Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Had mine done on New Year's Eve.

Here it is, six days later, and I'm still sore. A giant bruise appeared this morning along with a lump the size of a third testicle.

Doc says it may be a scrotal hematoma (for god's sake don't google image search for that) and to alternate ice and heat today and tonight. If it's worse tomorrow, I get to go back in for further examination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ConfusedUs posted:

Had mine done on New Year's Eve.

Here it is, six days later, and I'm still sore. A giant bruise appeared this morning along with a lump the size of a third testicle.

Doc says it may be a scrotal hematoma (for god's sake don't google image search for that) and to alternate ice and heat today and tonight. If it's worse tomorrow, I get to go back in for further examination.

Yikes. Bad luck, keep rested.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

And it has vanished. The lump is gone this morning although the bruise remains.

This is good news because it means the bleeding was between skin layers. If it was in the sac itself, the whole thing could have filled up. Gross.

Anyway crisis averted.

This ends this update about my balls.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It seems like some of you had procedures where you were put completely under. How common is that? How easy was it to get the knocked out surgery? I really don't want to be awake when they pull tubes out of my scrote.

I don't think it's common at all. It's too simple, non-invasive, and minimally uncomfortable. It's like getting a small laceration stitched up, it's just too routine to put you under, since local anesthetic keeps you more than comfortable enough. I know this sounds crazy, and I know everyone's pain tolerance is different, but worrying about going into the exam room was worse for me than the procedure itself. My doctor was experienced, and once the anesthetic injections set in, you don't feel pain from the procedure. You might feel what people describe as tugging, or pressure, but it doesn't hurt.

As to the injections themselves (that was the part I was most worried about, besides possibly having incomplete numbing), they don't hurt too badly. Everyone describes it as that sickly feeling you get when you get tapped in the balls, but that only explains the type of sensation. The severity of that sensation, to me, was far less than a friend nut-checking me, or getting hit down there with any force by something else. It bordered on a dull version of that pain, instead of that sharp awful jolt you'd get from the other above actions. It does have that kind of feeling, but for me it was not so intense. And it just lasts a few seconds. After that it's smooth sailing. You don't need to see ANY of the procedure if you don't want to. Indeed, having a look would require moving from a comfortable lying position. I just chatted with the doc and counted ceiling tiles.

To summarize, it's not how I would want to spend every week off, but it was much less painful and much easier than I was worried it would be. Knowing what I was accomplishing, and having a doctor with a good personality, I'd actually say I enjoyed the procedure. I felt so at-ease once that anesthetic set in, and my doc was amazing. I guess you tend to develop a sense of humor when you work with scrotums all day.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm 18 and heavily considering this. Is it going to be completely impossible for me to get a doctor to actually do this for me? (I'm in the northeast U.S. if that makes any difference.)

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Kanine posted:

I'm 18 and heavily considering this. Is it going to be completely impossible for me to get a doctor to actually do this for me? (I'm in the northeast U.S. if that makes any difference.)

Yes. And that's a good thing.

At 18 your brain isn't really finished growing. People tend to become the people they will be by their mid 20s.

Will 25 year old you still not want kids ever? Maybe. Maybe not. But it's not really fair for 18 year old you to be able to make that decision.

While I disagree with doctors who insist on people with kids already or in their 30s-40s I can understand the HUGE reluctance to do a non reversible procedure on an 18 year old.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also at that age, you run a risk of the procedure undoing itself. I think past 25 it's vanishingly unlikely but at 18 a dr will probably be concerned about that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Travis343 posted:

Also at that age, you run a risk of the procedure undoing itself. I think past 25 it's vanishingly unlikely but at 18 a dr will probably be concerned about that.

Having gotten it just after turning 29 and passed both post-snip tests later that year, I'm still deathly afraid of this happening and I'm turning 31 next month. My SO has been off the pill for about a year now.

