Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

Kinda makes you wonder, what standard appliance cars from today will be the cool old cars of 40 years from now?
We had a great thread a few months ago that was like "what cars from today will be collector cars in the future?" This question is kind of the opposite of that thread.

I'm sorta thinking some of the early plastic Saturns would be good candidates for quirky old cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I've often wondered what a nightmare it will be to get all of the computers in cars these days properly running 40 years from now.

I imagine at some point manufacturers will standardize on some set of sensors and central computers (if they haven't already), but until then... man. Like imagine starting one of today's fords 60 years from now and seeing microsoft's ford sync boot up... it'd be like seeing the logo for the univac

cool car though, I have a thing for 80s gauge clusters and these look 80s as hell

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A friend of mine recently picked up a 323, the previous owner said it was an 85 but it's more likely an 84. He took me for a spin in it yesterday and I love it.

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
A-plate is 83/84. And I'm familiar with that car! It was for sale a while back with the standard wheels on. Given how well the front valances like to rot on those, combined with the rarity of the 4-door, looks a bit of find.

Since there's 323s all over the joint I might as well post up this other one I often forget I have, since I've owned it for years and haven't driven it legally on a road due to rot/car-hoarding problems. The quality of the digital photo probably gives you an idea of how long I've had it:

Registered 85, just before they replaced them with the new BF-based model from the OP. I think in the US they were still called a GLC by then. Must have seemed pretty hilariously dated in comparison with the latest in late 70s technology, but they'd upgraded to the "big block" 1500 motor by then.

As a fan of oddball or formerly popular cars I'd love to go to that Concours D' LeMons show, seems completely in line with my ethos. You get to see conventional classics pretty easily if you go looking for them, when do you get to look at super-clean old 323 wagons?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah he picked it up with the standard wheels on it from retrorides, there's apparently not too many of them about. It's in really nice condition though the build quality is questionable, the boot lid is as flimsy as tinfoil and the entire structure of the car doesn't exactly seem very solid either. Lovely car though.

He talked about modifying it but I've told him I'd cut him if he did, it's in such great condition he needs to keep it as stock as possible or at least do non-invasive surgery on it if he has to touch it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Its amazing how close the GLC ones and the 85-87 models looked on the front, the 88-89 US models made the headlights less tall and that made it look more modern.

I just realized I have the non US legal old rear lap belts in a box, they must have been changed at one time or another. Oddly enough, the rear shoulder belts remind me of 70s Mercedes or Volvo belts, where the buckle doesn't pass the webbing through there is a lap retractor and a shoulder adjuster.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bwaaaarp. That's my friend driving it, he's 6'7" and his head is an inch off the headliner.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

88h88 posted:

Bwaaaarp. That's my friend driving it, he's 6'7" and his head is an inch off the headliner.

Makes you wonder where manufacturers get the proportions of people from. I had a series 3 Nissan Bluebird. I'm 6' (or at least was) and my head was buried in the headliner. Same goes for any Falcons from the EA to EL. ACVWs and the Lada had / have heaps of head room. The one universal thing is headrests are always wrong.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

General_Failure posted:

Makes you wonder where manufacturers get the proportions of people from.

Japan. I fit in a Miata and Skyline perfectly because I am small like a Japanese person.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

88h88 posted:

I have a 6'8" friend who drives a BG protege DX. It was his grandmother's and has ~40k on it.

If it were an LX I would probably murder him and steal it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

I have a 6'8" friend who drives a BG protege DX. It was his grandmother's and has ~40k on it.

If it were an LX I would probably murder him and steal it.

