Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Morpheus posted:

It's from a pre-built adventure in the Runner's Toolkit: essentially, someone wants to buy a disk that the runner's have recently found, and are supposed to deliver to their Mr. Johnson. So they meet in a graveyard - something like four vamps and 7 flunkies. After the deal, a third party (or, uh, fourth party I guess) barges in that wants this disk as well, 7 runners including a mage, rigger, and a hacker, and start shooting things up. In retrospect I shouldn't have started the combat until the players were paid for the disk, allowing them to make a choice about whether or not to actually get involved, but the adventure book assumes that it's a big three-way melee.

Honestly I didn't really enjoy the adventure too much - there was mostly a lot of running around shooting people and not a lot of, you know, shadowrunning around.

I checked out the "Splintered State" adventure since I wanted to try and get my SR4 group into SR5 and it's supposed to be an introductory SR5 adventure. I read through the plot synopsis. Pretty much exactly the same formula. "OH MAN ALL THESE FACTIONS AND THEY'RE GONNA CHASE YOU AND FIGHT YOU!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Nalesh posted:

Okay, I did it right then.

How does this spell list sound by the way?

Heal
Improved Invis
Physical Mask
Trid Phantasm
Alter Memory
Control Thoughts
Levitate
Mob Mind
Turn To Goo
Shape Concrete

Kinda going for a semi face shaman(since both use charisma)

Here's what I got so far

It's hard for me not to get at least one combat spell, even if it's a dinky one, since there is always that time when etiquette doesn't quite cut it and you just need to knock the dude out quickly.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Has there been a Rigger book for 5e? Can't do a new edition until that is out, then you must do a new edition immediately.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Is everyone just playing 5e?

What's even the preferred edition to play anymore? My friend wants to GM SR again but is SUPER resistant to buying any 5e books. I don't even think he wanted to do 4e. He floated the idea of doing 2e and I was like "Ehhhhh". The current compromise is 3e, which actually had matrix rules I didn't actively hate...

But having not played 5e at all, is it really as bad as all that? or is this like D&D 4e where it's not actually that bad, just different?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Sanzuo posted:

We're playing anarchy and my group is really enjoying it so far. We basically don't worry too much about the rules as written, and I run it pretty much the same way as dungeon world.

My players have not played shadowrun before this.

Hmm I forgot about Anarchy... I need to check that out.

communism bitch posted:

Just port the setting into an actually good system?

e: or that ^^^

What game system actually works well with the SR setting though? GURPS is not great, d20 modern is not great. Maybe Genesys?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

How are the NAN racist? If the Native Americans really did get a bunch of power all of a sudden, I know for a fact they would kick white men out of areas like the Black Hills, which still has ongoing lawsuits over the whole area being a holy place. I can see the shaman stuff being a bit sticky... cultural misappropriation and whatnot, but the NAN as a major force seems like a reasonable notion, and if nothing else raises awareness of real world issues.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Ice Phisherman posted:

Imagine using Native Americans as antagonists. Then put it on a book shelf.

The noble savage trope of a native that's "full of ancient wisdom" is an extreme, a stereotype and it's wrong. It's a pendulum swing away from bloodthirsty Indians on horseback who are hungry for scalps which men in white hats in Westerns (portrayed as good) gun down with impunity.

In actuality they're people who are from a different culture who suffered under centuries of genocide. They're inherently wise nor are they savages. They're people and you find people all along tons of emotional and social spectrums.

I had to pull back from using them as antagonists in the books that I'm writing because the implications of using them as antagonists are monstrous.

If there were a reboot, I have no idea how the NAN would be handled.

