Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don't know if there's a thread where I'll have more luck with this question, but does anyone know a place to get a good deal on custom-molded earplugs? I like how Etymotics plugs let some highs through for a more natural, less muffled concert experience, but my ears are so small that even their "baby blue" versions cause pain.

The lab that made my custom IEMs doesn't keep molds, and after 4 years, I assume my doctor-made impressions are no longer accurate enough due to shrinkage and maybe ear changes.

Are earplugs closer to a "commodity product" than IEMs, so maybe I can find a local place to both take impressions and make plugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
St. Louis or Kansas City. I've put in emails to the Ety dealer listed for both cities, but haven't gotten a response in just over a day, and Ety doesn't seem to list prices online for their custom plugs.

Alien Ears did a decent job with my IEMs, and they've got plugs that *appear* to use Ety filters for $130, plus the ~$40 I'll pay a doc for impressions.

UE has a pair for $170 and I think I remember hearing that they archive molds, so I could save a step if I want some of their IEMs win the next 10 years, but I don't know that I'd ever benefit there.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sean_Miller posted:

Do I need to show proof of purchase with Sennheiser if I go that route? Are they a good enough company to replace it sight unseen? The only company I've had such luck with was Camelbak.

They'll sell you a cable, no problem. They don't really do free replacements on wear items no matter where you got them.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don't think anyone is asking for a "flat" that's synonymous with "dull." I think it's more thinking that there's a perfect "what goes in is exactly what comes out." Whether that's actually desirable in speakers or headphones for enjoyable listening is debatable.

Also, not everyone wants live band bass all the time. Lots of really good live recordings have the bass seriously rolled off to make them better suited for listening at home.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
How'd they verify ownership? I'm sure I never sent in a warranty card.

(re: portapros)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You mean Grado, right? There's a piece of felt on the back side of the drivers protecting the membrane from dust and such. You'll be fine as long as you're careful and not creating a big positive air pressure in the cavity.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
"Low impedance" isn't a positive or a negative attribute and take headphone nut sites with a grain of salt.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There's a disc from Stax floating around meant to demonstrate how a detailed stereo headphone can reproduce "head-related transfer functions" so your brain places sounds in 3 dimensions. It's pretty cool; you end up feeling like your in the middle of a room full of Germans, able to pinpoint exactly where each one is standing. Sometimes I get the same feeling from really good binaural bootlegs.

But yea, 3D sounds can be reproduced with two channel headphones, and is sometimes done very well. There's software to mimic HRTFs, but not being a gamer, I've got no idea how well it's implemented.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

kedo posted:

Hmmm, well maybe I should continue looking into some surround headsets in that case!

No one has responded to your question with anything about "5.1" headsets, only stereo headphones so far.

I really hate that they're calling those "5.1." Isn't there a better marketing word? The headsets clearly don't have an odd number of drivers.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

notZaar posted:

Jesus christ, 60 bucks and all I want is a volume knob. Maybe I'll just buy a potentiometer and solder one up myself.

At least buy a nice pot like an Alps rk097 or "Blue Velvet." Expect to pay at least $20 for the latter, but cheap stereo pots can cause bad channel imbalances at lower volumes

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Incredulous Dylan posted:

That and some pirated episode of VEEP started off with the loudest loving white noise I ever heard in my life (imagine HBO intro as loud as your headphones could play). My current headphones then had a very loud, high pitched constant tone coming out of them for more than 10 minutes or so when I would try them after unplugging, restarting everything, etc. Things seems to be back to normal but I could swear I am hearing some background noise now during isolated parts of pieces in the higher ranges.

That's not a failure mode of passive headphones. Don't throw them away.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Where can I buy nice, fancy-looking RCA cables without paying for $100 "interconnects?" The Monoprice "premium" cables have way more negative reviews than I'm used to seeing there.

I finally got a nice listening spot set up and bought a 6x6 source/destination switch, so I'm excited to get all my sources and headphone amps wired up for easy switching. I realize the benefits are largely psychological, but I'd still like to ditch all my cheap pack-in cables.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Really? Where are you getting that? I just popped on their website and the many reviews seemed overwhelmingly 5-star. I can't imagine they'd be particularly bad, given that cables are Monoprice's bread and butter. What do you want to use them for?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021814&p_id=5346&seq=1&format=4#feedback

As I scan the first page of reviews, I see lots of complaints about tight connector fit and brittle connectors breaking.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Are you willing to go USB, or does your existing sound card have a digital output? That opens up a lot of good options.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Even something like the fiio e10 could be sufficient.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Previous Jesus posted:

I got the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones a few months ago after a recommendation from this thread and while I really enjoyed them, it appears something is starting to go wrong with them now. When I'm walking around and listening to music on my phone (in my pocket) sometimes the sound will go out in the left ear and then come back. I'd guess this means it's a problem with the cable? Is it feasible to replace the cable or something or should I just get new headphones?

Do you know anyone handy with a soldering iron? It's not terribly difficult with parts from Radioshack, and I think soldering is a good skill to have, but I can't say whether its worth your time.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you want to fix them, the break is most likely near the connector. You could try to pinpoint it, and chop off the connector right before the break, then solder on another. The problem there is that these small cables use enameled wire instead of plastic insulation. The enamel has to be melted off before it can be soldered to, and that can be tricky.

If you want to replace the whole cable, disassemble the ear cups and solder new wire directly to the drivers. There are lots of how-tos on recabling headphones. Best results are with 4-conductor microphone cable, which may be difficult to source locally.

