Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

cigani posted:

I read as much as I could before I got bored.

I have my headphones in for 12-16 hours a day in my lab. The lab has a constant hmmmmmmmmmmmm sound. Like a big fridge, actually a lot of big fridges. So let me try you'are template.

Budget: Cheap as possible, sound quality doesnt matter.
Noise cancelation: I dont care too much as long as I can turn them up loud enough to tune out "hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Source: My IphonE
The Only Thing I care About : Being able to wear them for like 12-16 hours a day without my ear feeling like agony. Currently im using the Iphone earbud things and the pain is pretty insane. Occasionally I accidently tug on the cable and it almost brings me to tears. I don't want big dorky cans or whatever they're called because that is embarrassing to be seen wearing. So what do you recommend for someone who doesnt care at all about sound quality, but wants headphones that I can put into my ear that will drown out the constant humming of nitrogen tanks, fume hoods, and the warning sirens of low air flow from the latter?

Thank you kindly for your advices.

e; if it matters all I listen to all day is mindless early 90's uplifting trance to drown out the knowledge that I am human garbage.

I read more words because I like re-reading my own posts a few dozen times because I'm a self conceited narcissist and often times fail to put papers up to publish in time because I'm so busy masterbating to my own writting as I have nothing else to live for. This brings me to my follow up. Are there any good wireless earbuds that I could use. Getting my headphone cable tangled into an erly flask and knocking over a bunch of chloroform is cool but the smell has started to get old and the headaches are starting to last several days instead of hours now. Thanks kindly again for your advices and I hope my posting is to format.

You could try custom mold IEM's, a bit pricier, but they're made for your ear.
The Klipsch X10's are all day comfortable even under a motorcycle helmet from my experience.

Try running the cable under your shirt to keep it from snagging poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Oh, missed that, sorry.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Thanks for the heads up on those, I liked my dear departed ER-4p's so much I bought a set.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Sean_Miller posted:

One of the two pronged attachments on the left side do not like to stay put though. If I used them as everyday walk arounds they would piss me off the amount that poo poo falls out every 30mins. Any advice?

You might try stuffing a piece of paper in the hole along with the plug, you might try bending the prongs a bit to make some friction or there's always a new cable from Senn.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

the kawaiiest posted:

Thank you, I'll have a look!

Just beware that those Audio Technica ATH-A700X are HUGE, hold a cd up to your ear, that's about their diameter.

If you're thinking about IEM's take a look at the HiFiMan RE400 and Vsonic GR06.

The RE400 is a pretty balanced and accurate though leaning towards the mids and I think they look drat good.
http://www.amazon.com/HifiMan-Elect...&keywords=re400

The V Sonic GR06 has more bass than the RE400 though it's less accurate. It's got a swiveling nozzle and a plethora of different tips, so getting a good fit shouldn't be too hard.
http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=37&osCsid=cbc94acd3fd88d1e5a77195e0dd6a131
I know they're not white or shiny, but they're 80 Singapore Dollars, which is about 80 cents to the US Dollar which comes out to $65, one of the better deals out there.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

My HD580 has more bass, smoother mids and more detail than my A900 had IIRC. The A900 was more comfortable, had a much wider and deeper soundstage and more impact with the 580 sounding sedate by comparison.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I'm not saying the 580 is uncomfortable, it's just that the A900 sets the bar pretty high.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

DoctorOfLawls posted:

What would be your recommendation for portable headphones to use while running/working out? I am a fan of the original Sennheiser PX-100, but the PX-100 II does not sound nearly as good. I do not want to use IEMs.

These sound much better than $15 phones should.
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380364772&sr=8-1&keywords=ksc-75

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Tunga posted:

Looking for some goony headphone advice.