I guess from my point of view, I never considered the NAN as antagonists, but just another faction in a world full of different factions/states made up of people/organizations with a variety of motivations. Like I said, the shaman seems *really* borderline and problematic, but I didn't get the sense that the NAN were meant as evil countries or noble savages or anything. I read both NAN sourcebooks multiple times, but admittedly it's been quite a while and maybe I'm forgetting something. I think the Balkanizing of North America is one of the most interesting aspects of Shadowrun.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

LGD posted:

so in addition to setting them up as antagonists (as pointed out) you've also got to look at how the game gets to the point where magical natives control the entire middle of the US/Canada- the entire story depends on them (as a cultural/ethnic group) being uniquely prolific and competent magicians, who after using a magical ritual (that the game expressly links to real-world religious practices) to magically nuke the US, are also able to effortlessly steamroll conventional military forces that outnumber/out resource them by an absurd degree (compare how the Awakening works for them vs. literally every other ethnic cultural group, including other oppressed groups with their own magical/religious traditions)

then after doing that and forcing a peace they politically take over pretty most of the middle/western portions of the US, with no real mention of any population movements/how the people living there respond to the change (despite this being a major event similar to the partition of India), and within a few decades the population is pretty much the same numerically, except now it has somehow made an ethnic/cultural transition to be predominantly members of native groups that in the real world have almost vanished due to, y'know, genocide

the "how would you like it colonizer?!"/attempt to redress past wrongs in fiction angle is clear, but while having a Native American state/political faction/whatever be a major player in balkanized post-magic/post-apocalypse US is cool, the problems with the above should be fairly obvious

That makes sense, but sounds more like general plotholes than something akin to racism or stereotyping. And honestly, a re-booted 2050 setting could probably hand-wave/hang a hat on those issues... I guess it could get sticky if it went the direction of re-enacting a "trail of tears" scenario... ok yeah... nevermind... hmm.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Holy crap. I wish I had known this sooner. That changes pretty much everything. A whole new world of biohacking.

I dunno, they still seem kinda bad, overall, though, and I still don't think they can match up with even a lazily built decker.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

jagadaishio posted:

Even aside from their deep mechanical problems, there's also the fact that almost nothing has been done to integrate them into the setting. That's the problem that nobody ever seems to be working to fix - giving them lore and setting integration. If they manage to do that with the new book I'll be shocked, but pleased.

They already had that, didn't they? They had the otaku kids all the way back in 1e (at least hints, anyway) and then after Deus and the Renraku Shutdown the otaku turned into technomancers. They probably just need a decent writer to take all that and flesh it out a bit, but they probably have about as much lore as shedim, it's just all front-loaded in the earlier editions, and almost nothing in 4e or 5e. But honestly all the good writing went off a cliff with 4e, imho.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I think SR5 broke my brain.

As near as I can tell in RAW, a monofilament whip can be a weapon focus because the only stricture I see on weapon foci is "be a melee weapon". Futzing around in chummer I just made a physad who has 13+4d6 initiative, and rolls 20 dice for whip attacks. I got 8 AGI (elf), 6 exotic weapon skill, 3 improved ability, 3 weapon foci bonus. I feel like if I really optimize it can go even further.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

oriongates posted:

I've never been shy about handing out wads of cash. Started my team of 5 with an offer of a 1,000,000$ reward (to be split). Even though they got dicked by the end and ended up with only half that still worked out to 100k each so the street sam who hadn't spent anything yet got his limbs hacked off and replaced with cutting edge cyberarms with all the trimmings, while the mage mostly payed for the cost of summoning so many elementals but had enough left over to shop around for some foci.

Next mission is going to be a long-term sabotage project and that still pays 75k a week (to be split).

Things get crazy, but there's always, always bigger guns on the other side and if the runners get too nuts that just means that they probably wreck their stuff and need to replace it. The team's driver nearly lost their customized citymaster when a troll adept punched through it. Just a hair's breadth away from wrecked in a single hit.

By the way, can you tell I play pink mohawk?

