Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm still reading through the 5e book, but the thing that intro story, with the Ares Bug Shaman, the request for recordings makes it seem less like an Idiot Ball thing and more like an Internal Affairs thing/Rooting out Moles, trying to figure out which of your agents (or sections) is loyal and which ones have been compromised. :commissar:
Very Cold War, as fits the 'American Megacorp', but with more, you know, giant bugs.
The other thing is from that story, aren't Desolation Angels Mantis Spirits?

And hey, there's a niche for Horizon; they are so good at the psychology, they can deprogram or interrogate Bug Shamans.
Or social editing programs to make sure that the expired Bug Shamans never existed and were in no way affiliated with Ares.
That's it! Horizon is the source of new Shadowrunners. I mean, they're always talking about how you need vast resources and skills to burn someone's SIN, so...the shadowy people and organizations who burn your SIN? Haven't you ever wondered who they are, how they do what they do, how they manage to stay in business? They might not know it, but they work for Horizon. All of them.

And they have enough favors owed and blackmail material that everyone's afraid what's going to happen if they drop out of AAA or get liquidated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
That's not the point, the point is kind of a MAD option, in that Horizon can't actually spend it, but the other AAAs are too afraid to actually let Horizon drop, and thus, they help fend off any attacks.
And the trick with blackmail is to make sure they're not attached to it.

But hey, even if I'm talking out of the wrong side of my hoop on that one, frak it, two out of three ain't bad, chummer.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I thought SK was basically, boring, but crazy powerful. Not everyone needs a shtick.

I'm more curious about #10, actually. Wuxing the Mystical Chinese megacorp. There's not a lot about them, is there?
Heh, do they have some sort of Lo Pan equivalent to Aztechnology blood magic?
Are their sites guarded by hopping zombies or bunraku equivalents?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Wuxing is kinda funny; there was a lot of fuss and they made sort of a thing about building them up as a corp that was going to start making some major waves, they got a bunch of artifacts from Dunks, and then...nothing happened. They were either forgotten or the crew that was building them up left Shadowrun, probably during the whole..."Troubles."

That's a shame.
Man, I need to finish up the China History podcast and go run, like a China campaign or something.
Little Trouble in Big China? :razz:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

As always, depends on your style. My personal style is most definitely in the "Most everybody is either a bad person or a dumb sheep except you, so it's time you strapped your gun on and made a difference. If the corps are going to pay you to attack the corp, all the better." It's not that the common populace is bad, they're just hosed and don't know any better. It's up to the PCs to be the ones who make a difference.

I've been thinking of running an SR game that cuts though and goes pure heroic. Maybe once SR5 gets a supplement and errata.

It's interesting to note that, a I recall, karma previously was not "experience" in the same way it is in SR4 and SR5. Previously, again to my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong), it reflected it's namesake far more. You got karma when you explicitly did good deeds.
That, and I remember in 3e it doubled as Edge, like career Karma/3 as your karma pool.

Actually, this (karma&XP) is suddenly making me wonder about the possibilities of a Burning Wheel hack for Shadowrun.

Also, sounds like a pretty cool idea for a game.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

My technomancer once hacked off a man's head because he had an implant comlink, and the body was just slowing the team down as we were fleeing from the Orkish Underground.
He was very diligent about intelligence gathering.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Still grinding through the book. I'm worried Adept Hacker is no longer viable.

Also, it seems like in the illustrations everyone is squatting or wearing high heels. The lady on page 138 is wearing high heel pistols. :stare:

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 11, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

You ever wonder if the reason the Matrix is so weird, like the VR sculpting, the Techno stuff, and the you know, actualy plugging your brain directly into a computer is that it uses a lot of your spare brainpower to supply computing power?
I was initially thinking of it as an explanation for why the frak anyone would ever be dumb enough to plug in, and the deckers decks are basically the I/O to allow them use their brains to give them that computational edge. Like, your deck isn't doing most of the work, your brain is.
But then I was wondering about the sculpting, thinking that's how your brain tends to interpret data, so that's how you see it.

