Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Ultimate Mango posted:

You may want a volume attenuator. Shure and Bose both used to pack them in with certain models and may work cleanly enough for you. No reason not to get an amp though, they can control things nicely and there are decent FiiO and other inexpensive brands.
With an attenuator you would just go loud from the PC and notch it down.

The attenuator sounds like what I need to look into. An amp seems like overkill to just gain analog volume control when I'm already happy with the sound directly from this. In the meantime (as in, the hours that it'll take to wade through the audiophile cesspool I find when searching for "headphone volume attenuation"), I'm just going to assign two of my unused mouse buttons to VOL+/VOL-.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

shymog posted:

The attenuator sounds like what I need to look into. An amp seems like overkill to just gain analog volume control when I'm already happy with the sound directly from this. In the meantime (as in, the hours that it'll take to wade through the audiophile cesspool I find when searching for "headphone volume attenuation"), I'm just going to assign two of my unused mouse buttons to VOL+/VOL-.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Look for something like this http://www.earphonesolutions.com/leatwivoco.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=leatwivoco&gclid=CKzA9K7xsLkCFcN_QgodSU4Aug

Should be no more than $15, maybe half that if you find a knock off brand.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Skim Milk posted:

I just ordered a pair of Shure SE215s, I'll let you all know how that goes. I had a pair of Etymotic ER-6is years ago and loved them but I'm looking for something a little more casual. I'm curious to see how the Shure's compare to my HD650s, AKG K702s and Denon D2000s. From what I've read, the Shures have a sound in the same vein of those headphones.

I don't want to be rude but I demoed the Shure 215s the other week and thought they sounded like warmed up balls.

I put them side by side with the Yamaha EPH-100 which cost about the same and they just blew them away in terms of clarity and separation. Even my wife's $60 UE600 sound better.

Edit, they get good reviews though, so who knows, maybe the pair I tested were worn out.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 5, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So I ended up ordering some Westone 4Rs, will post a trip report when I snag them this weekend (happened to be visiting back home, so shipped to my parents' place and saved like $40 in tax :toot:)

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Dude who had the V-Moda headphones that were dieing you can get any of their other headphones 50% off with the lifetime replacement 50% off thingy. But get what ever you want, just wanted to make you aware you could get new ones for like $100 even.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

frozenpeas posted:

I don't want to be rude but I demoed the Shure 215s the other week and thought they sounded like warmed up balls....

...Edit, they get good reviews though, so who knows, maybe the pair I tested were worn out.

Ultimate Mango posted:

The 200 series Shure are a gateway drug.....

Somewhere between warmed up balls and drugs? :xcom:

They arrived today and overall I'm very pleased.

I can see where frozenpeas was coming from on the "warmed up balls" quote. They do lack a little bit of high end. Cymbals and some guitar notes aren't as in-you-face as they sound elsewhere, but it's not a big deal. I typically listen to variety of metal and rock, mostly on the heavier side, so the highs aren't missed so much. The amount of punch and detail the bass has is surprising. I know I sound like a giant audiophile when I say this, but overall they sound very "warm". They remind me a lot of when I had a tube headphone amplifier.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Don't worry, you're not an audiophile until you start talking about "black backgrounds", and "emotional clarity" or some other poo poo. "Warm" is a perfectly reasonable way to describe the SE215s.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

By "gateway drug" I meant that you will like the Shure 215s enough that you will want to find ones that are better, because they aren't good enough to stop there. I mean they are pretty good, no shame in liking them. Then you start to wonder and hear some other pairs and then over a few years you realize you have spent more money than is sane or reasonable on iems.

Hopefully my looking for more stops tomorrow when my new customs arrive...

I am giddy like a schoolgirl, I can't freaking wait.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

grack posted:

Don't worry, you're not an audiophile until you start talking about "black backgrounds", and "emotional clarity" or some other poo poo. "Warm" is a perfectly reasonable way to describe the SE215s.