Being on the pill apparently hosed with her blood pressure so she can't be going back on it.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

FAUXTON posted:

Having gotten it just after turning 29 and passed both post-snip tests later that year, I'm still deathly afraid of this happening and I'm turning 31 next month. My SO has been off the pill for about a year now.

Being on the pill apparently hosed with her blood pressure so she can't be going back on it.

I have to admit, every now and then I think about paying for a test to see that it hasn't happened to me.

On one hand it's very unlikely, and I only had to kiss my wife without a condom, even when she was on the pill, to get her pregnant before I had the snip. On the other, the mind isn't always a rational thing and I really want to be 100% sure I'm shooting blanks.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Just had my consultation at the urologist, and I ll schedule my operation in a few days. Said to be 1-3 months out. :(

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Roundboy posted:

Just had my consultation at the urologist, and I ll schedule my operation in a few days. Said to be 1-3 months out. :(

Notice is a good thing. Let's you book a week or two off work and stuff. Gives you a chance to fall behind on TV shows to catch up on during recovery.

Good luck.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

FAUXTON posted:

I was about 27 when I got mine done in a very similar situation (girlfriend needed to get off hormonal bc immediately). I wouldn't worry too much especially if you've gone a few Years without impregnating anything. I doubt a dr could reverse it at that point so it's a really unlikely event that it reverses on its own.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Travis343 posted:

I was about 27 when I got mine done in a very similar situation (girlfriend needed to get off hormonal bc immediately). I wouldn't worry too much especially if you've gone a few Years without impregnating anything. I doubt a dr could reverse it at that point so it's a really unlikely event that it reverses on its own.

It's only been like 2 years, but the body starts rejecting the swimmers after a while and basically sterilizes itself anyway. Not sure how long that takes though.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
docs scheduler told me next friday opening was april, so gently caress that. I am a Tuesday warrior. So now its march 3rd, 7 am. Getting my briefs and frozen veggies ready, taking that day off and i'll play the rest by my balls.

A weekend is nice, but I have 4 kids already, the weekend will not be a day of rest. At least most of the kids will be at school . Now i need to convince my wife of how much sex is needed to clean the pipes pre and post op for... science i guess.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Roundboy posted:

docs scheduler told me next friday opening was april, so gently caress that. I am a Tuesday warrior. So now its march 3rd, 7 am. Getting my briefs and frozen veggies ready, taking that day off and i'll play the rest by my balls.

A weekend is nice, but I have 4 kids already, the weekend will not be a day of rest. At least most of the kids will be at school . Now i need to convince my wife of how much sex is needed to clean the pipes pre and post op for... science i guess.

Masturbation and blowjobs would be better suited for releasing possible sperm until you get your sperm count test.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

SlayVus posted:

Masturbation and blowjobs would be better suited for releasing possible sperm until you get your sperm count test.

Once out of the doctor mandated no sex time (and trust me you won't want any sexual contact for a few days until the swelling goes away and stuff starts healing) there's nothing wrong with condom sex or female led birth control. Just don't raw dog unprotected until you have a clean count.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
'Sup snipped goons.

My long-term GF and I have talked things over, and we /I are seriously considering a vasectomy.

She's had multiple problems with various hormonal birth control. The most recent being extremely unpredictable and long-lasting periods while on The Rod (currently she's on day 13 of one...this is the worst one yet, and what prompted the discussion, but even other times it's been upwards of ten days, sometimes with only a couple weeks before then ext one...I guess technically they're not always her period but just "spotting" but it's basically no difference to her.

I'm concerned a urologist might say no. I have no kids, and am not married (though I feel it's very likely with the current GF,) but I am 32. I've known I didn't want kids since I was a teenager, and age has only confirmed this. On the off chance I have a stroke, or a brain tumor, or something, and I suddenly get the paternal instinct, I am in no way opposed to a sperm bank or adoption. My genes aren't that great anyway, what kids would want them?