Yeah doesn't just upping the rewards significantly resolve the advancement issues for non-magic/resonance people? Magic/Resonance dudes are pretty heavily karma-bound for advancement, right? i.e. the Magic/Resonance people don't end up wildly OP with lots of money do they?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Food Fight has leads? :thunk:

Speaking of Food Fight 5.0... hoo boy. The writing for "tell it to them straight" is just straight up bad. Those blocks need to be the best writing possible and they're the worst I've seen in a long time. And I don't know who did the map for the McHugh's but it makes zero sense. I've stared at it several times, and I still don't get how the food prep area is supposed to work. It's just a couple grey rectangles in the middle of the floor. It's like this map was made by someone who has never worked fast food in their life, or even been inside a fast food place. Either that, or it's just lazy and bad. I dunno, the whole scenario with Vic Fratelli is kinda dumb, too, compared to the side stuff in Food Fight 4.0.

The Quick-Start rules have quite a few problems, as well. For example, there's a "situational modifier" for decking that (at least that I can see) doesn't appear anywhere in the actual core rulebook, so if Food Fight 5.0 was the first experience for a SR GM, they might think they should apply this modifier any time a decker is in combat. Which is fine, but if it's not in the core rulebook, I'm hesitant to start using it in my own campaign unless decking is just inherently OP to the point that it needs a constant -2 penalty right off the bat (in addition to Noise/Spam/etc.)

My group wanted to do a SR5 one-shot and at this point, I'm probably just going to use Food Fight 4.0, and hope they never see the quick-start rules. FWIW, I've run Food Fight 4.0 a few different times for various groups wanting to try out SR and it has always naturally led into further plot hooks with digging into why the hit squad hits the convenience store, etc. But the story for Food Fight 5.0 just tries too hard to have plot hooks, and just feels forced in so many ways. Instead of just being a cool intro to combat and the setting in 4.0, FF5.0 is very railroady and comes complete with a section on what to do when the party doesn't follow the correct path (which I suspect happens very rarely).

Anyway, sorry for the kneejerk rant, but wanted to get this off my chest and the Food Fight comment about "leads" kinda set me off.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

wiegieman posted:

At this point sr5 has the medical option of "bacta tank full of nanites" where the only real problem is making sure you have a trustworthy AI running the thing (or a technomancer holding a gun to its digital head.)

Do technomancers own all over AIs or something? What about regular deckers?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

jagadaishio posted:

Depends on the scale of AI. Pre-4e AI were digital gods. Literally, there were only like 3 of them and they had an unfathomable scale.

4e forward they're a fragmented mess of digital chumps.

I think what he's referencing is CFD, which Technomancers can '''cure''' by performing digital necromancy - stealing someone's e-ghost from the resonance realms and uploading it to the nanites overwriting their brain. Only Technomancers can do that because Deckers don't have access to the Resonance.

It's even dumber than it sounds.

lol yeah I'm familiar with lore up through 3e, but kinda stopped paying attention after 4e came out. However, the idea of questing through the matrix version of the metaplanes does seem kind of cool to me. Between that and the "deep dives" in Data Trails, there's actually some cool matrix poo poo in 5e, you just have to buy a bunch of extra books to get it, and it feels like you could kind of leverage it into the kind of meta-physical digital weirdness like the snow crash virus from Snow Crash, for example.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

It did, but CGL remains incompetent so the only hard copies were at GenCon, no eta on actual publishing. They also have the .pdf priced at 45 bucks.

whoa isn't that a huge price jump for their PDFs? That's really dumb. Are they just purposely holding back physical copies at this point or something?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

jagadaishio posted:

It used to have some pretense of being it's own thing with it's own set of rules. Now, though, it's gone so far that it has its own metaplanes and an Awakened-analogue that don't even need Mana. That's ridiculous in a bad way, and several steps being what it used to be. Where the Matrix gets fucky it should be because the Matrix is getting fucky, not 'magic and the metaplanes but oooh, Resonance, oooh.'