I don't know. Right now all I know is that I could really use a sleep regulator, or Sustenance.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I always viewed the non combat optimized roles, like decker's action economy being bad, as an RP teamwork thing.
It's the real challenge for the Samurai; you might be a crazy good razorboy, but killing mooks isn't your challenge, it's keeping the skinny decker alive to do the job, and to haul the decker's hoop out of danger after they finish roasting their brains for paydata.
Making everyone a combat monster kinda makes everyone all seem the same, and kinda defeats the point of different archetypes.
Like...a combat monster goes down, oh no, just slide a new one in, the decker goes down and it's time to scrub the run.
Also, Devil Rats. Still as tasty as ever, I assume, but they're described as being a meter long including tail and 3 to 4 kilos. I was going to make a crack about the new Dachshund Devil Rat, or that they were worried about players farming for rat loot drops, but I did the math (probably incorrectly) and...
Umm... if you size up the Brown Rat (25cm body, .5kg to 1kg) which is probably following the Devil Rat around, you get something 2 times as long and thick and 8 times more massive. So they're a bit on the skinny end, but they're not Devil Worms.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

That's actually pretty cool.

It's also really pushing me to finally make an Outlaw Star inspired character, and now I'll have to use a Caster.

I mean, freelance criminal mercenaries? Cyborg Pirates? Supernaturally good swordfighters? Ships flown by immersed pilots? Taoist Wizard Pirates? Furries?
How is that not the most Shadowrun thing ever?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Just how dim/ugly are you with 1 logic/charisma?
I'd always assumed you were completely and utterly awful. Like, worse than a goon. Like having to deal with :tvtropes: constantly?

Edit
Like, people (Johnsons and Contacts ans everyone) will try to sabotage you or half rear end things because you're just that irritating.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 23, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Used to be gene therapy. Gotta wait for the new cybertech book to come out.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Poil, when the new splatbooks come out, hopefully K10 will still be around. Or even K11. A couple fake teeth and you won't just be killing yourself, but everyone else in the general vicinity, too.

SR4 Arsenal 75 posted:

K-10 (Blood of Kali)
Duration: 5 x 1D6 minutes
Effect: +3 Body, +3 Agility, +6 Strength, +1 Willpower, +3 Initiative Pass, High Pain Tolerance 3, Berserk
Users of this experimental combat drug automatically go berserk when wounded, in a manner similar to Bear magicians (see Bear, p. 200, SR4A). At the end of the duration, the user suffers 18S damage (unresisted). Berserk character must also make an Edge (1) Test; if they fail, they stay berserk permanently.
All of the initial research subjects of kamikaze grade ten, aka K-10, died from the drug’s side effects or wounds sustained while under the influence. The formula for K-10 was hacked from the lab’s medical database, and the drug itself only hit the streets as a combat drug in the beginning months of 2071. Buzz regarding K-10-fueled suicide assaults is already on the rise.

Basically you go from 'decker' to 'troll'.
18S damage unresisted probably wouldn't kill you, which is why you eat another when you start to come down.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I finished reading the PDF, more or less. My brain feels burnt.

I was going to say, the physical stuff is easy, because it is entirely in world, while the mental stuff really mixes up with the character.
Which makes me think that a prepared GM focused on verisimilitude will have a special set of extra large tungsten dice set aside for people who take Strength as a dump stat, a patch of carpet to roll on for the people with low Agility, cream pies for the low Reaction crew, and uh...hey, there's an idea for the mental stats; Everclear.

I've never really enjoyed playing with a dump stat, but I've never really known how to play a high stat either. Like, I am decidedly non-suave, non-bright, well, goon. How am I supposed to know what a smart person would do in this situation? Roll the dice, and say "Whelp, the Decker figured out the mission, the trap, and the sudden but inevitable betrayal. And made more money day trading than the whole team did on the mission."

That being said, trying to haul the vain gunslinger out of a cloud of poison gas, failing, and then blurting out "You're so frakking heavy." was pretty funny in retrospect.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

A couple things.
You hack someone's bone lacing, their bones melt. It's the hacker version of Turn to Goo. You're activating the manufacturer's repo mode.

It seems like what they're going for, as you'd tell the Log 1 sammie, is "I take my virtual gun and virtually shoot mans."

And would making technomancers able to hack anything in sight, even with wireless off, take them from weak to overpowered?
"Wireless off? Doesn't matter, techno magic, go!"

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 26, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

On the other hand, there is slightly less than no subtlety involved with grenade launchers; loud, obvious, and guaranteed to bring down a ton of heat.