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that I'll be able to find a doctor willing to do the procedure, and any stories people might want to share (I've read through several pages of the thread and plan to read most/all of it within the next few days.)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DrBouvenstein posted:

'Sup snipped goons.

My long-term GF and I have talked things over, and we /I are seriously considering a vasectomy.

She's had multiple problems with various hormonal birth control. The most recent being extremely unpredictable and long-lasting periods while on The Rod (currently she's on day 13 of one...this is the worst one yet, and what prompted the discussion, but even other times it's been upwards of ten days, sometimes with only a couple weeks before then ext one...I guess technically they're not always her period but just "spotting" but it's basically no difference to her.

I'm concerned a urologist might say no. I have no kids, and am not married (though I feel it's very likely with the current GF,) but I am 32. I've known I didn't want kids since I was a teenager, and age has only confirmed this. On the off chance I have a stroke, or a brain tumor, or something, and I suddenly get the paternal instinct, I am in no way opposed to a sperm bank or adoption. My genes aren't that great anyway, what kids would want them?

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that I'll be able to find a doctor willing to do the procedure, and any stories people might want to share (I've read through several pages of the thread and plan to read most/all of it within the next few days.)

I got mine at 29 and childless, from a urologist whose offices were at a super catholic hospital. Most urologists will just ask if you're sure because it should be considered permanent despite the existence of a reversal procedure (since reversal isn't successful very often) and go on with the snip. Ligations for women are a little more stringent I've heard but they're also way more invasive so it may be that.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I haven't had my surgery yet, but it's scheduled. I'm in a similar situation where the girlfriend can't take hormonal birth control, and I'm 32, neither of us have any children, nor do we want any, and we've been in our relationship for a long time. My urologist didn't see any problems with performing a vasectomy in that situation.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I was 26 and really didn't have any problems getting a urologist to agree to it. I had heard the stories but maybe that's a thing of the past. I'd say if someone is giving you guff at 32 just find another urologist.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Travis343 posted:

I was 26 and really didn't have any problems getting a urologist to agree to it. I had heard the stories but maybe that's a thing of the past. I'd say if someone is giving you guff at 32 just find another urologist.

This kind of thing should go in the OP. If a urologist has problems with people in their mid/late 20s with no kids getting the snip they probably aren't going to be in the business of doing them, even if they are relatively good pay for the time commitment. Being a urologist means you're already at peace with handling men's junk with all manner of :gonk:-inducing conditions.

Just an advisory that your urologist probably won't say no, and even if they do you can find another. It isn't like someone gets to having done thousands of snips without setting aside their prudish social issues.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I'm 38, have 2 kids with my wife, and got a vasectomy a week ago. The surgery was by no means comfortable, and I could barely walk 4/5 days after the vasectomy, everything was swollen and tender as hell. I was expecting it to be a little less painful....

I'm finally starting to feel better though, but the stitches on my left side are a bit puckered inwards and seem to be attached to my Vas Deferens, anyone else experience this? They're dissolving stitches, hopefully it'll detach soon enough.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

That sounds about how my stitches were.

That amount of pain is unfortunate. I didn't have a problem moving slowly the day of the procedure and I was generally fine the couple days afterwards (though I did restrict my movement for 2 days). My balls were a bit swollen and pretty tender for 3 weeks or so though. Anything more than just walking was rather more painful than normal. It's been about two months now and everything has been back to normal for a while.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What a bummer. I got mine on Friday afternoon and probably could have gone back to work on Monday (but I took it off because I could and oh my god my vyvanse prescription had amazing synergy with the oxycodone) but I had an exceedingly good doctor and a no-needle/no-scalpel op (aka pneumatic hypospray followed by plenty of needle and scalpel) and the maximum discomfort I had was no worse than a poorly-worn pair of briefs, just a minor squeezing sensation. No stitches because it was done through a hole, he popped a hole in the scrotum, pulled the vas out, snipped/clipped/cauterized it, and did the same on the other side.

I also didn't pay for it, only like $4 for the antibiotics and painkillers afterwards. They gave me a bag of peas to take home.

