Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Barca will sign their plan B as centerback, some cheap-rear end player to fill the numbers (as their main targets are not available).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Even the Barca B team needs a CB. They have no one to poach right now.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
There is a Ex Barca CB in literal slavery in England at the moment. Its probably time to have Xavi hold a press conference.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Rosell said that they were going to sign another player, hopefully a CB and one that isn't a midget.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Byolante posted:

There is a Ex Barca CB in literal slavery in England at the moment. Its probably time to have Xavi hold a press conference.

He was let go on a free because he's not good enough for Barcelona or La Liga.

Trotski Icepick
Mar 20, 2011

Suqit posted:

I think they'll sign a CB. If not, then they still have Pique, Puyol, Bartra, and Mascherano. As long as they don't lose 3 of the 4 (again) they should be alright.

Transfer season isn't over yet but what I don't understand is why this wasn't priority one for them. The problem is that one will get injured (Puyol) and this leads to an injury cascade when the important matches roll around at the end of the season and then they can't field their strongest team.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Trotski Icepick posted:

Transfer season isn't over yet but what I don't understand is why this wasn't priority one for them. The problem is that one will get injured (Puyol) and this leads to an injury cascade when the important matches roll around at the end of the season and then they can't field their strongest team.

It seems like it has been to me, its just the really good CBs they went after weren't available; Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Agger, etc. They will probably do another Chygryinskiyiyiyi and buy someone poo poo for 30 million then sell him for 5 a year later.

I still have high hopes that Bartra will make good and solve the problem all together.

northward
Feb 21, 2006

ABERDEEN ARE AWESOME
fit like
:love:moray cup:love:
:love:sheep:love:

:love:haim:love:

Suqit posted:

It seems like it has been to me, its just the really good CBs they went after weren't available; Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Agger, etc. They will probably do another Chygryinskiyiyiyi and buy someone poo poo for 30 million then sell him for 5 a year later.

I still have high hopes that Bartra will make good and solve the problem all together.

Bartra is just so suspect positionally and defensively, I feel confident he will never make it at Barcelona. He was getting ragdolled by tiny strikers in the pre season friendlies there.

A much better prospect is Bagnack, but he is too young right now

Edit: Dont type good

northward fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 6, 2013

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Suqit posted:

I think they'll sign a CB. If not, then they still have Pique, Puyol, Bartra, and Mascherano. As long as they don't lose 3 of the 4 (again) they should be alright.

I though Puyol was broken and might have to retire if he gets injured again.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

No right minded person can count on Puyol. I love him but its irresponsible for a team to count him amongst their options. What Barcelona is then left with is one excellent CB, one good CB who is a liability on balls in the air, and one unproved CB who hasn't looked strong in his last outings. Seeing as how Mascherano has a tendencies of picking up cards over the course of the season I'm very worried. The team is just being stubbornly irresponsible at this point. Theyre allowed to sign players who aren't big name stars.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

BWV posted:

No right minded person can count on Puyol. I love him but its irresponsible for a team to count him amongst their options. What Barcelona is then left with is one excellent CB, one good CB who is a liability on balls in the air, and one unproved CB who hasn't looked strong in his last outings. Seeing as how Mascherano has a tendencies of picking up cards over the course of the season I'm very worried. The team is just being stubbornly irresponsible at this point. Theyre allowed to sign players who aren't big name stars.

Honestly at this point I'll be happy with just a CB who isn't a kid and who is taller than 1.80m.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

BWV posted:

I don't think they're being stubborn. It's not easy to find a CB that will fit into the passing style of the team, and also someone who is good enough to displace the others already there. There is still time left, and 99% of the transfer chatter I read involving Barcelona involves them searching for a CB. Combine the difficulty finding the right player with the fact they just got a new manager along with their first three choices not being available and it's not shocking they haven't signed one yet.

The only signing this year has been Neymar. It's not like they've signed 5 players and no CB. They signed Neymar and have been working on a CB ever since. The management have all said publicly they are trying to find a CB.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Suqit posted:

I don't think they're being stubborn. It's not easy to find a CB that will fit into the passing style of the team, and also someone who is good enough to displace the others already there. There is still time left, and 99% of the transfer chatter I read involving Barcelona involves them searching for a CB. Combine the difficulty finding the right player with the fact they just got a new manager along with their first three choices not being available and it's not shocking they haven't signed one yet.

