Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Perfect Element posted:

Sooo hd560 first impressions vs my xm4s : feels like a slightly more refined sound stage, there's kinda like a greater sense of space to everything, which is cool, BUT I do miss the punchier bass of the xm4s (understand this is the usual compromise for open backs). Like if I listen to the track 'Harridan' by Porcupine Tree, the intro sounds pretty weedy on the hd560s, whereas on the xm4s it's properly thick and impactful.

this is why I kinda leaned toward the 6~~ and asked you if you were ok being tethered to an amp. They’re a bit punchier and more balanced (bassier) imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Major Ryan posted:

Very much a causal audio person - haven't bought a new pair of headphones in years. Have a bit more cash to play with than previously though, so any suggestions for the below please?

Budget - 250 GBP
Source - Pixel 6
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - On-ear, closed-back
Preferred Tonal Balance - No idea
Past Headphones - Bose Soundlink On-Ear, Koss Porta-Pros
Preferred Music - Audiobooks/podcasts, electronic, ambient

Need a new pair of commuting headphones, mostly walking, occasionally bus or train. Noise-cancellation doesn't really bother me. Has to be bluetooth, ideally something sturdy that can survive getting tossed in a case/bag when I'm not wearing them.

Am I in "it doesn't really matter" territory or does anything stand out at this price range as particularly good?

Honestly sounds like a set of Bluetooth earbuds with good ANC would be a better fit for you than some full-fat over-ears with a closed back and physical sound insulation

A $150-200 set of Beats Fit Pro or Studio Buds Plus will give you all of the isolation of big headphones when you want it, plus Transparency/etc modes when you don’t, the ability to just use one earbud when listening to audiobooks/etc, they store in a pocketable hardcase when not in use/charging which makes transporting them a breeze, and you’ll appreciate their small size when wearing them.

I think over/on-ear headphones are great and I own several sets, I used to be a “big headphone guy” at school and work, but especially for commuting (especially via train/plane/etc) I think it’s very worth giving contemporary ANC buds a shot.

I find the ANC to be completely 100% worthwhile just for how much lower I can run my audio volume, without having to compete with the din of ambient/road/train/plane noise.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 8, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Major Ryan posted:

Thank you. I've not really been a fan on earbuds, but then again it's been a long time since I've tried any - I guess things have improved since the cheap bundled-with-a-phone sets you used to get. I'll broaden my search a bit.

yeah, no, they’ve come a long long long way from those

I say give the Fit Pro or Studio Buds Plus/Studio Buds+ a shot. If you buy them from your major retailer of choice then you shouldn’t have any issues returning them if you decide they aren’t for you

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Any especially good headphone deals on Amazon for Prime? I know the Senn HD 599 SE for $80, but what about 660S for $345, 660S2 for $399, 600 for $283, 560S for $150, etc….?

How are the BT versions of the AKG 361/371?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

get me HQ! posted:

Budget - $250 but i'm flexible
Source - iPhone
Isolation Requirements - ANC
Preferred Type of Headphone - bluetooth earbuds
Preferred Tonal Balance - no strong preference; not excessive bass
Past Headphones - looking to replace Jabra Elite 75t with equivalent/similar headphone (see below)
Preferred Music - wide variety

I have/had a pair of Jabra Elite 75ts that I am/was very happy with, but the charging case fell out of my pocket. Jabra no longer offers replacement cases and the lovely third party replacement case I got off Amazon doesn't really work, so I think I need to bite the bullet and replace them. I only got the Jabras about 18 months ago and I think it's kind of bullshit that they don't offer replacement parts anymore, so I'd prefer not to give them my money.

Would prefer to avoid Beats unless they really are the best option at this price point because 1) I haven't been super impressed by Beats products I've sampled in the past and 2) the brand kinda gives douche vibes imo.

Use cases are commuting and working out.

AirPods Pro Gen 2

or

Beats Fit Pro or Studio Buds+ (Beats is a totally different company post-Apple/post-“true wireless” era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

No it’s probably “Beats are good now”

Seconded