I thought the term black background was bullshit til I heard my T50rp.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

I thought the term black background was bullshit til I heard my T50rp.

And I had my first run in with background when I paired a Headroom Total Airhead portable amp (powered by four AAA batteries!) with an iPod (before there were different versions) and some Bose QC15 headphones. The noise floor was audible, even with music at low-ish volumes. It actually made scratchy sounds when changing the volume because of the design of the amp.
Good times back then. I think I ran into one person in a million miles of travel who knew what a headphone amp was at that time.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
A friend moved to next to a major thoroughfare. She basically can't study at home due to the noise. She listened to my Shure SE215's and was extremely impressed by the sound isolation. Will a $20 pair of IEM's from Monoprice or with good-fitting tips (e.g. foam or triple flanges) have comparable sound isolation? She's willing to pay more than that, but only if there's a meaningful improvement in sound isolation.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Etymotic Etykids. $20 off of Amazon, some of the best noise-isolating headphones you can get. Ignore the stupid name (they just don't get very loud)

Edit: And of course, I probably should've checked before I said that because they're out of stock. Still, probably the best isolating headset in the price range

grack fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 7, 2013

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

grack posted:

Etymotic Etykids. $20 off of Amazon, some of the best noise-isolating headphones you can get. Ignore the stupid name (they just don't get very loud)

Honestly though that's a blessing in disguise. You don't want headphones that isolate well to get that loud, especially when the source of the force acting against your eardrum is so near your inner ear. Noise-induced hearing loss is something that a huge number of people have, and it's very easy to inflict on yourself.

I have a special place in my heart for headphones that clip the max volume like that.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Thanks for the heads up on those, I liked my dear departed ER-4p's so much I bought a set.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Budget - ~$200 CDN (if that matters)
Source - Dedicated Soundcard
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full Size Super-aural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Grado 60i, Koss Porto-pro (enjoyed)
Preferred Music - Mostly Rock, Jazz, Prog, but I have an eclectic taste of music so anything goes.

Hey guys, my Grado 60i's are finally biting the dust after 5 years. The wire started the split at the base of the cans and at the Y intersection. I'm willing to upgrade to the SR225i's but I'm worried they'll wear the same way my 60i's did. Anyone have any recommendation for open balanced headphones around that price or should I bite the bullet with the SR225i's?

Mad Lupine fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 7, 2013

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Exercise headphones: After having several inexpensive pairs of active/sport type headphones poo poo the bed on me, I decided to get myself a pair of Bose SEI2i earbuds, and so far I love them. They stay in while running, rowing and weight lifting so far. I use them with either my iPhone 5 or my Nano. They sound pretty good, and they don't completely seal, which is something I've found can suck when you sweat a lot. Also it lets you hear enough outside noise if you were running outdoors or something. I haven't tested the mic at all though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Mad Lupine posted:

Budget - ~$200 CDN (if that matters)
Source - Dedicated Soundcard
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full Size Super-aural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Grado 60i, Koss Porto-pro (enjoyed)
Preferred Music - Mostly Rock, Jazz, Prog, but I have an eclectic taste of music so anything goes.

Hey guys, my Grado 60i's are finally biting the dust after 5 years. The wire started the split at the base of the cans and at the Y intersection. I'm willing to upgrade to the SR225i's but I'm worried they'll wear the same way my 60i's did. Anyone have any recommendation for open balanced headphones around that price or should I bite the bullet with the SR225i's?

5 years is a good long time! You have three options: learn to solder and make a new cable, purchase the SR225i, purchase the Audio Technica Ad900x. I see you want Supra-aural, which eliminates the Ad900x, any reason why?

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Midorka posted:

5 years is a good long time! You have three options: learn to solder and make a new cable, purchase the SR225i, purchase the Audio Technica Ad900x. I see you want Supra-aural, which eliminates the Ad900x, any reason why?