The only signing this year has been Neymar. It's not like they've signed 5 players and no CB. They signed Neymar and have been working on a CB ever since. The management have all said publicly they are trying to find a CB.

La Liga starts next week though, they have to hurry up and sign someone fast, Mascherano wasn't exactly known for his passing before joining Barcelona and he adapted just fine, Puyol also can't pass for poo poo and he's team captain, we just need someone who can loving defend, leave the passing to Pique and the other 9 players on the field.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I wonder what Barca would look like with a three man backline. It just seems much more suited to their play style. I know the fullbacks always go on these long rear end runs in to the other half; wouldn't it just be more efficient to play with wingbacks instead? I guess then you need three "center" backs, but really you just need three competent defenders.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I wonder what Barca would look like with a three man backline. It just seems much more suited to their play style. I know the fullbacks always go on these long rear end runs in to the other half; wouldn't it just be more efficient to play with wingbacks instead? I guess then you need three "center" backs, but really you just need three competent defenders.

Under Pep they sort of did this a few times. Busquets would drop back to make a defensive three with Pique and Mascherano. Then Alves and Alba would play as Wingbacks/Wide midfielders with Iniesta and Xavi in the middle.
It worked a few times but because Alves and Alba are so aggressive it often left the flanks even more open than usual.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Danish media is pretty sure that Agger will be going to Barcelona. Reports came out around March that he were almost a Barca players last year but Vilanova called it off at the last moment because he wanted to give Bartha a run out.

quote:

I wonder what Barca would look like with a three man backline.
Pep tried that a few times in his last season, didn't work out. You have to remember that a three man backline in it's essence is a more defensively formation than a 4 back because you keep 3 CBs back home.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Hegav posted:

Pep tried that a few times in his last season, didn't work out. You have to remember that a three man backline in it's essence is a more defensively formation than a 4 back because you keep 3 CBs back home.

It is definitely more defensive; I was just thinking that it might solve a few of Barca's problems (not that they have many). I guess you do need some pretty specific types of players to do it with, and you have to be comfortable managing it.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
At this point I think they should move Valdes to CB. Let Oier man the net.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
They play with 3 back everytime they have the ball. CBs widen slightly and Busquets drops back. Alba and Alves are wingbacks.

And I would say they do this the vast majority of the time, whether they line up that way at the beginning or not.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I remember reading not long after Martino's appointment that he might bring one of the defenders he'd coached at Newell's, but I can't remember the name of the guy. Maybe a plan b if they can't get Agger?

Trotski Icepick
Mar 20, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

I remember reading not long after Martino's appointment that he might bring one of the defenders he'd coached at Newell's, but I can't remember the name of the guy. Maybe a plan b if they can't get Agger?

I think that may have been Santiago Vergini but he signed with Estudiantes.

Trotski Icepick fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 6, 2013

Marcetol
Nov 9, 2009
Agger is not the answer to Barcas problem. They need a defender who can actually tackle. Everytime someone with a bit of pace ran at them last year they just backed off and backed off and backed off and back... oops, goal!

Vincent Kompany would have been ideal

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

Suqit posted:

/Barca rage
The "our style of play is so special its hard to find a CB" reasoning was used by Pique last week and its really stupid. If Barcelona didn't have their heads so far up their cules they might realize that in actual footballrules conceding a goal is worse than having some half decent passer in the backline that actually can defend. Stop focusing on having over 65% of possesion and get a defender so we don't have to see Adriano and Song pairing up as CBs when CL knockout stages start. Also Bartas is poo poo and is just in the squad to make up the numbers. Not counting token academy defender there is one healthy CB in the squad and a defensive midfielder who didn't cut it at his position so he gets to play defender since there is no one else. I still blame Laportas and Peps Ibra/Villa stupidity over this, but even with that money they would probably just have used them on lovely Arsenal players to man the bench.
/Barca rage

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

uno.mannschaft posted:

/Barca rage
The "our style of play is so special its hard to find a CB" reasoning was used by Pique last week and its really stupid. If Barcelona didn't have their heads so far up their cules they might realize that in actual footballrules conceding a goal is worse than having some half decent passer in the backline that actually can defend. Stop focusing on having over 65% of possesion and get a defender so we don't have to see Adriano and Song pairing up as CBs when CL knockout stages start. Also Bartas is poo poo and is just in the squad to make up the numbers. Not counting token academy defender there is one healthy CB in the squad and a defensive midfielder who didn't cut it at his position so he gets to play defender since there is no one else. I still blame Laportas and Peps Ibra/Villa stupidity over this, but even with that money they would probably just have used them on lovely Arsenal players to man the bench.
/Barca rage

