Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

wolrah posted:

I don't know if this is the best thread for this but I feel like people who are in to headphones will at least know where to start.

I'm looking for recommendations of ear protection to wear at concerts.

I was bad in my teens and 20s and definitely did some damage which I've begin to notice in my 30s. I have tickets to the Rammstein show in a few months so I'm looking for something that will save my ears and be comfortable for a few hours of use while still letting me hear the show clearly.

I've seen Vibes and Loop discussed a lot online, and I also see Etymotics has some offerings. I'm pretty sure I see them mentioned here regularly in the context of IEMs so I'm assuming they have some relevant knowledge. Will one of these companies' $25-35 products be noticeably better than a set of the cheap disposable ones I have for yard work?

Ety plugs are good enough that I had a custom set molded, but the $15 ones universal ones are just fine. Ive never tried any of those other brands, but they all look pretty close to the same thing. Once your ears adjust, they're a pretty flat attenuation compared to foam plugs that make everything sound dull and muffled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ok Comboomer posted:

was there ever a consensus on 6XX vs 58X or is the consensus just “if you care enough to ask us about it, you should probably have both you nerd”?

I own both. If you stay off headfi, either one is a good choice.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve given Grado a lot of money over the years, but they’re not the people I’d be asking about Bluetooth. I wonder which Alibaba factory actually designed those.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

redeyes posted:

PSA: after testing a LOT of iems, amps.. I have to recommend anyone that cares about natural organic sound, get an AK based DAC. I can a/b/x test Sabre 10/10 times and tried it over the last 3 days. I cant stand Sabre dacs, even my most expensive one. My least expensive AK dac beats it sounding more realistic and nicer and more musical.

*shrug*

I’m going to argue that in modern equipment, the implementation matters a lot more than dac chip.

For example, I trust the engineers at RME to know what they’re doing. The ADI-2 DAC had phenomenal specs when it was released with an AKM dac chip inside.

The AKM factory had a total fire in late 2020. There’s still a massive disruption. Lots of gear that I rely on professionally has either been redesigned or is simply unavailable.

RME revised the ADI-2 DAC to use an ESS Sabre chip and their published SNR and THD specs improved. They say “ADI-2 DACs with AK4493 and ES9028Q2M are neither sonically nor visually easily distinguishable.”

If anyone would be complaining, it’s Head-Fi nerds who spent $1300 on a dac, but I haven’t seen any change in the praises sung to the ADI-2.

Here’s an RME engineer explaining their change from AKM to ESS in the ADI-2 dac. https://youtu.be/43kkU49sRLo

This feels a little like a “Ford vs Chevy” argument since both manufacturers (when they were in full production) made chips to hit different market segments)

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 7, 2022

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Any of you ever listened to Siamese Dream on a pair of Grados? Mayonaise is so good.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I got these Shure wireless se210s as a gift, and as much as I appreciate it, they just lose so hard to the AirPods in form factor and convenience.

I’m amazed at how good the Pro2’s are for their size. The Shure charging case doesn’t fit in my pocket and they’ve got grapes hanging behind my ears.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’m sure I looked like a huge dork, but I tried wearing AirPod Pros with “adaptive transparency” activated at a concert last night.

I think it was good? With the pods in, it felt like nothing was happening and the volume was still fairly loud, but when I popped the pods out, it was *uncomfortably* loud without them.

I’m not sure if I would count on it for longterm protection because the pods didn’t seem to have a fast enough attack to completely tame loud transients, but I felt like I was enjoying more of the music than I usually do with Eth-Plugs

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It wasn’t a situation where hearing protection was strictly required, but they did a drat good job at keeping me comfortable without losing the shimmery highs that musicians plugs usually ruin.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Ok mom. I own and use Ety Plugs. I’m just excited at how well Apple Adaptive Transparency does what it’s advertised to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Look at the DT770 vs the DT990

Almost the same form factor, same pads, same clamp, open vs closed

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 5, 2023