Only real reason is that the 60's are supra-aural. Also I'll be using these at home primarily so the leakage isn't really a problem for me. Also I can't really find a place to test out the Ad900x :canada: so I'd be in the dark, more or less. Are the that much better in terms of sound quality?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I owned the SR80i and the Ad900 side by side. I couldn't think of anything the SR80i did better than the Ad900 except come off more aggressive. The Ad900 has better lows, better instrument separation, more clear mids, more clear highs, a much wider sound stage and excellent comfort. I still have my SR80i, they're good headphones, but I only use them when I want my ears assaulted.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Midorka posted:

I owned the SR80i and the Ad900 side by side. I couldn't think of anything the SR80i did better than the Ad900 except come off more aggressive. The Ad900 has better lows, better instrument separation, more clear mids, more clear highs, a much wider sound stage and excellent comfort. I still have my SR80i, they're good headphones, but I only use them when I want my ears assaulted.

Are the 80s and 225s that comparable? I really want to give the ad900s a shot but with this much on money on the line, and without being able to test them, I'm probably getting the 225s.

Also I know 5 years is really good for headphones as the ones I had before didn't last me half a year. My expectations were higher with these because a review I read said it lasted them 10. I guess I should take that with grain of salt; they probably weren't using them as often as I was mine.

Thanks Midorka!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I have what, after some research, turns out to be a Plantronics Gamecon 1. It's old as heck but it's free and sounds good.
My question is, how good is it compared to newer sets? If I knew there was a large increase in quality I would be willing to buy something new.
Something new would pref. be the same sort of design (Over ear, just used at home.)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

After reading someone mention them in this thread I went and got the Monster Turbine Pros. Have to say, I'm very impressed. Lots of choices of ear tips, ensuring a comfortable fit. The bass sounds fantastic, but doesn't overwhelm. I've heard some details in songs I've not heard before. I'm coming from Beats Solo HD, and I'm happy with them. So if you're on the fence, I'd say try them out.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
I just got some HD650 Sennheisers at a yard sale for $50. The old lady told me her grandson owned them and shes going through his room after he passed (suicide). I'm worried they may be cursed though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So since the Velodyne vPulse IEMs are so badass, my woman decided to get a pair from Amazon too. She wanted pink which came from a different seller but again on Amazon.

Have a look:

Real is on left, faux on right. And yeah they sound like loving poo poo. Amazon was great and refunded me immediately.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Sean_Miller posted:

I just got some HD650 Sennheisers at a yard sale for $50. The old lady told me her grandson owned them and shes going through his room after he passed (suicide). I'm worried they may be cursed though.

All the better to own then. Trip report on any spirits that try and contact you through them.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
One of the two pronged attachments on the left side do not like to stay put though. If I used them as everyday walk arounds they would piss me off the amount that poo poo falls out every 30mins. Any advice?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Sean_Miller posted:

One of the two pronged attachments on the left side do not like to stay put though. If I used them as everyday walk arounds they would piss me off the amount that poo poo falls out every 30mins. Any advice?

You might try stuffing a piece of paper in the hole along with the plug, you might try bending the prongs a bit to make some friction or there's always a new cable from Senn.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Or just tape it on with a bit of duct tape. Bending the prongs probably isn't a wonderful idea

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Mad Lupine posted:

Are the 80s and 225s that comparable? I really want to give the ad900s a shot but with this much on money on the line, and without being able to test them, I'm probably getting the 225s.

Also I know 5 years is really good for headphones as the ones I had before didn't last me half a year. My expectations were higher with these because a review I read said it lasted them 10. I guess I should take that with grain of salt; they probably weren't using them as often as I was mine.

Thanks Midorka!

I think the SR80i sound special, it's as if the sound is being forced into your ear harshly, but in a good way. It's like a punk bands music, there's no finesse, it's just raw. The Sr225i try to be a more balanced headphone and come off as an inferior version to the AD900 in every way, in my opinion. I owned the SR225i for a month then sold them. I really tried to like them, but they just stink. Looking at the [url=http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=373&graphID[]=353&scale=30]graph for the two[/url] they are about identical. This makes sense since they use the same drivers, so I think the only difference is the pads they provide which on the SR225i put your ears further from the drivers.

