Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ultimate Mango posted:

If you want isolation have you thought about IEMs? There are a good number of excellent IEMs at that price point.

And much easier to deal with while travelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

terre packet posted:

I haven't, but I can change that. :) Some IEM recommendations then please!

Given your musical tastes, something like the Future Sonic Atrio MG7 might be right up your alley. Good isolation, awesome, deep base, clear midrange and highs. You can also use Shure Olive foam tips, which should improve the isolation and comfort even more, and still be well under your maximum price.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Midorka posted:

In all honesty the HD555 deserve a decent amp, at least an E10. I think they sound like poop without one.

Err, he did say that his sound card has a built in amp. I would guess what, a Xonar? Generally well respected cards.

notZaar, just look for "USB volume control" on amazon. I'm sure you could find a cheap usb media controller under $20.

E: http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=860

grack fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 4, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

Hey Midorka,

What are your thoughts on the Wirecutter reviews? They've been doing a bunch of headphone reviews lately. What's notable is they've been recommending headphones that I previously had never heard of (i.e., they weren't the typical "go-to" choices). They usually get a bunch of different pairs and have various people try them which I think is interesting.

Anyhow - they just came out with the best sub-$100 review and chose these: Sony XBA-C10IP

I'd never heard of them and also can't find them at some of my normal retail choices (Amazon, B&H etc). What do you think? Heard of them before?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-100-in-ear-headphones/

That is an incredibly bad reviews page. They don't review an item because it has some bad feedback on Amazon? Seriously?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

JP Money posted:

I figured I'd take a shot in the dark and give these a try. Hopefully the song control stuff actually functions as they look pretty decent otherwise. 2,000 reviewers is pretty good evidence of their quality.

Good thing to read: http://www.meelec.com/Articles.asp?ID=155

How well the button control works depends very much on what audio player you're using in Android.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021814&p_id=5346&seq=1&format=4#feedback

As I scan the first page of reviews, I see lots of complaints about tight connector fit and brittle connectors breaking.

Unless you plan on plugging and unplugging the cables regularly (like, daily), it's not going to be a problem.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you want deep, brain rattling bass Etymotics are an incredibly poor choice. They are a flat response headset and are very bass light.

At your price range the Yamaha EPH-100, Monster Turbine or Monster Gratitude are much better choices.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Does going in to device manager and manually pointing to the driver folder under Hardware->Properties->Update Driver work?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Previous Jesus posted:

That's what I figured, but I just did that and the sound didn't falter at all. I've only noticed the sound messing up with my phone (I have my headphones plugged into my computer at the moment), is it possible that the problem is with the phone's headphone jack somehow? I assumed I was just noticing it with my phone because it's the only thing I use my headphones with while I'm moving.

It's possible a bit of dust got in to the headphone jack and is screwing up the connection on an intermittent basis. You can try cleaning it out with a blower brush or a q-tip dipped in a bit of alcohol (a very small amount, though).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

For MondayHotDog and Dirty Job, is there any reason you wouldn't consider IEMs? You'll probably get better isolation than with circum- or supra-aurals in your respective budgets.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

rapeface posted:

So while I'm here waiting for the a-JAYS Five, amazon lets me know about the JLab JBuds J4 are 66% to $30ish dollars. Is this worth picking up? Are JLabs even the same company as JAY?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011TS8LM

My previous post:

No. Jlabs headphones have ridiculous MSRPs so they can always be sold at "massive discounts". They're pretty crappy headphones.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

vanbags posted:

I bought the Superlux HD 681s for a cheap pair of gaming headphones and I've been more than happy with their performance for the price.

The only problem I have is apparently my head is too fat and after about an hour or two of use the clamp force is a little overwhelming. Without the risk of breaking them is there a recommended solution to loosening them up a bit or am I better off just going after another pair?

