Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Anti-Hero posted:

I have a pair of Sennheiser 558s that I use at home for music listening and gaming. I love them. I would love to get a second pair for my office at work. At $150/pair, and my lack of a headphone amp at the office (and listening to Pandora), makes me think a cheaper headset would perform just as well for a work environment.

Noise bleed is a not a concern, as I have my own office with a door. However, some form of noise cancelling provided by supra-aural or circum-aural is a must as I want to filter out the lower level general office drone (computers, printers, etc.). Earbuds are out as I previously had some Shure E2Cs that I couldn't wear for more than an hour at a time due to comfort issues.

Anyone have a recommendation?

I'm a big Grado fan. The SR60i is ~70 bucks and the 80i is about $100 (the price difference either gets you markedly better high/low performance or nothing noticeable, depending on who you ask). Both headphones are on the beefy side in terms of construction and cable, which I like for regular desktop use. Both models perform absolutely fine without amplification, though they readily improve with it- making them pretty versatile.

I'd also look at the Koss Porta-Pro, although I find them to be on the fragile/flimsy side. A lot of people also find them uncomfortable, though I personally haven't had any issues. They usually go for around $40, but I've seen them at ~50% off on Amazon before- at which they're an absolute steal for the level of sound quality you get (I was afraid of breaking them so I simply bought two when they were reduced).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

My concern with the Grados is they are on-ear headphones. I'd be concerned about isolating outside noises from my office, like coworkers who have no idea that the speakerphone is a poor substitute for the handset.

I thought you said that isolation wasn't the be-all/end-all because you've got your own office.

I have a pair of 80i that I use at home and I find them to be just isolating enough for the listener. Sound bleeding out is way more of an issue than sound getting in, IMO.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Midorka posted:

Can openers.

There's no way these aren't complete bullshit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So it seems like the Magni/Asgard are well-liked. How is the Valhalla? Given that it's been out for a while, is it probably going to be updated soon? I'm interested in getting a tube amp in the future (yeah, I know) and this one's on my radar.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Any consensus on the Sennheiser Momentum series yet (both the around-ear and on-ear models)? On the one hand, these kind of blatantly look like the company decided to churn out some me-too "premium" headphones that deal mainly in looks rather than sound, but on the other- Sennheiser is a legit headphone company and these things are pretty.

Based on the promo it seems like these are strongly being marketed for mobile devices (inline remote, bendy plug, kevlar cable, etc)- not that I'd ever wear some ~$300 cans on the bus- so I take it that they're certainly not going to be the best bang-for-buck when it comes to home listening, right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

jink posted:

Check out the Inner Fidelity review of them:

Well poo poo. Guess I'd better start saving....

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Gentlemen, I need a little help grabbing some new headphones

Budget - $50? (I can squeeze a bit more out if necessary)
Source - PC for music during work, 3DS and phone during trips\waiting
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - none
Past Headphones - I'm using the current model of Apple headphones right now and they're fine but recently broken. I have a pair of IEMs that came with my Galaxy S4 but would prefer better quality stuff. The IEMs I tried were a bit noisy as I wasn't using both ears but that's not that much of an issue
Preferred Music - Metal\Pop\Electronic

If you're ok with going with something other than IEMs, then maybe a set of Koss PortaPros? That's assuming that your isolation requirements are really "none."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Generally, I'm ok with outside noise when I'm doing the things I'd use these for. I'll look at the Koss PortaPros.

The reason I bring 'em up is because they're arguably one of the best-sounding sets of headphones available for under $50. The lifetime no-questions-asked warranty's fantastic too, which is great because they're just a smidge on the fragile side. And as I said before, isolation is not really something they do- but God, do they sound a lot more expensive than they cost.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 26, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Did you mean @JP Money? I was about to respond to his post with that very same suggestion.

