Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

scary ghost dog posted:

i already said it but vanillaware should hire iga

I'll allow it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

ImpAtom posted:

The cool looking lady with the knives is actually Annette, Richter's girlfriend in the game. In the game she is just kidnap fodder while they appear to be giving her an active role here.
Same for the other mage lady who is supposed to be Tera, one of the other kidnap victims.

Oh, neat! Thanks for the info, I'm even more interested now!

scary ghost dog posted:

castlevania is also one of those rare games where the IP is only strong because of how good the games were and only weirdo obsessives care about the story. so there isnt really a good reason to want more castlevania games when we have stuff like bloodstained, dark souls, hollow knight, the list goes on. the list of big weirdos who want to play those games as a dracula hunter named Belmont that wields a magic whip isnt that large, even if it includes myself

As much as I'd love to see what the hell happened with Julius in 1999, I've made my peace with Castlevania as a game series being relegated to fond memories and replays over the years...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
FromSoftware Castlevania.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

FromSoftware Castlevania.

It's called Bloodborne.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It's called Bloodborne.

Yes, but what about a second Bloodborne.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Contra’s getting a new classic game from Wayforward, give them Castlevania too and let them go hog wild, it’s not that loving hard.

https://youtu.be/1T8U1EUVqJI?si=PiWWYqPN1FC_75Kz

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wayforward is already involved in Bloodstained.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Cartoon Man posted:

Contra’s getting a new classic game from Wayforward, give them Castlevania too and let them go hog wild, it’s not that loving hard.

https://youtu.be/1T8U1EUVqJI?si=PiWWYqPN1FC_75Kz

This looks promising! I just want to take a moment to shout out how extremely good Wayforward’s Contra 4 was.

Edit: on the other hand, their closest attempt at an IGAvania (not counting bloodstained,) the Mummy Demastered, sucked dog rear end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes, but what about a second Bloodborne.

It's called Lies of P.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Gonna plug this here because the sotn randomizer is very fun and more people should try it.

Dr4gonblitz (as seen on gdq) has been running a fall randomizer tournament over the past few weeks. Is starting if anyone is interested in checking it out.

https://www.twitch.tv/dr4gonblitz

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

This looks promising! I just want to take a moment to shout out how extremely good Wayforward’s Contra 4 was.

Edit: on the other hand, their closest attempt at an IGAvania (not counting bloodstained,) the Mummy Demastered, sucked dog rear end.

I would play a Classicvania made by them that looks exactly like that Contra trailer, but with Castlevania enemies, levels, and gameplay.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Most of the lead devs on Contra 4 quit WF forever ago to form Yacht Club Games, aka the Shovel Knight studio.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

As long as it's not apes with that name I guess.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oh poo poo, Timespinner 2, let's go

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2525210/Timespinner_2_Unwoven_Dream/

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

My only requests are that the game be larger/have more room for exploration, as the first ultimately ended up feeling surprisingly claustrophobic, and that the reward for doing everything in the game is something other than being ambushed into a loving polycule

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

and that the reward for doing everything in the game is something other than being ambushed into a loving polycule

Lol I have to see this

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

not a fan of chibi aesthetic but drat does that look nice overall

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Oh hey Nocturne is up on Netflix

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The redhead definately betrayed the other two out of envy for his father's medallion.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Medullah posted:

Oh hey Nocturne is up on Netflix
I’m half way through. I like it a lot so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoyed Nocturne quite a bit, though Richter is easily the least interesting person in his own series.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My biggest annoyance is that Nocturne isn't a standalone mini series like I was expecting, so the end is pretty much just setup for season two.

Also...Isn't Maria considered to be Alucard's love interest at the end of SOTN? If so....wonder how that will translate to the show since he showed up early when she's still a teenager.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Medullah posted:

My biggest annoyance is that Nocturne isn't a standalone mini series like I was expecting, so the end is pretty much just setup for season two.

Also...Isn't Maria considered to be Alucard's love interest at the end of SOTN? If so....wonder how that will translate to the show since he showed up early when she's still a teenager.