Stretch them over a stack of books over night.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NVM, this is too stupid to comment on at this point.

grack fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 11, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Chemical Shift posted:

Budget - Somewhere between $20 - $50.
Source - iPod Touch
Isolation Requirements - Somewhat. I don't work in a noisy environment, but I also don't want to bother my coworkers.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEMs only. I'll be using these 90% of the time at work, moving around often, and I would like the portability and low profile of IEMs. Earbuds don't stick in my ear well because I have stupid ears, apparently.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced.
Past Headphones - UE500, UE600, UE200, MEE Sport-Fi M6 (MEE was the latest one).
Preferred Music - Folk, Acoustic, Rock, some Rap, Classical (usually classical guitar)

The main thing I'm looking for here is durability. And I guess at this point some advice on how to make sure my headphones last, because I'm sick of having to replace them and I also don't have that much money anymore. I have a pair of SR80i Grados for home use, so this is mostly for on-the-go and work. I use a different, lovely sport one for exercising that works quite well for that, so these will be for use pretty much only at work and coffee shops and stuff. I would like something that sounds decent (the worst sound quality I'm looking to go to would be the MEE M6, which is serviceable but doesn't sound all that great). The UE600s were probably the best sounding ones I've ever had, but they gave out in one ear like the other UEs did.

The Etymotic Etykids would probably work well for you, as long as you don't listen to music very loud. Good isolation, neutral, balanced sound (very similiar to your UE600s), and are $25-30 on Amazon. They also have Kevlar reinforced cables and long strain reliefs. The downside is that they have very high impedance (300 ohms) so they won't get very loud on your iPod, but you probably won't need them to get very loud anyways.

Also, if you're not doing so already I'd suggest getting a hard case for your IEMs. Those cheap aluminum cigarette cases you can get at the dollar store work very well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Case is probably the number one item to keep IEMs in good condition longer. A shirt clip is a good idea so you don't catch the cords on things, and making sure you pull on the body of the IEM/plug and not the cabling when you're removing them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

If they're harder to drive, the noise floor won't be as pronounced.

The ATs are low impedance/high sensitivity IEMs so this is rather unlikely.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I at this time can't justify that cost for an amp alone :( so you don't think they make decent DACs?

If you're looking for home use, why not a Fiio E09? $100, and you can pair it with the E07

grack
Jan 10, 2012

guppy posted:

The goal is specifically engine noise.

This doesn't change anything at all. There's a reason why there are so few noise cancelling IEMs on the market, they really don't provide much of a benefit.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Paradox Personified posted:

So my Yamaha EPH-100s came in today, the left audio channel was totally out and the right audio sounded like a loving pair of those iPhone pieces of poo poo... look, do they sound tinny and bass-less even when working properly, and even with the equalizer jacked up like crazy? I'm just tired of the constant pain from over-ear sets, and the last over-ear I had was a Nady brand, QH560, and its online presence was nothing compared to the glowing four and five-star reviews these Yamahas get- and the sound from the Nady set was still better, the bass I could reach with those was amazing. For further comparison, last IEM I had which caused me to fall in love with the design was a Sennheiser brand (a couple of CX500s) and it didn't even sound this bad.
When I get the replacement from Amazon, should I expect iPhone-headphone quality again from those Yamaha EPH-100s?

No, that definitely isn't right. The EPH-100 should sound very full and warm, not tinny at all. Sounds like you got a bad pair. It's also possible that the headphone jack on your player/phone has some gunk/dust in it that's messing with the connection.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aaaaand the right channel just went out.
Um.. is there an RMA limit on headphones that poo poo out so often?

drat. Sorry to hear you're having so many problems, I don't think I've heard of the Yamahas having so many issues. Perhaps a pair of Shure SE215s or Monster Miles Davis Trumpets? Similar sound signature.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

What about the Monster 'Gratitude'? My mother loved and still loves Earth Wind & Fire, who designed those. I swear, once I get my NDT work, I'm buying a dozen headphones of all IEM designs.

Update on it, right channel comes in and out and I want to blame it on the cold snap somehow, I live on the Gulf Coast. Maybe heat expanding, cold contracting, is a factor? Very very loose uneducated guess theory though. I still have my Nady over-ears, so those are relegated to the PS3 audio-out, on the PC the 100s remain where I can actually fiddle with channel level balance and can jack up the R-chan when I need to.