Budget - Around £100 but that's not a strict limit, I'm flexible if there's something worth paying more for.
Source - Mostly my Nexus 4 and my iMac at work. Occasionally also to be used with my Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 10, and my PC (Asus ExtremeFX on Optimus VI Impact).
Isolation Requirements - Isolation is important so that the noise of the train (London tube trains are noisy) doesn't drown out my music, and so that other people can't hear them at work. I don't tend to listen at high volumes.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural preferred, I don't like anything that goes in my ears.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I honestly have no idea.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser PCX150 or something, noise cancelling supra-aurals from a few years ago. They are okay but they hurt my ears after wearing them for a while. For gaming I bought an Astro A40 headset which I have found to be super comfortable.
Preferred Music - Mostly rock/indie, bit of a mixture but leaning towards lighter stuff.

I also need a way to carry them around easily in my rucksack so bonus points if there is something that has a nice compact bag/case or they can fold up or something.

This guy on head-fi has an ongoing review thread of about 100 portables.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-108-portable-headphones-reviewed-denon-dn-hp1000-added-09-07-13
That said, I bought the Sony V-6 (the V-7506 is the same thing) for my son and they worked well as an all around phone. They're built like a tank and stand up to abuse, foldable, and isolate well enough. There's a reason they've been the studio standard for decades. The biggest cons are a shallow cup if you have big ears, a coiled cord and they have a V shaped sound signature.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

MondayHotDog posted:

Budget - $30-40. I'm broke.

Source - LG Optimus L9 phone, Spotify on extreme quality.

Isolation Requirements - Need closed ear, so I guess they'll have decent isolation regardless.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Closed ear for travelling on the subway.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I like good bass and good highs, but mids aren't a priority.

Past Headphones - Right now I have some Sony MDR-NC7s. I'm happy with the quality (for the $50 I paid for them, at least) when I'm at home, but the noise cancelling doesn't even get rid of the train rumbling, much everyone's conversations.

Preferred Music - Punk and ska mostly, some folk and 8-bit/chiptune.

My main question is whether the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S be noticeably better than the MDR-NC7s I have now. If the Sony MDR XB500s are a good deal better I could save up for those too.

I haven't heard the XB500 or the NC7, but I do have the HTF600.
It's got decent quality bass, the mids are a bit recessed and the highs are non fatiguing. They have a similar sound signature as my Sennheiser HD-580, with the 580 having just a bit more treble. They're a good sounding phone, especially for the price, though I'm not too confident in their standing up to any rough treatment, they feel "plasticky".
They provide some isolation, but being semi-open it's not much. If you're main concern is keeping out train noise, maybe the Incipio F38 series or Monoprice 8323 might work better, as they're in the same price range and isolate better.

That, or IEM's since most often they'll isolate better than closed phones. The Vsonic GR02 seems to have the characteristics you're looking for. I haven't heard them, but this guy likes them.
http://www.amazon.com/VSONIC-Silver...rds=vsonic+vc02

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

MondayHotDog posted:

Wanna thank you guys for the Monoprice 8323 recommendation. I'm hearing things I've never heard before in songs I've listened to hundreds of times. With 23 dollar headphones. That's insane.

How's the isolation?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Grados are very open, everyone in the room will hear what you're listening to and you'll hear everything in the room unless you crank up the volume.

Check out the Sony V6(same as V7506), they have some isolation, just about anything can drive them, they fold, they're built like tanks and have a fun sounding somewhat V shaped freq. curve.
The cons are sparkly highs, narrow soundstage and that drat coiled cable.

I've heard good things about the Creative Aurvana Live too, maybe Midorka can fill you in more on those.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Kremlin Kremlin posted:

adding those to my "potentials" list. sturdiness is definitely a plus! any comment on the physical comfort of those?

e: the sony ones are around $100, and while i'm sure that doesn't mean they're bad, i'm looking for a something a little higher-end

Take a look at the Sennheiser Momentum, Beyer DT1350 and Bower & Wilkins P5.