Also, I take it that the main difference between the ATH-A900x and AD900x is just closed-vs.-open, right? One's not necessarily going to be totally "better" than the other, but more that each has its specific strengths relative to the other and largely dependent on the listening environment. Or am I just off-base here?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Where can I buy nice, fancy-looking RCA cables without paying for $100 "interconnects?" The Monoprice "premium" cables have way more negative reviews than I'm used to seeing there.

Really? Where are you getting that? I just popped on their website and the many reviews seemed overwhelmingly 5-star. I can't imagine they'd be particularly bad, given that cables are Monoprice's bread and butter. What do you want to use them for?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 17, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Does anybody have any experience with Sennheiser factory refurbs? My dad's been looking at getting a set of Momentums and checked out the "outlet store" on the company website- they've got them in "like new" condition for $70 off the normal price ($280 vs $350).

Head-Fi forums postings seem to suggest everything from "yeah, they're just as good as new" to "call Sennheiser and ask them about their refurbishment process." I figured I'd ask here first.

Also- would they be good headphones to fly with? Reviews seem to peg their isolation as "only ok," so I figure they won't beat a good set of IEMs in that department, but are they more usable for travel than, say, your average pair of inexpensive headphones/earbuds?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 17, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I figured that the Momentums wouldn't match the isolation of some solid IEMs with good tips- I acknowledged that in my initial post.

I was just wondering if they'd hold their own and do a decent enough job on a plane/car/train/bus ride. My dad wants to use these as his main "general purpose" headphones for work/home and travel. He's not a huge fan of earbuds/IEMs but he does a fair amount of traveling and so I wanted to know if these would do an adequate job.

My main concern is that he generally uses some pretty crappy headphones to travel with right now and so he's gotta turn his iPod way up to drown out the background noise, which is obviously very bad. If these will allow him to keep the volume at reasonable levels, even if the isolation isn't totally seamless, then it's a win in my book.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I'm either getting the ATH-AD700's or the ATH M50's.

Instead of the AD700, I'd go for the AD700X. They're the upgraded version and the bass is supposed to be a tad better. It's only a ~$10 difference between the two on Amazon.

Or- if you can swing an extra $100, the AD900X's are a notable step up from both of them.

The M50's are solid but I'd only really use them on the go or as monitors/guitar amp output, given the alternative choices for at-home listening.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Oh drat dude, Amazon has the 700x's for cheaper than the regular 700's it looks like, thanks for letting me know about those. The 900's might be affordable too, I'll look into them.

If you're considering AD900's, definitely make sure you're looking at the 900x's and not the older version. Generally speaking, the 'x' versions of Audio Technica's open-back phones are appreciably improved- but that's particularly noticeable in the 900's.

The AD900's are widely celebrated ~except~ for their somewhat weak bass. The 900x's pretty much took care of that problem.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

I am not really interested in going USB, as I have no backpanel USB unoccupied. My motherboard does have optical out, but I am mostly unfamiliar with that route.

The reason people are asking about USB-out is because it sounds like an external DAC/Amp combo might be better/easier for your needs than buying a new soundcard. Something like Midorka's Schiit Magni/Modi stack would run you about $200 USD.

There are optical options that should work the same as USB ones for the same cost (or even much less), assuming that the output from your motherboard is good.

Replace the Modi DAC with an optical (and much much cheaper) FiiO D3 (edit: make sure it's the newest D03k "Taishan" version, which apparently doesn't have any of the problems the older versions had) and run it to the Magni, and you should have quite a solid and attractive little setup.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 21, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Does anyone have any recommendations for a short 3.5mm headphone plug extender/adapter that'll let me use plugs thicker than the one on Apple's EarPods (basically everything) without forcing me to remove my iPhone bumper case?

I've seen a bunch of cheap ones on Amazon but the reviews have all been disconcertingly mixed-to-negative.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

Hello thread. I've been looking for a pair of headphones and feel like I'm groping around in the dark, so I figured I'd ask here.