My suggestion is to buy the pads used on the SR225i if you want to try that sound, since I'm pretty sure that's the only difference. If you want something better, I suggest the Audio Technica Ad900, or Ad900x.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
Do I need to show proof of purchase with Sennheiser if I go that route? Are they a good enough company to replace it sight unseen? The only company I've had such luck with was Camelbak.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Mad Lupine posted:

Thanks Midorka!

I think the 225s sound great, but that's only really in comparison to Sennheiser's similarly priced options and the rest of the Grado line. The 225s are where you really start to have a full sound, and they're a substantial boost in quality over the 125s. The major downside for all of the Grados beyond the 80 (or whichever ones use the different ear cups that aren't as cushy) is the comfort, but when I demoed a bunch of headphones at a local shop the sound quality won out, for me. If you liked the 80s, you could always get a pair of the 125s and see - there's definitely a major increase in sound quality there, and it's less money to risk.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

The 125 are the least popular of the line, it'd be less of a risk to buy the 225 used and re-sell them for the same price than buy the 125 which would sit on the used forums for a long time if he wanted to sell.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
drat I wish I waited a bit longer. I bit the bullet and bought the 225s. I'm liking the sound so far, but the comfort is an issue with these pads. I'm going to try them with the 60s pads and if the comfort is still an issue, I'll sell and try out the ad900. I really appreciate your input everyone. I'll let you know how everything goes.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sean_Miller posted:

Do I need to show proof of purchase with Sennheiser if I go that route? Are they a good enough company to replace it sight unseen? The only company I've had such luck with was Camelbak.

They'll sell you a cable, no problem. They don't really do free replacements on wear items no matter where you got them.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Mad Lupine posted:

drat I wish I waited a bit longer. I bit the bullet and bought the 225s. I'm liking the sound so far, but the comfort is an issue with these pads. I'm going to try them with the 60s pads and if the comfort is still an issue, I'll sell and try out the ad900. I really appreciate your input everyone. I'll let you know how everything goes.

The pads do break in and get more comfortable. My 325s were very uncomfortable at first, but now they're fine.

Make sure to sit the top of the ear cup over your ears with the fit extended all the way then close it down to fit if you aren't already.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Howdy goons.

I have a pair of Shure SRH940 and the hinges on them are beginning to crack, as they always will on this model since the plastic is made outta crap.
So I figured I'd just get a different headband that fits and modify the fuckers.
Any idea where I can buy spare/no-name headbands/yokes?
I can't for the life of me find decent shops that sell any, preferably "beyerdynamic custom one pro" ones.

Here's an example of what I mean:

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/797020/width/350/height/700/flags/LL
http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/797021/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

So, should I get beats? I mean, the OP doesn't really say, and I can get the new Tour 2.0 for $30 off.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Protons posted:

So, should I get beats? I mean, the OP doesn't really say, and I can get the new Tour 2.0 for $30 off.

Well if that is what you want to subject your ears too...Thanks for a reminder to update the OP.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Midorka posted:

Well if that is what you want to subject your ears too...Thanks for a reminder to update the OP.

I believe you are not a fan of Beats. The ones I had sounded great when I had them (before the right bud poo poo the bed after 9 days of ownership.) The MEElectronics I have are nice, but something about the tips will *not* stay sealed properly in my left ear. I'm ready to take a potato peeler to my ear canal to give it an even shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Do you all wear big headphones in public? I may be taking a job soon which will have me commuting via train. I know it comes down to 'don't worry about what others think', but I do worry about looking like 'that guy'. If nothing else Beats headphones have gotten people used to seeing bigger headphones and that's a good thing, but these are ATH-M50, which are a little larger and much less stylish.