The "Foundation" has nothing to do with Resonance or Technomancers. Also, the rules for the Foundation runs are specifically created to allow non-Deckers to come along to allow a full adventure path involving the entire party if the GM so desires. If it's not your thing and is irritating to you, I can see where you're coming from, but the Foundation stuff is also decidedly not like the technomancer stuff. Just my $.02, but I really liked it and reading that section in Data Trails instantly sparked my creativity and I started thinking of adventure hooks for running it.

I haven't had that happen from any of the other SR5 books, so far. For the most part they've been rehash of stuff that's been published a billion times before. For example, in a quick perusal of Rigger 5, I didn't see anything that dramatically added to what was available in Rigger 1-4.

The Foundation stuff is really interesting and new, imho, and gets back to some of the concepts of SR1 matrix there were interesting (emphasis on sculpted hosts, node maps, matrix runs as an adventure in themselves) while fixing some of the things that made it onerous (only decker can participate, onerous bookkeeping for a GM who wants to create his own system maps).

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, I definitely understand what you guys are saying and more or less agree. I... still like the CFD/Resonance/Foundation stuff that has recently been released. BUT AGAIN, I absolutely understand what you guys are saying about it maybe feeling "off" or wrong and maybe not fitting into the setting.

In my opinion, that's maybe another symptom of the current CGL model of just conglomerating a bunch of freelance material without any unifying vision or direction. They need a visionary line developer that has a strong ideal about what the setting is and how it should work and what the primary themes should be. Then, if that vision includes weird matrix poo poo, it will be against a backdrop and built up in such a way that it actually fits into those themes.

Honestly, I don't know what will change this with Shadowrun. I don't know who could buy/license the line from Topps that would actually do any better. Maybe FFG, but then we'd get weird dice or something. I don't know...

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

That's about the only way I'd actually want a 6e. If it's the same bumbling freelancer hodge podge that 5e development was, I'll take a hard pass.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

I don't think CGL even sees any gain in making SR6. It'll be too much of a drain of resources that should be going to projects that matter more in their eyes.

:agreed:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Not sure I like the stuff they're doing with Edge. It's obvious they're looking at D&D 5e for inspiration in the "do I have advantage or disadvantage?" and applying a mechanic accordingly. I am one who prefers the crunchiness but I'm wondering if this is just crunch for its own sake, in order to check that box.

And the "leave more up to the GM" turned out to be a big fat excuse for lazy writing and design in D&D 5e, so my default expectation is more of the same, here.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

Too late for that. They've already announced a GenCon release for the book, and printing lead time is ~5 months, so that poo poo's been done and dusted since March.

I can't wait to see how much worse 6e core book is than 5e core book, in terms of editing.

On a side note, I'm also somewhat annoyed that they've been working on this since 2016 (according to Hardy's own words). I mean, a good line developer would probably look at 5e and decide, yeah, let's go back to the drawing board. However, this smells more and more like "well, we do a new edition every 5-6 years... that's just what we do. It's time for everyone to buy new books, muaahahaha!"

I would feel otherwise if there were any acknowledgement at all of all the major issues people have had with 5e, but I don't see any inkling of awareness of that.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

It's been so many years... I don't know if there was a whole lot in 3e that needed fixing... I mean maybe vehicles but lol rigging has almost always been a joke.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Am I remembering right that real world EOD have a metal hood or something with an attached shotgun shell that shreds everything inside?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

Specifically those AI were fragments of Deus.

So about 6e: It's farther along than we thought. They already have the proofs back from the printers.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxNd7LXD81I/

quote:

Printer proofs for the Shadowrun, Sixth World Core Rulebook just showed up. Get to spend the next hour carefully ensuring all is well so the full print run can start!

An hour? That seems like not even close to enough time to go through 300+ pages for layout and content issues. I'm not in publishing, though...

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Those are the exact same arguments I see every time some dipshit tries to rationalize spec work as "not spec work".

"haha yeah we get it, this totally isn't spec work, though... believe us we know the feeling" :fuckoff:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I'm watching the roll4it video...