Budget: appprox £200/$300
Source: iPod Classsic playing CD-ripped AIFF files -> Fiio E17 -> Headphones
Isolation Requirements: not strictly necessary.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full size, circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance: Ideally balanced, not bass heavy.
Past Headphones: Sennheiser HD 485, House of Marley Destiny
Preferred Music: Classical, Jazz, Folk.

Currently I have the House of Marley Destinys and I love them for listening to Rock/Jungle/Metal etc as they are pretty bass heavy as you can probably imagine. I used to love the HD485s too until they gave up the ghost a little while ago.

I'm after something that has clarity and detail, a big wide sound and that is nicely balanced. Essentially something where I'd feel like I was at concert really.

They don't have to be open (though I appreciate that open headphones may give the sort of sound I'm looking for). As I have a fairly large head I'd like to avoid the AKG 701-style headband thing, as I've found in the past that they don't fit me so well.

Somebody had suggested I get the Lindy HF-100 (aka Fischer Audio fa-003/Brainwavz HM5), so I thought I should mention that for consideration.

Any help you can give would be gratefully received, so thank you in advance!

Ummm...ATH-AD900x?

Amazon's got them for ~$220 and they've got flappy wings instead of the 701's strap.

Edit: And now I'm curious to know what people here think of the AD900x vs the Q701/K701. From the 15 minutes of googling I just did, there looks to be a decent amount of discussion online, but most of it is crap. I need to figure out which fancy people phones to finally get myself for Christmas.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 25, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

Those would be ideal but for some stupid reason they're £323 ($522!) on amazon.co.uk

I'm leaning towards the AKG K550 at the moment.

Ummm, then buy them from the US store (or one of the fifty billion independent sellers listed with it) and just pay the shipping to the UK? Some of the sellers are listing them for under $200 before shipping.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Has anyone compared the ATH-AD900x and AKG Q701?

I've been able to try out the AD900x and I like them a whole lot (I was getting ready to buy a pair next week) but the Q701s have a few features that would potentially make them a better choice (detachable cords, an included 20-ft cord, possibly more comfortable?, they look better) and some features that could make them worse (possibly less bass?, harder to drive- which shouldn't be a problem as these are probably never gonna get connected directly to a portable device). Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a place where I can A/B them in person, or even try out the Q701 for that matter. AFAIK, they should be more or less the same soundwise, but I'm stupid enough to get really into figuring out which is truly "best" before pulling the trigger.

The internet has been pretty useless in terms of figuring this out, which sucks because I'd really like to order something soon. The prices are also nearly identical on Amazon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stupid Decisions posted:

Thanks for any help.

I don't know about the on-ear version, but the standard Momentums (over-ear) are very, very highly regarded and they're designed to be used with portable devices and low-power headphone jacks.

If you don't like IEMs and you've got the spending money, they're probably one of the best long-distance commute/general purpose headphones on the market, especially when you consider how good they look.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

You're not using calibrated headphones like an audiologist would test with. Who knows how much sound yours are actually producing above 18k.

This. If you did the test with iPhone earbuds or something similar then I'd be tempted to take the results with many, many grains of salt.

Also, losing the top frequencies often has less to do with mechanical hearing loss and more to do with aging and your ears naturally changing as you get older- particularly if you're over 25. Remember those "under-18 only" ringtones that got infamous a couple of years ago?

That isn't to say that you haven't experienced some appreciable degree of hearing loss thanks to your music listening habits. I know I have, and it's why I await our future of stem cell-based regenerative medicine with open arms/wallet :allears: .

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

drk posted:

Preferred Music Electronic, Hip Hop, Yacht Rock. Will also be used for a decent amount of movie watching, and a little gaming.

Anything major I'm missing? Headphone reviews are a little hard to navigate.

I really, really like my Audio Technica ATH-M50's. They're pretty much bulletproof, AFAIK, and they're decently semi-portable- which also makes them good for traveling (I would never take a pair of A700x outside my house) and bed/couch use where bigger headphones might get annoying and cumbersome.