Thanks guys and gals and variants and starkin. :)

The Gratitudes are incredibly good headphones, and a bunch of people on Head-Fi actually rate them higher than the Turbine Pro series (Gold and Copper) in Monster's lineup. They have a small treble boost compared to the Yamahas so the sound signatures are a little different, but the Gratitudes definitely hold their own against the EPH-100. Between the HifiMan RE400s, JVC FXT90s and Gratitudes, I kept the Gratitudes and sold the other two. That's how much I like them - they're my everyday headphones.

As to pricing, the Gratitudes were discontinued about 6 months ago and are being blown out very cheap on Amazon. If you're interested, definitely get a pair.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Profanity posted:

Will an Asus Xonar Essence STX sufficiently drive a pair of HD 650s? Googling around on Head-Fi and such some say it does, some say it doesn't. I am a total headphone newbie, so it's hard to tell between audiophile sperglords who think anything sounds like poo poo if it's not through their $5000 system and actual sane people.

Yes, easily.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Tactical Lesbian posted:

http://www.wwstereo.com/dB-Logic/EP-100PINK

TAKE THE PRESSURE OFF YOUR MIND. Perk up those ears! dBLogic earphones are the sound choice for kids and adults with a super-small design and crystal-clear sound. These earphones are specially designed in-ear monitors (IEMs) that fit perfectly snug in the ear, and feature a strong ultra-thin cable that can be worn up and behind the ear for a unique, ultra-comfortable wearing style. Using SPL2 Technology, dBLogic earphones limit high sound pressure levels to 85dB while delivering superior, clear sound quality to help protect your lifelong hearing.

ON SALE NOW :commissar:

I'm not getting the sarcasm here. Volume-limiting earphones for kids is a damned good idea as long as it doesn't affect sound quality.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I have a couple of options for you;

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-HBS-730-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B009A5204K/ out and about, driving, office, etc. When you get a call, it vibrates on your collarbone and is generally awesome. I especially like using it in the car, since I drive a manual.

And why the gently caress would you have IEMs in while driving? Are you stupid?

grack fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 6, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Tactical Lesbian posted:

edit: the sarcasm was the ~crystal clear~ quality from $10 IEMs

The Philips 3590 and Monoprice 8320 both sound extremely good and cost less than $10. So yes, it is possible.

Have you heard the dB Logics? Every review I've ever seen on them says the audio reproduction is quite good.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Charles Martel posted:

This series of threads has been good to me in the past, so I'm coming back for some help:

I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to the Zune Premium Headphones for my Zune. I love these headphones so much that I've been dealing with my half-shot pair while hitting the elliptical at the gym, but they are now to the point where I can't hear anything out of the right earbud, and need a replacement around the $25 range.

I couldn't find any hardware specs on the headphones, but I love everything about them: They're comfortable and the frequency response on them is clear on everything I listen to: It's not overly bass heavy, but they are loud, crisp, clear, and have nice isolation. The problem is that they are too expensive for my taste nowadays after I somehow nabbed a pair off of eBay for around $20 a couple of years ago.

Budget - Less than $30.
Source - My Zune and iPhone.
Isolation Requirements - Yes. Will be using these at the gym 95% of the time.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Earbuds or IEMs from what I can see in the OP.
Preferred Tonal Balance - This is hard to explain. I want a quality set of headphones that have a meaty, "full" sound as opposed to the weak, tinny sound most cheap headphones have.
Past Headphones - See above about my feelings of the Zune Premium Headphones. Everything about them was perfect.
Preferred Music - A little bit of everything, but mostly punk rock, metal, and classic rock.

So do you guys think I can get earbuds like the Zune premo earbuds for around $20 so I don't have to pay +$60 for another pair?

Edit: Another thing I forgot to mention is that these headphones have to be durable and have a tight fit in my ear. I really get into my music and have a tendency to headbang a bit. :) Despite that, the Zune Headphones managed to stay in my ear for most of my workout and only slip out of my ear a couple times during a 50-minute run depending on the intensity of my run, the music, or both.

