Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does anyone know whether you can run high impedance headphones on a Xonar DX soundcard? I'm wondering because I've just gotten me some cheap MDR-V55 from Sony and the output volume's set to 9% only and it's already slightly more than loud enough. So I'm wondering if you can drive headphones that'd need an amplifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh okay. I thought, given the fuzz made on release of the Xonar series in regards to those big rear end opamps, that the card had an amplifier.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Back in the day when the Xonars were released, everyone still caring about soundcards jumped on them, one reason being Creative's ineptness to deal with 44.1Khz. Now it turns out that Asus is being dumb, too? Motherfucker!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Consolation for using onboard Realtek to power my HD 650s :smug:
Researching this further, the Hydrogenaudio spergs say that this only really affects the Xonars with headphone amps. On the other ones, it just raises the noise floor by 4-5dB, which means essentially poo poo, because it's already at around 116dB on the front output (at least on mine).

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Thanks for this! I upsampled my music to 48k and it sounds identical to when I had it as ASIO/WASAPI. Could never figure out why, all things considered!
The output API has nothing to do with the 44.1KHz noise issue. Actually, playing a single stream via DirectX and WASAPI shared mode outputs exactly the same thing as WASAPI exclusive mode, assuming you didn't mess with the application specific volume slider.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 19, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I sprung some money for some MDR-V55 from Sony some time ago, and while they sound nice, I learned the hard way that supraaurals are annoying to wear. So some MDR-1R V2 have to replace them, based on the performance of the V55. I hope that's a good choice.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

How do you like them? I fell absolutely in love with their sound profile a few weeks ago.

Which lead me to spring for their little brother today, the MDR-10RBTs. They'll be coming in Saturday, I'm really excited.
Only got them today. Initial impressions are pretty good. It's rather neutral bass wise (in my opinion, anyway) and lots more treble details compared to the V55 (might be new-gear related placebo).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

My Sony MDR-1R came with two cords, one with an inline mike and remote and one without. Would that inline remote affect the signal in anyway? The cord without is broken and I don't really want to send the headphones back if the other one is just fine to begin with.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are there any IEMs with Apple Lightning connector out or to be released soon, that I should be aware of? Nothing with noise cancellation or anything, just some earbuds, some better inline DAC an optional plus.

I've an iPhone 7 inbound over the next week, and I'd like some isolating IEMs that connect natively and not without a connector. I've been fond of the Sony MDR range of IEMs, because I like generally their more pronounced basses, and they work well with the sort of electronic music I listen to. Something similar would be nice, ideally from Sony themselves. No Bluetooth, I'd prefer no additional degradation over the compression already applied to the audio files (also, I'll probably forget to charge them all the time).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How big is the audible difference between the Airpods Pro 1 and 2? Generally and the ANC specifically. I'm mostly curious, because I'm about need new in-ears, and since I'm knee-deep in the Apple ecosystem, might as well replace my aging Galaxy Buds with something from the other camp. I'm primarily interested in the Beats Fit Pro, because also running and such, and they're de facto Airpods Pro 1.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've been looking at bone conducting headphones. Primarily loosely looking ahead at the next solo ski vacations, to have both some music and situational awareness, but I guess I could need them for bike rides, too. I know of the Shokz ones. Any other brands worthwile investigating? Ideally some that can reproduce some bass, if that's even possible with this tech.

I quickly tried some older ones at work from a coworker, they were still labelled Aftershokz. Seemed OK, but it wasn't any kind of electronic music that was played.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

if you tried the aeropex/open run you've tried the best bone conduction headset on the market. I don't think any of the knockoffs on amazon are as good but they're also $35 instead of $180. I don't think the technology is there yet, if it is even possible, to make them into good music listening headphones
I got the OpenRun Pro from Shokz, because they were said to have the most bass response. And they were reduced 33% on Amazon's Prime Day.

I saw a review at RTings, where they showed frequency response graphs. I tried to replicate them with the parametric EQ in Audition and tried some favorite songs of mine. It sounded rather tinny. I risked it anyways and got the headphones now. The bass response is way better than the simulation.

I guess the frequency response graphs weren't representative, with what trying to measure these on a binaural microphone on a plastic head, which isn't exactly a human head in regards to materials and conduction thereof.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

njsykora posted:

Those actual headphone measuring rigs aren't just binaural mics in a frame, they're pretty hardcore advanced with efforts to simulate the ear canal and how sound actually travels. Crinacle did a huge video some time ago talking about how they work, all the standards that go into them and how they differ from the ASMR mics like the KU100.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc__cF6i2mw
Neat. However what I gather from this video, it's about the ear canals. I don't see anything that helps in regards to measuring bone conduction.

Either way, I'm glad these things sound better than anticipated. At least good enough for running and snowboarding. For the rest, I still have my Airpods Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The waves need to travel a bit through skin and I presume some bone, with what being called bone conducting headphones, to reach the ear canal structure. Those rigs don't have these structures replicated?