You can buy someone's AWD BP powered MX3 for $2500. Located in Windsor, Ontario.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wow, cardomain is an even bigger piece of poo poo site than I remember.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Haven't had time to really do anything with the wagon. I'm considering redoing both torn outer axle boots since I already purchased replacements, but having time with a family is nonexistent. Shocks are next on the list, I'm really trying to limit the money I'm putting into this since I don't think I'll be keeping it that long. Toaster_pastry, you still want it?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep, get used to not having a whole lot of time for cars when you have a family....Not that it's a bad thing though. I literally had to take vacation time off work so I could get my cars up to date with regular maintenance and worn parts needing to be replaced. I still have a full set of pads and rotors sitting in the shed for the Miata that have been there for months, but at least I was able to put a good dent in the parts pile while on vacation :unsmith:

If I were close to you I'd snag the wagon in a heartbeat.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

leica posted:

Yep, get used to not having a whole lot of time for cars when you have a family....Not that it's a bad thing though. I literally had to take vacation time off work so I could get my cars up to date with regular maintenance and worn parts needing to be replaced. I still have a full set of pads and rotors sitting in the shed for the Miata that have been there for months, but at least I was able to put a good dent in the parts pile while on vacation :unsmith:

If I were close to you I'd snag the wagon in a heartbeat.

Do what I do sometimes. Get up before sunrise, hand tools only and keep it quiet. Cutting my sleep short is the only way I can get poo poo done usually without screwing someone else over. Although the last couple of days my other half was very understanding and let me finish the welding work that had been sitting incomplete for months because of family stuff and "Winter". Repair work needed to stop the rain from coming into the back of the vehicle. Rain which was happening every goddamn night.

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
What's happening with the wagon?

I got the paint sorted out on the hatchback, just need some buffing:

Also need to repaint the wheels, one of four completed (other side).

Just noticed I need to repaint the wiper arms too. Wish I'd not looked.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Keeping this out of archives I haven't done much with it, least of all finished smog/registration. I'll hopefully get some time tomorrow to finish diagnosing the evap system not purging, but otherwise its ready to sell. I don't feel like destroying it with two young children when there's likely a dozen of these in good condition. Should I ebay it with the GTX included as a parts car. "Including rust free AWD donor car!"

edit: The rear AWD subframe bolts int!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I haven't smogged it because it seemed to me the evap system didn't work correctly, which is a death sentence in one of California's Enhanced Smog Check areas. I checked all of the tank seals, the cap, the solenoids, the charcoal canister, hoses, everything. I went through the entire FSM section on the evap system at least twice before I thought to test the neutral safety switch. The logic of the system is you have to be in gear (netural switch open) and be over 2000RPM for the evap solenoid to actuate, and then purge the canister/tank. The switch is permanently shorted. I just unplugged it, and the system functions perfectly, and it looks like the tank still is sealed.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If you ever need a clutch I've got a new Exedy kicking around (from when I was going to put a BF trans behind the BP in my Festiva, but decided I didn't want to make new trans mounts so I stayed with the stock trans) I'll let go for criminally cheap. Also that's fuckin' incredible I've never seen a BF that cherry. A couple BGs that have come close (and they were enthusiast-owned so they'd had a ton of bodywork done) but 'still has most of the quarter panels on it' is considered good shape for a BF around here.
e: oh didn't read that last post I guess if you're gonna flip it you're probably not interested.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 23, 2013

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Actually since its daily driven a lot and I'm going to do a 5th gear swap, I'll totally take it. Send me an email to djcommie at gmale.

It passed smog perfectly, the numbers were closer to a new car than a 240K mile vehicle. Original cat too!

edit: I'm really thinking about that GTX swap, but I could just run this gearbox until it explodes while still running the GTX engine. Rear suspension swap is the hard one, I think it can be done, but not sure what I'd have to do.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 13, 2014

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The tires are far older than I will admit (2005?), and I wanted some decent tires, which aren't available for 13x5.5" wheels. I ended up getting my favorite factory wheel, the 2002-03 Lancer OZ Rally wheel. I got a set of 4 for $350 shipped off eBay. They're 15x6", which is a bit of a requirement since there isn't much wheel well available.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nice, I always liked those.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh man where was that deal when I was trying to outfit a GX FC with wheels?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I never got the wheels. The seller never added tracking info, and they had been 'delivered' to my house on the 31st. I asked the seller on the 6th for the tracking number. I don't think they were insured either :(

edit: The seller was a jerk in the message too, I'm sure eBay will love that.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DJ Commie posted:

I never got the wheels. The seller never added tracking info, and they had been 'delivered' to my house on the 31st. I asked the seller on the 6th for the tracking number. I don't think they were insured either :(

edit: The seller was a jerk in the message too, I'm sure eBay will love that.

