Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Rockopolis posted:

I thought SK was basically, boring, but crazy powerful. Not everyone needs a shtick.

I disagree. Around these parts, you come up with a gimmick, then apply character building rules to it.

I was allowed to play the decker who speaks only in lolcats for exactly seven minutes. :( Apparently "I can has job?" was the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Piell posted:

So did a little playing around with ware. You can get Alphaware Wired Reflexes 1, Used Reaction Enhancers 3, Used Muscle Toner 3, and Used Muscle Augmentation 3 for 217,800 nuyen (leaving 57200 if you went priority B for Resources), leaving 1.775 essence. That's +10 to attributes and +1d6 initiative for a priority B, which is a pretty good deal for a Street Sam without having to go to resources A.

Limit of +4 from augmentations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

riggsninja posted:

So I'm not sure how much use this is to anyone else, or if there's something else like this already out there, but I put together a spreadsheet for creating SR5 characters.

It'll calculate your limits and knowledge skills, all that junk, but you'll have to do most augmented stuff manually. I'm also still working my through the rules so there may still be mistakes.

Let me know what you think.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqqN7iDNBDXqdEhrSTlvM2xXOFdwT2RpekQtSl9acWc#gid=0

You need to "File > Make a copy" before you can start filling stuff out.

Works good. Issue, though: Contains no area for Contacts, nor the free points for buying contacts (Charisma x3)

- It also allows me to set, say, "Skills", to multiple priorities.

- Allows me to choose Troll if I have race at the wrong priority.

- Text alignment between cells H24-26 and H27-28 are different. This isn't a bug, it just bothers me.

- Limits aren't being calculated with augmentations factored in.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 7, 2013

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Rules question:

Let's say I take two skills at creation, for example Disguise and Sneaking each at rank 4.

Later on, I throw a bunch of karma into a hole and buy Palming up to 4. I now have all three skills in one group at the same rank, does that mean I can begin advancing it as a group?

Short version, I know you can break up a group and recombine it later, but can you combine three skills you've never taken as a group?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Tias posted:

I haven't read my 5E a whole lot, but I'm pretty sure I read that that was possible! As long as you have them at the same rating, of course.

We're not sure. I need a page number I can hurl at someone on this one, unfortunatley. All we can find for certain is that you can re-combine a previously broken group.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

You sure can, PG 129:

Skill groups are a collection of skills (usually three,
but sometimes four) based around a core concept.
For example, the Outdoors skill group brings together
Navigation, Survival, and Tracking, all the sort of skills
an outdoorsman would have. You can purchase a skill
group for less than it costs to take the three skills individually.
Having a skill group at a certain rating is
the same as having the three skills in the skill group at
that rating. For example, if you’ve got Outdoors 5 and
you’re trying to track a basilisk through the forests of
the Salish-Shidhe Council, you’d roll as though you had
Tracking 5 because it’s part of the Outdoors skill group.
Skill group advancement uses special rules. If you
want to advance one skill from the group without advancing
the rest, the skill group is broken and and you
get each of the skills in the group at the former group
rating; then you can increase one of the skills. If you
want to get the skill group back (or get a new one), you
must first get all of the skills in the group to the same
rating.
For more detailed information, see Character Advancement,
p. 103.

But what if you've never had them as a group?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

TriggerHappy posted:

Bolded part mentions "Or get a new one", should be fine.

Me am can read good.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Looks like for the spreadsheet above, the money priority is being done wrong. As I moved money from A to E, it went 450,000->27,500->140,000->50,000->6,000.

You missed a zero, I think on D.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

riggsninja posted:

Good catch. Missing 0 is on B, should be 275,000.

Here's the new spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqqN7iDNBDXqdDQ2UTJ0eEo4MTJvTEs5YnhxUjRDN2c&usp=sharing

-the missing 0 is fixed
-there's a section for contacts now
-limits will use Augmented values now
-fixed an alignment thing (initiative)
-Magic is now affected by essence loss (under the augmented column)
-Special attribute bonus will be -1 if you've picked a race you dont have the priority for.