Two slightly weird questions
Were there any optional rules about picking up overwatch more slowly if you're out in the rear end end of nowhere? Like a developing country?
Is German a big language for the Shadowrun community? I've been fooling around with a language learning app and I'm wondering if I should switch from French to German?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

How do you square this with "Getting blown up with a grenade tends to suck really bad."?
I mean, it sorta seems similar to complaining that getting hit by a missile tends to be a one hit kill. Grenades are kind of a big deal.

Kinda reminds me of 4e Arsenal's blurb on IEDs; they're devastating, and there's not much that can be done about them. They suggest not including them in your game, so the Players don't have to write up new characters every session.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Okay, so I'm grinding up a character for the Korean Shadowrun game. Going to be some kind of Chinese pirate witch, I think, possibly less silly than the Manchurian Horse Motorcycle Archer, though I imagine the gimmick might work between characters.
Anyway, I was thinking my gimmick might be the enchanted bullets thing, I'm busy reading back in the thread to see how bad it was.

I'm not entirely sure about my weapon choice, thought. Loading them into a Sniper Rifle is probably too out there and shotguns are too hard to hide. Archery...requires too much strength.
Pretty sure I'm going to go with Pistols, despite the lack of an Eichiro Hatamoto II. The smart choice is probably the Ares Lightfire 75, the crazy action choice is probably a pair of Ruger Super Warhawks, but I'm leaning towards having a bunch of Walther Palm Pistols. Accuracy's really low, but I do like the idea of having a bunch of enchanted holdout pistols; is there a way to make it work?
Improve Accuracy doesn't seem to be a thing yet, I guess, but I could probably Hush the pistols themselves and and put whatever spells on the bullets. Damage/Elemental bullets are obvious, but what other enchantments could be good? Sheet of Ice? Bugs? Barrier? Heal?
Is it possible to be an Aspected Mystic Adept?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I thought I remembered something like that.
What about a smoothbore? The shotguns, probably a Roomsweeper, and...uh, I don't even know if rifling something as short as the Palm Pistol even makes sense.
And now I'm wondering about enchanting the gel in Gel Rounds with potions...which don't actually seem to get any detail. Huh.

Well, I'll have to see what the GM says, I guess I can always switch to Archery or something similarly primitive.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Most powerful weapon in the game, but on the other hand, the user is an incompetent player :blush: who is usually a non combat kind of person.

I didn't think of throwing weapons, why do I always forget they exist? Like knives or...
Enchanted Grenades :science: Levitate to get them to follow their targets! Glue, to make them sticky! Hush, to make silent but deadly grenades! Heal, for irony! Ice Sheet, to increase scatter! Physical Barrier, to make them into improvised shaped charges that oneshot anything they touch! Swarm on Pepper Punch, to make BEE BOMBS!

Throwing weapons seem a bit short ranged, though, anything to counteract that? Mystic Throwing Adept doesn't seem to be an option yet, so no paintbrushes of Death Touch, so should I look into enchanting up some Increase Str/Agi items?

Also, were there rules for doing the Andy Lau thing and just pulling the pin on a grenade and then throwing a backpack full of grenades at someone, then laughing like a jackass while they dig through the bag? Just adding damage and blast and AP for each one, right?

Edit: Enchant a sutra or talisman tied to the business end? Bells might be a cool touch, especially with Ice Sheet :downsrim:

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 5, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Okay, for Enchanting...do I use Force one spells and a bunch of Reagents to make for big zaps with little drain?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Yeah, but it also says that using Reagents changes the limit to the number of drams used? :confused:

Also, is anyone else irritated by how the PDF zoom is messed up because they decided it was necessary to put the old covers side by side at the end of the PDF?

EDIT: Also, is there a table of Skill Groups? I think I'm going to make an Aspected Magician, and I need to know what is in the Alchemy Skill Group. Found it.
EDIT EDIT: Aspected Magicians do not start out with any spells, right?

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 6, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Hey, they did the paper armor on Burn Notice, stuffed phonebooks into a car body for makeshift armor. I don't know if Mythbusters tested it, though.

I like the Heal Knife, actually, it's clever. I was originally thinking of a healing shiv or Woundhealer, but this actually makes sense; you only get the one Heal, and if someone fraks it up, accidentally or otherwise, that's it for assisted healing.