Hey, they're already broken. Why not try?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Try bending it through your fingers until the problem happens.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Yuns posted:

you are right. It is 10c and 5c not hz. I feel a bit better about my results but the loss of 18k+ scares me

You're not using calibrated headphones like an audiologist would test with. Who knows how much sound yours are actually producing above 18k.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You're talking about a mixer. The cheapest and easiest way will be to get analog audio from your game system into an input on your laptop and use a software mixer.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Those are really advanced projects to jump into if it's really your first time. Jeff at GlassJarAudio.com has some nice complete kits for some of the designs you mentioned, and a few others if you want a warmup.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I felt completely insane trying to order the re-released Grado mahogany box for $99. For some reason it as the $17 domestic shipping that finally stopped me.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Amazon charges return shipping if your dissatisfaction isn't their fault, correct?

I think I got charged when I changed my mind on some DT770s, in fact.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I see a picture of some Sonys with mediocre isolation and some industrial ear muffs.

Active noise cancellation works best on constant noises like a jet engine just because of how active cancellation works. Passive isolation is never going to put you in complete silence if there's enough going on around you --some sound is still transmitted through your head bones.

...What's the question?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I spent $300 on "Alien Ears" dual driver model plus $30 on professional impressions and they've held up great flying with them weekly for 4 years.

Their website is completely stupid, and the IEMs don't look quite as polished some of the big guns, but the cheap options are pretty limited and I had a hard time spending big bucks on something with zero resale value.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

guppy posted:

My parents are going to be spending something like 36 hours on airplanes and asked me if I knew of any good noise-cancelling IEMs. I don't know if that's even a thing outside of Bose and they don't want to pay the $300 or whatever that Bose is asking. I'm guessing it's not possible to satisfy all of these criteria but are there any acceptable noise-cancelling IEMs at or below an $80 price point?

Pretty much all IEMs that fit well are as noise "blocking" as earplugs and that's really what you want on a plane. Even at the lowest volume my phone can output, if there's anything playing, I can't hear anything. Even the flight attendant talking right in my face.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Enough with the jokes. He needs interconnects.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The middle Sennheisers in the last post: I bought a pair for my dad last year. Range is pretty good and covers basically their whole upstairs through several walls. I haven't listened to them critically, but there was very slight hiss. If thats going to bother you, I'd step up a model or two up to the digital version.

My dad loves them though. He went and bought my mom an identical pair so they can sit in bed and watch TV at different volumes. It's kind of cute.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anyone know of any Bluetooth IEM's that either only have one one IEM included, or can be separated and used with only one IEM at a time? I'd like to avoid getting a Bluetooth headset if I can, and I only really need a single ear IEM to pair with my phone to listen to podcasts at work.

Any of the style with the horseshoe that sits on your neck. Just leave one ear "docked" in the horseshoe. I'd probably opt for hacking one ear off a cheap wired pair, though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0131208163809:s

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The batteries and wireless hardware have to go somewhere.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Shogunner posted:

Soooo incase anyone was wondering, Beyer has ALL the spare parts available via their phoneline. You can order them individually too. Just got the front left plastic bit for the sliders on my 770s since there was a crack. 2bux.

Also, retarded pimp, I'll do that comparison later today.

What's the process like? I have a broken DT280 that I'd love to fix, but when I pursued parts via email I gave up and shoved the headset in a closet.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Panel-mount mini jacks right on the ear cups work nicely if you don't care about your warranty. There won't be a difference in fidelity.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The M50s have a strong mid bass conducive to the kind of hip hop the Beats crowd likes. I think that makes them sound cramped, but I think the OP tends to wax hyperbolic whenever they're mentioned.

I use them professionally in situations where I used to grab 280pros or mdr7506s for a decent throw around with some isolation.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WarpZealot posted:

I got the ultimate ears TripleFi 10vi when they were 100$ on Amazon in 2009. The wire near the plug is starting to wear out, so sometimes the left ear breaks up when the wire is moved around. How should I go about repairing this and how much will it cost me? Should I just repair it myself or go to a shop or something?

Emailing UE is your best bet.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 20, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Listerine posted:

I got a pair of grado 225i headphones as a gift; is there any kind of adapter available that will let me use them with the smaller audio out on my iPod?

http://www.4ourears.net/Grado_Mini_Adaptor_Cable_p/4e-miniad.htm?gclid=CNCi4eb2zLsCFSvl7AodAxYAaA

Lots of them exist, but the grado one is actually pretty well-built, but not very compatible with the small openings in phone cases. Just make sure to get an adaptor with cable in the middle rather than something rigid like this as it will definitely break your phone in no time:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/397819.html

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Midorka posted:

Your Grados have a 3.5mm jack, they have a big adapter on them right now making them larger. Take it off.

Grados above the SR80 come terminated in a 1/4" with no screw-on adapter. They're not meant to be portable, after all.

My RS-1 came bundled with the $15 floppy-cabled adapter I posted earlier, but that may have been a dealer promo.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Yep. 60 and 80 have had a mini connector for a while, but everything above the sr80 has always been a sturdy 1/4"

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What about Bluetooth, or something like that Sony SRH20 adapter that keeps coming up on the last few pages? As a bonus you'd get handy volume and playback controls.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It's digital. Quality sets use quality codecs and sound pretty good. I've gotta few sets that vary in range, but they're all strong enough that I can leave my phone on a table and move about a room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
$33 shipped from B&H on the first page of google.