Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I've been using a pair of beyerdynamic DT250 80ohm for a while now but I've recently changed my setup and am trying to work out how I can reduce the volume level beyond what my current setup allows. Previously I had them plugged in to the passthrough output of a set of speakers which was actually tied to the speaker volume control, so I could get a reasonable listening volume through the physical dial and leave windows/app levels set to about 50%. I'm now running the headphones directly from my PC's line out (the only audio output on this motherboard) and I'm finding the volume too loud for most sources. I have my system volume set between 2-10% as the primary volume control, with musicbee set to 10% and other apps I have to remember to turn down if they don't retain their settings (mpv...). Wondering if there's a decent inline volume control or a DAC that works well at low volumes, or if I need to try find another set of headphones with lower sensitivity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

wolrah posted:

Apple also makes a USB-C to 3.5mm dongle which is very well regarded for use even with Android phones. I have one that I use to connect my IEMs to my Pixel 7 and it works great. I've also used it with my PC a few times, it just shows up as a standard USB audio class device.

I thought using it on Android was iffy because you needed to use special (paid) apps to adjust the volume?

I got a 7Hz 71 ($35) to add a headphone port to my new S23. Sounds good and has no issues driving my 560S even at half volume. But I'd have gotten the $8 thing if I had thought it would work haha

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Discussion Quorum posted:

I thought using it on Android was iffy because you needed to use special (paid) apps to adjust the volume?

I got a 7Hz 71 ($35) to add a headphone port to my new S23. Sounds good and has no issues driving my 560S even at half volume. But I'd have gotten the $8 thing if I had thought it would work haha

No, Android people just love spreading bullshit about how you need to pay extra to make Apple stuff work on Android. It works just like any other USB-C dongle. Though in the EU for some reason it's not as good which is why you don't see it as often around here.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

njsykora posted:

Let’s Talk Headphones IV: No, Android people just love spreading bullshit

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Of course they do, they are machines

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

njsykora posted:

No, Android people just love spreading bullshit about how you need to pay extra to make Apple stuff work on Android. It works just like any other USB-C dongle. Though in the EU for some reason it's not as good which is why you don't see it as often around here.

lmao what the gently caress is this post? you're completely wrong and being extremely weird about it. there's a software issue that keeps the apple usb-c dongle from reaching past half volume on android, it's been well known for eons and is not bullshit at all, I have one right here and can demonstrate it

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Sooo hd560 first impressions vs my xm4s : feels like a slightly more refined sound stage, there's kinda like a greater sense of space to everything, which is cool, BUT I do miss the punchier bass of the xm4s (understand this is the usual compromise for open backs). Like if I listen to the track 'Harridan' by Porcupine Tree, the intro sounds pretty weedy on the hd560s, whereas on the xm4s it's properly thick and impactful.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

Sooo hd560 first impressions vs my xm4s : feels like a slightly more refined sound stage, there's kinda like a greater sense of space to everything, which is cool, BUT I do miss the punchier bass of the xm4s (understand this is the usual compromise for open backs). Like if I listen to the track 'Harridan' by Porcupine Tree, the intro sounds pretty weedy on the hd560s, whereas on the xm4s it's properly thick and impactful.

I had some HD650s for a while and they did nothing for me tbh. Maybe I'm just not picky enough about sound quality but XM4s just sound all around way better to me. I mean, they did sound good but so do XM4s I'll take extra bass and wireless over it any day of the week.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Try an equalizer app!

One of the better things about headphones with a flatter response is that it's relatively easier to get them sounding like you want them to. Most apps like wavelet are smart enough to handle the preamp gain and whatnot so try adding a bass shelf!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I had some HD650s for a while and they did nothing for me tbh. Maybe I'm just not picky enough about sound quality but XM4s just sound all around way better to me. I mean, they did sound good but so do XM4s I'll take extra bass and wireless over it any day of the week.

That's kinda where I'm at at the moment. I love my xm4s to bits, and I loved my xm3s as well. I might give the HD 560S another few days and then send em back to amazon if I don't discover their magic.

If anyone can sell me on the benefits then I'm all ears!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Any recommendations for sports-focused wireless IEMs? Sweat resistance and staying secure in place are as important as sound quality here. My Buds2 Pro are fine for daily use, but I keep having to adjust them while running or even doing low-impact stuff at the gym. I wish they'd kept the wing tips from the previous model.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

lmao what the gently caress is this post? you're completely wrong and being extremely weird about it. there's a software issue that keeps the apple usb-c dongle from reaching past half volume on android, it's been well known for eons and is not bullshit at all, I have one right here and can demonstrate it

I've been using an Apple USB-C dongle for 4+ years and I've never had this issue.

The version sold in the EU is volume limited

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

I think my terminology is wrong. My phone has no headphone jack, so is there a particular device I should use to stream music from my phones to the cans?

