Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I feel like we've been building up to String Theory's, like, long-tail plot since it started. Like has this all been setup, or is that just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I disagree about the faces in Iothera looking the same. On the contrary, I think the artist does a great job with facial variety for each character. For example, if Takako and Cassandra (the two women on today's page) switched hairstyles it would still be easy to tell them apart; their eyes, noses and mouths are different. I do agree, however, that the body proportions seem off and the poses are rather stiff.

But I don't want to sound like I am bashing the comic or that I hate it; quite the opposite.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 7, 2013

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Oh man I'm a little lat in doing this but thank you for giving my stuff a shout-out, idonotlikepeas! And thanks also for the kind words, Kismet and Grantaire!!

In other news, I've been reading a pretty cool Comic Biography about Ayn Rand, Doomsday My Dear has a rad new character, and if you're not reading Iothera because of some nitpicky art things, then you're missing out on a thoughtful comic with a great design sense and some mighty intriguing plot threads. Fricked up but true.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

In other news, I've been reading a pretty cool Comic Biography about Ayn Rand

This is really interesting.

And Doomsday My Dear continues to be great.

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010

FunkyAl posted:

In other news, I've been reading a pretty cool Comic Biography about Ayn Rand

Hey, didn't this guy do a bunch of comics about working in a hospital or something? I remember them being pretty great.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend

a bloody icon posted:

Thank you for linking my comic! For the uninformed, it is about the relationships and rivalries of the members of two gangs in a city called Riverside set just pre-Prohibition.

It's really excellent and I think the screentone thing you've been doing lately works very well.

Have you considered scanning some yellowed newsprint paper (as in, the paper type without actual print on it, not newspapers) for background texture, to up the "old newspaper" look? I think that could end up looking really neat.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
If we're suggesting stuff, Prague Race should go into, what, Fantasy?

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Dabbo posted:

Hey, didn't this guy do a bunch of comics about working in a hospital or something? I remember them being pretty great.

Yep, that's Darryl Cunningham! We both did talks at the same Laydeez Do Comics meeting earlier in the year, he is a very nice fellow who does extremely interesting work.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

I really love his comics on mental illness, he's very empathetic and presents his time working as a psychiatric nurse in a way that doesn't make a freakshow of the patients. :unsmith:

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat
He's also done a few comics on debunking modern hoaxes (the only one I can think of offhand is the Andrew Wakefield vaccine-autism thing.)

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Yes!! I'm really grateful for that and I hope they've educated at least some people on the issue.

Also I find his style really appealing.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

weavernaut posted:

It's really excellent and I think the screentone thing you've been doing lately works very well.

Have you considered scanning some yellowed newsprint paper (as in, the paper type without actual print on it, not newspapers) for background texture, to up the "old newspaper" look? I think that could end up looking really neat.

That is an interesting idea and I will have to experiment with it. I was adding textures from the internet for a little while but I decided eventually to do without.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

I think staining printer painter with weak tea might achieve a similar look, too? Worth a try anyway.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
There seems to be sufficient interest that it might make sense to just have a separate Goon Comics section in the OP. I'll get to work on that.

In the meantime, here's another comic to look at: Princess Planet.

This comic is, in essence, a collection of gags and wacky hijinks surrounding a princess (with a planetful of contemporaries, perhaps?) her princessing ways and occasional heroics (or even SUPER heroics), and her crazy family. Here are some example panels:

It's complete now, but there's plenty of it to read through. What do you think, thread?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Princess Planet rocks and deserves love.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

What do you think, thread?

I like it!

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I just came across Henchgirl, a newer comic in the super-hero parody subgenre. It isn't very long yet, but something about the free-wheeling artstyle is very appealing to me. There's some clear Kate Beaton influence.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

This is a pretty great joke about comics.

user on probation fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 9, 2013

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rei_ posted:

I feel like we've been building up to String Theory's, like, long-tail plot since it started. Like has this all been setup, or is that just me?

It's not just you. My own cynical take is that we've got like another year or two of updates before we get past "backstory". I think I'm going to try and find another webcomic that updates more frequently to take its place, and then come back to it every few months when someone mentions it again.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I feel good enough about the magical girl transformation page I just posted to mention that I make a comic called Ellie Starling's Very Long Walk. I think a few people read it but I'm not sure.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Travis that is an extremely charming comic and I like it!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's not just you. My own cynical take is that we've got like another year or two of updates before we get past "backstory". I think I'm going to try and find another webcomic that updates more frequently to take its place, and then come back to it every few months when someone mentions it again.

I think part of that might have to do with the comic's original description/"About" which some people remember. I now see the comic as being in full swing, but I did feel like you for a while too.

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
Great, a new thread. I follow too many webcomics, so I'm plugging a few that haven't been mentioned yet.

Skin Deep is about a hidden society of mythical creatures who live among us. What's really cool to me is that a lot of the characters are from lesser known myths.

Ghost Story, a comic about a struggling ghost hunter, just started up a few weeks ago, but it is going to be pretty awesome.

Balderdash is a cute comic. Its about a witch who wants to be a baker, and it has some really pretty art.

Solstoria is about a young girl who wants to be a knight, and is just lovely as well.

I don't think Nimona was mentioned yet, which is a real shame because its awesome. It's about a girl with shapeshifting powers who becomes a sidekick to a supervillain.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Fame Throwa posted:

Great, a new thread. I follow too many webcomics, so I'm plugging a few that haven't been mentioned yet.

Skin Deep is about a hidden society of mythical creatures who live among us. What's really cool to me is that a lot of the characters are from lesser known myths.