I tried to add special formatting to highlight errors like selecting the same priority twice or the wrong race, but apperently that only exists in excel, not google docs, sorry.

I was going to say "Conditional Formatting" until you said google docs. If you're going to grow this project, you may have to go to .xlsx and maybe dropbox or something to store it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Somehow our tabletop Shadowrun team's slogan has become "We can get paid twice for this!".

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Okasvi posted:

Regarding the earlier discussion about magic bullets. Couldn't you just sidestep the whole action economy issue by not making your magic bullets out of real bullets and just make them out of etched spent shell casings filled with reagent paste or something.

This is not how bullets work.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

PierreTheMime posted:

If you're trying to avoid all social contact because you have a Logic, Intuition, and Charisma of one and are literally being combat-dropped into a battle and do nothing else, I suppose that's your prerogative but I couldn't expect the severe flaws of other people not to impact you (and vice versa).

In 4e I had an idea for a character that had 1s in all its stats, but used all the other stuff to buy a Troll, keep it in a secured box, and stuff it full of K10 day in and day out. He didn't solve any problems, but he watched a lot of problems work themselves out.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Cabbit posted:

They're a computerized system, I would have to assume they have off switches-- or, at the very least, can be rebooted. Presumably, for that matter, if you're about to have maintenance work done on them, you'd probably want to power them down.

If that's the best thing you can do to a car, let someone else handle the decker son, because you are NOT READY.

code:
LOADING HACKING TOOLS...
Airbags = YES;
Radio = POLKA;
...Command accepted.  Beginning Steering Calibration.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 27, 2013

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Rockopolis posted:

Because not everyone is an Aztechnology Blood Mage deriving power and enjoyment from slaughter?
It's a good way to weaken opposing forces for a long time without actually murdering people.

Speaking of crazy evil spellslingers, Novacoke boosts your Charisma, which helps Shamans resist drain.
Therefore, Snowflame the Toxic Shaman of Cocaine!

If this character's appearance isn't a picture of Doctor Rockso, the Rock and Roll Clown, I don't want to know you. :colbert:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

What situations are you going to be in where you want to c) make them suffer long term?

I don't know what SR game YOU'RE playing in, but this is incredibly useful.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Does anyone have that Excel sheet that was posted for SR5? The one some goon made, i forget who.

Also, let's say you take Exceptional Logic or a piece of cyberware that augments your logic such as a Cerebral Booster. Do these things give you knowledge skill points at creation or otherwise?

Example:

Character with 6 logic, 5 int gets 22 knowledge points off the line. What happens in these scenarios?

A) He adds Exceptional Logic and Cerebral Booster 1 to go up to 8 during creation. Does this yield 26 points?

B) He takes Logic or Booster after creation?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 27, 2013

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bularin posted:

I refuse to believe that the roll for driving a rigged car can possibly be REA+Pilot.

Without looking at the book, this doesn't seem that odd. When you're jumped into a rigged vehicle/drone, you ARE the vehicle.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bularin posted:

Gotta disagree. Reaction, body, strength, and agility are all physical attributes, and don't really apply in any way when you're just a data stream in a machine. Your body's motor reflexes just don't mean anything when it's effectively an empty house.

Page 264:

quote:

"When you jump into a vehicle or drone, your control rig feeds information to your brain to make you feel like the machine you’re jumping into. There’s a bit of a virtual transformation process that takes a second or two, helping ensure that the change doesn’t hit you like a brick to the noggin. After that, your control rig uses signals from your brain to control the machine, so it moves the way you want it to, so seamlessly that you might as well be one being. Acceleration, braking, maneuvering, all as easy wiggling your big toe or shifting your weight in your meat body.

There’s more to a control rig than just movement. It also interprets input from the vehicle and feeds it to your brain as sight, sound, feeling, scents, and other sensations.

An empty gas tank feels like hunger. A sensor package becomes your eyes and ears. The rigger interface package comes with an accelerometer so you can feel balance. And of course, damage feels like pain.

You are the vehicle.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Laphroaig posted:

Basically I can't recommend the system do anything but what it does, which is let you play a magic elfman with a cyberman buddy doing the bidding of a shadowy Corporate Johnsonman.

