Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kai Tave posted:

Literally all I can remember about Saeder-Krupp just off the top of my head is that a dragon runs it.

S-K does kind of deserve being kicked down to an AA or A rating to make room for something else, because S-K is Loftwyr, and S-K is only as interesting as Loftwyr is, and Loftwyr just isn't very interesting. He is easily the boringest dragon, and S-K is the boringest corporation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

'Used' quality Bone Density could also be past it's use-by date or just generally shoddy, low-quality, or counterfeit cyberware.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

MilkmanLuke posted:

I don't know if you played 4th edition, but there was a drug in the guns/gear book called K-10 that was basically a combat drug that could turn a 90-pound-weakling into a troll-strength maniac for a few minutes until his heart exploded from 18 boxes of unresisted stun damage. :orks101:

In a SR4 game my IRL group played while I was abscent, they ended up accidentally dropping a k-10 mortar round on a dinner party on an estate that included a knockoff Brittany Spears. She nearly killed the party by wrecking the rigger's tricked-out sports car.

Our games tend very pink mohawk.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Yet in Los Angeles this is showbusiness as usual. If the 'runners were smart they'd have had her get in touch with their agents.

Los Angeles is an entirely different genre than Seattle, I loving swear.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I love Shadowrun but I'll never understand why there are so many ammo types devoted to 'lightly armored' targets. As if lightly armored targets were in any way difficult to eliminate.

Or were particularly common things you wanted to shoot in the first place, especially given how cheap body armor is and how in the fluff even bike couriers and convenience store clerks wear armored clothing.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

jagadaishio posted:

This is not a case of car theft being too good - it's terrible too, just less-terrible. Fewer points of failure for more money per time invested.

This is a really long-running problem that nobody's bothered to actually try and solve. If I remember, in 3rd edition the highest rank of the Day Job flaw would net you ¥60k a year. Taking this and doing absolutely nothing but be a wage slave was pretty competitive with running by the guidelines.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

a village full of meth labs and unsecured firearms.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

When 'has gear' is the defining characteristic of half the standard character archetypes, yeah, people don't like having that hosed with. Especially since, at the book's payout suggestions, it is essentially impossible to replace cyberdecks, major cyberware systems, and high-value drones in play due to them being a dozen sessions' worth of takehome.

Yeah, you might as well as let deckers just cause magic loss. Sure, you can get that back by spending huge amounts of karma, but why not just retire the character and start from zero instead?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

SilverMike posted:

I don't fully understand why having an advantage = get Edge now. Wasn't the main point of Edge to give the runners a boost in bad situations?

Apparently Edge is now supposed to replace all the modifiers so you can put that advantage wherever you feel is most important. Of course, the way it's implemented means that advantages that should be conflict-defining (like being the only guys with night-vision during a night-fight) are now minor and expendable.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

I hated that storyline because it is yet another bodysnatcher plot. The Universal Brotherhood was cool and surprising, the shedim were meh, and by the time we get to AI brainsnatchers it got to 'not this poo poo again' for me.

Yeah, the Shadowrun metaplot likes body-snatchers so much that I'm surprised there was never a all-out bodysnatcher-on-bodysnatcher shadow war. It'd be a complete clusterfuck. EDIT: In a good sort of way, I mean.

Ratoslov fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 6, 2019

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

The only shadowtalk characters I have ever given a crap about were the ones who only ever spoke about one thing. They add something to discussions, if only the ability to add a digression about something that the primary epistolary narrative wouldn't mention or even think of. All this crap with Clockwork and the like feels like a waste of goddamn time.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Ah, good old first edition, when light pistols were the deadliest weapon in the game.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

This is a legacy issue. 'RIFD tags' can have all sorts of embedded stuff in SR5e as well.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Ronwayne posted:

loving poo poo I hate "You not only have to sneak in to the place, they can't ever know you were ever there, even long after you're gone" missions. :cripes:

That reads to me like 'make the structure fire that destroys all the evidence look like an accident' to me. :unsmigghh:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Also, edge is a scene-by-scene power currency, and all sorts of things that would otherwise be modifiers instead give you a one-time lump sum of edge. For example, having your side all have night-vision goggles and the enemy does not is worth, like, 2 edge.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

As a longtime Shadowrun fan, lemme tell you, there has never been a good edition of Shadowrun- only shades of bad editions. Sixth admittedly is the darkest shade of bad, but don't kid yourself- your favorite one is also pretty terrible, you just get used to working around the broken bits.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

MuscaDomestica posted:

The fact that a large chunk of Seattle was hit by a volcanic eruption also effected the total population.

And a nuclear meltdown.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Wow, they spent a lot of time replicating the bugs of the original. That's weird.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

I am so glad I don't play Shadowrun anymore. This is extremely loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

when I first read SR as a teenager I was so weirded out by the speculated timeline, why would a pandemic Virus killing millions even be a thing in the sci fi future, ah well guess they had to have some artificial decay in there

The funny thing is, they never really committed to it. VITAS was absurdly deadly and killed like 1/3rd of the planet within living memory. That's the kind of thing that leaves permanent scars on everyone and should be quietly everywhere. Like, 'it's incredibly weird and uncomfortable to shake hands with someone after making a deal' or 'it's perfectly normal for someone to wear disposable nitrile gloves 24/7.'