Think I'm going to have a Knife Enchanter up later today, hope I'm done in time to submit for that game.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Because not everyone is an Aztechnology Blood Mage deriving power and enjoyment from slaughter?
It's a good way to weaken opposing forces for a long time without actually murdering people.

Speaking of crazy evil spellslingers, Novacoke boosts your Charisma, which helps Shamans resist drain.
Therefore, Snowflame the Toxic Shaman of Cocaine!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Deviant posted:

If this character's appearance isn't a picture of Doctor Rockso, the Rock and Roll Clown, I don't want to know you. :colbert:

You know, I had forgotten about him, but he's almost a bit much, even for maximum pink mohawk.

"He used to be a small time dealer, but he Awakened after snorting an entire dram of Novacoke. Now, he is a missionary spreading the glory of his mistress Cocaine, and a crusader against the foul heresy of BTLs"?

I could see him getting a big (cocaine) Aspected Domain as he got more and more people hooked.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Halfway through chargen.

Quick question, any opinions on having a rope dart weapon focus? (Or flying claws or flying guillotine)
Too cheesy? Reaches too far away from user's aura even though you're hanging on to the rope?

And can you enchant a Focus?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Bleh, no way can I pick out gear on a phone, but here's what I have so far. How bad is it? Might switch Skills for Nuyen?

I might buy a focus to bind later when I get karma.

"Knives" Lau
Elf

A Attributes
B Aspected Mage
C Elf (3)
D Skills
E Nuyen

BOD 4
AGI 7
REA 4
STR 4
WIL 5
LOG 5
INT 3
CHA 3
EDG 3
MAG 5

Ambidextrous
Catlike
Mentor Spirit (Firebringer)
Bad Rep (Something appropriate for a pirate nicknamed [i]Knives[/i ]
Distinctive Style (pirate, Chinese coin jewelry)
Incompetent (firearms)
Spirit Bane (water)

Enchanting Skill Group 4
Throwing (knives) 6(8)
Sneaking 5
Gymnastics 5
Running 2
Palming 1
Lockpick 1
First Aid 1

Knowledge Skills

26000 Nuyen
16 Karma

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Okay, here's the more finished version, I had a different version planned, but I'm not really feeling great right now and can't write it down.

Okay, here's my character, cutting it real close. I'm going to add in the backstory in a second. Hope I didn't miss anything.

pre:
"Knives" Lau"
Elf

A washed up pirate seeking fame and fortune in the shadows.

A Attributes 24
B Mystic Adept 4 Magic 7 Spells
C Elf (3)
D Nuyen 50000
E Skills 18

BOD 4
AGI 7
REA 4
STR 4
WIL 5
LOG 5
INT 3
CHA 3
EDG 2
MAG 6

Qualities
Ambidextrous
Catlike (+2 Sneaking)
Mentor Spirit (Fire Bringer) (+2 Dice to Alchemy skill tests, +2 to Manipulation,
Cannot refuse a sincere request for help Cha+Will(3))
Natural Athlete (+2 Gymnastics&Running)
Bad Rep (appropriate to a pirate nicknamed Knives)
Distinctive Style (pirate, Chinese coin jewelry)
Incompetent (Firearms)
Spirit Bane (Water)

Contacts 9
Madam Wu; Triad Talismonger; (3C/3L)
Doc Park; Street Doc; (1C/2L)

Skills
Alchemy 4
Counterspelling 4
Throwing (knives) 6(8)
Sneaking 5
Gymnastics 5
Running 1
Etiquette 1

Knowledge Skills
Catonese N
Mandarin 5
Korean 4
English 3
Chinese History 1
Magic Theory 1
Triads 1

Spells
Knockout
Lightning Bolt
Heal
Improved Invisibility
Silence
Mana Barrier
Physical Barrier

Powers
Improved Reflexes 1
Improved Ability (Throwing)

Gear 50000 Nuyen
Squatter Lifestyle 1 500
Enchanting Focus 4 20000 (Knife Money)
Qi Focus 2 6000 (Combat Sense) (Lucky coins, worn in hair) 
Magical Lodge Materials 6 3000
Fake SIN 4 10000
Fake Magic License 4 800
Magic Kit 500
Lined Coat 900+2250
-Chemical Protection 2
-Fire Resistance 2
-Insulation 2
-Nonconductivity 3
Chameleon Suit 1700
Meta Link 100
Gas Mask 200
Gecko Gloves 200
Survival Kit 200
Medkit 6 1500
Medkit Supplies 100

