Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

As The Crow Flies is another neat comic with a queer person of color as the protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Terry van Feleday posted:

hey, so Ava's Demon is pretty good??

I've seen some complaints about the one-panel-a-page format, but that's kind of necessary in this instance. See, in a more traditional format, it's hard for the eye to focus on one panel exclusively, since it tends to wander around the image no matter what...

...Also, yeah, the author really needs to get some Javascript wizardry in there because the hideous loading times really throw off the otherwise very deliberately crafted pacing.

The load time is only 1 component of my problem with Ava's Demon's format. Traditional panel layouts convey a lot of things to me: the length of a moment, the importance of a moment, the relationship of that moment to other moments on the same page. For me, whatever Ava's Demon gains by the decision to display 1 panel at a time (and all the same size), isn't offset by the color balance of each panel.

Off the top of my head, when this update happened:

I felt this moment lost some of it's impact by being the exact same size and shape as every other panel.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Broodhollow is back :dance:

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah I'm kind of sad that Learn From Webcomics died back in like what, April? That was a super good idea.

Honestly, don't think there's much more to learn from bad webcomics than what Learn from Webcomics already covered. Learning from good webcomics would maybe be a more fertile topic since you can learn from both their innovations and their missteps.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Nuclear Winter is a pretty cool comic about Montreal after a nuclear disaster.

Here's a taste!

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Speaking of furry comics, I don't know if it's repressed or ironic or whatever the gently caress, but BattleCroc seems pretty cool to me.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Pavlov posted:

I'll agree it's less fetishized, but what I mean is the main character still seems like she's just a bunch of awkward character traits meant to appeal to lonely basement dwelling dudes.

I have the impression that IWYTFTP is trying to take a "nerdbait" cast show them in a different light. So I would typically expect a character like Shadow to wind up with a character like Pete, the nice guy who's been carrying a torch for years. Instead, it's made abundantly clear that she's just not into him. Maybe she's a lesbian or maybe she's bi and it's just him.

Basically, Shadow might appeal to lonely basement dwellers, but they don't appeal to her. Cool musicians appeal to her.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Yeah I am kind of still stuck on the totally inappropriate 'critique' of Watson's advice. I can't even process the rest of it.

I think the mother of the teenage girl might have said it best

quote:

For those who think there should be more done to help girls like my daughter I say that there is but it has more to do with actions than words. And when it has to do with words, they should be words against poor treatment of women not words warning women. That’s like saying a girl who shows too much skin is asking for sexual assault. Essentially, my daughter was told, through comments, that she can “come in” to webcomics but she should dress modestly and be careful that nothing she does causes a man to realize she is a female because they may disenfranchise her. That is not helpful.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be perfectly honest, I really don't see how it qualifies as a 'superhero' comic (his words, not mine). I mean this guy is an absolute goddamn sociopath who's (indirectly) murdered possibly hundreds of people. I'm really finding it hard to root for him.

The appeal is similar to Breaking Bad, Dexter, Game of Thrones... basically any case where the protagonist is also the antagonist.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

I really love The Girl Who Flew Away but am also hoping maybe things will sort of look up for Greer somewhat soon :ohdear:

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Here are some complete short story comics:

http://www.emcarroll.com

http://strangelykatie.com

And ongoing short stories centered around a certain set of themes

http://mortalityplays.com

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Kismet posted:

It's cool that he's passed at least a third of his process to someone who knows what they're doing. :shobon: Though the prospect of Ctrl-Alt-Del eventually evolving into the internet's first legacy comic is sort of disturbing.

Trenches beat him to it

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Cool Last Cowboy started updating again

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Unfortunately part of what makes it so good (its traditional storytelling style and rejection of the serial update standard of "gotta have a joke/significant plot update on every page") means I pretty much can't read it until it gets to the end of the chapter. :saddowns:

Worth the wait though.

I'm not that patient... comics like this I read update by update and then reread at the end of the chapter.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

What's the deal with the Tumblr-nose?

What's the deal with associating color zones of the face with tumblr?

Edit: I mean it's a completely normal cartooning convention rooted in the actual colors of people's faces

thousandcranes fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 4, 2015

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

I feel like videogame/comic hybrids lose the strengths of both mediums

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

I dunno I just showed three people Catalyst and all of them bailed by the second episode for the same reasons I did including

-Text eats a third of the screen
--Isn't positioned well over image, requiring artist to use semi transparent balloons
--No balloon tails or character portraits to clearly indicate who is speaking
--Useless video game UI elements add clutter and otherwise clash with the super serious high fantasy aesthetic

-Difficulty conveying mood, length of moments
--In a video game the music would change to suit the mood of particular moments
--Also probably the music wouldn't loop so clumsily
--In a comic panel sizes etc would help convey mood and importance of each moment
--Having to manually progress the story can cause you to miss animation which is there to help with this problem
--Larger animation pieces are super clippy detracting from the otherwise appealing art

-Site is completely ill suited for displaying this content
--Site has crashed multiple times as I have tried to type this up
--Navigation doesn't make sense for this type of content
--Site tries to force me into a full screen mode which doesn't even display the images correctly.

-Obviously the whole thing is on rails and player choice is like the largest strength of video games so...

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Tessa Stone started a new comic: http://www.ndecomic.com/

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

This comic looks really nice and I can't wait for Tessa to completely abandon it after a few months.

This will absolutely happen but her comics are worth the ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Cool comic The Well by the House on the Hill finished up so now is probably a great time to check it out if you didn't already

• Locked thread