Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Endgame? Have you gone through the electrostatic zealot phase?

There's always more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I grabbed that Sony SBH20, but the range is just awful. It's sitting on the desk less than two feet from my stationary iPhone, but I'm still getting audio dropouts.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

japtor posted:

Weird, I used it in my kitchen a while back and got decent range out of it. Hooked it up now to my computer speakers and tossed my iPhone to my bed, it's sitting about 10 feet away now and still playing fine. Don't have any wacky metal case or anything for your iPhone, or maybe some other wireless interference or something?

I exchanged the SBH20 for a new one.

iPhone in my pocket, sbh20 clipped to my tshirt using the provided buds (in case the short wire doubles as an antenna)

In the empty gym with no wifi I had 4 audio dropouts in 10 minutes on the treadmill.

Considering I can get an easy 30 feet of range out of this phone and a no-name headset, I can't recommend the Sony thing.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What preamp is this?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

That's not a headphone output. It kind of works because your headphones are fairly low-impedance, but it's not meant to.

Use the RCA jacks into a headphone amp or receiver.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You're going to have a hard time finding a standalone headphone amp that provides the RIAA equalization necessary to make records sound right.

Phono preamps like the one you have, and phono inputs on receivers have this EQ applied internally. You could still use the preamp you have in conjunction with a headphone amp.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 5, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

I have no experience with that unit, but it seems to have the features you'd need to go from a turntable to headphones (though it's very expensive for what it is.)

However, you've already got a phono preamp. Why not get a more standard headphone amp that you can also use with other non-vinyl sources too?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

beergod posted:

Need some help guys. I have my magni hooked up with RCA cables to the zone 2 output on my receiver. I have a turntable running through a preamp into the RCA inputs on the receiver.

I'm not getting any sound out of the headphones when plugged into the amp at all. It hums a little when I turn the volume all the way up but no sound at all.

My receiver manual is above if thats helpful. What should I do?

"Zone 2" is an independent output from your receivers main speakers. It's meant, for example, to play a DVD through your home theater speakers while listening to the receivers radio tuner on a second set of speakers off in a kitchen, or in your case, through the headphone amp.

With that in mind, you need to figure out how to route audio to the Zone 2 output. On mine you push the front panel button for the zone you want to control, then pick a source. There's also a little zone slider switch on my remote.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

beergod posted:

Sony receivers are beyond unituitive holy gently caress.

I hit a random button on my receiver remote and it randomly turned on. My god this sounds incredible.

My understanding is the zone 2 will only output analog signals. So how would I listen to the Digital inputs through the headphones? I'm getting the signal from my turntable right now. Do I need a DAC or am I misunderstanding something?

Once a digital signal goes into the receiver, the DAC in the receiver spits an analog signal out. The receiver is your DAC and that's all right.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

beergod posted:

I think it might be time to upgrade to a tube amp. What's good?

Slow down and enjoy the music.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Diminishing returns come fairly quickly. I work behind this with lots of very expensive toys:

But I never feel like I'm missing anything with a modestly-priced setup at home.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 9, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Probably easier to just get a cheap tube amp. Tubes aren't expensive or mysterious.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You can also spend $200 on some thing from china. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221178245274

Realize that audio tubes emit almost no light. That Hollywood glow comes from LEDs wedged underneath.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

xgp15a-ii posted:

In a very dark room, the tube light is enough to feel significant, even if it looks like nothing under sunlight. I don't really know of any amps that have LEDs built into them.

LEDs:

A lot of tube sockets have a rivet that can be drilled out up the middle, just the perfect size for an orange LED.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
In that context, a preamp would be for using with a speaker amp without a volume control. (A "power amp" versus an "integrated amp" or receiver.) The headphone amp would double as your speaker volume control.

You don't need it with your receiver.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 18, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Use a plain USB cable with your computer. The Fiio is your external soundcard+amp.

With your iOS devices, just use a mini-mini cable into the analog-in on the Fiio.

I think you can technically use the lightning-to-USB camera connection kit, but it's expensive and that's a lot of adapters to carry. If you really want to try it, be warned that Apple has severely limited the power available from the port so a lot of devices don't work. Buy the adapter somewhere you can return it easily. iDevices tend to have pretty decent analog outputs, so I wouldn't bother.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 19, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Nothing at all wrong with optical if you've got it. In fact I've got a DAC that will do 24bit playback over optical, but only 16bit over USB, so optical would be the preferred connection if you have digital sources above CD quality.

