Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Mad Lupine posted:

Are the 80s and 225s that comparable? I really want to give the ad900s a shot but with this much on money on the line, and without being able to test them, I'm probably getting the 225s.

Also I know 5 years is really good for headphones as the ones I had before didn't last me half a year. My expectations were higher with these because a review I read said it lasted them 10. I guess I should take that with grain of salt; they probably weren't using them as often as I was mine.

Thanks Midorka!

I think the 225s sound great, but that's only really in comparison to Sennheiser's similarly priced options and the rest of the Grado line. The 225s are where you really start to have a full sound, and they're a substantial boost in quality over the 125s. The major downside for all of the Grados beyond the 80 (or whichever ones use the different ear cups that aren't as cushy) is the comfort, but when I demoed a bunch of headphones at a local shop the sound quality won out, for me. If you liked the 80s, you could always get a pair of the 125s and see - there's definitely a major increase in sound quality there, and it's less money to risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Mad Lupine posted:

drat I wish I waited a bit longer. I bit the bullet and bought the 225s. I'm liking the sound so far, but the comfort is an issue with these pads. I'm going to try them with the 60s pads and if the comfort is still an issue, I'll sell and try out the ad900. I really appreciate your input everyone. I'll let you know how everything goes.

The pads do break in and get more comfortable. My 325s were very uncomfortable at first, but now they're fine.

Make sure to sit the top of the ear cup over your ears with the fit extended all the way then close it down to fit if you aren't already.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Any opinions on Sennheiser Momentums? My requirements are a few posts above.

Really nice, but if isolation isn't a requirement you could probably find some better sounding headphones for the price.