Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
It will likely occur with other headphones too then. You may want to buy a USB dac. I think the apple dongle is the cheapest one. Some others in the thread should be able to give better advice on what to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Doesn't Topping make something relatively good and cheap? Might be available out there.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

can we all just agree to stop saying "flat" and "neutral" because those mean totally different things depending on what compensation curve you're talking about and there's literally no such thing as a "neutral reference" ideal curve. diffuse field and harman don't exist because they're the "perfect most accurate tuning" they exist as a reference point for comparing frequency graphs, that's it. Harman only exists because literally nobody sticks to diffuse field and graphs just make more sense when everything doesn't look like the sub-bass is boosted off the charts.

e: yeah the Elegia's going for $399 on adorama right now and i'm having a very hard time with that fact.

I see $690?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I've got the Evolve 75. I think it fits the bill though be aware true bluetooth is supposedly not as good. It uses a dongle for your pc. Otherwise it's a fantastic headset. I am literally on the phone all day running projects and I've been very happy with it.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Impromptu Flip posted:

Thanks, that's spot on. I've ordered a pair. What does "true bluetooth" mean? I.e. the bluetooth I would get going directly to the computer rather than the dongle?

Ya. I haven't tried it yet but know it can pair to both your phone and your PC. But we use soft phones through our laptops so I just leave it hooked up all the time via the dongle. It occasionally bugs out such that I can't end/accept calls from the headset but I bet that's more a function of lovely Jabber software than the headset. Honestly it's the best headset I've ever used though.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

redeyes posted:

Yeah I adore my tube amp. Tossed some NOS 1957 12au7 in there. This isn't about nailing the perfect no distortion highest SNR ever. It's about gooey drippy tube tone.

Put it like this. I have a speaker setup. Recently added a tube preamp I can switch in and out of the signal path. Guess which my entire family enjoys more. The tube tone.

How do you do that? Some kind of switch?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

you ate my cat posted:

Does anyone have any direct experience with the Jabra Evolve2 65 headset? I'm looking to upgrade from my work-provided single-ear wireless headset to something that covers both ears, does reasonable noise reduction, can stream music from my phone and connect to the computer for calls, can cleanly switch between those two sources, and has decent Teams support. It looks like a good option, but it's pricey enough that I don't want to buy it sight-unseen.

Alternately, any other suggestions for office-oriented headsets that meet the above? I don't need active noise cancellation, but decent passive isolation would be nice.

I have the 75. I'm very happy with it. On calls all day. I haven't used it for switching back and forth but it supposedly can do it. Just be aware you need to use the dongle on your PC for the best call quality.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

uXs posted:

Anybody? Bueller? ...

For comfort and no need for isolation, you should go with a pair of open headphones.

I've found the sennheiser 598s to be extremely comfortable. The 650s are much better sound quality but not quite as comfortable as the clamping is a bit stronger. They're still quite comfortable though.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Any impressions of the new Grado true wireless IEMs?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Well have I got news for you!

Which is why I was considering their wireless IEMs but my hunch is they are just rebranding some cheap-o chinese IEMs and slapping their logo on. No way they are reproducing Grado open-ear sound with those.

Lowness 72 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 25, 2020

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Very much has to do with the headphones you're using. Which models are you talking about?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

MrMidnight posted:

Goon opinion on the JDS Labs Element II? Plan on using it w/ my PS5.

It's got alot of praise. JDS Labs stuff is great.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Do you push to talk? I bought a Shure mic similar to the yeti I like. Nice for when I want to play with speakers. Have to use push to talk though, which is fine since I've got a lot of background noise anyway.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Yuns posted:

Adorama had the ER4SR and XR for $139 so I couldn't resist picking up the SR. At that price I should have picked up both. I skipped the B&H deal on the Shure, I think it was $549 or $599 for the SE846 including the bluetooth module if you bought on Christmas eve.

I'm not ready to splurge on anything like the Sony IER-Z1R but I keep looking at the Moondrop Blessing 2 and S8, the Campfire Andromeda 2020 and the Thieaudio Monarch.

Wow! I paid $229 and thought that was a deal.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

ChazTurbo posted:

Need a comfortable usb headset for work. over eared and open back if possible.

How many hours will you be on the phone? Jabra makes excellent headsets but they can be $$$

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Spend the money on a Jabra.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I have a Valhalla 2. Reviews all say it doesn't have much of a tube sound. But doing a side by side between it and a Magni 2, there's a definite difference. It's a "warmer" sound where the peaks are softened. Hard to describe but the sound is kind of smoothed out a bit? Depending on what you're listening to, it can be nice. I'd really like to try a tube amp that people think is actually "gooey tube sound".

