Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Audio-Technica ATH-CK100, am I making a horrible over-priced decision? I have Etymotic MC3s right now, had Shure e2cs in the past. Looks like a few models around that range...JVC, Sony, Shure SE535, etc. Could go full audiophile-nerd and checkout 1964EARS too I guess.

Some of the Monster buds look pretty bad-rear end as well (Miles David trumpet edition) but I'd feel really silly buying Monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So I ended up ordering some Westone 4Rs, will post a trip report when I snag them this weekend (happened to be visiting back home, so shipped to my parents' place and saved like $40 in tax :toot:)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Westone 4Rs are pretty legit so far; I think I'm still breaking them in though. Regarding the obnoxious amount of eartips they provide though, is there rhyme and reason to the color codes? The manual said that each ear should be a different color, which I think is a typo because each pair of colors is identical :psyduck:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Midorka posted:

Color codes on the tips? They usually indicate size. Or color on the IEM/cables? Blue indicates left, right is red.

I'm not an idiot, no sir, not at all. :downs:

Yeah, I must have misread the instructions. The removable cables have color codes for each ear, the inserts just have color codes so you can find pairs easier. Jury still out for me on soft foam/rubber vs. the more earplug-like tips though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I got a pair of HE-400i for home, but the earpads are bugging me compared to those on my LCD-XC -- do they have full leather versions that are an easy drop in? I think the velour is what's bugging me with these guys.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

secret volcano lair posted:

Somebody did an overly detailed thing about possible replacements that might be helpful to you: https://imgur.com/a/Xjo22

Huh, I could just buy a copy of my Audeze pads and toss them on there! Tempting option, I may look into that.

I also found that my Mjolnir 2 order is further delayed until 1/30 because of a parts shortage...awwwww man. :( It's pushing off me moving my Modi/Magni back home with the HE-400i. I have been running those off my desktop's headphone jack output though...and it's still pretty good sounding, as far as things go.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I have an odd, and very different question — I give zero fucks about woo-woo audiophile grade cables....but, I'll admit some of them actually look pretty cool.

Is there any retailer / seller that's cracked the "will use the same wire as Monoprice stuff, but with some nice braiding / sweet color scheme" niche yet? Specifically looking for XLR to dual 3.5 mm for HE400i — something like this but curious if there are other colors / styles available.

I guess I very intentionally want that Type-R sticker knowing full well it does gently caress all for my audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

I have an odd, and very different question — I give zero fucks about woo-woo audiophile grade cables....but, I'll admit some of them actually look pretty cool.

Is there any retailer / seller that's cracked the "will use the same wire as Monoprice stuff, but with some nice braiding / sweet color scheme" niche yet? Specifically looking for XLR to dual 3.5 mm for HE400i — something like this but curious if there are other colors / styles available.

I guess I very intentionally want that Type-R sticker knowing full well it does gently caress all for my audio.

Anyone heard of Periapt Cables? I dig the braided look and it doesn't look half bad, and is not obscenely expensive vs. the labor of assembling it myself.

The other comedy option I have been entertaining is Digi-Key'ing the connectors, and assembling the cables myself over a six-pack. Maybe I'll use some "space-grade" wiring from work from leftover missions / projects and re-sell it at some point as "space-grade headphone cables".