Dude was cracking jokes the whole time, said it was his favorite kind of bondage when his assistant taped my dong up against my navel.

Apoloc
Mar 25, 2014
I did mine 2 weeks ago. Went with the incision less method. Op was quick. Did it on a Friday, took off Monday and Tuesday from work (I do construction). Wednesday felt odd, Thursday still but a little less. It's been 10 days but they still feel a little tender, only to a firm touch though. All in all, uncomfortable at first, but manageable. My wife actually went to Vegas the weekend of it and I watched our two kids. So I was still functional to a degree.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Apoloc posted:

I did mine 2 weeks ago. Went with the incision less method. Op was quick. Did it on a Friday, took off Monday and Tuesday from work (I do construction). Wednesday felt odd, Thursday still but a little less. It's been 10 days but they still feel a little tender, only to a firm touch though. All in all, uncomfortable at first, but manageable. My wife actually went to Vegas the weekend of it and I watched our two kids. So I was still functional to a degree.

Sounds about right, though I had a desk job and still took the elevator for a couple weeks (I worked in a 2-story building so the stairs were always faster) to be absolutely sure. If you're on the cinderblocks and cement bags end of construction you may want to keep an eye out for firmness and discoloration, though you're probably out of the woods by now with 2 weeks gone by.

Apoloc
Mar 25, 2014
I do have some fairly firm areas near the base of the sack. I guess that is what you would call it. No discoloration, testicles feel fine. No pain when I lift or anything. Just hard where the sack tired into my inner thighs. Odd to say, feels like a stem on each side. I just assume it was still tender or swole from the procedure. This thread had been great for comparing my experience with others. Glad I found it.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I'm feeling much better, I went for my first run on Sunday. My balls are still very tender, so of they get knocked around a bit, it's sore. Ejaculation works fine though, no blood or smoke or whatever I was worried about. I can't believe people care about volume or distance or whatever, but that all seems the same. Orgasms actually seem stronger, which I certainly didn't expect...

Now I just wait a few more weeks for the sperm checks and then I can ejaculate wherever I want with abandon.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Armed Neutrality posted:

I'm feeling much better, I went for my first run on Sunday. My balls are still very tender, so of they get knocked around a bit, it's sore. Ejaculation works fine though, no blood or smoke or whatever I was worried about. I can't believe people care about volume or distance or whatever, but that all seems the same. Orgasms actually seem stronger, which I certainly didn't expect...

Now I just wait a few more weeks for the sperm checks and then I can ejaculate wherever I want with abandon.

Stronger is probably more because it's been a while. Take a week or two off and it will be.

And for the record, it's still not wherever you want. I get a stern talking to any time I wipe it off on the curtains...

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Masonity posted:

Stronger is probably more because it's been a while. Take a week or two off and it will be.

And for the record, it's still not wherever you want. I get a stern talking to any time I wipe it off on the curtains...

Yeah but it wasn't just the first one, it was all the subsequent ones too. And there have been plenty of subsequent ones, I've been making up for lost time. :pervert:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's always better when you know you're shooting blanks, assuming you don't change your mind later. Even in marriage or with a long-term committed partner or fiancee or whatever. I mean I guess you can look at it like "all the hookups and no knockups" but honestly just being able to know for sure no babies are resulting from what your dick is blasting is great no matter what and it makes everything feel better, probably because that's not a concern anymore. It wasn't a big concern before but now even the minuscule nagging "what if" back there is silent and it allows me and my lady to be way more present in the moment with each other.

Then again, both of us were always petrified of having children so the "what if" may have been out of proportion for us.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

It's always better when you know you're shooting blanks, assuming you don't change your mind later. Even in marriage or with a long-term committed partner or fiancee or whatever. I mean I guess you can look at it like "all the hookups and no knockups" but honestly just being able to know for sure no babies are resulting from what your dick is blasting is great no matter what and it makes everything feel better, probably because that's not a concern anymore. It wasn't a big concern before but now even the minuscule nagging "what if" back there is silent and it allows me and my lady to be way more present in the moment with each other.

