Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Zereth posted:

Pretty sure he'd watched Bubblegum Crisis. Cyberpsychosis is basically the Boomers from it going on a rampage.

Except that he might not have watched it in a language he understood, because the boomers were A: not augmented humans, but robots, and B: the rampages were usually not even malfunctions, it was the corp that made them doing like, assassinations with deniable assets and not caring about collateral damage.

Hardwired is also where Riggers come from, the best I can tell.

Cyberpsychosis is present in the AD Police prequel series, which seems to have come out after Cyberpunk 2013, hmm. Or at least at the same time. But it has people with extensive cybernetics going crazy and being put down by the ADP, including one full replacement borg who has no flesh left but a brain and tongue.

Hardwired is definitely where riggers came from, and the LAVs from the book were lifted right into Shadowrun, even called Panzers in 1st edition... they changed it to T-Birds later. And kept out of the reach of PCs forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

The Lone Badger posted:

Also nerf direct spells like Manabolt and Stunball, or at least the overcasting rules for them. Otherwise your mage will drop entire encounters on his first action.

I've seen "Increase all direct spell drain values by 2 points, reduce all indirect spell drain values by 2" to better balance the two out, though I haven't played with that myself.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

gyrobot posted:

For a meta event, I think using Omega Dawn as a threat to the Runner identity would be interesting given the current mentality of Shadowrunners being corporate mercenaries rather than people thrown to a bad situation and taking up Shadowrunning to deal with it.

The Better Than Bad book presents "'Hooding," IE, doing runs for good causes, as a diametrically opposed option to "typical" Shadowruns. That you're all in one way or the other. I always had the impression that being SINless makes you free to choose what you do, that the above is a false choice and each kind of run is rewarding in its own way, more Karma for "good" ones, more money for corp on corp shenanigans. The rules still present that part.

The original concept was that 'runners are grease (or graphite) in a system full of powers that are at an impasse with each other, they can get things done by being outside the system that no one else can, from the Stuffer Shack owner being overwhelmed by violent gangs that he can't afford to get Lone Star to stop to one giant company needing to rip off or trip up a rival, when using direct assets would start a war (or cause damage to the bottom line).

But even that is all Johnson-related. There's little talk about the Burned Company Man doing his own run to get back at the company that screwed him. There was a lot of mention how smugglers kept the Cascade Orcs going after the Second Crash and are tolerated to this day because of it. Yet with smuggling a huge part of the Sixth World, including having flying tanks engaged in it, it doesn't touch on PC activity, save for the occasional ride at the start of a run. Even though there's usually a template for one.

It seems that there needs to be a much more personalized approach by a GM to putting the PCs goals and issues in a Shadowrun game, up to and including doing their own runs sometimes.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
I ended up with a number of SR 6 books from a Bundle of Holding. There's a book of cards from the "Gun Rack" weapon sourcebook, this is one of them.

They couldn't even manage weapon categories right on single cards. The Valiant LMG is listed as an assault cannon and the Yamaha Raiden is now a sniper rifle (with full auto fire and a built-in grenade launcher). Just appalling, a quality control failure on the most basic level.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
Same as it ever was, the illustration below is from the 1989 Street Samurai Catalog.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
The one thing Magic Fingers seems to lack is an idea of how fast you can move things with it... if you draw your knife or a grenade and want to move it (along the ceiling, since no one looks up) next to an enemy to get to work with it, how long will that take? Levitation has a movement rate generally lower than waking speed in 5e, I recall it was comparable to walking in 4th. But that's lifting hundreds of pounds, while Magic Fingers is working on much less than 50 most of the time.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Noam Chomsky posted:

I’m running a 5e game in January.

Is that edition ok?

I've been having fun playing it, in a campaign that's lasted a couple of years. One can get large die pools, but the inherent limits are a hard cap on how many successes you can roll... a weapon's Accuracy, a spell's Force or skills based on your stats. Even if you have 20 dice of Spellcasting, if you cast a Force 2 spell, you can only score 2 hits with it.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Finster Dexter posted:

Apparently, the Disians straight up clowned Lofwyr. He wasn't prepared, didn't see it coming, has no idea what to do, isn't doing anything at all really, and S-K is deciding to be reactive. Lofwyr will "wait and see" what happens or something.

Read that as "Cloned Lofwyr" at first!

Universal Brotherhood made it clear, nearly textual, that the bugs were a problem Shadowrunners would have to deal with, other institutions already being infiltrated. Was there anything to that effect here? Are any of the big NPCs spreading the word down about this, with a warning or a bounty on the "Devices?" Anything to make this heretofore unrevealed threat player facing at all?

Edit: And how does it work that more than one company is in on this? I can imagine a megacorp doing all sorts of terrible things for mysterious beings in exchange for power/tech/knowledge... but not sharing that with a rival corporation. They're all spying on each other and each knows how making the device works and its impact on things, so it'd be hard to keep that a secret forever.

Wheeljack fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
Hardwired was a big influence on Cyberpunk and Pondsmith and Williams were close enough that they did this sourcebook.

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/2275/HardWired-the-Sourcebook (And put the Delta orbital fighters in a Mekton book).

That said, Shadowrun drew much more directly… the Rigger template was a Panzerboy from the novel and the LAV tanks were literally called Panzers in the first few editions before being changed to “T-Birds”.