Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

I'm currently considering the Grado SR60i, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, and the trusty HD280 Pro. What others should I consider?

If you live next to a Guitar Center, make a trip and ask someone if you can try on their M50's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm getting my deposit back from my landlord, and I've been flirting around with the idea of getting new headphones. Currently i'm working with ATH-AD700s.

Budget: $250, will stretch to $300 max.

Source: Computer, some $50 Creative X-Fi sound card I bought about 3 years ago.

Isolation requirements: none.

Preferred Type of Headphone: Over ear. Favorite thing about these headphones are the fact I forget they're on. Every other headphone has put the death grip on my ears and head.

Tonal Balance: Yes? Uh, more bass than I have now would be cool. These are kind of anemic in that sense.

Past Headphones: Logitech G35 (oucchh), Razer Carcharias

Music selection: Anything really. I don't listen to a lot of bass heavy stuff, but im kinda disappointed when I do with these. I also play a handful of FPS games and being able to hear the location of things is pretty cool.
-----

I don't have any beef with my AD700's aside from the bass. They're fantastic and I've loved them. Also, will going from $90 headphones to $300 ones provide a substantial amount of quality boost? I'd rather not drop $300 if i'm not going to get too much better of a quality increase. I've looked at headphone comparisons on Head-Fi, and all the users there claim night and day differences with pretty small things. Then again they're a place purely dedicated to speakers/headphones, so I guess I can't rip on them too hard.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
tl;dr cheap Bluetooth headphones for work

Budget - 50USD or less. When these inevitably find themselves in the washing machine, I don't want to cry too loudly

Source - iPhone/iThing through Bluetooth

Isolation Requirements - Isolation is nice but these will be worn during work, where it's still useful to hear outside noise.

Preferred Type: Earbuds. IEM i guess is the only other option here. I guess you could convince me to try IEM again? Maybe I had a bad experience with IEMs because they were Samsung Galaxy S3 throw-ins.

Past Headphones - Kinda irrelevant but I've used cheap IEM earbuds and they're kinda invasive in my ear canals. My EarPods from Apple have the best comfort.

Preferred Music - Nothing bass heavy. In fact, 90% of my work listening is audiobooks.

Other requests - enough battery to last an 8hr shift?

I realize the AirPods are the best choice here but $160 is inconceivable . Thanks for your help wonderful goons!

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 7, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

ddogflex posted:

Anker Soundbud Slim. They're $20-25, don't sound terrible, decent battery life. Only "issue" is the stick out of your ears a bit. I used them for a few months before upgrading to BeatsX for my BT IEM.

Thanks! $20 on amazon right now, so I spent $25 after rush shipping and taxes. Will return with an update once I play with them for a bit.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How do you guys manage discomfort with IEMs? They start hurting after about 20 minutes and I get this weird burning sensation after taking them off. But the absolute worst problem is every sound (not from music) is much louder while wearing them. From the cable bouncing while I'm walking, to me chewing on food, my personal body sounds are painfully loud. It's worth noting that anything that makes a seal in my ears (like ear plugs) do this.

Wish there was a better way to explain this. I'm not crazy, I promise.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

ddogflex posted:

Anker Soundbud Slim. They're $20-25, don't sound terrible, decent battery life. Only "issue" is the stick out of your ears a bit. I used them for a few months before upgrading to BeatsX for my BT IEM.

Casual review no one asked for:

-not used to IEMs to adjustment to the fit was a little more involved than someone used to them, I’d imagine. Anker provided a generous amount of rubber tips and support fins, which is much appreciated. If Anker provided Bluetooth headphones in the earbud format, jd switch overnight. That’s just me.

-range is radical yo. I can leave my phone at my cubicle and waltz around the main office within a respectable distance and not have signal loss.

-battery is double radical. I listen to hours of audiobooks at work and the battery keeps up. I could probably go 2 shifts before having to charge again.