I imagine there's other equipment with that limitation since most USB DACs are designed around the same few popular chips.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hosed up a pair of jvcs by bending the plug. I'm planning on getting a replacement plug and soldering it on. Does the plug brand/design matter, or is it going to be all on my soldering either way?

Anything that costs more than $0.50 is going to be functional. Maybe at least $10 at RadioShack.

Switchcraft, Neutriks or Amphenol are all good name brands if they're available.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 25, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
That's a pretty wide-open question. Check the OP?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Just thought I'd let you guys know that the Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm Pro model has been on sale for a while at an incredibly low price of 140-150usd!

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ/

They discounted the 770 Pro 250 as well. http://slickdeals.net/f/6707796-beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-250ohm-headphones-132-99-fs-at-amazon

Out of stock now, but they may take backorders.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm honestly surprised Sennheiser hasn't killed off the HD-25 completely.

Last year they discontinued the HMD-25 (the same phones plus a sportscaster microphone) and replaced them with the *completely awful* HMD-26.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I

Xik posted:

These are the "fluffy"/cloth cups that I like:

I think this is something similar too right? Is there a name for this style?

The material on those pads is generally called "velour." Beyer uses it a lot too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Xik posted:

I've just been looking up youtube videos explaining and demonstrating the difference between open and closed since I didn't really understand it. I like being "cut off" from outside noise and don't want to annoy the other people I live with so I think closed are more suitable.

Thanks, you're right! Most of the Beyer ones look super comfortable. The problem is that all the suitable headphones from them I can find suppliers for here (NZ) seem to only stock the ones that are out of my price range.

I mean, look how loving comfortable these things look, drat, this is exactly what I'm looking for:

Looking at Sennheiser, all the over ear, "velour" ones are open. I am going through the buyers guide linked in the OP, but since my highest priority is comfort and the material of the cup, it's really tedious with no in-line images.

Does what I'm looking for even exist or will I have to make a compromise on something? I don't think I can compromise on the cups or spend more so it will probably have to be on the "closed" part.

I don't know what's available, or pricing where you are. Those Beyer DT-770s have been on sale at Amazon a lot lately.

Sennheiser sells velour replacement pads for a few models. I know they do for the HD-25 series. The HD-25-SP is the budget version (a little cheaper headband) if that interests you.

Velour pads for the Beyer DT-250 fit on the Sennheiser HD-280s well as the Sony V6 and MDR-7506.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Xik posted:

Those DT-770's are actually on sale now at Amazon. With the sale price and shipping to New Zealand they would actually come within my price range at $188 USD (~$230 NZD). For comparison, to get them over here they would cost almost $350 NZD :911:.

On the buying guide it's marked as [3], stating an amp is required. Lots of other reviews also suggest the same. So I'm guessing they aren't going to be suitable, any opinions?

Also, what's the differences 250 OHM Pro version and 80 OHM Pro?

I'm currently wearing the 990 Pros, which should fit just like the 770s, and they feel great on my average-size head.

The 770s come in like 10 different versions, several being mostly cosmetic differences. Beyer is crazy like that. The "Pro" models which are most often discounted come in 4 impedances: 32, 80, 250 and 600. By all accounts, they all sound pretty similar.

The 600 is tough to drive period. The 250 takes full volume on an iPod just to get to a comfortable listening level. The 80 is probably the most popular. It can be driven by a portable player or most any amp. The 32 is what Beyer recommends if you're primarily using a portable player or other weak source.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 17, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hallowed Turban posted:

Anyone got advice on burning in IEMs?

Listen to them like a normal person.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
^ The DT-880s come in several impedances. I discussed it in the last few pages.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hamelekim posted:

I feel the same way about my Shure SHR 1540's. I listened to the 650 too and they were both great. I needed a closed can though.

I am lusting after the Shure SE 846 iem now. 1000 dollars is a lot of money
but you get three sound signatures for that price so... It is still ridiculously priced but they will be mine some day.