They don't need an amp to sound good and their sound quality keeps them competitive with my fancier (and more expensive) open cans.

This might be heretical, but I'd probably recommend them over the A700/A700x because of their versatility. I don't think their sound quality is significantly worse either. If you find yourself getting into the hobby and looking to upgrade your 'phones in the future, then the A900/900x or higher are gonna give you a way better jump in quality for the money- and you'll still probably find a ton of uses for the M50's. But a lot of people also get the M50's and never feel the need to upgrade. They're like the BMW M3 of headphones.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 11, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pr0phecy posted:

What is the preferred amp for the AKG Q701's? I'm seeing the E9 and O2 being thrown around as the two best, the E9 for bass, the O2 for more of the same transparent, cold, dead sound.

As WugLyfe said, anything that provides the power. Any "this amp gives more bass" and "this amp is more transparent" talk you hear is gonna be 95% audiophile mumbo-jumbo when you're talking about solid-state stuff, particularly at this price point.

More power gives you more headroom, which can give you better dynamics (which equals better highs and lows), but that's as far as amp coloration really goes unless you're getting into tubes or hybrids or other fancy jazz. And even then, I'd take every flowery opinion with liberal handfuls of salt.

FWIW, I've heard great things about the Schiit Magni with the Q701, and it's cheaper and looks way better than the two amps you mentioned.

And on that subject- I've got my own question about amping the Q701's.

I have a pair that I've been using to listen to my turntables, and I wanna be sure that I'm driving them properly (if not power-wise, then with regards to impedance). I have two stereo setups that I use equally:

1) Bedroom- a circa-1990 Nakamichi 'Receiver 2' (55 WPC at 8 ohms for speakers) that has a headphone rated output of 129 mW at 40 ohms.

2) Living room- Yamaha CR-2040 receiver from 1979 (120 WPC at 8 ohms for speakers). I've been poring over the schematics and service/retail manuals but I haven't been able to figure out what the rated output for headphones is. The receiver has two 1/4" jacks ("Headphone A" & "Headphone B") which appear to be just another speaker output with a 220 Ohm resistor in series (or was it 120 Ohm?).

As far as I'm aware, the Yamaha has no problem driving the Q701's at any volume (although I'm concerned about impedance) and it's probably got enough power to blow them up if I wanted to try. I can definitely notice the differences between using it with the 701's and using a different power source.

The output from the Nakamichi, on the other hand, sounds indistinguishable to me from driving the Q701's directly from my MacBook Air. That seems wrong to me given that it's running them from the main amp, but I suppose it isn't following the 1/8 impedance rule (unless it is- someone told me that the "129 mW at 40 ohms" doesn't mean its output impedance is only 40 ohms).

I'm debating picking up a Magni at some point and running it from the Nak's tape-out, but I'm not sure if this is worth doing or if it's all in my head and I'm turning into one of those Head-Fi'ers who swear that they need 10 different amps for different phones. All I want to do is listen to my LPs in bed at the best possible quality and without bugging my roommate (and maybe for an engineer to explain electronics to my idiot biologist brain).

Are my amps good? Should I plug a headphone amp into my Nak receiver? I've been asking around online for the last 2 weeks and have even stopped by a specialty headphone shop and nobody's been able to give me a straight answer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Anyone have experience with the Schitt(y?) amps/dac? Just scored a GREAT deal on the Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm pro model (150usd shipped!) and I have a fiio e07 dac/amp now.

but I'm thinking with 250ohm impedance a dedicated amp might be a good idea.

amp: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CICPMA6/
cans: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UB9CQ/ (they're still on sale btw, 184usd as of right now)

I'm upgrading from the ath-m50s - they're great and all, but they get really harsh at high volumes, especially in the highs. Bass is nice, but not very distinct. Also they're not very comfortable to wear all day. The headband is hard, earpads are like ugh. I was gonna go for the AKG k701 but everyone said the headband sucked and also I got the Beyerdynamics for HALF THE PRICE I CANNOT EXPRESS THAT ENOUGH OMG.

edit: these also will be my first open headphones!