Ghost Story, a comic about a struggling ghost hunter, just started up a few weeks ago, but it is going to be pretty awesome.

Balderdash is a cute comic. Its about a witch who wants to be a baker, and it has some really pretty art.

Solstoria is about a young girl who wants to be a knight, and is just lovely as well.

I don't think Nimona was mentioned yet, which is a real shame because its awesome. It's about a girl with shapeshifting powers who becomes a sidekick to a supervillain.

Just wanna say thanks for those primo links and keep up the good work.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Travis343 posted:

I feel good enough about the magical girl transformation page I just posted to mention that I make a comic called Ellie Starling's Very Long Walk. I think a few people read it but I'm not sure.

I was just about to post this, I've really been enjoying this comic since I found it a few weeks ago, It kind of reminds me of Cucumber Quest with a bit less paper Mario and a bit more Legend of Zelda and old school Final Fantasy.

Some other decent fantasy comics I haven't seen mentioned yet,

The Fox Sister: This is a story about one girl's quest for revenge against a shape shifting fox demon that killed her family, it's also a story about the rise of Christianity in post war Korea. Notable for using <marks like this> when people are speaking in English. Has some realy Amazing art but only updates once a week.

Namesake: The titular namesakes in this comic are people with the same names as the protagonists from story books who find themselves whisked away to the worlds of those stories to go on their own hero's journey and solve the problems that have arisen since the original protagonist left. The comic fallows a girl named Emma who for reasons yet unknown is sucked into the land of Oz instead of the next Dorthy. Gos for a story book illustration look with muted colors in a limited number of shades.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Strong Female Protagonist updated. I admit I thought this would happen but I had my doubts the whole time.

Really glad Feral didn't get burned completely to cinders. Having burned organs must hurt so goddamn bad though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
A Redtail's Dream Is a Finnish webcomic (written in English) and is unutterably pretty. The story is simple and charming, it's a straightforward supernatural quest story with an episodic structure but plenty of Stuff Happening, and also involves the worlds cutest dog/snake/rabbit/moose/etc). Super regular page-a-day schedule in full digital-painted colour glory, it's on it's way to finishing up in the next few months I think then the author plans to start her REAL webcomic since this was just meant to be a warmup project that kinda expanded in the telling.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

tehloki posted:

This is a pretty great joke about webcomics.
(a.) Don't hotlink images, (b.) I give up, how is this a joke about webcomics?

I'd like to nominate The Intrepid Girlbot, the adventures of a plucky robot and her eclectic mix of friends and acquaintances.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Seconding A Redtail's Dream. It has one of the most well done portrayals of a "kind of jaded" teenager I think I've seen. It is absolutely fantastic and everyone should read it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Travis343 posted:

Oh dang, I didn't know you were a goon!

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Strong Female Protagonist updated. I admit I thought this would happen but I had my doubts the whole time.

Really glad Feral didn't get burned completely to cinders. Having burned organs must hurt so goddamn bad though.

They attacked before the doctors started opening her up again, which may have contributed to her survival. So her internal organs shouldn't have been hit by direct fire unless it burned through her skin, muscle and fat and only damaged through conducted heat, it would still be agonising though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I like how Feral was already healing as she was hobbling out of the hospital. She got her arms back by the time she told Alison to not make street hamburgers.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

I'd like to nominate The Intrepid Girlbot, the adventures of a plucky robot and her eclectic mix of friends and acquaintances.

(a.) Oops, thanks for reminding me. I edited the post to include a link to the source as well as rehosting the image. (b.) I guess it's more a joke about comics in general, I edited the post to say that too. I just like the idea of subverting the expectation that the characters aren't interacting 3-dimensionally with the word balloons by having them all obscured with ridiculous hair.

e: That last update made me finally subscribe to Strong Female Protagonist, I want to see where this is going. Anybody have weird issues with it in feedly? It says the site is "dormant" even though the last entry is from 6 hours ago

user on probation fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 9, 2013

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Holy crap it's like night of the living pot roast.

Yeah I figured she'd regenerate as well, though it would have been interesting if Allison slipped a bit more down to evil. It'll be interesting to see if she has any consequences from threatening to murder an entire crowd.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Travis343 posted:

The art's a little iffy at first, but this is pretty cute! Also, I am a sucker for gifs. It kind of has a video-game Narnia feel to it.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

I honestly thought that was a personal shot at Chapel Chronicles at first. I have no idea past that.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

(b.) I give up, how is this a joke about webcomics?

I'm pretty sure it's an inversion of the too many words problem.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 9, 2013

Tank!
Oct 29, 2008

Popping into the new thread to link my comic, Bad Reputation, which is about to start its fourth chapter! It's about pirates and ugly people mostly. Some other stuff later.

I'd also like to link:

Drunkards of the Cosmos

Monster's Garden

and Bittersweet Candy Bowl!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

AriadneThread posted:

The art's a little iffy at first, but this is pretty cute! Also, I am a sucker for gifs. It kind of has a video-game Narnia feel to it.

I think you mean to say that the art is kind of horrifying at first. I'm actually redoing the entire first chapter because I stupidly drew it at something like 3x5 inches and a bunch of them are inconsistently sized. I'm taking the opportunity to bring the art more in-line with the latest pages.

Thanks to everybody who commented on my comic! I think being compared to Cucumber Quest is about the highest praise I've ever received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Today's Demons Mirror. :sbahj: Read from here to the next two. It's a sort of instant feast magic thing. I didn't even notice she was holding something in the last update.

• Locked thread