I'm not sure why people think they can get away with this horsepoop when Ebay will not hesitate to spew out refunds. Good luck on your claim though I'm guessing you will not need it judging by the asinine behavior of that seller.

e: drat shame as well because those wheels would have looked absolutely fantastic.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 10, 2014

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I believe that they made it into the truck, and all the package weights are fine, but our local FedEx Ground is an independent from a county over and has a lot of driver turnover. I imagine they were just 'delivered.' The wheels also fit mid-late 90s Accords, as well as Preludes and any other 4x114.3 car, so I'm nor surprised they're missing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pretty much all of Fedex ground and home delivery in the US is handled by contractors. Some own one route, some own hundreds. Same for "Custom/Critical" (which is their super high end service).

FWIW, the guy that handles delivery to my home owns one route, and owns the truck - he's the only person I'll see for years for ground delivery. This is in the middle of suburbia.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 11, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That must be why fedex service sucks so hard. I swear my UPS drivers go out of their way to get packages delivered in a timely manner, so I make sure I go out of my way to help them - if I see them roll up, I'll run down and open the apartment building's door, because we don't have a buzzer and if the driver can't get in the package can't be left. Even if I know the package isn't for me. Always a smile on their face, and polite and courteous when you talk to them. They usually toot the horn once too to alert residents to their presence.

Fedex, though? The driver will literally get out of the truck, half of the time without the package, run up to the door, slap the "we missed you" sticker on the glass (usually with only the apt # filled out and the rest left blank) and be gone before you can get down to the door. If you actually get down there in time to interact with them, they scowl, slowly trudge back to the truck, and toss you your package before roaring away. It's like they actively try to make sure you don't get your package.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I've had bad luck with Ground in the past. The driver who had delivered them stopped by at like 8pm last night and told me where and when he had dropped them off. They had been put in front of the storage unit, my brother had moved stuff in/out of the storage unit in the same U-Haul boxes the wheels were shipped in, and were in the storage building! Hilarity ensued, and now I'm getting some tires this weekend.

What are good tires in 195/50/15? High performance all seasons that are cheap is my goal.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Toyo R1Rs are available in 195/50R15, and not too pricey...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Toyo R1Rs are available in 195/50R15, and not too pricey...

A great tire, but a bit too sporty for my fiance to drive the kids to work. What about the Hankook Ventus V2 Concept H437 or Kumho Ecsta AST KU25? They're $60 and $64 at the local place I have a hookup at.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 11, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I would go with the Continental ContiPremiumContact 2 myself, but I seem to be a bit of an oddball for liking Continentals.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you find something good/cheap that's the same size wheel I run on my E30 and I have no idea what cheap/good tires are

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Isn't that a little small for a 15" on an E30? Shouldn't you be on 195/65R14 or 205/55R15?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I think E30s on 15" wheels would be 55 or 60 profile, 50 would be too small.

edit: rscott are you on 14" or 15" wheels?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
15/195 but they might be 65 profile, stock was 14/185/65

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I run 205/50/15 on my E30s. It's the only way to get good tire. It smaller than stock diameter, however. 205/55 has poo poo for tire selection, but is the correct size.

205/50/16 is ideal.

Thanks for the wheels DJ Commie....

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 11, 2014

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

DJ Commie posted:

A great tire, but a bit too sporty for my fiance to drive the kids to work. What about the Hankook Ventus V2 Concept H437 or Kumho Ecsta AST KU25? They're $60 and $64 at the local place I have a hookup at.

I hate Ecsta AST for something performance, but they do last forever. Mine lasted through 4 cars, and 6 years. The girl's Miata has a set now. Crap grip though for a performance application, and they got really hard (might be an AZ problem). I liked the Ventus V2 better but didn't own them over a year (sold the wheels and tires).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I have Ventus HRIIs on my car, they handle pretty good and seem to wear well. They were fairly cheap too.

Looks like they've been replaced by the V2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I got some cheap LandSails, but the tire/wheel combo ended up about 1 pound lighter than the original 13x5 wheel and 12 year old Michelin tire. Handling is a lot better as well. I'll post some pictures later.

• Locked thread