The consensus around here is that Schiit makes really good...headphone amps.

Keep in mind that the Beyers are gonna need a fairly powerful amp- I might be wrong, but a $100 Magni may not cut it. I think the Asgard 2 would probably work well but you might have to look at the Lyr (which is $450) or higher.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I have the B&W P5s and to me they sound very colored. Sure they're punchy but for the price they are muddy :(

I at this time can't justify that cost for an amp alone :( so you don't think they make decent DACs?

Oh yeah, sorry- they make great DACs too. As far as I'm aware, every product Schiit makes is very, very good- probably on par with any of the "best" within their price point.

Also, take my previous advice with a major grain of salt. I don't know a ton about Beyers, but all I've heard is that they're on the power-hungry side. For all I know, a Magni + Modi stack might work totally fine. If I were you, I'd wait for someone like Midorka to respond and/or dig around on Head-Fi for information. The manufacturers you're asking about aren't exactly unpopular within the hobby so there's bound to be a lot out there.

Just one more note- what exactly do you mean by "DAC?" Are you referring to a pure DAC (digital-to-analog converter) or a combined DAC/headphone amp deal like the Audioengine D1 or O2/ODAC? You won't be able to run a set of headphones directly off of the former without some kind of amplification.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I have those cans as well as a pair of M50s. You'll absolutely want an amp for the Q701s.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ryan_woody posted:

I see some reviews complaining about the relative lack of bass; will that be solved with the amp? I've never amped a pair of headphones before.

A bit (the amp will definitely help the dynamics) but don't expect the Q701 to ever bump particularly hard. The bass (or lack thereof) is comparable to other open headphones within that price range like the AD900X. Open cans like that generally tend to have weaker bass in exchange for stuff like airier mids and highs, "wider" soundstage, and the perception of better instrument separation. To use an analogy I like- if closed cans are like a club, then open ones are like an outdoor concert. Both have different strengths and weaknesses.

I like using my Q701's to listen to my jazz, classical, and indie LP's and sometimes ambient or low key electronic stuff. When I want stronger bass I'll use the M50's. At some point I'm going to buy some fancier "bassy" headphones but I just bought the Q701's a couple of weeks ago.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Maybe if you have huge ears they're not?

Yeah, they're pretty much circumaural for me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I saw that deal! If I hadn't just bought my Beyerdynamics and a new amp I'd have jumped on it. Also I'm really thinking about getting that Sony SmartWatch 2 in conjuction with my helmet bluetooth intercom for ultimate motorcycle swagger.

Don't. It's pretty much a given at this point that Apple and Google are both working on their own versions of a smartwatch for release at some point in the near future. You can bet money that either of them is gonna be a way better product than the Sony.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Well Samsung released theirs and it's pretty feature-packed, but it's also HUGE! I have small wrists so it's even worse. Also you can bet your rear end those versions are going to be much more expensive, especially the Apple. Though I bet they'd have the best design. I really only need something small/sleek that I can wear when I'm on my bike to see who is calling me, or to be able to read a text at a stoplight etc.

Yeah, but Samsung's was half-baked garbage that was rushed out, so I wouldn't use that as an indication for what the future holds. And unless it were 2007, I don't think Apple's would be "way more expensive." I mean, within the world of tablets/phones, Apple's prices are pretty much competitive with everyone else's.

Anyway, have you looked at the Pebble smartwatch? That one seems to do everything you want, while being sleek/small, and it costs $150.

Also, this is kinda turning into a derail, so all I'm gonna say about it is that it's apparently pretty good.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

It depends on how cheap you wanna go, but sealing is probably the easiest part of the affair with IEMs. Hell, a $15 pair of Meelectronic M6 will seal fantastically well if you use the right tips. I have a set of M6Ps (M6 with an inline mic/remote- $25 on Amazon) that I used last week while I was helping my dad with yardwork. I used the triple-flange tips they came with and I was able to comfortably keep my iPhone at ~50% volume while using a leaf blower.