When I got the Galaxy Note 20 a few years back and it didn't have a headphone jack.....I just bought a cheap little bluetooth receiver (Fiio uBTR) that I still use today. Few features.....but IEM/Earbuds sound good and the battery life is impressive. I specifically like that it has a clip to attach it to whatever you're wearing.....which is great for keeping the headphone cables out of your way.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 1, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

grack posted:

I've been using an Apple USB-C dongle for 4+ years and I've never had this issue.

The version sold in the EU is volume limited

Most people will never know and it won't bother them because IEMs are sensitive enough for it not to matter. Plug it into a windows machine or an apple device and tell me if you get the same max volume. I can assure you that people aren't making up the issue because they're android fanatics trying to destroy apple's stranglehold on the lovely $8 audio adapter market or whatever people think is going on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

this is why I kinda leaned toward the 6~~ and asked you if you were ok being tethered to an amp. They’re a bit punchier and more balanced (bassier) imo

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Most people will never know and it won't bother them because IEMs are sensitive enough for it not to matter. Plug it into a windows machine or an apple device and tell me if you get the same max volume. I can assure you that people aren't making up the issue because they're android fanatics trying to destroy apple's stranglehold on the lovely $8 audio adapter market or whatever people think is going on.

I will admit initial skepticism, but I can confirm that my (US-purchased) Apple dongle is quieter out of my Pixel 5a than my PC.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I find the Sony WH-1000XM* headphones to have muddy, exaggerated bass. Everything else in the music gets drowned out by the bass. While the bass in a typical open-back headphone is generally like eating a dish that's lacking salt, the WH-1000XM* headphones are like eating a dish so oversalted that salt is the only ingredient you can taste.

IEMs are the best way to get great, impactful bass that doesn't bleed if you don't want to deal with the hassle of EQ. Sure, there are timbre snobs who will bleat on about how the Sennheiser HD 6X0 headphones are the most speaker-like headphone because of how accurate the timbre is, but the good speakers I've listened to don't have bass that anemic.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I bought a pair of iems. First pair I wanted in a long time. Softears Twilight... holy poo poo. This thing is has ultra 3D out of the head staging. Im instantly in love. It has sultry treble so not for treble lovers but its mids are fing incredible and 3D.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
So I applied the wavelet auto eq on the hd560s, and they definitely sound a lot better on the bass front. Of course now I worry that I'll be losing some ineffable other qualities that I could never even begin to understand...

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Should be fine, you're not using Bluetooth so you don't have to worry about signal fuckery

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Helter Skelter posted:

I will admit initial skepticism, but I can confirm that my (US-purchased) Apple dongle is quieter out of my Pixel 5a than my PC.

i'm amazed anyone is even skeptical about it, it's been widely reported since the thing came out. this is genuinely the first i've ever heard of people thinking it's a made up issue. why would anyone make up the issue???

vvv sure but this isn't like "the apple dongle smears the soundstage and makes the treble more wooly" or whatever garbage, it's "unlike most dongles, the apple one implements volume control in hardware and the volume default is 50%. android kernel doesn't support that hardware volume control so 50% is max volume unless you use an app that does support hardware control and they're mostly paid"

like, we know what the issue is lol

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 2, 2023

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Probably because audiophiles make up a lot of bullshit so even odds it's not real if they're crowing about something

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a ANC headphone with low enough latency that's good for PC gaming and to drown out my loud AC unit. Wired would be best. Are there any recommendations? It working with my PS5 will be a plus and has to be over the ear.

Anywhere around >$400 but if there are good ones please let me know.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i'm amazed anyone is even skeptical about it, it's been widely reported since the thing came out. this is genuinely the first i've ever heard of people thinking it's a made up issue. why would anyone make up the issue???
You said it yourself:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Most people will never know and it won't bother them because IEMs are sensitive enough for it not to matter.
I use mine almost exclusively on Android with whatever $50 Amazon IEMs this thread was discussing a year or so ago and it easily gets uncomfortably loud without getting close to the software limits so I never even considered that there might be a hardware limit.

It all makes sense and explains why when I plug the adapter in to my Macbook I only seem to need one or two notches of volume where my Android phone is at about 50%, but it's hard to figure out why one might not think there is a limit because it just doesn't matter to a common use case.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I was really only skeptical because I could have sworn I'd tried it previously and hadn't noticed any difference. :shrug:

But also yeah it still gets plenty loud for most IEMs regardless.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Update on the Sennheiser HD 560S... I now love them.

After I acclimatised to the relative lack of bass compared to the mx4s, I really think they sound great, and they're super comfy.

Only drawback is that now I love my mx4s less, and find the bass quite oppressive and overpowering.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Luckily you can always EQ or reduce the "clear bass" option in the Sony app; I usually drop it by 2 notches anyway

But hey! Glad you like them so much!

