Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Why are you selling the ODAC? I just bought one, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I need some cables for my Sennheiser HD 580s. They have the original cable for $25 on Amazon, but won't ship to Canada. Anyone know where I can get a reasonable headphone cable for a decent price? I keep finding $150+ hand made magic moon cables when I search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I'm thinking of buying a headphone amp to use with my Sennheiser HD 580s. They sound good when plugged into my stereo but my desktop computer's onboard audio doesn't deliver. I'd be using it at my desk only. I don't mind DIY options and I'd like to keep the price down.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I can hear computer noises with my external dac as well. I even tried moving it farther away and through a USB hub and plugging everything into different outlets. Computer noise was coming through my headphones and the sound would change from music paused to stopped and it would change depending on what my computer was working on. The amp I was using was super high gain though and not meant for headphones so I had the volume at under 10% and it was very loud.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

Does your USB cable have ferrite bumps? Can you try one that does?

It does have ferrite bumps. It's an ODAC, just the board version. It's connected to a stereo amp that's outputting to a big resistor and my headphones. It's not ideal at all.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Man, trying to hear the difference from one decent DAC to another is like trying to feel some talc powder under some gravel with your feet.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I just got a Magni 2 to use with my HD 580s and it makes all the difference in the world. The silent parts of songs are silent now, as in "you mas as well have the headphones unplugged" silent. Having an amp made a bigger difference that I thought. It's not just louder, it really does sound better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

I like to watch shows and movies on a phone or tablet while I'm playing games on my laptop. Is it possible to listen to the sound from both on a single set of headphones? Some sort of Y-cable/equivalent device would be ideal.

Get a cable to plug the headphone out into the line in on your laptop.