The sound quality on the M6 is only ok (I'd rank it a little lower than the Apple Earpods that debuted with the iPhone 5), but that might be fine if you're looking for some cheap "travel only" 'phones.

And if IEMs are too uncomfortable, there are plenty of over-ear options too that don't require any gimmicky active noise-cancelling biz. The Audio Technica M-50 (~$140 on Amazon) sound fantastic for the price (way better than any of the overpriced crap Bose makes), fold up, are built like tanks, and provide more than enough passive isolation for a plane/car/bus ride.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

the posted:

I need some replacement running headphones. These are on sale for $9.99. I figure you can't go wrong for :tenbux:, but I didn't know if anyone had any input. Thanks!

The M6 are fantastic for what they are/their usual price point, and they're a steal at <$10. They've appeared in this thread a couple of times, always with praise.

I have the M6P (the version with the inline mic/remote) and I love them as beater earbuds with isolation. They're a bit below the Apple EarPods (the ones that debuted with the iPhone 5) sound-wise- so don't expect anything fantastic on that front- but they isolate like much much more expensive IEMs with the right tips.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Elentor posted:

Today I dreamed I had a HD800. I haven't bought a headphone in a long, long while. It's the sign.

I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven, when I awoke I spent that on some headphones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Midorka posted:

Then they have a 3.5mm plug on both sides. You're supposed to use the left for entry while the right is for linking the headphones together. Never mind the fact that me linking my headphones to another person's headphones would be incredibly awkward and uncomfortable for any practical use. Never mind the fact that there are no manuals that explain this, I had to figure it from a picture. The real fact of the matter is, why would Monster expect anyone to have someone buy these and then recommend these to their friend, let alone have a friend who they would want to be so close to that they'd walk hand in hand while enjoying the same music, but ignoring any sort of conversation? Yes Monster, I want to by your $300 headphones that are made for those who have hugely wide heads, so that my girlfriend can buy the same pair and then link to me so I can share my tunes with her while I sit next to her and not conversate with her. Let's sit in silence with our headphones linked and enjoy the music together. Hell maybe my friend has the same headphones, yeah what we want to do is sit here listening to music together, but separate.

I don't question the rest of your review nor that this might be confusingly implemented, but the idea behind this doesn't seem all that weird to me.

How is this any different in function from using a headphone splitter (aside from the fact that the other person would have to be plugged into your head)?

Actually, now that I'm considering the logistics of someone plugging a set of headphones into the earcup of another person's headphones, the intended setup does seem pretty pants.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

shymog posted:

It's a shame because appeasing the wife means keeping only one pair. :cry:

Having one set of phones within a given "tier" or price bracket is generally a good idea because I'd much rather have multiple headphones that each have their own niches and uses than two phones that do 95% the same thing but are marginally better in different ways (this is barring stuff like the differences between bass heavy or closed phones and "airy" or open phones that are noticeably better with different genres of music and different listening environments).

At the same time, there's something to be said for occasionally going "up yours, wife" and doing what you'd like. It's not like either of the headphones are particularly expensive anyway.

Like, I definitely appreciate cost consciousness and sticking to budgets and all that, but this thread is just full of people (myself included) agonizing about poo poo all the time. This hobby's supposed to be about fun and escaping life's headaches, not giving yourself more poo poo to stress over. Follow your bliss man.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 12, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dark Onion posted:

My current headphones are being held together with masking tape and it's the holidays so I figured gently caress it I wanna get something new and nice. No idea where to start. I listen to a lot of music but don't know jack poo poo about headphones.

