Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Budget - Under $300.
Source - Headphone output of a Marantz 2240 receiver and the headphone output of my Thinkpad (would consider an amp/DAC to correct this as long as it works with Linux). Vinyl, cassette, and digital are all in play.
Isolation Requirements - I have an air conditioner in my apartment about 5-6 months out of the year that makes it hard to listen to anything but loud, constant-ish level music on my main speaker setup; anything with strong dynamics is pretty much thrown out the window.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear. Prefer open because I don't like complete sound isolation at home.
Past Headphones: Currently have a set of Sennheiser HD555s at work which I love, albeit they're no longer being made. My current home pair is a set of HD497s that are borderline falling apart, and their sound pales in comparison to the 555s and I want to step up my home listening setup. I've heard of the 558 as the successor but I haven't heard anything specific about how they compare. I've tried the HD280s in the past and found them extremely uncomfortable; they make me feel like that exploding head GIF from Story of Ricky is about to happen on my skull.

In terms of what I'll be using them for, I listen to practically everything. lovely pop, rap, rock, funk, classical, jazz, harsh noise, techno, hell, even the occasional country tune. I don't know if any set of headphones would be ideal for all of these and more, but I definitely don't want some bass-centric monster unless I'm in a rap phase (and even then I'll probably make do).

I tend to sit on purchases for a long time before I make them (especially pricey ones like this) so it'll probably take me a long time to actually pull the trigger even if I know what I want. Any assistance would be appreciated.

edit: At some point, I'm probably going to buy some kind of new DAC for my laptop anyway as I'll be using it for music production as well, so consider that too I guess.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

If you enjoy the HD555 I believe the next logical step would be the HD650. You can find a used pair for under $300. The stipulation with these is that you're going to only power them to their potential through your receiver until you purchase an amp and DAC for the laptop.

Conversely, you could get the Sennheiser HD558 and foam mod them, which essentially turns them into the HD598 without the color/fake wood burl.

Another option, that I'm quite partial to, would be the Audio Technica Ad900x. They are brighter and have quicker decay than the HD555 though, so they might not have the weight/impact on some notes that you like about the HD555. They are easy to drive though.

Thanks for the recommendations. I may have to just pick up a new pair of the 558s and (maybe) mod them. The 650s sound righteous, but it'll be pretty hard for me to justify such a luxury purchase with probably having to buy a new laptop and some music gear and homebrew gear in the next 6 months.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Except for cables. Monoprice cables are tanks.

They look well-built on the surface but I would never use Monoprice instrument cables again. Incredibly microphonic to the point of being almost useless either on-stage or in the studio.