Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Budget - Under $200.
Source - On board audio on macbook pro. Would possibly consider a dac/amp combo if it becomes a problem.
Isolation Requirements - Looking to block out constant air handler noise, possibly low office noise.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear.
Past Headphones - I've had 3x HD-280 Pro over the past few years. I really like these. Two of them died when the headband snapped, and my third is now dedicated to the office.

I'm looking for a set to use at home. The air conditioner in my apartment makes it difficult to hear any TV/Movies/Music, so this is my primary motivation for buying. My HD280 does a fine job for this, but I don't want to carry them to work and back home every day.
The hd280 series has been very dependable for me and I like them a lot. When I first purchased a pair they were a really sweet spot for price to performance. Now that I'm looking again, I am wondering if these have been defrocked from this price/performance throne.

I'm currently considering the Grado SR60i, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, and the trusty HD280 Pro. What others should I consider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

Budget - Under $200.
Source - On board audio on macbook pro. Would possibly consider a dac/amp combo if it becomes a problem.
Isolation Requirements - Looking to block out constant air handler noise, possibly low office noise.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear.
Past Headphones - I've had 3x HD-280 Pro over the past few years. I really like these. Two of them died when the headband snapped, and my third is now dedicated to the office.

I'm looking for a set to use at home. The air conditioner in my apartment makes it difficult to hear any TV/Movies/Music, so this is my primary motivation for buying. My HD280 does a fine job for this, but I don't want to carry them to work and back home every day.
The hd280 series has been very dependable for me and I like them a lot. When I first purchased a pair they were a really sweet spot for price to performance. Now that I'm looking again, I am wondering if these have been defrocked from this price/performance throne.

I'm currently considering the Grado SR60i, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, and the trusty HD280 Pro. What others should I consider?

So I ended up buying the ATH-M50s. I'm initially liking them; pretty comfortable. They're very different than the HD280-Pros in that these are pretty 'bassy' in comparison. I don't know if this is good or bad, but I like having some bass response!
They're also pretty adequate at cancelling out background noise while still being relatively quiet volume levels.
I'm thinking it was a good purchase.