Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

I just ordered a pair of Shure SE215s, I'll let you all know how that goes. I had a pair of Etymotic ER-6is years ago and loved them but I'm looking for something a little more casual. I'm curious to see how the Shure's compare to my HD650s, AKG K702s and Denon D2000s. From what I've read, the Shures have a sound in the same vein of those headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

frozenpeas posted:

I don't want to be rude but I demoed the Shure 215s the other week and thought they sounded like warmed up balls....

...Edit, they get good reviews though, so who knows, maybe the pair I tested were worn out.

Ultimate Mango posted:

The 200 series Shure are a gateway drug.....

Somewhere between warmed up balls and drugs? :xcom:

They arrived today and overall I'm very pleased.

I can see where frozenpeas was coming from on the "warmed up balls" quote. They do lack a little bit of high end. Cymbals and some guitar notes aren't as in-you-face as they sound elsewhere, but it's not a big deal. I typically listen to variety of metal and rock, mostly on the heavier side, so the highs aren't missed so much. The amount of punch and detail the bass has is surprising. I know I sound like a giant audiophile when I say this, but overall they sound very "warm". They remind me a lot of when I had a tube headphone amplifier.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

So I have the HD650s and a good amp and DAC. Where do I go from here?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Xovaan posted:

Then get HD800's and then realize you need a better amp to power it so build a b22 :spergin:

It's inevitable :smithfrog:

What's the closed back equivalent of the HD650s? Similar quality, more bass.

skimothy milkerson fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 30, 2013

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Seconding this. HD 650's will change your life, and you can easily keep them for 10+ years.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Welmu posted:

Thinking of buying a Xonar Essence STX headphone amplifier sound card & Sennheiser HD 650 headphones as well as a ModMic for gaming, music, and eventually the Oculus Rift.

I can purchase all these for 500€. Thoughts?

Incredulous Dylan posted:

stuff

Great setup. The Dolby Headphone is truly amazing for gaming. As in getting accused of cheating good for the positional audio.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Schiit Vali and Modi 2 Uber. Very good. Buy them.

I've had a Little Dot MkIII paired with various DACs and I've been rolling with an Asus Xonar Essence One for a few years and this stack blows them both away.

skimothy milkerson fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

travisray2004 posted:

Get that it's not supposed to be a fashion piece of but can't help wanting something nice looking when spending more.

Listen to a pair of HD650s and then decided if you care about looks. Also you can't see them when they're on your head.