Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Budget - ~$200 CDN (if that matters)
Source - Dedicated Soundcard
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full Size Super-aural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Grado 60i, Koss Porto-pro (enjoyed)
Preferred Music - Mostly Rock, Jazz, Prog, but I have an eclectic taste of music so anything goes.

Hey guys, my Grado 60i's are finally biting the dust after 5 years. The wire started the split at the base of the cans and at the Y intersection. I'm willing to upgrade to the SR225i's but I'm worried they'll wear the same way my 60i's did. Anyone have any recommendation for open balanced headphones around that price or should I bite the bullet with the SR225i's?

Mad Lupine fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Midorka posted:

5 years is a good long time! You have three options: learn to solder and make a new cable, purchase the SR225i, purchase the Audio Technica Ad900x. I see you want Supra-aural, which eliminates the Ad900x, any reason why?

Only real reason is that the 60's are supra-aural. Also I'll be using these at home primarily so the leakage isn't really a problem for me. Also I can't really find a place to test out the Ad900x :canada: so I'd be in the dark, more or less. Are the that much better in terms of sound quality?

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Midorka posted:

I owned the SR80i and the Ad900 side by side. I couldn't think of anything the SR80i did better than the Ad900 except come off more aggressive. The Ad900 has better lows, better instrument separation, more clear mids, more clear highs, a much wider sound stage and excellent comfort. I still have my SR80i, they're good headphones, but I only use them when I want my ears assaulted.

Are the 80s and 225s that comparable? I really want to give the ad900s a shot but with this much on money on the line, and without being able to test them, I'm probably getting the 225s.

Also I know 5 years is really good for headphones as the ones I had before didn't last me half a year. My expectations were higher with these because a review I read said it lasted them 10. I guess I should take that with grain of salt; they probably weren't using them as often as I was mine.

Thanks Midorka!

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
drat I wish I waited a bit longer. I bit the bullet and bought the 225s. I'm liking the sound so far, but the comfort is an issue with these pads. I'm going to try them with the 60s pads and if the comfort is still an issue, I'll sell and try out the ad900. I really appreciate your input everyone. I'll let you know how everything goes.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Putting some heat shrink tubing or electric tape around where the wire and jack meet will also improve the lifetime of your headphones as well, especially if they have thin wires.