Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iamthegibbons
Apr 9, 2009
Look into something where you can easily change the cable. For instance, my Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's have a pretty neat design feature in that the cables actually have a socket in the earpiece. If the cable breaks, you can just get a replacement, no soldering required to fix it right back up. Just unplug and remove the old cable, put in the new one and done! I think every part can be replaced.

That said, I replaced the cable on my old pair of Sennheiser 555s too, now nearly 10 years old. I even replaced the headband, which was held together by epoxy at that point due to a lot of falls. It just was a bit more annoying since you have to do more disassembly and reassembly to get it replaced. Same goes for my Sennheiser 280 Pros, again, no soldering needed. I think most circumaurals and supraaurals are like this beyond a certain price. I used to buy some pretty cheap Sony phones (about £25, forgot the model) on a regular basis. I would sometimes get through 2 pairs a year. In the end it cost me much more. The better headphones I've always been easily able to fix.

Also, if you break IEMs a lot, you can usually alleviate it with a proper case and over-under wrapping technique. Never let the jack have too much strain on it. Loop the cable through your belt if you must to minimise this. Keep it as straight as possible, and make the cable loop up to your ears further along, rather than at the jack. Proper care in this regard has massively extended the lifespan of my in-ears. The strain on the jack also applies to full-size headphones. Back of PC connections tend to work best with right-angled sockets I find, otherwise I prefer to just use a short stereo extension and connect to that, rather than let it hang over with a lot of stress on it. The 1/4" to 1/8" stereo adapters make this especially bad.

Iamthegibbons fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU