Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SlimGoodbody posted:

I really wish Konami hadn't decided one day it just despised video games and the people who make them. If I hear right, it came around at about the time the President's son took over the business.

Yeah, no one who made any of the games we liked are even left at the company. I suppose they could just mine their old IPs forever but it's a big lift when you consider we got a solid Castlevania successor in Bloodstained and a Suikoden spiritual sequel in the pipe too. I can't imagine they'll ever really recapture the market in that same way again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

Can’t they just use the PS1 and PCECD versions? Is there a dub licensing issue or something

Supposedly (though not confirmed) the issue is that the Konami higher ups saw all the memes and jokes about SotN's dub as a negative and don't want to use it nor pay whatever the licensing it would require for a digital distribution.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ImpAtom posted:

Supposedly (though not confirmed) the issue is that the Konami higher ups saw all the memes and jokes about SotN's dub as a negative and don't want to use it nor pay whatever the licensing it would require for a digital distribution.
I remain convinced that someone higher up at Konami hates Blaustein even though he gave us the most iconic translations of the PS1 era

https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/18/20696081/metal-gear-solid-translation-japanese-english-jeremy-blaustein

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I could see it. Their response to that one legendary E3 conference was to only do the most boring, milquetoast, prerecorded conferences ever.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
So nothing came up related to Castlevania at the Xbox show. Not surprising the douche back pedaled, saying everyone got hyped up on the wrong thing.

Meanwhile Konami has a Castlevania sale on Steam.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Diabetic posted:

So nothing came up related to Castlevania at the Xbox show. Not surprising the douche back pedaled, saying everyone got hyped up on the wrong thing.

Meanwhile Konami has a Castlevania sale on Steam.

I followed the twitter rumors for Silent Hill for years just for fun, cause I know the series pretty much died after SH4. Maybe it's Castlevania's time to shine, a couple years of rumors "it's happening this time for sure!" and then Konami will announce something new, with development outsourced to a developer we've never heard of

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
castlevania is also one of those rare games where the IP is only strong because of how good the games were and only weirdo obsessives care about the story. so there isnt really a good reason to want more castlevania games when we have stuff like bloodstained, dark souls, hollow knight, the list goes on. the list of big weirdos who want to play those games as a dracula hunter named Belmont that wields a magic whip isnt that large, even if it includes myself

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

castlevania is also one of those rare games where the IP is only strong because of how good the games were and only weirdo obsessives care about the story. so there isnt really a good reason to want more castlevania games when we have stuff like bloodstained, dark souls, hollow knight, the list goes on. the list of big weirdos who want to play those games as a dracula hunter named Belmont that wields a magic whip isnt that large, even if it includes myself

Yeah I also have this disease

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think there's a pretty good call for it. The whole "Vampire Hunter with a whip" thing has held a lot of sway over the years and you've got stuff like the Castlevania show which make it clear people are down for Belmonts vs Draculas.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Tangentially, I am currently falling face first into Vampire Survivors, which is very silly and plays very differently from Castlevania, but which is a huge love letter to the whole franchise and is filled to bursting with fun Easter eggs, references, gags, and homages.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I think there's a pretty good call for it. The whole "Vampire Hunter with a whip" thing has held a lot of sway over the years and you've got stuff like the Castlevania show which make it clear people are down for Belmonts vs Draculas.

It's a real sell but being honest, the market just loves Japanese artists doing Germanic Mall Goth.... but not enough for it to be a real hard money-maker. A reliable second-string is about the peak for the franchise and it's a pity the business models don't see that as viable anymore.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Tangentially, I am currently falling face first into Vampire Survivors, which is very silly and plays very differently from Castlevania, but which is a huge love letter to the whole franchise and is filled to bursting with fun Easter eggs, references, gags, and homages.

As someone with ADHD this game was loving dangerous at how much dopamine it gave me and how much time it could suck out of me. I love it dearly and will never touch it or anything like it again.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

As someone with ADHD this game was loving dangerous at how much dopamine it gave me and how much time it could suck out of me. I love it dearly and will never touch it or anything like it again.

This game is like simultaneously popping fistfuls of bubble wrap, winning at a slot machine, and watching a power washing video. The designer should be studied in a lab.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

This game is like simultaneously popping fistfuls of bubble wrap, winning at a slot machine, and watching a power washing video. The designer should be studied in a lab.