MeElectronics M6/M6p

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Have I mentioned how much I hate Head-Fi lately?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I would not suggest the S4s for working out, the wiring is quite fragile.

ruro posted:

No, what have they done this time?

Just browsing the other day. There's a known issue with the LG G2/Nexus 5 where the audio output will distort at or close to maximum volume because the headphone amplifier isn't supplied with enough power, but again, only at or near maximum volume. The output is otherwise extremely clean.

Saw a head-fi'er telling someone to get and use a USB DAC even though the headphones he's using (Quadbeat 2, which were designed to be paired with the G2) should never, ever, ever be run at maximum output from from that phone. Yay telling someone to spend a bunch of money to fix a problem they don't actually have.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dirty Job posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Image-S4-II-Black/dp/B008X9Q0JK/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

These are on sale on Amazon right now for $30 (down from $80). I'm not a huge fan of the reviews though, but they might be a good deal.

I'm looking for a pair of IEMs myself. I bought some panasonic over ear headphones, which are absolutely fantastic, but they're a bit cumbersome to carry around on a day-to-day basis. I'm also not a huge fan of the "headphones around the neck" look, so I want a pair of IEMs for other day-to-day use.

Budget: $50-$100.
Source: Macbook Pro, iPod Touch.
Isolation Requirements: Yes. I'll be using them on the train, or while studying in the library.
Preferred Type: IEMs, or whatever maximizes my isolation.
Preferred Tonal Balance: I listen to a wide range of music, so I guess something that's not too bassy. I like being able to hear everything, especially now that I'm listening to jazz.
Past Headphones: Panasonic RP-HTX7, which I absolutely adore. Gummi ear buds which have been fine for now, but I want something with isolation, and the sound quality is pretty poor.
Preferred Music: A lot of stuff, but right now mostly jazz, indie rock, and punk.
Other: I'm also looking for something with a bit of lasting power. I'm not sure if this is possible with IEMs, since I hear they break quickly with frequent use. Something sturdy and reliable, if possible.

Monster Gratitudes. And if you want your IEMs to last put them in a case when you're done with them, don't just shove them in your pocket or bag. A cigarette tin from a dollar store works great, as does an Altoids tin.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Bea Nanner posted:

I'm looking for some solid over-ear/on-ears that are sub-$100 (ideally). Requirements are that they are portable and look cool and don't suck.

Current front runner: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestig...&keywords=grado

Can anyone top that for the price range?

Grados are not for portable use. Not only will they leak everything you're listening to to everyone in the vicinity, they don't block any background noise.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The FiiO cable is supposed to be quite good, I doubt you'll have any problems with it at all.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fall posted:

Hello thread. I'd be happy if you could help me out. I will be buying two pairs of IEMs, one for longer commutes and a more durable backup pair to toss around wherever.

Budget - $80
Source - Nexus 5, laptop
Isolation Requirements - High
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced. Something with detailed sound even at lower volumes.
Past Headphones - A few sub-$10 IEMs, which were harsh and lacked detail, and the Logitech UE 400 which broke after 10 months. The clarity was okay but high-energy vocals were often harsh, e.g. in the choruses of Florence + The Machine - Shake It Out, Within Temptation - Frozen.
Preferred Music - Alt rock, synthesised electronic stuff, indie pop/rock, pop.

I'm considering the Monster Gratitudes ($60) right now because of their apparently great detail and the complimentary carry case. However, I'm not sure whether or not the treble will pose a concern.

For the second pair, I'm thinking the $20 MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6?

Both good choices. I don't find the Gratitudes treble detail sharp, it sounds really good with female vocals - Amy Winehouse, ZZ Ward, Florence and the Machine, Serena Ryder, Tegan and Sara, Duffy etc. If you find it a little sharp, wider bore tips (like those that come with the MeElecs) will take a little bit of the edge off of the mid-high range. They also isolate pretty well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Listerine posted:

I got a pair of grado 225i headphones as a gift; is there any kind of adapter available that will let me use them with the smaller audio out on my iPod?

This is a joke, right?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Agatsu posted:

Am I asking the question incorrectly here, or did I offend yalls somehow. Gettin no love in this thread. Any IEM peeps wanna respond? Still considering the Westone 3s.

