Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Maybe it's your source, not your headphones. Have you tried different sources?

I have a pair of Heir Audio 5.0 and a pair of Lear LUF-4B on the way. Can't wait to compare and review them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
WugLyfe, by balanced that means that no frequency is accentuated. Not necessarily perfect, but good enough. Something that doesn't focus on any frequency. Now a quick trip report.

Holy cow who knew TDK made good products? Someone recommended the TDK BA200 IEMs and my initial impressions are that at $120 on Amazon these are an absolute steal.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Pudgygiant posted:

You don't want balanced headphones, I thought the same thing and intentionally lost my Beyer T70. They make music sound so boring.

Well I mean, that's just personal preference.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

redeyes posted:

I see it like this: flat response phones generally mean lacking bass and high end treble and are supposed to be for mastering music tracks in a studio situation. These types of speakers sound like utter poo poo for actual music listening because they sound flat and dull compared to basically ANY consumer speakers or headphones.

That's exactly the opposite of what people expect when they see/hear a flat headphone. A flat headphone would have proper extension in the lows and the highs. No headphone will ever be truly flat though, because of how our ears take in sound. Perfectly flat would sound horrible. So when someone says flat they mean something that emphasizes no frequency. Maybe you like heavy bass, or what have you, but stop being ignorant, which is how you're coming off, and accept that some people do in-fact like a headphone that emphasizes no frequency.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 13, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

redeyes posted:

Flat tends to also mean that they lack low bass and treble. At least in the studio equipment that I use.

No dude, that's no what it means. And you're not stating an opinion when you talk condescendingly about others because your mind is too small to fathom that people could experience things differently than you. You're attacking them for having a different opinion.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 13, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Pudgygiant posted:

Welp, sorry for opening that can of worms. I was just trying to help out The March Hare who sounded a bit inexperienced. My first decently expensive headphone purchase was those T70s, and they sound so clinical and boring and I was trying to steer him away from that experience. Also redeyes nice job calling me out for exactly the opposite of what I meant.

The T70 aren't known to be the most pleasing headphone. From my understanding they have harsh treble and are overly detailed, which can make for an awful listening experience if you're not listening to all excellently mastered recordings.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

z06ck posted:

I'm surprised no one mentions the Samson SR850 in here for the ~50 dollar budget. These things are amazing.

Most people save ~$10 and get the Superlux HD668b, though the Samson's are more comfy.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Can you bump your budget to Brainwavz HM5 status? The M30 sound like junk from my quick experiences.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Creative Aurvana are excellent! But they don't have excellent isolation.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I would go venture over to Head-Fi but I figure here is just as good: I currently have a pair of Denon D2000s and FiiO E10 DAC/Amp. Is it really worth me upgrading to something like the Schiit DAC/Amp Set ($200) or a new pair of headphones?

It looks like the D2000s were discontinued but people are buying them for a hefty price, more than I even paid for them. I love my D2000s but I figured I'd weigh my options and try something new. The first set of cans that have caught my eye are the HifiMAN HE-400. Would it be worth it? I listen to a ton of different genres - Indie Rock, Electronic, Hip Hop, and Pop. I love the bass heavy aspect of the D2000s.

I owned the D2000 and found that they sounded excellent with or without an amp and minimal amping with a clean DAC, which the E10 has, is more than enough. I don't think you'd hear a difference with a Schiit stack. It is a nice aesthetic addition for a desk though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

movax posted:

Westone 4Rs are pretty legit so far; I think I'm still breaking them in though. Regarding the obnoxious amount of eartips they provide though, is there rhyme and reason to the color codes? The manual said that each ear should be a different color, which I think is a typo because each pair of colors is identical :psyduck:

Color codes on the tips? They usually indicate size. Or color on the IEM/cables? Blue indicates left, right is red.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

"Low impedance" isn't a positive or a negative attribute and take headphone nut sites with a grain of salt.

Not true. I'm having a pain in the rear end time trying to find a portable amp for my IEMs which are all low impedance.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have no idea, but using a portable amp with 10 ohms output isn't helping. I prefer my iPod Classic stock most times it seems.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Try a JDSLabs C241 yet?

Yeah I've been using it and it sounds excellent with my higher OHM headphones, but I do not like it very much with my Tsar 350 or the TDK BA200 I'm using. It takes away the dynamics of them. How are you liking the ODAC though?

KillHour posted:

The ALO Rx Mk3-B+ claims <1 ohm output impedance, and seems to get great reviews.

http://www.aloaudio.com/rx-mk3

Even someone as dedicated as you might think twice about dropping 650 bones on a portable amp, though.

Edit: They also sell $200 headphone cables and $150 external power supplies, so my first impression is that their specs are probably bullshit. Still, I'd definitely love to see you give them a review.

Thanks for the link, $650 is way out of my range, but we'll see. I'll check into it. I find it very odd, though, that there are so few low output impedance portable amplifiers, especially given that you want damping factor of 8 and IEMs are almost all under 32ohms.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

grack posted:

Perhaps because the vast, vast majority of IEMs under 32 ohms are designed to be used straight out of a portable source, and not with an amp?

Just throwing that out there.

That would make sense if portable devices could properly power multiple driver IEMs. I find that my iPod Classic is severely lacking with many dual driver IEMs, let alone more than that.

Edit: @Ultimate Mango, I'm still waiting on the Asgard 2 myself. I'll shoot Jason a message now.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 23, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Sold my Ad2000 for money for a new computer. I feel like I sold a dog or something.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I really like the M6 because they are proven to hold up to abuse and sound decent for the price. There are other options that sound good, but the Monoprice isn't one of them. The Monoprice may actually sound good, but they fit like absolute poo poo in my ears so I gave them for free as an extra in a sale. I couldn't be bothered with them after trying every tip I owned in them.

Speaking of tips, I find it odd that I am using a large and a medium single flanged for my Heir Tsar 350, but small double flanged for my TDK BA200. It's odd how the shape of some IEMs necessitate different tips.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Midorka posted:

Sold my Ad2000 for money for a new computer. I feel like I sold a dog or something.

Just kidding, I think the guy backed out. Maybe it's for the best.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

You should look into the Creative Aurvana Live!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

shymog posted:

The brand frightens me, but they're basically Denon internals? Interesting. How are they with highs and mids?

drat headphone shopping, I wish there was a giant loving headphone store that had all of these things sitting around so I could demo them.

Fostex internals. Fostex made them for Denon/Creative.

@Terra, you could get the A900x. I thought they sounded phenomenal. Very lively, they brought music to life unlike any other headphone I've ever heard. Then again it was only a quick demo for about 15 minutes.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I just finished my review of the TDK BA200 which I will post tomorrow after editing, but holy gently caress. These IEMs are a must hear and my new favorite IEM that I've ever heard. They make me not feel bad about selling my Audio Technica Ad2000 and from what I've read they sound like they're baby HD650. Well loving done TDK these are going in the buying guide, the first new addition in over 6 months mind you. These would have a spot on my hall of fame wall if I had one.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

How much did you spend on them? Radioshacks around the US were selling them for $40, probably still are.

Edit: Turns out I don't have the balls to sell my Ad2000. Who knew?

Midorka fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 1, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

kedo posted:

Actually as a follow up to my last post... are 5.1/7.1 headphones even worth buying? Now I'm finding reviews that are saying surround sound headphones are more or less worthless as there's not enough space for the acoustics to make any difference.

If this is totally the wrong thread for this type of headset I apologize.

From what I understand there are soundcards that emulate it well with Dolby technology, not sure about headphones with it built in though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Way too much, apparently. I didn't read about the radio shack deal until I already had them, but it doesn't work online and there's allegedly none in my area anyway. $40 would be the steal of the century, but for what I paid I was hoping for a little more comfort. My head isn't very big, but it's these glasses. If I were to send them back, is there a recommendation for another deal/that price range (<$200)?

I'm assuming you want bassy leaning headphones, are you opposed to IEMS? I ask because I just finished my review of the TDK BA200 which I'm in love with.

Edit: With the double flanged tips the isolation is as good as any, a slight cut above most.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Asgard 2 arrived. I'm planning on listening to it directly for a few days then comparing it to the Magni. I'm honestly not expecting much of a difference in sound, especially since the Magni already provides a clean output, but we'll see!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

notZaar posted:

Jesus christ, 60 bucks and all I want is a volume knob. Maybe I'll just buy a potentiometer and solder one up myself.

In all honesty the HD555 deserve a decent amp, at least an E10. I think they sound like poop without one.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

ful posted:

These would cost me about £130/$200, I wouldn't really want to go higher than that.
I'd be using them at home on my pc pretty much exclusively. As for bass, I mostly listen to rock/metal so I don't really want anything that's going to overpower the other frequencies.

I recommend the Audio Technica Ad900x or AD900 over the choices you have, if you can get them in your price range.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Klyith posted:

That's really odd, because everything I've ever heard about the 555/558 is that they have very high efficiency and don't require an amp to sound good. The very first 555s were some higher resistance, but the almost everyone has 32 ohm ones. At the time a ton of reviews pointed to them as the perfect starter audiophile headphone that could still work fine straight from a mp3 player.

They spike to almost 300ohms in the lows. Other than that they sit around 50. They aren't particularly hard to drive, but I found the bass to be muddy and the highs to be lacking without an amp.

