Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendell
May 11, 2003

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's part of another universe they're playing with. In this universe, monsters under the bed actually exist and parental figures have to fight them nightly to protect their kids. The particular story they're presently telling is about a family where the mother has died of cancer and the father is grief-stricken and useless, so the older sister has taken over the monster-slaying duties.

In other words: it's an extended metaphor.

Thank you, now it makes sense. I still feel it is quite awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wendell posted:

It's pretty dire, yes. All of Tycho's more "serious" writing has that weirdly truncated feel, even the Rain-Slick game series.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm pretty okay with it, but I can definitely see how people wouldn't be. I think it would work a lot better if they gave it maybe three to four extra strips to fill things in more. (Of course, that might necessitate doing it as a separate thing from the main comic posting since hijacking the site's main comic to do a random short story is a risky move to begin with.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

It's pretty dire, yes. All of Tycho's more "serious" writing has that weirdly truncated feel, even the Rain-Slick game series.

One of the tools in a good writer's toolkit is not spelling everything out, but letting the reader get from A to C themselves and making them feel clever for figuring out the B. Tycho tries to go A to H and often doesn't bother with the A. I straight up skip their Lookouts poo poo at this point, because it's incoherent garbage.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Back to Poppy Chat, just to add to the discussion, the magic/antimagic bubble Poppy... popped prevented the dragon hunters from teleporting in, and they also hung back because it would disrupt their magic. That's why this is such an awesome rescue, because the bird is using a Lucky Star power, which we've already seen time and again as not playing by the regular rules of magic.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Also that bird is clearly Valente, which is kinda. :psyduck:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

Chicadino did say he'd get a new skeleton.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Captain Bravo posted:

Back to Poppy Chat, just to add to the discussion, the magic/antimagic bubble Poppy... popped prevented the dragon hunters from teleporting in, and they also hung back because it would disrupt their magic. That's why this is such an awesome rescue, because the bird is using a Lucky Star power, which we've already seen time and again as not playing by the regular rules of magic.
Well, she should really prioritize finding someone with a healing Lucky Star because this webcomic has been saying that, well, being strong as hell is cool, but when you heal from broken bones at the regular rate and you get into fights every two weeks, things are going to really start piling up.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Lucky Star powers don't work on possums, either. The Princess can't use her 'chemistry vision' on Poppy, for example. And Poppy was immune to the wolf-singer's hypnotism. So a healing power wouldn't help. (The exception is that boar-guy, who was using his power to boost his own strength, rather than doing anything to Poppy.)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Parts Kit posted:

I'm suddenly really confused about when we are. I know we jumped back a chapter because of pacing reasons, but I can't remember what was happening then. Is this after poppy visited chicadino?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm suddenly really confused about when we are. I know we jumped back a chapter because of pacing reasons, but I can't remember what was happening then. Is this after poppy visited chicadino?
Yes, this is afterwards. The jump was because some of the upcoming stuff wouldn't have made sense without the info from the chapter where Poppy visits Chicadino.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Such as Valente's new skeleton. That's gotta be him - the fire, the star, the exoskeletal beak, the suit and hat.
Therefore, what I want to know is will there also be shame cubing.

Renaissance Robot posted:

If you need to realign your sense of the continuity, the jump-back chapter was added to the archives in the correct order, so a re-read may be helpful.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Oh hey, Look carefully in panel 3 for a bit of prior foreshadowing...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Meanwhile, in Demon news, Jimmy continues to effortlessly escape Hunter like it aint no thang.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Wendell posted:

I liked the original with the new dad but this one is just gibberish

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

neogeo0823 posted:

Meanwhile, in Demon news, Jimmy continues to effortlessly escape Hunter like it aint no thang.

In the grim, dark future, shatterproof glass will no longer be mandatory in skyscrapers.

Watching him *thunk* into glass and slowly slide down would have been the best way to end Demon. :3:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

Well, she should really prioritize finding someone with a healing Lucky Star because this webcomic has been saying that, well, being strong as hell is cool, but when you heal from broken bones at the regular rate and you get into fights every two weeks, things are going to really start piling up.

Nah, according to the cat doctor man, opossums heal fast. And seeing how well Poppy can do when she's in a cast, she'll be fine anyways.