At what point do CGL and/or whatshisface line developer become self-aware about how bad a gently caress-up 6e is? Has there been any statements about "ah yes we have some issues, we will work on them!" or just total "everything is ok" distortion field?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Goons Are Great posted:

All I can remember is Hardy saying "Oh well, just houserule stuff if it's not in there or you don't like it that much". I doubt he practices a lot of self reflection on how good his work is at this point.

Ahh ok so the Mike Mearls school of D&D 5e game design

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Poil posted:

It's far worse, he is fully prepared to rewrite the whole thing into Shadowrun 5.5. It's kinda impressive actually and he says enjoys the challenge. I just wish he was less smug about it and stopped going on about how unlike the negative whiners he wants it to work.

He has access to adobe reader pro and opened the rulebook .pdf to make his changes. Apparently the book is horrendously poorly thrown together and a complete mess. For example something that would require one box is somehow using multiple boxes in a really inefficient way that makes any editing very laborious and it would be easier to remake it all from scratch. Is anyone surprised at all?

I assume the original layout is done in InDesign, but yeah, I'm sure you can screw up the layout there as much as Acrobat or whatever.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

That's just lovely translation of the early mechanic, which stays nearly word for word identical through the first four editions, and switches to pure game mechanics pablum for 5e and 6e. Essence is not Magic, although it serves as a cap for Magic (barring Initiation).

Let's look at some definitions, since I have literally every PDF for this loving game.

Wow, this is really interesting actually, as a microcosm of how shadowrun has evolved over the editions. SR1 we have a sort of hand-wavey explanation which solidifies over 2,3,4. Then the door flies open and here comes SR5 giving more exposition than anyone ever wanted, and probably disagrees with another section later in the book.

The SR6 explanation is probably a joke, and I don't believe it's real. It's poorly written, and throws out the whole theme of "Essence as humanity" meme and just replaces it with "Essence is just a number. It's a capacity rating."

Every other edition (even 5e) manages to sort of hang a hat on the "this is a character's core humanity, and can be eroded!"

edit: I know the sr6 part is real, but come on, who reads that and goes "yeah this is good!"

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 4, 2019

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

At the risk of being repetitive, it's just sad that a concept that could be pointed out as a core theme of the setting is so flippantly distilled down to a mechanical number. The concepts behind Essence are the core of the cyberpunk genre... but oh well let's dump all that confusing "humanity" business harpdarp this is how much cyberware you get, ok. :v:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I'm the weirdo that actually likes the 4e hacking rules, and that is the edition where hacking works best with the rest of the party without having to divert the entire session.

The 4e hacking rules take a while to wrap your head around though, as they are not well-written. But once I got a good grasp of what it takes to get into a host and what I can do once I get there, it's actually really straightforward (compared to other editions). You essentially make a roll to attempt to compromise a system and then once it's compromised, you have a means to execute other matrix actions like search for a file, control a connected device, etc.

4e hacking had some major issues, though. Because a lot of the hacking rolls are Skill + Program, instead of Character Attribute + Skill, hacking is the most divorced from character build. After you spend points or whatever on maxed out hacking skills, all that matters is how much you spend on deck + programs, and since programs were ridiculously cheap, even for rating 6, you could effectively have a maxed out hacker right out of character creation.

I don't know what the best path to balance is there, whether it's increasing program price or changing what determines the dice pools for the various matrix actions.

In theory, I liked the changes that 5e brought to hacking. The limits make character attributes important again, but MARKs end up being more cumbersome in practice, and while they tried to make combat decking a thing, the implementation of MARKs means that most duders are dead by the time you get enough MARKs and are ready to mess with their gear. That was my experience with 5e, anyway.

