Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tynam
May 14, 2007
I'd recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-CKM500 based on your budget and listening preferences. Look up the reviews on it - it seems right up your alley.

Your iPod should be fine unless you actually begin hearing distortion/hissing. I've heard the classic iPods all had really decent DAC's to begin with, so you shouldn't have to worry about upgrading your player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tynam
May 14, 2007

the kawaiiest posted:

So I'm looking for some good headphones to use with my Macbook Air. Maybe you guys can help?

Budget - $100-ish
Source - Macbook Air, probably my iPhone too occasionally. But it's mostly for the laptop.
Isolation Requirements - none
Preferred Type of Headphone - over-ear or earbuds (no preference really, just nothing too huge)
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced
Past Headphones - I've only ever had really cheap headphones (like literally $10 earbuds) so...
Preferred Music - pop/electronic

e: I'm a fairly small woman and I like girly things so I would prefer something that doesn't look like it's going to turn into a giant robot and fight crime. I would also prefer one that isn't black, if at all possible. White would be really nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50WH-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B007GC4L7S/

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A700X-Headphones/dp/B000E9VKUQ

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-SR80i-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000G3LCQC/

Grado fits your budget but maybe not looks, unless you like the vintage design. The ATH-M50 fits everything but price, and the A700X is another solid option slightly above your price point. Another option would be the ATH-AD700 if you can find them cheap.

I highly recommend the ATH-M50WH overall.

tynam
May 14, 2007

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Can anyone comment on the differences between the FiiO E07K vs E17 regarding sound quality/features?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643547/fiio-andes-e07k-vs-fiio-e17-whats-the-difference-and-how-does-it-sway-the-amateur-audiophile

Basically same DAC, E17 has a slightly better amp and extra digital input options. Unless you've got headphones that are difficult to drive, go with the E07K and save yourself 50 bux.

Or if your source is your phone, consider waiting for the Fiio E18 which should be out next month. It was designed specifically for smart phones, but works like any other DAC+amp, has an improved DAC+amp than the E17 and should cost around 150 - around the price of a new E17. Comes with an OTG cable. Also looks pretty cool.

tynam
May 14, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

The Etymotics are supposed to be very flat and have the best isolation if you can take a deep insertion. Might be a little lacking in low end, but otherwise excellent and bang on your price point.

I really hated the ety's I owned for a few years - I could never enjoy the tiny bass out of them. I think for the sound sig terre packet is looking for, dynamics like the JVC HA-FXZ200 or ATH-CKS1000 would be perfect. After trying out both I stuck with the CKS1000s myself, not as thumpy as the FXZ200 but sounds cleaner, especially since I listen to pretty much every genre. I've also heard good things about the Sony xba-10/20/30 line, but never had a chance to listen to them myself.

kedo posted:

Reading through those posts again you're definitely right. Really I'm just looking for a headset that's able to provide the same sort of 3D acoustic environment I get from my 5.1 stereo system (which is not marketing speak, it's actually the number of channels as popculturereference suggests).

Maybe this is possible with my current stereo headphones and just a more complex sound card or whatever on my PC, but I'm not entirely sure where to start, hence the reason why I'm falling back on asking for "a 5.1 headset." It sounds more like I might need to invest in a sound card and maybe a nicer stereo headset...?

I've shopped for this recently myself and it was a huge headache. I eventually gave up on getting one that worked with everything and just picked up the Logitech G930 when it went on sale for my PC. It doesn't require a dedicated soundcard since it uses its own, wireless which was an absolute criteria, and relatively cheap compared to a monster like the Astro A50. It's not fantastic for music, but the surround sound effect is pretty fun in general.

tynam
May 14, 2007

Losoall posted:

Hello, I'll mention this now before I get into details; I'm not much into knowing about Headphones, in the past I'd just pick up ones that appear comfortable and affordable, I don't have a strong sense in quality (basically just recognizing when a headset is horrible or decent, beyond that I wouldn't focus on). Right now, I am planning on buying a new Ipod and causal headphones just for wearing in public and on trips.

Budget: I can go up to around $330, literally anything beyond that will be out of my price range (however, if the taxes pushes the main price beyond $330, i could manage that).
Source: As mentioned, an Ipod; more speficically, an Ipod Nano, I was a bit determined to get wireless headphones to use alongside the ipod.
Isolation Requirements: Closed/a lot of isolation
Preferred Type of Headphone: I was looking into getting Supa-Aural, I suppose I could go with Circumaural if they aren't monsterous-looking.
Preferred Tonal Balance: This is somewhat what I was talking about with not having a strong sense of quality, I'm not sure what i'd want, possibly balanced. a slight leniency on bass or vocals. Hell, i probably wouldn't notice for the most part.

Why are you spending so much money on headphones when you're not even sure of the difference that the value can make? I'd say all you need is ~100 bucks or so to avoid the crap, 300+ is going into the territory of actually appreciating the more subtle differences.

If you're not averse to using IEM's, just pick something from this list that you think is nice. The review scores are pretty spot on, and the portability factor and isolation works perfectly with an iPod Nano.

If you're not a fan of IEM's, try this list instead for portable headphones.

At any rate, we can't really offer you much help since you're not even sure yourself what you want. Just read the reviews for each of the headphones/IEM's from the links and go from there. If you're set on wireless, you'll really be sacrificing sound quality for convenience - at that point you can just go with whatever the most popular brand is.