Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Those actual headphone measuring rigs aren't just binaural mics in a frame, they're pretty hardcore advanced with efforts to simulate the ear canal and how sound actually travels. Crinacle did a huge video some time ago talking about how they work, all the standards that go into them and how they differ from the ASMR mics like the KU100.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc__cF6i2mw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

And the newest generation are just so drat cool

They took MRIs of 40+ people, averaged them, and made a test rig that measures at the eardrum point of a reasonable facsimile of a human ear canal instead of the ear canal opening like the old ones do

They are so different from the old heads that there's a new standard, and older research has to be redone because of it! Love this stuff

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

njsykora posted:

Those actual headphone measuring rigs aren't just binaural mics in a frame, they're pretty hardcore advanced with efforts to simulate the ear canal and how sound actually travels. Crinacle did a huge video some time ago talking about how they work, all the standards that go into them and how they differ from the ASMR mics like the KU100.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc__cF6i2mw
Neat. However what I gather from this video, it's about the ear canals. I don't see anything that helps in regards to measuring bone conduction.

Either way, I'm glad these things sound better than anticipated. At least good enough for running and snowboarding. For the rest, I still have my Airpods Pro.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Combat Pretzel posted:

Neat. However what I gather from this video, it's about the ear canals. I don't see anything that helps in regards to measuring bone conduction.

????

Your ear canals are resonant chambers, it doesn't matter how the sound is produced or where it's coming from.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The waves need to travel a bit through skin and I presume some bone, with what being called bone conducting headphones, to reach the ear canal structure. Those rigs don't have these structures replicated?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

There's add-ons for those heads coming, but as far as I'm aware none of the reviewers have them yet because the only one ready for primetime is the head acoustics one for the HMS mannequins

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Combat Pretzel posted:

The waves need to travel a bit through skin and I presume some bone, with what being called bone conducting headphones, to reach the ear canal structure. Those rigs don't have these structures replicated?

Oh, yeah no, there are no standardized bone conduction test rigs afaik. You're probably right that whatever measurements going on are not representative, I misinterpreted.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Okay folks, new thread is up. The OP is a WIP because I'm about to step onto a plane for 12 hours but I'll be able to finish in the coming days

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036610&pagenumber=1&perpage=40&userid=0#post533175879

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess Sony is sending me a replacement for my melted XM4s, thank god. Was worried they were going to try and blame me with the 5th degree they were giving me on the phone. They sort of did and called the replacement a "courtesy" but also said it was a known issue lol. Claiming there was liquid in the port, but I don't know how the hell that could have been true. Idgaf as long as they are sending me new ones.

I think it was a fluke but in the future, I am going to be very careful with what cables I use and what devices I charge them off of. I loved those drat headphones.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I got drunk in front of my computer 2 weeks ago and when I left the house for work 3 days later I found a Creative Soundblaster AE-9 on my doorstep. I am dumb but instead of returning it I decided to get some headphones to pair with it and I went with the Adam Audio SP-5. I wanted some headphones that could output great sound but not too heavy on bass and these are really good for it. My previous best headphones were nowhere near this price range and it is pretty amazing the amount of extra details I can pick up in music tracks that I have heard many times before. Apart from fidgeting with the equalizer a bit for different types of music and games these have been really fun to listen to. I will probably go deaf in a year or so.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

KZ seem to have finally pissed off literally everyone after straight up trying to pay DMS for a review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45i6dTYZNLE

And they took a shot at both Crinacle and Truthear on Facebook which led to this community post from Crin.

quote:

I'll be completely boycotting KZ and their associated sub-brands (CCA/Joyodio) from here on out. All models will be removed in the latest Ranking List update and blacklisted from any future reviews.

Any new releases from them may be measured as a basic courtesy but will be very, very low on the priority list.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Are the Sennheiser HD 660S as much of a ripoff as they look? From what I understand they offer no substantive improvements over the HD 600/650 series, only some minor tuning to make it sound less stereotypically Sennheiserish and some bronze decals that raise the price from $200 for the HD 6XX to $600.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Woolie Wool posted:

Are the Sennheiser HD 660S as much of a ripoff as they look? From what I understand they offer no substantive improvements over the HD 600/650 series, only some minor tuning to make it sound less stereotypically Sennheiserish and some bronze decals that raise the price from $200 for the HD 6XX to $600.

The bronze is the 660S 2, right? The original 660S is quite a bit cheaper now

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

This thread is the old, new thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036610

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I was really wondering why there were no posts in here lol