Budget - $150-220
Source - My laptop.
Isolation Requirements - Not really.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Will be keeping these strictly at home, so as long as it's comfortable and stays on my drat head I don't care. I wear glasses and have a hard time finding headphones that don't end up hurting after a while from squeezing between my ears and the frames or falling off. (probably because I've only ever owned cheap lovely headphones)
Preferred Tonal Balance - Just balanced I guess?
Past Headphones - The only halfway decent set I've ever owned is a Sony MDR-NC7, which I only got because it was a really good price. They are currently falling apart. Something with stronger bass would be good.
Preferred Music - I mostly listen to music with vocals (rap, indie poo poo) but also a lot of post-rock.

Shogunner posted:

I'd say Sennheiser 598s but feel free to disagree with me

598s would be a great choice to consider but I'd stay away from more open headphones if "stronger bass" is a requirement.

I'm throwing in a big plug for the Audio Technica ATH-M50 here, even if they're at the bottom (or often a fair bit below) Dark Onion's price range. It's true that there are a lot of fantastic cans within the $150-220 range, but I'd consider the M-50s to be a more natural and versatile choice for someone who doesn't "know jack poo poo about headphones."

They're quite well built, comfortable, very balanced- but with more than enough bass IMO, decent looking, and they sound great with a wide variety of music and sound sources. They're considered the de-facto "baby's first audiophile headphone" for a reason. They're a great jumping-off point for anyone who might consider getting deeper into this godforsaken hobby and better headphones than most people will ever own for anyone else.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Midorka posted:

I absolutely hate the M50. The ones I heard were overly congested and had a smeared soundstage. Like someone took the music and smeared it like one would with paint.

Guess there's an opinion for everyone? :shrug:

I'm using mine right now and they sound perfectly adequate to me- and I both own and have auditioned plenty of more expensive gear. And, at the risk of sounding like a dumb internet person, they're arguably one of the most recommended headphones on Head-Fi and its ilk which should count for something.

I personally haven't listened to the 990 myself, but I'm sure that they probably sound much better than the M50- given that they're usually way more expensive. That said, I don't know if a set of headphones that *requires* external amplification to sound its best is the best recommendation for somebody who wants to dick around from their laptop. No matter how small or inconspicuous your amp is, it's still an extra box that you've gotta plug into your computer and carry around.

Part of what keeps me coming back to the M50 is that I can plug them into just about anything and they sound 99% the same. They're a bit too cumbersome to use on a commute, but I can take them to work/school/lab/the library/traveling/my porch/bed/the kitchen table/in front of the TV/etc. in a way that I just can't with my amp-bound stuff. If you're outputting from an ultrabook or tablet then even the smallest amp still kind of defeats the purpose.

All of that aside, I'm looking for a "bassy" set of headphones to complement my Q701 for *serious listening.* You think the 990s would potentially fit that criteria or should I be looking for something more closed?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I am actually desperately looking for an adapter that will let me use various headphones (all with a 3.5mm plug) with my iphone without having to remove it from its bumper case.

I've tried a bunch of what are supposedly the highest recommended on Amazon and other sites and they've all been crap. Either they break right away or they're seriously noisy or they lose channels with nothing more than a slight twitch.

At this point, I'm considering just going for a Bluetooth adapter like the Sony SBH20 but I'd rather not deal with the loss in sound quality and the need to charge another device.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 26, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Listerine posted:

I haven't bought headphones in forever and my last pair fit my iPod so I've never had need for an adapter.

I'm sure your local Radio Shack has a 1/4inch-3.5mm adapter that's just as good and doesn't cost almost $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

I switched over to the Koss Portapro KTC, which is Fine for sound, but the flimsy nature of the wire connection makes it bad for jamming into my pocket. The PortaPro I just got ended up with a loose connection (audio coming out of only one ear) after just one month.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but Koss headphones all come with a lifetime no-questions-asked warranty (check their website). You send in your headphones/the broken component and they'll send you back a replacement.

People often complain about the fragile build quality in stuff like the PortaPro (and they definitely are on the flimsy side) but they're often completely unaware of the warranty. Even if you don't take those phones out again, it's probably worth spending the time to get them fixed.