@Oneiros, coming from the HD555 I think you'd like the AKG. You can demo them at a Sam Ash music store though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Lowness 72 posted:

Hey Midorka,

What are your thoughts on the Wirecutter reviews? They've been doing a bunch of headphone reviews lately. What's notable is they've been recommending headphones that I previously had never heard of (i.e., they weren't the typical "go-to" choices). They usually get a bunch of different pairs and have various people try them which I think is interesting.

Anyhow - they just came out with the best sub-$100 review and chose these: Sony XBA-C10IP

I'd never heard of them and also can't find them at some of my normal retail choices (Amazon, B&H etc). What do you think? Heard of them before?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-100-in-ear-headphones/

I think that it's aimed at the mainstream crowd, not for those who care about min/maxing their value. Here are my complaints:

- Only choosing mic/remote IEMs. There are lots of people who don't use their smart phones for music listening. Let's face it, their battery life can be pretty abysmal. If you're like a lot of people, using a dedicated PMP, then the remote/mic option can be a nuisance due the TRRS plugs which make it unusable in many desktop amps. Yes, I like to listen to my IEMs on my desktop at times.

- Steve Guttenberg as an expert. This guy is the same guy who said that CDs sound better than FLAC. He also raves over headphones I think are complete junk, but then again everyone has different tastes. He shouldn't be writing technical articles though when he has no idea what he's talking about.

- Relying on Amazon/Best Buy reviews is stupid. The majority of people there have very little experience with headphones, let alone the non-mainstream brands. Beats Solo HD has a 4.2 on Best Buy, for instance. Amazon/Best Buy reviews are worthless for certain things and headphone reviews are one of them, outside of reading about basic things like durability.

And looking through the rest of the list it seems like they had a bunch of junk they reviewed/spent their time on. I don't care for the site personally. I find it funny that the Apple Dual Driver IEMs were listed as junk when they are excellent IEMs and sound better than anything I've heard on their list. I don't know where they get their info on the A161p either, but I've not heard anything about them discontinuing a headphone they launched a year or two ago.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

You could get the Ad900 or Ad900x, which I feel has a noticeable increase in bass quantity from the Ad700. It won't be a huge difference though until you put your Ad700 on again.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

DanManIt posted:

With respect to what you said, can I get a recommendation for IEM's for $100 or less? I've just been using the apple earpods on the go and they are really uncomfortable in my ears.

I mostly listen to rock and electronic music, through my laptop.

If you're not in a rush, keep and eye on the TDK BA200. They were $115 when I reviewed them, but they're well worth $150. The best IEMs I've heard to date. If you don't want to wait, the thinksound ms-01 are great.

@Zorak, check your Best Buy. If they have a Magnolia they'll have the A900x.

@Incredulous: http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Sport-Fi-Noise-Isolating-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K2U

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Did you mean @JP Money? I was about to respond to his post with that very same suggestion.

Also, I take it that the main difference between the ATH-A900x and AD900x is just closed-vs.-open, right? One's not necessarily going to be totally "better" than the other, but more that each has its specific strengths relative to the other and largely dependent on the listening environment. Or am I just off-base here?

Yeah, whoops!

As for the A900x vs Ad900, the difference I've found is that the A900x sounds more lively. This is because the Ad900 has an open back which allows some of the bass impact and highs to trail off into the air. It gives the feeling of being at an open concert. I loved both headphones though. The Ad900x are said to sound like the Ad900 once the Ad900 have broken in. I will say that the A900x fit very loose though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

bull3964 posted:

So, my first impression of the BA200 was "Hmm, very detailed, lacking in punch though, maybe I really do need to have an amp."

Well, then I tried swapping out the pre-installed large tips for the smaller ones.

Oh poo poo, now that's better. I haven't heard bass this clear from such a small package before.

With IEMs the most important thing is getting a good seal. It's best to open your jaw and with your opposite hand tug at the top of your ear pulling it up and back. This opens the ear canal and when you get them in nice and sealed and relax your jaw/let go of your ear you'll have a great seal.

It takes some playing around though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

El Spider posted:

Budget - ~300$
Source - Laptop
Isolation Requirements - none
Preferred Type of Headphone - over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I don't think I have enough experience with headphones to mention anything but I think like some bass, it's not a must though.
Past Headphones - a bunch of lovely ones not worth mentioning, and a razer carcharias.
Preferred Music - hip hop, rock

I'm ready to step my game up and drop some money on headphones. My options for trying headphones out in stores are limited but I came across the Sen HD558 and Momentum and really liked both. I found the 558 really comfortable and the Momentum's on ear demo was pretty good too. I'm leaning towards the over ear Momentum right now, is there anything else I should be looking at in my price range that could do what the Momentum does better? I've looked at 2 reviews of the AD900 mentioned a couple pages ago and its sitting at the same level as the 558 for me. Am I missing out on anything by not using an amp? I'm not terribly interested in getting one.