Edit
And the V-Moda M-80

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I used to have the A900 that has the same type of wing support and headband. They didn't fit as tightly as my HD-580, but even on my average head they weren't loose. They're never going to be something that you could take jogging, however they'll do fine for sitting and listening.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I used to have the A900 and they were the most comfortable closed phones I've ever used, but they're CD diameter huge. I never forgot they were on, but didn't mind. They're some of the best gaming phones made IMO, just about anything can drive them, a Revo 7.1 or Creative Zen had no problem getting them to LOUD. The soundstage is gigantic and makes pointing out the bad guys easy.
The cons were the pleather pads tend to get hot after a while and deteriorate after a few years, they tend to fit a bit loose on my head and the mid has a bit of a honky sound on certain recordings. I don't know if that has been addressed on the new X model.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

guppy posted:

My parents are going to be spending something like 36 hours on airplanes and asked me if I knew of any good noise-cancelling IEMs. I don't know if that's even a thing outside of Bose and they don't want to pay the $300 or whatever that Bose is asking. I'm guessing it's not possible to satisfy all of these criteria but are there any acceptable noise-cancelling IEMs at or below an $80 price point?

Etymotic IEM's isolate as well as anything out there, they tend to insert kind of deep, but if you can wear those silicone triflange ear plugs, you can wear these. The Ety Kids 5 is the low end at $40 at amazon, they isolate drat good and don't sound too bad at all. Very detailed. All Ety's are lean on bass and they're no exception, they also seem to have a bit of a bump around 6K. They have a high impedance to help limit the volume, keeping kids, the intended target, from damaging their hearing.

Joker did a good writeup on them in his review IEM thread on head-fi.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-302-iems-compared-1964ears-v6-stage-added-11-12-13-p-806

Personally, I'd want something a bit less bright and fatiguing for a long trip like that, maybe the $65 Vsonic GR06 would work, it also gets 14 different sets of tips and the nozzle swivels so I don't think very many people will have problems getting a good seal.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 24, 2013

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I've heard good things about Mullard NOS tubes.

edit
somehow forgot a word.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 28, 2013

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Midorka posted:

My experience with planars is that they benefit lots from an amp. Then again that's only 2, Mad Dogs and T50RP, which are the same headphone.

The HE-300 has dynamic drivers.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Sprite141 posted:

My little brother (like 14, I think) keeps breaking his headset, literally breaking because it is just falling apart. My Grandmother is looking to get a pair of these Monster DNA On-Ear Headphones for him for Christmas, but I don't want her to waste money buying a shoddy product. I know the OP says to stay away from monsters, as they aren't worth their price tag, but the things are on sale for 75$ as opposed to 230$. Also they're wireless, so that's less he can break on them (I assume).

Sadly he lives in another state, so I don't really know his preferences. But I'll give you what I do know.

Budget: I'm not the buyer this time, but seeing as my Grandmother is looking to buy these, I'd say 80$ or lower might be a good limit.
Source: I assume his iTouch, laptop and maybe another mp3 player he has.
Isolation Requirements: I don't know actually, but honestly there shouldn't be too much isolation. He probably should be able to hear when his father calls for him (unless he puts the sound up real high, in which there's nothing anyone can do). Honestly though I don't think this should matter for him.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Well he does like over the ear headphones, I don't know how picky he is on other styles though. He does hate when his cords break on him, an opinion I personally share. That's why we're thinking of getting him a pair of wireless headphones.
Preferred Tonal Balance: Man I have no idea. He does like bass, so it shouldn't be skimpy on that I'd say.
Past Headphones: SOUL by Ludacris SL150CB High-Definition On-Ear Headphones. He got these June of THIS year, and it's already falling apart. He did enjoy them though. He also doesn't have a warrenty for them he says.
Preferred Music: Not too sure, but I know he listens to classic rock and maybe some metal. He does branch out into other genres though but I don't have a good idea of them, sorry.

So would any of you think these would be a good buy for him, or is there something I'm missing? Hell, maybe if these are decent enough I'll pick up a pair for myself as well.
If not, I'm open for opinions.

I'll throw these out there. I'd bet they sound better and let you hear where the bad guys are better than the Ludacris phones for 1/2 the price.
http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-681-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI
http://www.head-fi.org/products/superlux-hd-681

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Sprite141 posted:

Oh nice. Amazon sold out of the monsters so I can't get the cheap price, and I was planning on telling my Grandmother to pick up a pair of Panasonic RP-HTF600's like I have now.