Then again, both of us were always petrified of having children so the "what if" may have been out of proportion for us.

Yeah there's this as well. Although I didn't get the "stress free" bonus until I had a no-swimmer sample.

I still feel a bit dumb about not getting my second test done. It was free, and would have made me officially, legally sterile. I just didn't bother though. Ended up missing the date, forgetting all about it. The first test's count was absolutely 0, and that was after a couple of days of holding off to maximise swimmers just in case.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Copy-pasting this post here from Goon Doctor. I haven't full read the OP because I wanted to collect my thoughts unbiasedly.

Is there actually something I haven't considered about vasectomies?
I'm 27 years old; no children; not dating anyone. I can get a no-scalpel vasectomy fully financially covered by the government, without so much as an office visit co-payment, according to what I was told over the phone. I have an appointment for the financial evaluation next week to confirm, then they'll make me (and all others in my situation) wait a full month before the snip.

My motivations for doing this are because 1) I have never wanted my own biological children
2) I struggled with problematic drinking (and later alcohol dependence) for around 5 years (although I'm completely off booze now) as well as anxiety all my life - both of these conditions are highly heritable, and came down to me from multiple grandparents. I would feel real guilty about passing either along to my children
3) Accidentally impregnating a woman is one of the only worries in my life that I can eliminate permanently
4) I understand that vasectomies are by-and-large irreversible, despite the billboards
5) I don't see myself changing more-or-less anti-natalist stance any time soon - I'd rather adopt if I'm ever in a relationship where raising children seems like the thing to do
6) I'm comfortable using condoms indefinitely post-procedure to protect myself and others from STIs
7) I am not someone who "gets off" on the idea of being able to impregnate someone; or at least, I don't like that idea more than the idea of really doing it scares the poo poo out of me

Is there something I'm missing? I've gotten the "you know you might change your mind, right?" and "your balls will hurt real bad for a little while!!", and dude's expressions of vicarious pain at my "emasculation". Nothing has dissuaded me thus far, other than the reality that it is possible for me to change my mind about biological children. I doubt it, though, and I feel as confident in that doubt as I do about my other big life decisions.

edit: vv Awesome food for thought, thanks OP

Mortley fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 17, 2015

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Mortley posted:

Copy-pasting this post here from Goon Doctor. I haven't full read the OP because I wanted to collect my thoughts unbiasedly.

Is there actually something I haven't considered about vasectomies?
I'm 27 years old; no children; not dating anyone. I can get a no-scalpel vasectomy fully financially covered by the government, without so much as an office visit co-payment, according to what I was told over the phone. I have an appointment for the financial evaluation next week to confirm, then they'll make me (and all others in my situation) wait a full month before the snip.

My motivations for doing this are because 1) I have never wanted my own biological children
2) I struggled with problematic drinking (and later alcohol dependence) for around 5 years (although I'm completely off booze now) as well as anxiety all my life - both of these conditions are highly heritable, and came down to me from multiple grandparents. I would feel real guilty about passing either along to my children
3) Accidentally impregnating a woman is one of the only worries in my life that I can eliminate permanently
4) I understand that vasectomies are by-and-large irreversible, despite the billboards
5) I don't see myself changing more-or-less anti-natalist stance any time soon - I'd rather adopt if I'm ever in a relationship where raising children seems like the thing to do
6) I'm comfortable using condoms indefinitely post-procedure to protect myself and others from STIs
7) I am not someone who "gets off" on the idea of being able to impregnate someone; or at least, I don't like that idea more than the idea of really doing it scares the poo poo out of me

Is there something I'm missing? I've gotten the "you know you might change your mind, right?" and "your balls will hurt real bad for a little while!!", and dude's expressions of vicarious pain at my "emasculation". Nothing has dissuaded me thus far, other than the reality that it is possible for me to change my mind about biological children. I doubt it, though, and I feel as confident in that doubt as I do about my other big life decisions.