This. SR is so many moving parts together that it doesn't repurpose well.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Diaghilev posted:

Feel free to use him as an NPC or player character or whatever. I've been keeping the character sheet up to date with party karma, but the only thing past what he came out of chargen with is 18 karma spent on three ranks of "Will To Live". He was firmly in the realm of GM beatstick/liquid preposterone when he still had (an incorrect) 13 STR, but now he's much more on the level. I'm currently playing a pretty straightforward young prodigy mage, but if he bites it, gets too injured to continue, or just flat out retires, REX EVERYMAN is on deck.

I wish I could make that name look like it was on fire. Blue fire.

REXEVERYMAN

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Gort posted:

Has anyone seen/made a decker designed to use decking in combat? Is that even possible?

Mine has 9 Logic, 6 Cybercombat(Specializing in Personas), a mid-range deck, a quality for +2 dice on Data Spike, and the Biofeedback and Hammer programs.

17 dice, Limit of 7. Edge it for 5 more dice and blow past the limit.

Edit: extra dice for marks and hotsim as well, not included here.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 9, 2013

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

I've seen one, and he spends every combat struggling to get marks on anything and spending every pass spamming matrix perception tests before the more combat-focused characters flatten the opposition forces.

This has not been my experience. I've ended combats by both bricking cyberlegs and getting marks on a car and then using the command ability to set AIRBAGS = YES.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

So instead of doing something useful like releasing eratta or new sourcebooks (coming this fall, we swear!), Catalyst puts out and ebook on Assassins...what the gently caress guys.

I'm not a nice person:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Gort posted:

I always wondered if it could be possible to sell errata stickers you use to just cover up the old rules with new ones.

I was going to do this to my book regardless of whether or not they sell them.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

For those who haven't seen it, the new-ish Shadowrun computer game is getting geared up to release some DLC. They have a teaser image for it that owns pretty hard.

This is for Shadowrun Returns?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Zereth posted:

Couldn't you deal with that by A: being an elf, and B: getting a lot of actions out of the init system so you could move your run speed every one of them? Wait now we're back to needing init bonuses again :v:

No, you only move a fixed amounte per combat turn, broken up over all your initiative passes.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Where does "NO BATMAN VILLAINS." fall along the pink-mirrorshades spectrum?

You don't see a corpse, that guy isn't dead.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Tippis posted:

I'd say that it is only barely outside of the deep pink zone. There's still enough variation and leeway in the silliness available for them to not be all-mirriorshades. I mean, the classic SR opponent isn't even necessarily a villain, and the mirrorshade spectrum just means they'll sit safely in their CEO and high political offices and scheme, without the characters ever being able to touch them until every piece of the puzzle is in place.

“No batman villain” still leaves the full spectrum of, say, Bond villains, which can be… ehm… pretty outrageous and silly too. I'd say that many of the canonical badguys fit well into that kind of categorisations, even edging towards Batman territory since they're backed by magic and various paranormal phenomena. Beyond that, they just need a fuckton of henchmen and an underground lair… and which A+ corp doesn't have access to that?

I should have been more clear. "No Batman Villains!" is an actual quote spoken by multiple members of the group just prior to comedy-murdering someone.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Tippis posted:

Ah… were the talking about themselves or the victim? :D

If you leave someone for dead, no matter what happened (on fire, fell off a building, into the ocean, etc), they WILL come back, and they will have approximatley ALL THE CYBERWARE from last time you met them.

Do not create a batman villain for yourself.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I can't wait until this run ends.

Currently our rag-tag team is:

- On a mission to finger-quotes-rescue someone's finger-quotes-son. No one is sure if the word 'rescue' was a euphimism for 'extract', 'assassinate', or 'rescue', and the result will likely depend on which member of the team enters the room first.
- Not being paid, as the rigger took the run to pay for his RCC/VCR/etc
- Which he has no idea how to use, both in character and out.
- and whiffed a negotiate roll, indebting himself to the team's Face 15,000y
- and has yet to establish how he will be paying:
1) The shotgun dwarf
2) The PhysAd mercernary
3) The stoner mage who is tired of working at SoyBucks Coffee.
- or how to pay the Runner-cum-Aztechnology-Delivery-Girl with the rocket skates and the PhysAd powers who was technically kidnapped and dragged on this run, and is planning to put a bullet in her own head as soon as the team re-enters a Docwagon response zone (me)

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 10, 2013

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Tias posted:

So the 5E Rulebook offers a plot hook about the Povryejhda buying up a large barrens area, throwing up a big astral ward and lots of protection around it, to further a secret plan. This sounds like a neat idea for a game, what do you guys think it could be?