But I don't think those headphones would work, to be honest. They have an 8 foot cable length apparently, and I know my brother won't put up with that at all.
However these are apparently almost the same, except you can switch between a long and short cord. I read a review on them and it says in comparison the EVO version has a larger bass hump and a less hot treble, though they were using an amp and I dunno. :psyduck: I don't understand any of this stuff.

That cable looks like a nice feature and if it fails over time it won't be too hard to solder on.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

spasticColon posted:

What's a good headphone amp that would be good for my Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 cans? I would prefer to keep it under $50 if possible. Or should I just start saving up for a pair of AD900 or A900X cans in order to get more bass?

If you want more bass you may want to look at other phones with a different frequency curve, like the Senn HD-598 or Beyer DT-880 in the AD900's price range, or maybe Creative Aurvana Live! for about $100 less.
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Shogunner posted:

I am now in love with my Bravo Ocean. Been going back and forth with my 770s all day. I loving LOVE the warmth it brings. It's like hot chocolate for your ears. Goodbye forever, solid state.

edit: Also, ShenzenAudio on Amazon gives you a 5% off all purchases over $50 bucks with their stuff right now. Pretty neat.

Does it tame the high end sizzle?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Shogunner posted:

If I'm honest I've never noticed a "sizzle" in the 770's highs. Could you give me some tracks so I can do a comparison?

Try Big Money - Rush.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

It's possible, tips are cheap so why not try some different ones. Monster Turbine shaped IEM's have always been tough to get a good seal and not have the sound port blocked at the same time for me. I've tried about a dozen different tips and so far the ones that seem to work the bet for me are these.
http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=33
The hole's wide enough to not get blocked and they insert deep enough to make a seal. I'm not saying they'll work for you, just giving an example.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Dirty Job posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Image-S4-II-Black/dp/B008X9Q0JK/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

These are on sale on Amazon right now for $30 (down from $80). I'm not a huge fan of the reviews though, but they might be a good deal.

I'm looking for a pair of IEMs myself. I bought some panasonic over ear headphones, which are absolutely fantastic, but they're a bit cumbersome to carry around on a day-to-day basis. I'm also not a huge fan of the "headphones around the neck" look, so I want a pair of IEMs for other day-to-day use.

Budget: $50-$100.
Source: Macbook Pro, iPod Touch.
Isolation Requirements: Yes. I'll be using them on the train, or while studying in the library.
Preferred Type: IEMs, or whatever maximizes my isolation.
Preferred Tonal Balance: I listen to a wide range of music, so I guess something that's not too bassy. I like being able to hear everything, especially now that I'm listening to jazz.
Past Headphones: Panasonic RP-HTX7, which I absolutely adore. Gummi ear buds which have been fine for now, but I want something with isolation, and the sound quality is pretty poor.
Preferred Music: A lot of stuff, but right now mostly jazz, indie rock, and punk.
Other: I'm also looking for something with a bit of lasting power. I'm not sure if this is possible with IEMs, since I hear they break quickly with frequent use. Something sturdy and reliable, if possible.

Maybe the Vsonic GR06, 80 Singapore $ = ~ $65 US.
http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=37&osCsid=b69771aaaa44914643e23ae96d745963

Or maybe the Ultimate Ears 600 for about $60.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ulti...timate+Ears+600

On the high end, the HiFi Man RE400 for ~ $100.
http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAN-RE400...&keywords=re400

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Hey there how's it going? I'm looking for some earphones (or even headphones really) that are relatively in the $20-$50 range that are... well good. The main quality I'm looking for is durability. I like to play my music as loud as I can no matter what kind it is, helps me get absorbed and filter out all external sounds. Problem is that I tend to blow the gently caress out of the previous earbuds I've had, I've gone through like 2 sets of iphone headphones, 7 sets of imitations that all lasted me a week, and a Sound Magic 3000 model recently after having read the OP and that lasted me a month. I don't know if this is a problem that just amounts to "Stop playing the music so loving loud," but if I can get some recommendations on what to use to enjoy my loud music while not bothering people around me and without having to worry about them blowing, that'd be appreciated. The budget doesn't matter a ton, but relatively cheap is preferable.