Two things. One that you will be asked:

What if you meet a lovely lady in the near future, and she wants kids badly? - Yes you'll be asked this. But a question to ask yourself, when will you tell a lady friend? How far into a relationship is it fair to go without dropping the bombshell?

And one you probably wont:

Practicalities. Are you able to take a couple of weeks off work? Will you be able to recover properly on your own? Usually it's men with a partner who do this, so you have no-one around to wait on you hand and foot, treat you like a king for doing it and supply fresh frozen peas.

And, I guess, is it worth doing if you aren't in a committed relationship where condom use isn't necessary anyway?

For me it was well worth it. But only as part of a couple. The pain and discomfort without the payoff of worry free condom free sex without seeing my partner fight with birth control just doesn't seem a fair trade.

If you are still sure, go for it.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm scheduled to get a vasectomy on Friday September 18th and I feel super scared about it. I'm scared about the pain that I will be enduring and how this will interfere with my studies and whether or not I'll be able to make it to class in the morning on Monday September 21st.

I've bought some "Papi" jock straps and some briefs and I have lots of loose fitting clothing available for me to wear. I also have bought lots of acetaminophen and ibuprofen and I will also have my prescribed klonopin pills and some sleeping pills available for me to take. I also have bought two "Cryo-Max Reusable 8 hour Cold Packs" and four "Nexcare Reusable Coldhot packs". And I've bought some scrotal shaving equipment too. So I've already bought lots of stuff in preparation for the vasectomy so I want to go through with it but I'm super scared!

These recommendations to buy a cooler are also making me feel very anxious and uncertain. Would it seriously be risky/dangerous for me to walk the 10-20 feet from the living room couch to the freezer/refrigerator after getting the vasectomy? What about walking ~20ish feet to the bathroom?

I'm so scared! And will the jockstraps I've bought provide me with sufficient support? I've attached a selfie I took while wearing one of the new jockstraps I bought in preparation for the vasectomy. Have I bought the right kinda stuff and should I buy additional stuff, like a cooler?

I suppose I'll tell my professors I'm getting a vasectomy and that it might be interfering with my studies. And hopefully the other student in my program will follow through after having said yes to driving me to the hospital and then driving me back home after I get the surgery. I just told her I'm getting "surgery," I have yet to tell her that I'm getting a vasectomy.

Welp, thanks for your consideration! Any and all advice will be appreciated!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
You need to worry about eating more sandwiches then the surgery.

So long as you are not getting it done in a back alleyway, and refrain from powerlifting/deep lunges the day or two after, your boys will be just fine.

Ice plus comfy pants is the best

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Not to scare anybody but I'm a week out from my vasectomy and apparently I'm one of the lucky 5% that get a scrotal hematoma. Looking forward to three more weeks of feeling like I've been kicked in the balls.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Iucounu posted:

Not to scare anybody but I'm a week out from my vasectomy and apparently I'm one of the lucky 5% that get a scrotal hematoma. Looking forward to three more weeks of feeling like I've been kicked in the balls.

I was carting around a raquetball that slowly shrank over 6 freaking months due to the left upper vas retracting before it could be cauterized. It's no fun, but the pain does go away pretty quick. Then it's just annoying.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Math Debater posted:

I'm scheduled to get a vasectomy on Friday September 18th and I feel super scared about it. I'm scared about the pain that I will be enduring and how this will interfere with my studies and whether or not I'll be able to make it to class in the morning on Monday September 21st.

It really doesn't hurt unless you're one of those unlucky fuckers. Or if you're a dumbass and don't take that weekend off. That's the number 1 cause of loving Your Balls Up, is if you don't get your rear end in bed and stay there. You should be fine to get around on Monday. I think I went to a job interview the Monday after I had mine.