Also, while I was rereading through the archive, I noticed that Poppy is just under 3 feet tall, which is a neat little way that this comic works on a totally different scale than what we're used to. Also, from a little looking around I did, I don't think that's all that much bigger than the maximum size of a real-world opossum. I like how in the midst of all this junk about magic and gods, all these critters are also all just descendants of one big Rats-of-NIMH-style experiment.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 31, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nah, according to the cat doctor man, opossums heal fast. And seeing how well Poppy can do when she's in a cast, she'll be fine anyways.

Also, while I was rereading through the archive, I noticed that Poppy is just under 3 feet tall, which is a neat little way that this comic works on a totally different scale than what we're used to. Also, from a little looking around I did, I don't think that's all that much bigger than the maximum size of a real-world opossum. I like how in the midst of all this junk about magic and gods, all these critters are also all just descendants of one big Rats-of-NIMH-style experiment.

a 3-foot possum sounds loving terrifying IRL, they are ROUSes not cute moms

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

a 3-foot possum sounds loving terrifying IRL, they are ROUSes not cute moms

That's an adorable catte I didn't know we were posting catte pictures in this thread

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Burkion posted:

That's an adorable catte I didn't know we were posting catte pictures in this thread

For the love of god can we get an opossum version of the spider thread? (spider thread heh)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Just Offscreen posted:

For the love of god can we get an opossum version of the spider thread? (spider thread heh)

Thank you so much for alerting me to that wonderful thread

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I had forgotten about spiderthread. Now I have filled it with the stuff of nightmares.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
Matt Furie is now posting Boy's Club comics on his Tumblr

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
My break from Doomsday, My Dear is over and it's updating again. It's the beginning of chapter nine, so if you like to binge these things, there's 370 pages of backlog for your perusal.

\o/

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So Lackadaisy has another update and Tracy Butler continues to blow my goddamn mind. Look at that goddamn alleyway. Look at those loving colours.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

YggiDee posted:

So Lackadaisy has another update and Tracy Butler continues to blow my goddamn mind. Look at that goddamn alleyway. Look at those loving colours.

...is this about to be an orgy?

...because if so Tracy Butler somehow managed to make Mordecai's main story even more ridiculous and embarrassing than all his travails in the side-comics.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I think they're giving him an assistant (is this the right time period for "moll"?) to loosen him up. The swamp twins have probably twigged to just how crazy Mordecai really is by now. This guy will kill a whole room full of people without blinking. They're trying to see if he's their kind of crazy.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

wiegieman posted:

I think they're giving him an assistant (is this the right time period for "moll"?) to loosen him up. The swamp twins have probably twigged to just how crazy Mordecai really is by now. This guy will kill a whole room full of people without blinking. They're trying to see if he's their kind of crazy.

Yeah but she made a comment about where she was gonna place the Diable on his body. They might be giving him an assistant, though it might be a spiritual one?

Maybe this is leading to a ritualistic tattoo or piercing ceremony in order to mark him with their symbol or something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

...is this about to be an orgy?

...because if so Tracy Butler somehow managed to make Mordecai's main story even more ridiculous and embarrassing than all his travails in the side-comics.

I don't know how your mind arrived at that conclusion but the life you lead must be a strange and baffling one.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

JuniperCake posted:

Maybe this is leading to a ritualistic tattoo or piercing ceremony in order to mark him with their symbol or something.

That's the feeling I get from it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, it better be a symmetrical tattoo or Mordecai will lose his mind.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Buttlord Crush Saga delivers just like I was hoping it would.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Buttlord Crush Saga delivers just like I was hoping it would.
I wasn't expecting something this perfect

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Jackard posted:

I wasn't expecting something this perfect

It truly is perfect... Poor Mr. Huge.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today in Monster Pulse: superhuman angst

joking aside, that's a pretty rough thing for a kid to carry

fake edit: i just realized that statement would make a pretty accurate tagline for the story as a whole

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Well, considering today's post on the Dr. McNinja website, I think I have to at least partially retract my complaint from last week. I'm still tired of King Radical, but if this is all wrapping up into a cohesive end I can't really fault that.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Widdershins has a Kickstarter up for the latest book. It's already funded, but don't let that stop anyone.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look, I know both you guys are demons but THATS NOT HOW PHYSICS WORKS.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Oh come now I'm sure... holy poo poo, just read the latest pages, that's just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

SynthOrange posted:

They're in the future, man, physics has changed.

• Locked thread