-isolation is sufficient enough that I can have the volume at minimal settings and still hear everything fine. I had to turn my EarPods to much louder volumes to block out noise, which sometimes hurts my ears and is probably horrible for my hearing. This new adjustment is good.

when I destroy these in the washing machine or lose them at work, I’m definitely buying these again given their bargain bin price. But I’ll still be waiting for a BT earbud set for sake of comfort.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Thinking about the Sony WF-1000XM4s since reviewers seem to universally peg them as “can’t go wrong” for the general population. Came in here to see if these are the right choice or if there are better or more price competitive options. Things which are important to me, from most to least important:

1) noise canceling isolation: will be using this in the office and at home where I’m usually exposed to chatter I don’t want to hear. If I can get that reduced to an amorphous rumble that I can’t get distracted from, that would be great.

2)comfort: my comfort kings are base AirPods, which I oftentimes forget that I’m wearing. My ATH-AD700s are pretty close to being so comfortable I forget I’m wearing them.

3) battery life: better than AirPods please. I’ve been on calls and zoom meetings where I have to use my phone mic after 2-3 hours.

4) W1-like chip that can pause music with a gesture or when I remove the headphones. Apparently these things work with multiple devices which would allow me to switch between my phone and games with them?

and then lastly sound quality but I’m entirely happy with how my AirPods sound compared to my ATH-AD700s which would probably get me laughed out of an audiophile forum.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

trem_two posted:

I think you should strongly consider the Jabra 85t, it very closely fits your list of wants, better than the Sony I think. I've posted about them I this thread. You can also get refurbs directly from Jabra for about $160.

Considering this guy designed these

I think im in good company 💩

Going to check some reviews. I definitely like the cheaper price.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
So I demoed out the Jabra Elite 85T at Best Buy for about 10 days and returned them. Even though they’re partially open by design, I can’t overcome the in-ear feeling that comes with those type me of headphones. ANC was shockingly good, battery life wasn’t an issue, the buttons felt nice and tactile. Comfort really wasn’t doing it for me tho.

I tried out the Bose 700s next and I’m still feeling them out. Comfort is good. Sound quality better than the 85T’s and obviously the base AirPods I’m coming from. ANC is real good. The app is kinda meh and my iPhone doesn’t know what to do when I get a call when I’m connected to them. Call quality is supposed to be really good but two people have told me so far that I’m super quiet and hard to hear and found me easier to hear on my AirPods. Also i really love that I can directly connect these to my computer and use them as traditional headphones.

I guess I could also return these too (got them at target) but I don’t know if there’s better options.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Ended up returning the Bose NC 700s and going with the cheaper QC 35 II. While they don’t look as modern, they feel a lot better to use and adjust because they don’t have the weird adjusting hinge things. I always felt like I was gonna break them. Sound quality feels about the same, as does ANC. The clamping force on my head is lesser compared to the 700s which is definitely nice. Lack of touch controls means im worried about the buttons wearing out, but at least I no longer skip a song or accidentally change volume when i wear/remove the headphones.

I’ve only had them a day but they make the N700s feel like a vanity project at the cost of function.

Also absolutely update the firmware on these through the Bose Connect app. Updating through USB on a desktop caused *tons* of issues.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Oh also there’s no way to disable the weirdly loud string VVVOOOM noise that goes off when you start your 700s. I don’t know who thought that sound effect was going to be tolerable more than a handful of times.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Bose QC35s are insanely comfortable. I was choosing between that and the Sony XM4s two and it looked like most reviewers gave Bose the win there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
11 month extremely causal review of my Bose QC35 II’s

Still fantastically good headphones for my use case, which is podcasts and music with sound isolation. Shockingly good for videogames when plugged in and turned on. Battery life is good enough that ive never had to worry about its charge. Still very comfortable for my head shape. Downsides are that call quality could be better and that micro USB charging feels really dated in 2022.

Im sure better options exist out there but for the price I paid im really happy. I know Bose released the QC 45s which added USB-C so that’s nice. If my headphones hypothetically broke id replace them with the 45s/discounted 35s in a heartbeat.