Math Debater posted:

I've bought some "Papi" jock straps and some briefs and I have lots of loose fitting clothing available for me to wear. I also have bought lots of acetaminophen and ibuprofen and I will also have my prescribed klonopin pills and some sleeping pills available for me to take. I also have bought two "Cryo-Max Reusable 8 hour Cold Packs" and four "Nexcare Reusable Coldhot packs". And I've bought some scrotal shaving equipment too. So I've already bought lots of stuff in preparation for the vasectomy so I want to go through with it but I'm super scared!

You're going pretty overboard there. I didn't need any pain meds afterward. A bag of frozen peas is all most people get. My urologist specifically told me not to shave it myself, so I guess thats money wasted. What is scrotal shaving equipment and how is it different from regular shaving equipment?

Math Debater posted:

These recommendations to buy a cooler are also making me feel very anxious and uncertain. Would it seriously be risky/dangerous for me to walk the 10-20 feet from the living room couch to the freezer/refrigerator after getting the vasectomy? What about walking ~20ish feet to the bathroom?

I'm so scared! And will the jockstraps I've bought provide me with sufficient support? I've attached a selfie I took while wearing one of the new jockstraps I bought in preparation for the vasectomy. Have I bought the right kinda stuff and should I buy additional stuff, like a cooler?

A cooler is mostly for convenience, you will probably be fine walking that distance as long as you don't stay up for long and sit right back down after. Obviously you dont need to use a bedpan. Walking to the kitchen/bathroom is fine as long as you keep it short. If you can get someone to wait on you while you're recovering, that is ideal. For the smoothest recovery you want to spend as much time horizontal the first weekend as you can. Pretty much any jockstrap is fine as long as it's snug.

Math Debater posted:

I suppose I'll tell my professors I'm getting a vasectomy and that it might be interfering with my studies. And hopefully the other student in my program will follow through after having said yes to driving me to the hospital and then driving me back home after I get the surgery. I just told her I'm getting "surgery," I have yet to tell her that I'm getting a vasectomy.

Welp, thanks for your consideration! Any and all advice will be appreciated!

You'll be fine. I doubt you'll have to miss any class you weirdo. I'm like six years past mine and nobody but my girlfriend knows I had it done. Here's what to expect:
-It doesn't really hurt. It hurts once, because you're taking a needle to the zone, which sucks, but after that the worst you can expect is some weird sensations, like someone is tugging on something in your lower abdomen, which they are. It doesn't hurt but it feels weird.
-Pissing is kind of awkward. Try to keep your balls suspended in the sling of the banana hammock while you do this. The worst is when you wake up the next day with morning wood. Jock straps kind of suck to wear especially when they are also packed with gauze.
-Horror stories: All the skin on the head of my dick sloughed off after about a week. According to my Dr. this is normal but I would have liked to have known it was going to happen. It didn't hurt but it was weird and unnerving. Also some people report blood in their first ejaculate afterward. This did not happen to me but it is something to be aware of.
-Seriously stay in bed. Ideally you have somebody helping you out but if you are going to be alone that weekend you need to have food ready that is easy to eat. Make some poo poo and put it in the fridge. Get delivery. Don't stand around in the kitchen cooking poo poo. Don't spend more than a few minutes on your feet at all.
-Listen to your loving doctor. Wear the jockstrap for as long as he tells you. Don't jerk it or have sex for as long as he tells you. Wait longer, in fact. Don't be one of those dipshits who are having sex later that same day (I have literally read this before) because then WHOOPS you pop a stitch and your scrote is now the size and color of a prize-winning county fair tomato. Good luck it's really not as big a deal as it seems as long as you are smart about it.

Gross

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

I was the dumbass who didn't get a jock strap beforehand so I was going around in tight underwear immediately following the procedure finding a place to buy one. That took a couple hours at the end of which the lidocaine was wearing off. I did fine and didn't really have much pain. Short walks are no problem. Your balls are gonna be sensitive for a few weeks though so watch for that.

• Locked thread