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I mean my HD650 is my favorite headphone

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Gotta get a pair of grados! Coolest kid on the block with those!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Peachfart posted:

Is there a similar version to these that include a headphone?

That is a headphone?

E: oh do you mean a microphone? Probably not unless they're bluetooth.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Oysters Autobio posted:

I have no idea what a sound signature is so I'm probably fine (edit: sorry, didn't mean to come off snarky, I just mean I'm not much of an audiophile), these are just for gaming and dumb internet videos, I'll barely be listening to music on them.

He means that he doesn't like the way they sound - probably for extended listening sessions.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I have a Valhalla 2 which I mean was a cool tube amp and all, but it would occasionally pick up this buzzing noise. I also would have some random issues with the Modi not being recognized by Windows or not outputting sound. I've just come to the conclusion that Schiit is nice for dipping your toes into "should I get a DAC/AMP?" but you should move on to JDS or something.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Also the HD6XX/650 is just a wonderful headphone. You can't go wrong with it.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I asked around about the IEMs here previously and the consensus was they are just rebranded chinese IEMs, maybe with some tweaking to give it more of a Grado sound. However, the overear model is probably real Grado. I'm real interested in them but not sure which of their models they are most like.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Are you on the phone/conf calls alot? Why not get a dedicated headset for the calls if you already have nice headphones?

I've got the Jabra wireless headset. It's fantastic for calls.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

siotle posted:

I tried out the er2xr and I liked them! However, I ran into a problem - both my phone and my laptop need to be at max volume in order to get a reasonable amount of volume from them. In particular, the bottom half of my phone's volume slider might as well not exist.
I don't really want to buy an amp, seeing as the entire point of getting a phone with a headphone jack was to avoid additional dangly bits. What are other options are there?
The er3xr is on deep discount on Amazon, and seem to be more sensitive than the er2xr. I'm not sure how much more sensitive they are, though.
There's some other IEMs I've heard things about, like the Moondrop Starfield and the Tin T2 Plus. Would they have enough isolation, for, say, an international plane flight?

That doesn't sound right. You sure you have them fully inserted? They should be pretty easy to power.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Impressions? My first gen set have garbage call (mic) quality - thinking of upgrading

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

I made a couple calls that were fine. Out of box, audio requires some adjustment though listening to music, this is on a S20 using Poweramp as the player, all set at default.

I'm a bit neurotic about charging and I dont usually leave stuff plugged in longer than it has to be, but I forgot myself and left the case plugged in yesterday. When I opened it up it only had 2/3 bars on the charge indicator, and after unplugging it and plugging it back in it began to charge the last section. Weird. Does it have some kinda anti-overcharge thing built in? I still have to play around with the head gesture controls as well.

My issue is people can hear themselves when they talk to me over the earbuds. No other Bluetooth on my phone does that. Irritating but otherwise I like em.

Debating if I go Klipsch again or try out Jabra. Just hate that you can't use the left on it's own (I'm aware they fixed in the newest model but it's getting mixed reviews)

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Get some Jabras my man.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
The advice I got previously which I think is spot on is: Jabra may not be the BEST sound quality, but all its other functionality is spot-on (Calls, buttons etc)

Jabra is pretty decent sound quality. Not the BEST but at the same time, with true wireless IEMs, you're probably out and about. My priority was functionality. How well does it pair, ease of use, ability to hear-through etc.

I like that Jabras are a semi open design. I like the comfort. I like the functionality. I got a pair of the 85ts a few months ago and bring them with me on my commute and am really happy with them.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
If you're gonna be running with them, maybe look at the 75 active? Otherwise I think you'll be happy with either the 75 or 85

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Why not just go with a headset that has a mute button? I'll continue to recommend the Jabra headsets. I have the Evolve 75. It's got both a mute button and you can flip the mic up and it auto mutes (and bring it down to unmute). It also has noise cancelling if you need that. I'm on calls literally all day and this headset has made WFH infinitely better.

The only downside is price. I think they run like $200 or so and have stock issues since everyone is buying them.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
There's always the over ear version of the Jabra - I think the 85?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

FistLips posted:

Jabra also has the Jabra Evolve2 85 which is the «office» version of the Elite 85. That one comes with a 2,4 GHz dongle and is supposed to be pretty good!

I've got the Evolve 75 and use the dongle. Works great.

One weird thing - the dongle does not like one of my laptop's usb ports. I sound like poo poo on the other end. I couldn't figure it out until it dawned on me one day that I had plugged it into the other USB port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Have you tried that trick where you clean out the little hole? I've seen that a few times where people had issues and just needed to clear the hole and they worked again.