Knives 6 150
Flashbang 6 600
HiEx Grenades 6 600
Thermal Smoke 6 360
Flash Pak 125
Reagents 20

1995 Nuyen leftover

26 Karma
-12 Focus
-4 Focus
-10 2 Power Points
"Does it really matter?" asked Knives, tossing another dart at the board. "I'm here, aren't I?"
"It's not nearly as bad as you've probably heard, and piracy was a good way for a poor girl from Huangpu to get ahead." the coins in her hair caught the light as she took a sip. "Rob from the rich, give some to the poor; it wasn't so bad. But running the shadows is probably going to pay a bit better. Piracy seems to be dying out; I'd like to say China's getting better...it's just getting more violent, ships are rolling with more security. I've seen some strange things out there, probably time for a change."
Another dart.
"Last ship we took had a mage running security; an actual mage, someone trained.". The next dart was much harder. "Didn't help him. But I think he must have cursed me, or had a friend, or there was something spooky about my share of the loot. So, time to find work on dry land."
"Yeah, I know the Triads are always looking for Awakened Talent, it's their thing. But I'd like to stay independent. The Triads...seem aimless, these days; China needs to change." another dart squeezed into a forest over the bullseye. "Besides, Madam Wu scares the hell out of me."

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 7, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Does Wuxing have anything notable?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Leadership is really one of the most powerful skills in the game. With the Direct action, your Leadership check is effectively a teamwork test for any skill in the game, including ones your character doesn't know at all. For a dedicated Shaman or Face, it isn't at all hard to get to 14 dice, where you're sending an expected 4.5 dice and limit to a check a teammate is making so long as you aren't doing anything else that exact combat turn.

I think I might have to make a Yoda-Style mystic adept who runs around using Jedi Mind Trick types of spells and giving cryptic advice to his teammates.

Whoa, time to make a middle manager of justice shaman mystic adept; trained in the hidden arts of management, they proactively leverage the synergistic core competencies of their team members for greater efficiency!

Just need to think of a plausible backstory. And an alias.

It also seems like a character that would also want high Edge and/or lots of skills at 1, to represent enough familiarity to wing it and manage.
Or does that go back to the whole Untrained vs Incompetent thing?

Edit: Well, at Cha 9 Leadership 7, you probably are so good at reading people that you can basically straighten out what it is that they're trying to do.

And at 9 Charisma 5 Willpower and Leadership 6 you're probably way too ambitious to be satisfied with plodding up the corporate ladder through junior management. Gotta be proactive!

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 9, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Hey, here's one; how about enchanted taser darts? Like from a Defiance or Yamaha.
I think reloading kills the idea of a Defiance Ex Weapon Focus.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

The reasoning behind that is something to do with your aura?

Okay. But taser darts, or even dart gun darts seem like they'd be viable targets for enchantment.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Grinding up the old lacing to reuse, with bits of old bone in it?
Now you're making me think of a Giant repo man/organlegger, "Fe fi fo fum I smell the 'ware of an indebted man, be he living or be he dead, I'll grind his bones to make my bread!"

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Yes and no. The only difference I can see would be for grenade and missile launchers, which have a listed minimum range for obvious reasons.
That's what the Armorer skill is for, obviously. :unsmigghh:

Actually, is there a damage rating for just getting beaned with a grenade from a launcher?

Plus, firing a rocket into a dude at close range would be super wiz, if he gets hit and carried off by the rocket to blow up at a distance. Like fireworks.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, by the time they get around to killing your dog, your team can probably chip in to get its brain extracted and put into a Cyborg. :awesomelon:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I think the problem with group lifestyles is that no one actually trusts anyone enough to actually use them.
Like we had a team warehouse, that we only ever seemed to use for meetings, fixing stuff, and the murder troll's rooftop garden. Everybody had like two other listless that they actually used.
Part of it is, I think that is sich a valuable resource you're afraid to use it for fear of losing it having it be known as your home.