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Rese...&keywords=erek5

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

cyberia posted:

I need some new headphones after using Klipsch Image S4's for a couple of years I want to try something new. My first pair of Klipsch lasted nearly two years with constant daily listening before the cord frayed to the point of no longer working and my second pair with the 'non tangle' flat cord has recently had the cord leading to the right earpiece curl up so badly they're barely useable anymore.

Budget: Less than AUD100
Source: iPod nano, will be only using them when I'm at work
Isolation Requirements: I would like them to completely block out all outside noise and also not be heard if I have my music turned up a bit. That has been the best aspect of the Klipsch headphones, they completely drown out every obnoxious coworker around me
Preferred Type of Headphone: In-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance: No real preference
Past Headphones: Klipsch Image S4's and I use Sennheiser HD25s at home and when I'm DJ'ing
Preferred Music: Hardcore, drum 'n' bass, EBM and the odd audio book

Take a look at the Vsonic GR06, $80 Singapore dollars= $71 Australian.
http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=37&osCsid=5452203bc226a7fcd066588c81df719d
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612586/review-vsonic-gr06-wow

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Jinnigan posted:

Okay, here's a pretty specific request. I'm looking for a pair of headphones that have a very strong wire connection to the jack. I've had some great headphones in the past but they've always, always come loose at the jack, causing audio to only come out of one ear. It's basically because I bike a lot with fitted pants, so there's a lot of pressure on the jack, and the wire gets bent every which way when I shove the excess into my pocket. So has anyone had some good experience with headphones that can take a bit of a beating, as far as the wire/jack connection is concerned?

Budget - I'm looking to stay between $25-$75.
Source - Just a basic iPhone 4s.
Preferred Type of Headphone - I tend to prefer open over-ear headphones.
Past Headphones - I've owned Sennheisser HD555s and Grado SR80is and they've both got beautiful audio quality. Unfortunately because of the abovementioned "fitted pants while riding bikes" problem, their larger audio jacks place too much leverage on the iPhone port and headphone jack, and both end up being bent over time, eventually breaking. I switched over to the Koss Portapro KTC, which is Fine for sound, but the flimsy nature of the wire connection makes it bad for jamming into my pocket. The PortaPro I just got ended up with a loose connection (audio coming out of only one ear) after just one month.
Preferred Music - I listen to mostly metal, as well as plenty of jazz, bluegrass, classical, and pop. If possible I'd like to go a little heavy on the bass, but I'd rather have a balanced sound than have problems in the treble. This is all overridden by the durability problems mentioned above.

If you've had that happen to multiple sets, just a suggestion, but maybe you could find another place to put the device and use something like a velcro strip to hold the coiled excess cord so you don't have to stuff a bunch of loose wire into your pocket.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Lazyhound posted:

I decided to move up a bit in price range and pulled the trigger on some Brainwavz B2s, then decided they were hideous even by goonlord standards and cancelled the order. Now I'm having trouble deciding between Rock It R-50Ms and Etymotic HF2s. The former seems to get better reviews for sound quality, but the build quality and isolation seem better on the HF2s, plus they have volume controls and the option of getting custom tips. Any thoughts?

Budget - <$200
Source - iPhone, iPad, MBP.
Isolation Requirements - The more, the better.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Accurate/analytical
Past Headphones - Sennheiser CX-300, Meelectronics A151
Preferred Music - Rock, pop, electronic, classical

Aren't the R-50, B2 and Fisher DBA-02 pretty much the same IEM, with the same Knowles balanced armatures?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those phones if you're willing to shell out the cash.
As far as older electronics documentation goes, it's been my experience that the more common higher end names like Pioneer, Marantz and Sansui have a much larger chance of being found. My uncle still has his old Pioneer SX-1000 from 'Nam complete with the box, documentation and 4ft fold out schematic and parts layout. A lot of manufacturers didn't put stuff like that in the box. Audiokarma has a huge database that's a great resource for schematics and manuals.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

They're revealing phones and will make poor recordings and low bitrates that sounded ok on other phones sound like crud, but well recorded music is an eargasm through them.
Anyway, enjoy them, the 580/600/650 family is awesome.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The E09, O2, M3 and a bunch of other should be able to no problem. Even my little E10 DAC/Amp gets loud enough with the 580, though that's probably the limit for that one, maxed it gets about as loud as the M3 does at 10:00 and I only take that one higher with the less efficient DT770-250.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 6, 2014

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

beergod posted:

I am seriously blown away by how my vinyl sounds with this setup. Thank you all for your help and patience.

