Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Anti-Hero posted:

Sorry, I did a poor job explaining. Sound bleed is OK because of my own office, I won't need to worry about it affecting other coworkers. Sound isolation is a big deal as there is so much ambient noise from coworkers having loud conversations in the hallways, abuse of the speakerphone, printers going off, etc.

You definitely want closed headphones then. If it bleeds out, it will generally bleed in just as much unless you've got them incredibly loud where it just doesn't matter at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

numbs posted:

ATH-M50s are the best possible headphones you can get in that price range. You won't be disappointed.

It really depends. I own Grado SR80i and ATH-M50s. They both serve entirely different purposes. The Grado is open, and sounds a lot better to me. So long as you're in a quiet-ish area like your home, they would work great. The M50s are closed. I can't hear anything outside, and no one can hear what I'm listening to. The sound quality is really good as well, but not quite as good as the Grados with the exception of bass. They are perfect for work environments and subways/planes/busses/etc.

This really also depends on the person and their ears, but, I find the Grados to be way more comfortable. Those pads feel like really cozy ear muffs. The M50s make my ears sweat, and hurt after an hour. I can wear the Grados with no comfort issues all day long. I bought the velvet pad replacements for the M50, and initially thought they were nice, but they really weren't. It does alter the sound, and didn't help my comfort issues either.

If I had $200 in my pocket today, I would go grab a pair of Sony MDR-1R. They dropped from $300 to $200 again. I auditioned a pair at a Sony store in Vegas and they blew me away, but they were $100 more than my budget allowed at the time. I ended up getting the M50s that were price matched at Guitar Center with an additional 10% off, so I got them for $80 before tax - It was a good deal. However, I'd go with the MDR-1R over the M50s any day of the week.

You can use Amazon to return stuff you're not sure about, and maybe someone who actually owns Sony MDR-1R can chime in about them.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 15, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I own a pair of Grado SR80e and love them. They are so comfy and the sound is amazingly balanced. I also own a pair of AT ATH-M40x and while they're a bit more on the low end side, they are pretty good but get uncomfortable after 30 minutes. My ears sweat or get annoyed. I bought velour pad replacements which didn't help.

What I REALLY want is the pads that my Grado has on them. I'm moving to a new work location and I want to bring in my ATH with me. I can't use Grados because they're open air, but I want to use those pads!

Does anyone sell any replacement pads for the ATH series that are just these Grado foam things? They gotta right? They're the cheapest materiel ever, but also the comfiest!

halp

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Philthy posted:

I own a pair of Grado SR80e and love them. They are so comfy and the sound is amazingly balanced. I also own a pair of AT ATH-M40x and while they're a bit more on the low end side, they are pretty good but get uncomfortable after 30 minutes. My ears sweat or get annoyed. I bought velour pad replacements which didn't help.

What I REALLY want is the pads that my Grado has on them. I'm moving to a new work location and I want to bring in my ATH with me. I can't use Grados because they're open air, but I want to use those pads!

Does anyone sell any replacement pads for the ATH series that are just these Grado foam things? They gotta right? They're the cheapest materiel ever, but also the comfiest!

halp

Found something that works.

Softies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljCPz6YxIvY

They feel as nice as my Grados. They were exactly what I was looking for. Yeah, it cancels out the "over the ear" but man, I can wear em all day long now.

Dont listen to the video, that guy is really annoying. I just posted because that pic is me right now.