I've been thinking a bit more about doing a campaign set in China, so Shadows of Asia is a good splatbook, right?
I've got an idea for a run or two, some faction motivations, and maybe an idea of what direction I'd like to take the game, but I'm not really sure how to take it from this to actually running a game.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

So, while I'm busy fretting about China, a question.
How would one go about stating out old tanks and IFVs, and would it make sense? I mean, at this point all the tanks from before the split have rusted away, but i was wondering about old and patchwork military vehicles in general, since I don't see any but the most powerful Warlords importing brand new military vehicles.
It may or may not come up in game, depends on how messy things get. Then again, a tank is basically "You lose" unless you have a missile launcher or mines, in which case it's "You win", so the actual stats may not matter too much.
Are tanks even a big thing anymore on SR? You'd think their heyday has passed, what with future missiles and air support. Something I might be stuck thinking about. Not going to be much air support in China, but there's going to be a lot of infantry, and an Aztechnology Striker and AV Rocket is only...4K is kind of steep, but it will probably pop a tank. So if they have armour, it's going to be used carefully.

It's part of my world building so far, I figure that their foreign currency reserves (NuYen) are pretty low, because, well, everything goes to poo poo when Warlords are involved. So they can't afford a lot of modern equipment, especially pricy stuff like tanks and planes.
I wonder if there's be as much in the way of foreign military advisors and mercenaries this time? Makes for a handy narrative, especially to bring in foreign, not really trusted Players, but there's the old PLA guys to have served as training experts.
Also, I wonder if you see Chinese mercenaries flooding the world market? A combination of Warlords renting out soldiers for NuYen and building experience, and just a Chinese diaspora in general, with a bunch of people trying to make a living.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 23, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Stupid Swype autocorrect, though the idea of Welsh longbow adepts serving as mercenaries around the world is kind of funny.

Yeah, I guess I can sort of see tanks having a use in regions without air support, but it's just weird when you think about a couple dudes with less than ten grand worth of gear being able to pop one.

Also, inter war tanks are the most Pink Mohawk tanks :allears:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M3grantmini.jpg

I think there's two story elements that may or may not get used, and may conflict, but I think they kind of fit this setting.
One is the whole 'sworn brotherhood' that always seems to pop up in times like this, sort of like Romance of the The Kingdoms. Might be something to create in the course of a campaign, but is certainly different than 'you all meet Mr Johnson (and each other) in a Tavern'. Be a way to use a group lifestyle, certainly. I don't think I could handle 108 players, but building your own organization and putting your group base on Mount Liang would be kind of funny.
The other is the whole foreign experts thing. I think one of the reasons you get hired because you're free of local entanglements, and because you have no one to run to if things go bad. Plus, foreign experts was a thing the last time or two.

Heh, MERC. Forget China, time to run a campaign in Arulco.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

So, uh, I might be running another game for my cousin sometime soon, and more worryingly some of his friends. I'm terrified. :ohdear:
I don't see it myself, but he thinks I'm a brilliant GM, and I do know he absolutely had a blast when I ran a solo game for him a couple years back, got him hooked on Shadowrun.
I might try to test some China runs with him. He's an East Asian Studies major, actually, he should probably know this subject better than me. :unsmith:

I'm apparently pretty good at playing by the seat of my pants, improvising and fudging as I go, but I think it's still kind of half assed.
It's also kind of stressful sometimes, and it kind of limits the kind of missions I'm going to run.

I want something more planned, but when I try to think and plan and, you know, prepare, my head goes in ten thousand directions at once, and I never really get anywhere.
I should probably ask in the GM Advice thread too, but I wanted to see if there was Shadowrun specific advice.

Also, should I try running 4th or 5th? He's played a bunch of 4th, but I don't think he has 5th. I've read the 5th edition book, but I've only played 3rd and 4th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Nyaa posted:

Probably 5th since you will only need to deal with one book of rules.

I recall you mention tanks before, so I hope you would run something like the Tank Man incident. Either doing something during the incident or have the runners do legwork to find the man.

Oh wow, I didn't even think of that guy. Hmm, that might... depending on how they play it, is be beginning or middle mission.
Beginning, to get possible foreigners into China, for a snatch or for a bodyguard job.
Middle to do more legwork and use connections to track him down, or to smuggle him somewhere.

On the other hand, Shadowrun, so he's probably a greasy smear on the ground. :smith:
You're hired by his widow trying to carry on the fight. Or, you know, track her down.