The designer worked on gambling and is open about it. VS just is unique because it was designed around the idea of giving the happy chemicals rush always instead of making it something you have to chase while shoving money in.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Oh wow, yeah, that explains a lot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

Oh wow, yeah, that explains a lot

Yeah, it's genuinely pretty interesting to see gambling addiction/reward mechanics applied to something that isn't something designed to profit nonstop off you. It makes it pretty easy to understand how easy it can be to get into that zone when you're able to turn off your filters that make you cautious and just Absorb The Gem.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
If silent hill is being handed to bloober team, who is castlevania being handed to?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Castlevania But Italian and Cheese Puns is a fun vibe for Vampire Survivors

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Discendo Vox posted:

If silent hill is being handed to bloober team, who is castlevania being handed to?

Give it to MercurySteam permanently.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Takoluka posted:

Mercury Steam is so hit or miss and most everyone universally hates Lords of Shadow now that I don't think that's possible.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Takoluka posted:

That'd be funny.

They're better developers now than they used to be but as good as Metroid Dread is, I'd still be wary.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Yeah if anything Nintendo's relationships with the smaller studios they had develop Metroid games tell me less that "These studios can be handed an IP and left to their own devices and turn out quality" and more that "Nintendo knows which way to crack the whip to keep talented studios with otherwise bad management in line and making good stuff with their IPs."

Truxton fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 21, 2023

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

so they should be good with making the whip crack, got it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Diabetic posted:

Mercury Steam is so hit or miss and most everyone universally hates Lords of Shadow now that I don't think that's possible.

Idk I've been seeing dickriders trying to prop it back up as a "thing" now that 10 years is out and Konami pissed all that money on it. Eventually you'll see people being as sincere as possible that it was "misunderstood" or "slept on" or that it was a staple of their sad childhood or whatever deeply unimpressive dickrider poo poo they say now. It's not taking but they're gonna keep trying.

I didn't hate Lords of Shadow but it's not where I cared to see Castlevania go and seemed to be chasing trends at a bad time. Trite as it is to say, just give me more Igavania-style poo poo like Blasphemous 2. Oh you won't? Guess I better go play Blasphemous 2 then.

Truxton posted:

Yeah if anything Nintendo's relationships with the smaller studios they had develop Metroid games tell me less that "These studios can be handed an IP and left to their own devices and turn out quality" and more that "Nintendo knows which way to crack the whip to keep talented studios with otherwise bad management in line and making good stuff with their IPs."
I have to imagine being known as the people who hosed up a Nintendo contract is a powerful loving motivator.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Takoluka posted:

They can't just take the Dracula narrative and make their lovely games rise again every hundred years whenever they feel like it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

Castlevania DOES have, if not a monopoly, then certainly a large market share of the aesthetic of "Universal Horror Monster Halloween spooky, while not actually being especially scary or a horror game in itself." Bloodstained certainly has some of that, but it's hard to find another mainstream game franchise that hits that exact spot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Soulslikes have also been filling the niche of "Japanese artists doing Teutonic Dork Aesthetics" but yeah we need a Mall Goth niche filled bad

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Yes 100%

Stuff like Ori, Hollow Knight, and Blasphemous just don't do it for me. Castlevania aesthetic is just more fun. It's spooky without being horrific or depressingly bleak.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

There's something uniquely power metal about the iconic weapon being a whip that makes the Castlevania aesthetic unique to me. Like, yeah, any fantasy protagonist can vanquish evil with a sword or whatever, but a whip? That's so needlessly barbaric and silly, I love it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What studio should get Castlevania? And don't say ZA/UM, they're out of business.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

WayForward

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

IntiCreates

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
DoinkSoft

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
SquareEnix

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Sakurazuka posted:

IntiCreates

I loved the Curse of the Moon games, a classic Castlevania would be great from them.

Anything igavania I just can't enjoy without the usual talent behind it. Michiru Yamane & friends doing the music, with Igarashi leading. Plus all the very talented 2d artists. MercurySteam and Nintendo made a great Metroid game, but none of the music was memorable.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Diabetic posted:

If Metroid Dread is any indication, people just like forced stealth sections with one-hit deaths in their action games now. Maybe Lords of Shadow 2 was just ahead of its time.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

What studio should get Castlevania? And don't say ZA/UM, they're out of business.

i already said it but vanillaware should hire iga

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yacht club games.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Levantine posted:

If Metroid Dread is any indication, people just like forced stealth sections with one-hit deaths in their action games now. Maybe Lords of Shadow 2 was just ahead of its time.

One hit deaths? Sounds like someone has a skill issue with hitting randomized Just Frames every single time :smuggo: (8 frames, but whatever)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

If the LoS games played as good as Dread that might change the opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

you also get a chance to utterly destroy every emmi, and can actually escape them when being chased.