So there's no real good way to put this but: In SotN she's 17 years old. In fact Nocturne aged her up so she's 16 instead of 12. So, uh, unfortunately the answer is either 'they're not going to do that' or 'the age gap is pretty much the exact same.' At absolute best they'll do the full SotN age jump and she'll be in her mid 20s. Still not particularly great. I honestly don't know how they intend to handle it aside from the usual vampire media thing of 'don't think about the age gap'

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 2, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

So there's no real good way to put this but: In SotN she's 17 years old. In fact Nocturne aged her up so she's 16 instead of 12. So, uh, unfortunately the answer is either 'they're not going to do that' or 'the age gap is pretty much the exact same.' At absolute best they'll do the full SotN age jump and she'll be in her mid 20s. Still not particularly great. I honestly don't know how they intend to handle it aside from the usual vampire media thing of 'don't think about the age gap'

Yeah I guess I didn't think too much bout it. Ugh.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I have a Bloodstained question if anyone knows: can you get the bad endings on New Game +? I bee-lined to Gebel but killing him outright doesn't trigger the Just a Flicker trophy. I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if it needs to be a clean game save file to trigger it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Levantine posted:

I have a Bloodstained question if anyone knows: can you get the bad endings on New Game +? I bee-lined to Gebel but killing him outright doesn't trigger the Just a Flicker trophy. I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if it needs to be a clean game save file to trigger it.

I can't answer that as I got it playing the first time because I didn't know what I was supposed to do to not get the bad ending.

However, if no one can help you here there is a dedicated Bloodstained thread that might be able to help

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Medullah posted:

I can't answer that as I got it playing the first time because I didn't know what I was supposed to do to not get the bad ending.

However, if no one can help you here there is a dedicated Bloodstained thread that might be able to help

Oh cool, thank you! It's not a huge deal but I'm close to Platinum and it would be nice not to have to start over!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Levantine posted:

Oh cool, thank you! It's not a huge deal but I'm close to Platinum and it would be nice not to have to start over!

Heh that's why I perpetually use all save slots for games in case I miss something. Games with only one save slot infuriate me, I'm looking at you Control

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The new castlevania show was alright, but I'd be lying if it wasn't cool when Richter went super saiyan and they did his rearranged theme.

I'm also seeing the outlines of the grand spectacle finale Grand Cross being a tag team move with him and Anette using her metalbending to make a bunch of crosses like she did against her former slavemaster, somehow doing power of love and friendship magic with him to make a big cool boom, and I'm gonna tune in for that no matter how up or down the episodes are leading up to it.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Finished episode 6 and I have a huge issue! Juste would never live in a tiny cabin like that. He would have an amazing room with elegant furniture.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fritzler posted:

Finished episode 6 and I have a huge issue! Juste would never live in a tiny cabin like that. He would have an amazing room with elegant furniture.

This is Bad End Juste so presumably his love of decorating died with his magic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

He went cold turkey.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

This is Bad End Juste so presumably his love of decorating died with his magic.
it is a different vampire who killed maxim/lydie right? So presumably good ending of harmony of dissonance and then something bad? Also because Lydie is explicitly grandma she lives past that game. But it is sad he wasn’t able to retire and become an interior decorator

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 2, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fritzler posted:

it is a different vampire who killed maxim/lydie right? So presumably good ending of harmony of dissonance and then something bad? Also because Lydie is explicitly grandma she lives past that game. But it is sad he wasn’t able to retire and become an interior decorator

It was The Vampyre's Lord Ruthven, who was kind of proto-Dracula. Within the terms of the Castlevania animated universe Dracula is off the table for the moment. The last we saw him he'd come back to life with his wife and decided to gently caress off from all that. So they're using other famous vampires to fill the same basic role. So Ruthven was presumably the replacement Dracula for Juste like how Bathory is for Richter. (Which is actually something Castlevania Bloodlines did first.) Unless they state otherwise there's no real reason to assume that any Belmont since Trevor has actually fought Dracula in the animated canon. This is kind of emphasized by Annette going "who's Dracula?" at the end.

What this means for a potential SotN is a big question since the first series kind of touched on a lot of SotN's stuff with Alucard anyway.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 2, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Season 2 on the way.

https://kotaku.com/castlevania-nocturne-second-season-richter-alucard-1850907256

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Looks like Bloodstained Curse of the Moon-alike is now an official part of the Classicvania genre with Darkest Abyss. It even has a free demo right now during the Steam Next Fest. Love that gigantic zombie horse head.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1888880/Darkest_Abyss/

Meanwhile another one of those Tohou Castlevania-style fangames is releasing soon and yep, it has a free demo right now during the Steam Next Fest. Despite looking like it's ripping off all of its art from SotN (even all the portrait artwork is drawn in a very Ayami Kojima style), this is actually closer to a Classicvania, much like its predecessor.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1229890/Koumajou_Remilia__Strangers_Requiem/

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 11, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I've never seen a ghost horse that looks that nervous in my entire life

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Definitely does not need the sad human eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Medullah posted:

I've never seen a ghost horse that looks that nervous in my entire life

Poor Freckles, died and still thought of ants