For that much money, an IEM better be custom-molded. There's no going back to universals.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Pappyland posted:

I'd like something that performs well with audio above 44.1Khz as I'm looking to get more into FLAC/HDTracks

Don't get hung up on this. Detail is detail. The signal is analog well before it gets to the headphones.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Even with open headphones, you're going to have to keep the volume pretty low if you're trying to completely follow conversations around you.

So, I guess if that's ok with you, if wont be loud enough to leak out badly.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Has anyone seen these EarHeros things in person? It literally looks like they took a single IEM driver and put it into hard plastic cube to be inserted into your ear.

For $150. Because they're designed by a doctor.

"My product has being getting bad reviews. Yes they sound bad. They're supposed to. Because there's no seal. Because that's safer. Because I'm a doctor."

http://www.earhero.com/the-product

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

grack posted:

They also have limited EQ headroom due to being balanced armatures instead of dynamics.

Please explain.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Fat Care-Bear posted:

How are you suppose to keep your IEMs when not using it then? or do you just not bring expensive ones outside with you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Case-Logic-Hard-Shell-Medium-Camera-Case-Black/20678985

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Treating them nice can go a long way. I've been using the same pair of custom IEMs since 2008. Flying, running, lawn-mowing. Original cables and all.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WugLyfe posted:

The Zapper would approve. Velour is often a good choice if you wear glasses too, fwiw.

Contacts are a good choice if you wear glasses.

I went on a huge headphone-buying spree after I finally ditched the frames.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Midorka posted:

Now I have a question for you: Why wouldn't any wireless headphone accept a stream using the apt-X or AAC codecs as long as your media player can? I'm not versed in wireless, I actively avoid them after demoing a few, but from my understanding you use whatever media player you want. Therefore whatever codecs your media player can play, then your headphones will receive the signal. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

You realize that there's a huge difference between pre-BT analog wireless headphones and Bluetooth, which is digital, right?

And you realize that there are different ways to arrange and compress the ones and zeros transmitted between the player and the headphones? I'm not talking about whatever compression your source files use -mp3, AAC, weird OGG, whatever.

There are several standards with varying levels of quality. Some make fidelity concessions to allow bandwidth for a mic. Some knock down the signal rate and thus the fidelity for better range, battery life or just lower cost.

APT-X is one of the more Hi-Fi modes.

So, I don't know when you tried a few old RF headphones and dismissed wireless as ever being a usable technology, but quality is improving and will continue to do so.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I wanted to try a pair of knockaround noise-canceling phones for air travel. As great as the isolation is with IEMs, sometime I get some fatigue and head pressure.

I grabbed these:

NoiseHush I7 Active Noise-Cancelling Headphones - Retail Packaging - Black/Silver by NoiseHush http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BSXRBGE/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_J.vAtb12C4KQ8

and spent the last day ABing them against the QC15s they obviously ripped off.

Conclusion: neither offers the level of isolation I'm used to with IEMs, but everything the Bose pair cancels, the Noisehush pair cancels just about as well. Based on their performance in that regard, I think it would be crazy to spend the Bose money.

Sound quality wise, they're different. Any way I'd describe the differences would be subjective and absolute sound quality isn't why you buy ANC anyway.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 6, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ultimate Mango posted:

If you get fatigue and head pressure with IEMs something isn't right. I ended up over the years amassing quite a tip collection as I sought to improve fit and isolation and got to the point where I could go full international without removing my iems.

Have you considered a custom fit iem? I made the leap late last year and would have a hard time going back now. So comfortable and good isolation. I may try a custom fit silicone set for even more isolation but the acrylic customs I have now are fine for even 10+ hour flights.

And for the record I went from the Bose ANC stuff to iems, so I get the journey and what you are looking for...

I have customs. Had them for several years and they're still a good fit.

They seal so well that sometimes my ears don't seem to adjust with cabin pressure changes. I'm tired of having to unscrew them from my head periodically to normalize or to tell the sky waitress I don't want any drat peanuts.

These things are nice like comfy earmuffs for the short (often turboprop) flights I take.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Just FYI, there are a lot of counterfeit headphones on eBay and some of them are nearly indistinguishable.

Not saying you got taken, just be careful and verify dealers.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Do the retro looks of the Grado SR60 suit her personality? I can imagine Cake would sound good through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Grado just dropped the "i" designation from their entire line and replaced it with an "e" (as in SR60e).

Still waiting to find out what that actually means besides, "more refined and just better."