Westone's an excellent brand that's been around for quite a long time, and they make excellent headphones. I'm sure they'll do you right if that's the route you choose. If you're using it for stage use, definitely spring for custom moulds if you can - it's not so much isolation as long-term comfort.

I hate to say it but Head-Fi would probably be a better source of info because there are a lot more users there and "premium" universal IEMs aren't that common.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Gently KRS posted:

Looking to buy some new IEM's after being stuck with standard iPod earphones for like 5 months.
I had a pair of soundmagic's (maybe E10's, I'm not sure) for around 10-12months before, I was very happy with the sound quality but they broke.
I'm planning on using whatever I buy everyday for traveling and lying in bed. Would like something that will hold up to daily use and not get destroyed.

I was looking at what RHA has available, is there any significant differences in sound quality between the MA350, MA400 and MA600? These are all in my budget range, so if there's something better for the same price I'd like to know.
Also, can anyone attest to durability and comfort?

Budget: < ~£50
Source: Sony NWZ-S638F Walkman, My laptop,
Isolation: Traveling, so would like decent amount of isolation.
Type: IEM
Tonal Balance: Would prefer something with a balanced range of sounds and clear but non overpowering bass.
Preferred music: Death Metal and Hip-hop

The RHA MA350 and MA450 are the same set of headphones but the MA450 comes with a microphone and a bigger selection of tips. I've only had a short demo with the MA450 but it was quite enjoyable to me. It would probably suit you well and they're very well built. I've not heard the MA600. Feel free to be the guinea pig, though (RHA's IEMs seem to be pretty well received).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oppenheimer posted:

Is that link for the headphone buying guide still good? Those Padacs in the budget tier are down to 10 bux so I was wondering if they got worse or something.

Just continued as far as I know.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

I decided to move up a bit in price range and pulled the trigger on some Brainwavz B2s, then decided they were hideous even by goonlord standards and cancelled the order. Now I'm having trouble deciding between Rock It R-50Ms and Etymotic HF2s. The former seems to get better reviews for sound quality, but the build quality and isolation seem better on the HF2s, plus they have volume controls and the option of getting custom tips. Any thoughts?

Budget - <$200
Source - iPhone, iPad, MBP.
Isolation Requirements - The more, the better.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Accurate/analytical
Past Headphones - Sennheiser CX-300, Meelectronics A151
Preferred Music - Rock, pop, electronic, classical

6 of one, half a dozen of the other, really. They're both good headphones. I wouldn't use the custom tip option as a tipping point feature, though, as you can get custom tips done for just about any set of IEMs that you want.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Xovaan posted:

The e09k isn't really a proper driver for high impedance headphones though. At the very least, a Schiit Lyr or a Bottlehead Crack are the two contenders for a potential match for HD650's if he's looking for a solid upgrade to his receiver under $1000.

I'd recommend perusing head-fi with search terms like "best amp for hd650" for ideas as to what's out there. Also see what headphonia recommends for pairings as well.

Any particular reason why?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, that was a lovely effortpost with zero useful content.

Do you have an actual reason why the Fiio would be unsuitable or are you just spewing bullshit based on the price? Because it certainly seems like the latter.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You've made two effort posts with precisely zero content in them. Instead of giving vague pseudo-scientific bullshit reasons as to why the Fiio would be unsuitable, how about you describe the actual reasons why it would be unsuitable.

As a primer, here's what a real answer would look like "Amp A would be unsuitable because when used to drive headphones of X impedance, it introduces audible distortion".

The response "it's no good because it's less expensive" is 100% useless and doesn't actually answer anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You made the claim that the Fiio would be unsuitable. I'm asking why. How is that being a dick? You made two stupid long posts neatly avoiding the question.

Oh, and since you clearly didn't bother to read the information you copy/pasted from NWAvGuy's tests, they don't apply in this case. In fact, he came to the conclusion that the Fiio was well suited to running headphones that had a greater than 150ohm measured impedance.

So not only did you not post information that would support your case, the review you took the information from comes to the completely opposite conclusion you do.

Good jorb, dude.