Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Budget - Ideally I'm spending around $80, but I can go a bit higher (120 is probably a hard cap) if I'm going to see huge gains in comfort or quality.

Source - Primarily an Onkyo TX-108, maybe my Galaxy S4 sometimes but primarily the receiver.

Isolation Requirements - None really, even if I bring them to work it won't matter much.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear or nothing basically.

Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced would be ideal, I listen to a pretty wide range of stuff so all the noises are important.

Past Headphones - I've currently got a pair of HD280 Pros. They are fine but a little too tight on my noggin, and I'd prefer something a bit lighter. I also do not particularly like their cushioning. I have used HD555s and prefer their fit. Sound wise they are fine I guess, I don't have much to compare them to.

Preferred Music - I listen to almost everything. Loads of classical/jazz, doom, pop stuff, and a bunch of slow bass heavy southern rap stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

WugLyfe posted:

Do you mean flat frequency response (i.e. all sounds the same volume) or do you mean even tracking (all sounds come in each channel at the same volume as they do the other)? There isn't such a thing as "tonal balance" in audio despite its presence in the audiophile lexicon. It's purely marketing-speak.

I donno man, I copied that poo poo straight out of the OP:

"Preferred Tonal Balance - Would you prefer bass heavy headphones? Maybe one focused on vocals? Maybe balanced? Let us know."

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I ended up more flush than I expected so I went ahead and got the AKG K701s. The Quincy Jones ed. were cheaper than the base model 701s though and the cord, in spite of the fact that it is totally hideous, is removable which is great because I have broken so many of those things. Here's hoping they sound alright.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Just got the 701s from FedEx, these things sound great to my novice ears :). Thank you all for the help and I'm sorry if I started some kind of fight!