commercial grade decking console, the res will work it out.

I will absolutely accept that it is not everyone's thing though, and that's fine.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It's literally not running on their systems though, or at least that's the plot. Danielle de la Mar wired a hundred technomancers together and turned their brains to mush cracking open an infinite well of extra-dimensional computing power that doesn't seem to actually need any physical devices to keep functioning, and when she went to turn them off she found out they were already dead.

Hosts are not run on physical devices, they are controlled by physical devices. The actual power comes from the Foundation, which is built on top of Resonance Wells that GOD can't turn off despite having created most (but not all) of the base protocols in the first place.

I know it's just magic by another name, but that can be a good thing. It's nice to imagine a world in which the wealthy can't just do whatever they want to the internet. The Matrix has grown beyond this physical world.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

"Free energy from phlogiston" describes the entire manasphere concept. They're just saying "oh, living beings generate that energy but we don't really know why."

If dwarves and elves throwing fireballs at people with robot arms is fine, why is matrix magic the straw that breaks the camel's back?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Pdx can buy it and give it back to Weisman.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Ronwayne posted:

Sometimes I get bored of just buying the most optimized gear. I have the money for it, and the essence isn't that much, but I know in my heart of hearts that there is a dozen more convenient and cheaper ways to do it. However, I really do want to try a chemical gland with narco in it connected to retractable fangs for my biosam.

Its about branding. "We're out of zipties and cuffs, how do we keep these guys from moving once we leave?" "I got this."

Well, if you upgraded your ware recently and have an essence hole, you may as well.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Smoke grenades are a good reason to rock some sonar shades. Sensors in general are a good idea.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Mages dump all their money into formulas and foci. You can buy grenades instead. Even pepper punch gas grenades are an incredible equalizer against people who aren't wearing sealed armor, and what are they, 250NY (50, wow) a pop?

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 19, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Yeah Essence loss is a huge deal in 5e. It's what happens at the very bottom of a crippling addiction spiral or a near fatal vampire attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I've heard there's an armor mod that's just straight up bonus defense against magic, so I'm interested.