An elaborate series of red herrings.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Zereth posted:

Wait, DocWagon can fix massive brain trauma now?

Putting up with the team is causing me massive brain trauma.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

Shadowrun is very much like AD&D in that the rules are bloated and convoluted that every group has their own set of houserules. These aren't even necessarily developed consciously, but often simply emerge from just trying to play the game.

When I started in my current 5e game, I was playing a decker, and the 'visual' representation of the matrix changed from 2e to 4e to 5e depending on how the GM felt that week. It was bad rear end.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sapphaholic posted:

Although realistically--my runners are trigger happy. If they act like they did in the previous run, they're likely going to die whether I want them to or not. Last week was in the Barrens, yeah, but they:

1) Opened fire on a group of three low-level gangers at a street blockade who had not provoked the runners--the gangers just wanted a share of the pizza.
2) Ran over three Rusted Stilletos members, proceeded to headshot one of them with a sniper rifle out the back of a moving armored car, blow up two others with a grenade, and then mind controlled three others to get them to go all Mexican Standoff on each other

This sounds like Shadowrun.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 8, 2014

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Nyaa posted:

This box has all you need to play a game of Shadowrun, including:

* Rules of the Street: An 88-page rulebook designed to be accessible and simple to use.
* Plots and Paydata: 80 pages of adventures and tips for any Shadowrungamemaster.
* Eight double-sided maps to help players and GMs track the action.
* 110 spell, weapon, and gear cards for quick reference.
* 5 pre-generated characters players can use right away.

I'm just asking questions, guys.

Edit:

:siren::siren: HOLY poo poo THEY ANSWERED ME

Catalyst Game Labs Yes, errata is worked into the Digital Tools Box, and the characters work. They are not intended, however, to startup characters--they are advanced some to enhance game play right out of the box. The errata will release very soon.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 31, 2014

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

OB_Juan posted:

BIOTECH SKILL GROUP (P. 153, SKILL GROUP LIST)
Biotechnology should be added to Biotech skill group

Good place for it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

LGD posted:

I quite liked this typo (emphasis added)-

:pervert:

rear end-ault cannon.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fitzdraco posted:

My 3.5 d20 group wanted a change, so we're switching over to 5e Shadowrun. I'm setting up the introductory game and I have a couple of questions about stuff I either missed or isn't in there. The first run is going to involve extracting a target from a hostile concert. Are there any rules for dealing with moving through or fighting mobs? Also, if the run is successful it's going to put a negative quality distinctive style on some of the members, is it appropriate to give them the karma they would have gotten for taking it or is it just one of those things runners have to deal with?

I don't think I'd keep playing in a game where negative qualities were forced on me without the appropriate karma bonus.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Zereth posted:

I stand by my assertion the last time we had this conversation, that you can turn off your wireless on your gear, but it's also illegal as gently caress and if anybody notices you anyway, you're basically wearing a bright neon "I AM COMMITTING A SERIOUS CRIME" sign. Even being able to is an illegal modification.

Got a page number? This sounds wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Poil posted:

To be fair, it probably only counts if you're unable to hold a normal non-awkward conversation and that you actually talk about things other than your obsession.

Actual Shadowrun: How many fake licenses do you need to buy before you're allowed to just throw your arms up and yell gently caress counting all this poo poo? Up to 12 now. Amusingly enough a strength 9 cyberarm with no enhancement is ok but a strength 3 with a +1 needs a license. Also having blades and/or spikes come out of your hands is perfectly fine as well.

Our group has been handwaving licenses pretty hard because they can rapidly escalate to that complexity level.