That first OMG moment is awesome.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

You know you can replace the pleather.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Got a set of Vsonic VSD1's a couple of days ago and these are definitely going to be my IEM recommendation in the $50 range. I was debating on whether to get the more balanced sounding VSD1S or fun sounding VSD1, I've already had the Ety ER-4p, EREK-5 and HiFiMan RE0, so I went with the fun one.
I think I've got the fit right, the swivel nozzle is a godsend for that, I'm not sure I could get a good seal without being able to angle it up. It also helps wearing it over the ear, just reverse the left & right and angle the nozzle appropriately. They come with a rubber wire guide to run over the ear and three tips, I haven't used the guide yet since I've been rotating between straight and over the ear. The large single flange and bi-flange seem to work well, I don't notice any difference in sound between them. The single flange is oval and long, seating deep for a single flange and works better for me than round ones, I've put that one on the Turbine as it gives me a good fit over the ear with those finicky fit IEM's. The Bi's work pretty good in either orientation, no pun intended, the profile is low enough that I could see falling asleep with these in and not having sore ears in the morning. These have about 30 hrs on them haven't noticed any burn in at all.

They've got a sound somewhat like the Monster Turbine pro, slightly mid recessed and a strong low end and some sparkle on top, I could see how they could cause some sibilance on some recordings, but I listened to my brightness test, Big Money - Rush and there wasn't any, in fact, the VSD1 brought out some bass I hadn't really heard before in that recording and made it an enjoyable listen.

The mids are a bit recessed in some areas, guitars and female voices aren't as engaging as on the RE0 or Grados I've had, but they're not bad, just not as forward as those other phones. The VSD1S would probably be better for that. On Mazzy Star the RE0 does something almost magical with the singers voice, the VSD1 isn't quite there, it's almost like she's a couple steps back in comparison. Male vocals tended to do better, on Harvest - Opeth it sounds like Peter took a step toward the mic. On Conceiving You - Riverside Mariusz Duda sounded really good.

The bass is really what these do best, it gets low and strong without overpowering the rest of the music, on Daughter of Bilitis - Grails it was almost ear shaking, turning on the E10 bass boost was eye opening. On D-Moll (session1) - Tosca the low rumble and subsonics that start at 1:30 were very present and with the bass boost on they shook a little in my ears. On Welcome To The World Of The Plastic Beach - Gorillaz the bass tone that starts at :35 was smile inducing. In back to back listening the Turbine seems to have more mid-bass, but the VSD1 sounds like it goes down farther or at least has more down low.

The Turbine seems to edge out the Vsonic in detail, but not nearly as much as the $50-100 price difference would lead you to believe. The imaging and soundstaging is pretty good for this price range, it's pretty wide and has some front to back depth and the instruments and imaged much much better than left, right and middle globs, just not quite pinpoint like the ER-4, but for $50 I'll take it.

So yea, for $50 it's going to hard to beat these and the VSD1S, IMO Vsonic has knocked one out of the park with them, I may get the 1S just because.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

You too shall fall into the money abyss.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

beergod posted:

What amplifier would you guys recommend to power my HD650's when I'm listening to music through my laptop or iPhone? Something portable would be ideal, but I would like it to sound good.

The Fiio E7, E17 or E18 DAC/Amps would be good for that.

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?MenuID=105026002

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT-770-32ohm.
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-...amic+dt-770+pro

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

They look like open DT-770's, do they have the same drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Shif posted:

What exactly is isolation? And I'm guessing soundstage is something along the lines of where the instruments are setup vs the direction in which you hear them?

Isolation is how much the phones reduce the noise around you, or how much they isolate you from that noise. Often it's measured in decibels so you can usually compare models, although you have to take that with a grain of salt because different ear tips have different isolation levels.