I agree with everything but Mascherano. He's a fantastic DM, and just happens to be behind one of the top 5 or so defensive midfielders in the world. He's also a very good center back, but Barcelona's style leaves them very vulnerable to a top-level counter, which means we need someone really really good to make up for that.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Can any RM fan tell me how they expect their midfield to line up next season? It seems to me it's even more packed than Barca's, some players are not going to be happy.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

This is how the team will most likely look against Betis based on who has started and played the most in the pre-season.
Varane/Pepe, Arbeloa/Carvajal. Xabi Alonso and Illarramendi is injured.

Two of the midfield slots will be taken by Alonso, Illarramendi, Khedira or Casemiro. Modric can play both deep or further up field. Guess Özil and Isco will just run around as it pleases them.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
So is Kaka the Brazilian Bogarde? He'll be lucky if he gets to play in the Copa del Rey.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Btw was just watching a football show here and they were talking about Monaco and what their line up is going to be and I saw Abidal there and it pissed me off so much that he was let go, what a loving stupid decision by Rosell and Zubizarreta.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

We don't speak of Kaka.. man what a mistake that transfer was.

Abidal were called up for the French national team as well. Barca really should have given him another year.

northward
Feb 21, 2006

ABERDEEN ARE AWESOME
fit like

Hegav posted:

Abidal were called up for the French national team as well. Barca really should have given him another year.

Theres a school of thought that says Rosell let him go because he didnt want the team to potentially be set back by heartbreak again should anything happen to him.

Thats not my school of thought though, I think Rosell should get to gently caress and let Laporta come back. The CB problems not being solved at all since his entrance is another symptom of his bad management IMO.

Edit: ridiculous mistakes

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Hegav posted:

Poor Ricky, come home to Milan (for free).

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

northward posted:

Theres a school of thought that says Rosell let him go because he didnt want the team to potentially be set back by heartbreak again should anything happen to him.

Thats not my school of thought though, I think Rosell should get to gently caress and let Laporta come back. The CB problems not being solved at all since his entrance is another symptom of his bad management IMO.

Edit: ridiculous mistakes

The one who's really awful at his job is Zubizarreta not Rosell, too bad Txiki Begiristain went to ManCity he was great.

northward
Feb 21, 2006

ABERDEEN ARE AWESOME
fit like

El Hefe posted:

The one who's really awful at his job is Zubizarreta not Rosell, too bad Txiki Begiristain went to ManCity he was great.

Arguing with Pep in the press and getting papers to write the Pep didnt visit Tito in hospital was really scummy

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

northward posted:

Arguing with Pep in the press and getting papers to write the Pep didnt visit Tito in hospital was really scummy

Pep has nothing to do with Barca now, he's just a rival manager now, and Pep was the one who started the whole thing anyway.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Kaka is probably the worst transfer of all time, all things considered. It's ridiculous. It seems like he was brought in without any plan whatsoever and has been completely overshadowed by Ronaldo. It's sad that it ended up this way, he was quite possibly the best player in the world for a while before he went to RM.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Without any plan? The plan for him was to play well. A lot of Madrid fans were more excited about Kaka signing than Ronaldo.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

El Hefe posted:

So is Kaka the Brazilian Bogarde? He'll be lucky if he gets to play in the Copa del Rey.

Kaka is the worst transfer in the history of earth.

I don't know if it's his stuborness, Madrid's, or both, but he should have left ages ago.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 10, 2013

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

€68.500.000, not to mention his insane wage.. :negative:

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Hegav posted:

Without any plan?

He seemed more like a vanity signing. Another galactico as a statement of itent rather than thinking out how to actually use him. Of course, he got the case of "Aging Brazilian Footballer In Europe"-syndrome a bit early though so I don't think he's been doing his best to fit in either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Tbh he's very well liked in the squad and good mates with the Portuguese players. Kaka arrived and kept getting serious knee injury, losing pace each time. Ancelotti has put him on "special" training and told him to hit the gym and get some muscles. Will be interesting to see if he can fix him but I doubt it.

• Locked thread