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 6, 2023

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Quick check in - been rocking Sennheiser HD 800 for years. Love the soundstage for my personal projects, comfort and don't care about bass. Anything come out that dunks on them? If not I'll probably just keep going with them until they blow up.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

just keep ridin' them; the improvements you'd get by switching aren't really worth dropping hundreds/thousands for unless you're really just looking for something different

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you’re up in that price class you should be buying expecting them to last forever anyway.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My xm4s didn’t seem to be charging right recently. With the battery almost dead last night I plugged them in to where Ive always charged them, come back from work and the loving charge port completely melted. Wanna cry rn lol. gently caress!

I really hope Sony covers this. They are only about 8 months old.

Within the last 12 hours my MacBooks motherboard died, my luxury headphones melted and my PC started running fucky. I hate technology atm.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

My xm4s didn’t seem to be charging right recently. With the battery almost dead last night I plugged them in to where Ive always charged them, come back from work and the loving charge port completely melted. Wanna cry rn lol. gently caress!

I really hope Sony covers this. They are only about 8 months old.

Within the last 12 hours my MacBooks motherboard died, my luxury headphones melted and my PC started running fucky. I hate technology atm.

Is there a chance your electrics are hosed?

Surely Sony will cover that anyway, it must be within warranty.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno, but I am so wary of USB C stuff at this point. This is third time I have had something melt a port (all different devices and chargers. I got rid of any problematic stuff in the past). Everything uses it and nothing comes with a charger anymore just some 2 inch generic USB C cable with little to no info or warnings. This is the first one that stings though. Everything else was cheap junk.

Charging has been weird with this thing from the get go. I posted earlier about how it wouldn't indicate it was charging unless it was on so I often had no idea if it was charging. The last few days I tried to charge it off the lamp on my nightstand and laptop just to find it at a an almost dead battery so it didn't actually charge. So I plugged it in to a usb port on my couch. I have used this port to charge it many times and also use it for other various things including Inzones which are basically the same headphones for gaming. never had any issues. Then all of a sudden I come home to this. The port and headphones where bone dry so I don't think it was moisture or anything.

Anyways look at this crap. Glad it didn't burn my house down.

Googling makes it seem like this is not actually all that uncommon. Really sucks, cause I love these headphones otherwise. Really hope Sony honors the warranty and doesn''t try to blame me or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah also the real kicker is it didn’t even charge lol. I turned them on and got the same low battery message I got before I plugged them in

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

veni veni veni posted:

Charging has been weird with this thing from the get go. I posted earlier about how it wouldn't indicate it was charging unless it was on so I often had no idea if it was charging. The last few days I tried to charge it off the lamp on my nightstand and laptop just to find it at a an almost dead battery so it didn't actually charge. So I plugged it in to a usb port on my couch. I have used this port to charge it many times and also use it for other various things including Inzones which are basically the same headphones for gaming. never had any issues. Then all of a sudden I come home to this. The port and headphones where bone dry so I don't think it was moisture or anything.
If the device has been having trouble charging from multiple sources it sounds like the likely cause is a dirty or damaged charge port on the headphones themselves, that the couch was just willing to feed enough power to generate some real heat where the others might not have. Melting the area around the socket like that means something was causing a lot of unexpected resistance right there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone have any good recommendations for a USB DAC that supports both wired and bluetooth headphones (LDAC would be awesome)?

USB-C preferred for a single data/power cable.

Somewhat unrelated, I have my XM5 headphones now and I really like them although my one complaint is the bluetooth connection to my iphone is kinda bad. Playing music is fine it is the microphone for calls, it just cuts out a lot. Actually even the audio is bad but only with Teams. With music, no problem. Is it telling me teams sucks? Probably!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

priznat posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations for a USB DAC that supports both wired and bluetooth headphones (LDAC would be awesome)?

Somewhat unrelated, I have my XM5 headphones now and I really like them although my one complaint is the bluetooth connection to my iphone is kinda bad. Playing music is fine it is the microphone for calls, it just cuts out a lot. Actually even the audio is bad but only with Teams. With music, no problem. Is it telling me teams sucks? Probably!

My issues with the XM5 is that the touch controls seem to bork out and ignore commands. Also has a tendency to restart what I had paused when the headphones are on a table. Like it shouldn't be doing that but whatever. I got them cheap, minor annoyance.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

priznat posted:

Check out the Qudelix 5k or Fiio BTR5/BTR7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

qirex posted:

Check out the Qudelix 5k or Fiio BTR5/BTR7.

it sounds like they're asking for a DAC/amp with a bluetooth transmitter, not a DAC/amp that takes bluetooth input

there are devices that take digital input and relay it to LDAC like the fiio BTA30 but i'm not aware of any that combine that functionality with a wired headphone driver