So, I don't know... maybe leaving hacking/decking out is the best path in terms of eliminating cumbersome systems and making sure everyone at the table has a good experience, but it's also always been somewhat sad to me, as cyberspace and flying through perplexing 3D VR realms always seemed like a Core Setting Feature.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Didn't Pegasus also end up fixing (i.e. actually editing and giving a poo poo) a lot of 5e books, too?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Goons Are Great posted:

Yup, they edited out straight up mistakes and cleared up what feels like the majority of rules by making the wording actually good. They didn't dare to really change given rules by Catalyst, perhaps they're not allowed to, no idea, but instead even openly suggested to use house rules or offered alternative, optional rules to use instead or in conjunction with what Catalyst gave them, if stuff was really bad.
Also the printed books are of much higher quality.

Basically they never just translate stuff into German, but rewrite, restructure and rebuild the entire source material as much as possible and needed, including the changing the general design and adding a ton of examples on pretty much every rule and detail and add additional stories and fluff.

In Fifth edition that effort of writing more than necessary culminated in Datapuls, a German-only ingame news letter to portrait what happens in the ingame world every month (they had to pause that recently because they were getting ahead of catalyst writing, so instead they switched to monthly game materials like runs and stuff) and the entire series of books in the Datapuls series, which are PDF-only source books for a total of 13 books with detailed information on various German cities and areas to use ingame.

wow... drat... So how much of old Fanpro is Pegasus? I thought Fanpro was originally a German company that picked up printing of SR stuff before IMR/CGL and then I lost track of them when CGL took over everything.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Aeble posted:

Doesn't sound like I'll be making the transition, then.

We made this discovery pretty quick in my old group, and it's the reason that I was tentatively looking towards 5th to actually have a way of letting a player hack stuff. Oh well.

To be honest I wasn't even aware that a 6th edition existed. I'll continue, blissfully ignorant.

in theory, I liked the idea of MARKs in 5e hacking, but in practice they are kind of bad as they needlessly slow things down, so for a decker to do any kind of effective combat hacking (i.e. futzing with enemy cyberware, smart weapons, etc.) it takes multiple combat rounds to get enough marks on the target to even think about issuing commands to something. In 4e, this required a single die roll to "Spoof a command" (IIRC).

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

use it to get an EMP.

That sounds like a fun campaign or one-shot.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Maybe supporting Anarchy is response to low sales of 6e books? I have no idea, really, but I have to imagine all these 6e books they keep releasing are selling like hot garbage.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Burning Bright was a fun book. It's pulpy as hell, but a fun read.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Tippis posted:

I'd say it was somewhere around Cyberpirates that things started to really go downhill, not just because Kane was a nonsensically unkillable mary-sue, but also because it no longer served any real plot purpose and was more to advertise “great characters” the writers had invented and felt a need to share. Then again, Denver had much of the same, but at least the infighting in the Nexus served to progress the story a bit.

I have no idea, but am wondering if this is also around the time they stopped having sourcebooks written by individuals and started moving to the piecemeal model they use today where any given book is parceled out to a squad of freelancers that may or may not work closely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Yes. I've made a few and had my characters play with and against them, just to experience the rules. If they inhabit a lovely device, they are sucky and lovely. If they inhabit a vehicle they are broken. Karma advancement still puts them way behind magicians.... but that's everything.

If he's never played a matrix character before, you will spend a ton of time looking up rules for the setting within the setting (the Matrix), and then the rules for how the AI works with both settings.

Not sure if this was anyone else's experience, but the only way I could wrap my head around 5e matrix characters (AI or otherwise) is to use Herolab which doggedly tracks every insane detail of the matrix devices and all of the possible mods. I hate herolab a lot because it's janky as hell, and the devs gouge the everliving poo poo out of their customers, but 5e has so many layers of cruft for matrix stuff, it was the only way I could even remotely get to a point where it started to be fun.

I think I'm just totally done with 5e at this point. I've got ideas for a SR campaign and I think I'll just do 3e or 4e. So much easier to deal with and requires a lot less excel and/or herolab. anyway thanks for listening to my ted talk