Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

If the resident headphone experts in here were to bet money on the Creative Aurana LIVE! or the Grado SR80i, which would win? The difference on Amazon is about 17 bucks, which is not significant at all. I'm willing to buy the Grado, but will it be worth it?

I'll belistening to Pandora on a GOV computer, and the other times I'll use my iPad/iPod. They seem identical, but I'm not sure which one I should get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

The SR80i have amazing sound. I was worried about the "Harsh Grado sound" that people like to tote around. However, I took the plunge and could not be happier.

That said - the Grados are open back. Therefore, they will not isolate you and people around you will be able to hear them as well (kinda like people wearing the stock apple earbuds). That openness is part of what allows the Grados to sound so great and have a wide soundstage.

I also like them because I can hear what's going on around me in the living room while still playing games or listening to music etc.

If you want isolation though - CAL would be a better choice.

Well, I have some MEE's for workin' out, and these will be for sitting around and chilling. I already have some form of Creative headset for gaming with a mic, and I don't really care if others can hear what I'm listening to.

What is meant by a 'wide soundstage'?

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Midorka posted:

My 2 cents on the two:

I've owned both, sort of, though not at the same time. I currently own the SR80i though. You can read my review here. I meant to write "king" instead of "kind" in the title. I have never reviewed the CAL or owned them, but I did have extensive use with the Denon D1001, which use the same drivers. The Grado SR80i are excellent budget headphones and you can see my opinion on them in the review. The D1001 have more bass presence, by a large amount, without being overbearing. They hold a special place in my mind as one of the most musical headphones I've ever heard. By that I mean you simply put them on and enjoy anything that you play through them.

Neither is better, but I feel the Denon D1001 are the better all arounder. The CAL! are said to be a direct upgrade over the D1001 in build quality and sound because better housing.

As for soundstage, it means how the sound is presented. Something with a small soundstage would sound as if you were at a small concert with the speakers close together. A wide soundstage would expand upon that, if that makes sense.

I listen to a lot of metal, lots of genres of it. I also like classical and jazz. Would that help narrow it down between the two?

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Midorka posted:

If you don't need isolation then I think the SR80i is the best choice under $100 for you.

When you say isolation, do you mean sound will spill out of these into the room, and will I hear everything going on around me that I would have to max out the volume to an uncomfortable level?

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Ahh, but the grados are on ear, which makes them like bear traps on your head after an hour of use. I guess I'll get the CAL! I can't go wrong with either can I?

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

Yes the grados tend to be uncomfortable after a while. If you still want open though you could try the AD700s. Supposedly very comfortable.

Those look like Lazy Boys for your ears! Open air, and big rare earth metal magnets. Bigger is better right?

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Midorka posted:

Not necessarily and as much as I absolutely love the Ad700, I don't feel they suit your needs.

What makes you feel this way?

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

What about the Shure SRH550DJ? They look like they have good build quality, and are made to be portable.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Ordered the Grado SR80i with a Good Cans carry bag. I hope they're pretty great for listening to :metal:

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

The higher the impedence on a pair of headphones, the more likely you will need to use an amplifier, correct?

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Got my Grado SR80i today, and I believe I'm going to be thoroughly impressed once the burn in is done. I don't even really need it they sound so good already. I listened to some calm Opeth where Akerfeldt actually vocalizes without screaming and plays acoustic, and it sounded *fantastic*.

This jealous dumby I work with put them on, pulled up freemixtapes.com or whatever, listened for 10 seconds, and declared that his knock-off Beats sound better.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Yea, the Grados are pretty :krad: and I'm pretty happy with them after only 28 hours.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Do a lot of people use those fIIO amplifiers? It must be a pain to lug around your ipod and that amp with cables running all over just to listen to some Nickleback.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

So, should I get beats? I mean, the OP doesn't really say, and I can get the new Tour 2.0 for $30 off.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Midorka posted:

Well if that is what you want to subject your ears too...Thanks for a reminder to update the OP.

I believe you are not a fan of Beats. The ones I had sounded great when I had them (before the right bud poo poo the bed after 9 days of ownership.) The MEElectronics I have are nice, but something about the tips will *not* stay sealed properly in my left ear. I'm ready to take a potato peeler to my ear canal to give it an even shape.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Is this a joke company? Schiit? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Is it acceptable to remove the foam padding from the Gratto SR ADI in order to blast canned air through the open back design? I only ask this because I use these headphones while I am in Afghanistan and let me tell you things get dusty around here without even trying. Of course I would use gentle pressure I would not pull the trigger to the rear and I would not use the attachable nozzle for more force I would simply use about 6 to 8 inches away with the foam off so that I might blow any dust or particulates out of the cans themselves.