I'm considering waiting until black friday/cyber monday to make a purchase also, does this open up new possibilities in this strange technology fetish?

My experience of the Ad900 vs the HD558. The Ad900 is more comfortable and quicker in sound, much more open sounding and better tonal balance. The HD558 lean warm, and clean, with good imaging. Both are great headphones, though I preferred the Ad900. I think you'd like the Momentum more than both though because I'm guessing you liked how punchy they sounded.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

$800 is serious money for a pair of headphones. At that price point you should go to a headphone meet, they happen all the time and you can find one on Head-Fi. Spending $800 on headphones based on a guess is something I wouldn't do.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Quick thoughts on Schiit Magni vs Asgard 2:

Magni is brighter and seemingly more detailed, while also coming off as quicker. The bass seems to extend further with the Asgard 2, neither seem cleaner than the next.

I would describe the Asgard 2 as warm and full sounding, while the Magni is quick and bright, in comparison. The Asgard 2 sounds like a tube amp from what I've heard their general sound is characterized as.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

There is not a need for ANC on a consumer flight. I've flown with IEMs ranging in isolation quality and their passive isolation in combination with music playing will be enough for anyone. Sure if you're on a pond jumper then you're going to want more isolation, but I've flown a bunch and never have I ever been in a cabin that was very loud. Certainly nothing louder than ambient noises from a TV in the same room. Some IEMs do come with poor tips, but this can be easily remidied.

Point is, unless you have a problem with IEMs then there's pretty much never a reason to get ANC.

Cheap IEMs for travelling would be the M6 if you want budget. Their double and triple flanged tips will offer excellent isolation, and in my experience, the best comfort.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 18, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

WugLyfe posted:

A super common occurrence.

Which I usually liken to people who use IEMs with bad tips, or people not trying various tips. I didn't use double/triple flanged tips until over a year of owning IEMs and it was a revelation when I did. Comfort, isolation and ease of insertion is increased ten-fold with these types of tips. Gel and foam tips are also an option.

Edit: When I say "have a problem" with IEMs, I mean there are some people who literally can't wear IEMs because it triggers claustrophobic reactions or similar.

Edit 2: Even so, ANC is a pain in the rear end. Having to keep fresh batteries on you at all times and when the batteries die or run low the headphones will sound like crap with ANC on. I recommend a pair of over ear or on ear that isolate nicely over ANC. I really advise against ANC in almost every scenario really. It not only severely limits your options, but it's rarely ever necessary.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 18, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I figured that the Momentums wouldn't match the isolation of some solid IEMs with good tips- I acknowledged that in my initial post.

I was just wondering if they'd hold their own and do a decent enough job on a plane/car/train/bus ride. My dad wants to use these as his main "general purpose" headphones for work/home and travel. He's not a huge fan of earbuds/IEMs but he does a fair amount of traveling and so I wanted to know if these would do an adequate job.

My main concern is that he generally uses some pretty crappy headphones to travel with right now and so he's gotta turn his iPod way up to drown out the background noise, which is obviously very bad. If these will allow him to keep the volume at reasonable levels, even if the isolation isn't totally seamless, then it's a win in my book.

Here is a graph of how the Momentum isolate vs the M50, Apple earbuds, and the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. The HD25-1 II isolate the most and I've heard great things about them.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=6&graphID[]=4193&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=3121&graphID[]=513&scale=30

I can't figure out how to link this nicely.

Edit: Apparently even when linking directly from the site it doesn't work.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Joda posted:

Hi headphone thread,

My current headphones recently stopped playing bass sounds so I need to invest in some new ones. On top of that I'm seriously considering investing in a proper sound card as well (currently have an on-board one.) My primary need is gaming while talking with people over Mumble/Skype/Whatever. That's not to say I don't want some that play good quality music with a nice tonal balance, but this is not my primary concern. I'm looking for something closed and of the last of the four types mentioned in the OP, I tend to prefer big, soft cups that cover my ears entirely. Too small or too hard and my earlobes will start hurting after an hour or so. In terms of interface, I need them to just work directly with 3.5mm stereo jacks. An integrated microphone is mandatory.

If anyone has any recommendations on sound cards, these would be greatly appreciated as well!

My total budget for sound card + headphones is £100, which, adjusted for American prices, is around $120 +/- $20.

Skip the soundcard for now. Get something like the Samson SR850, Creative Aurvana Live! or Audio Technica Ad700. The Ad700 has the best comfort in your price range, but they lack bass. If you're primarily using them for talking then it shouldn't be a problem though.