Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

redeyes posted:

You might find that Moondrop is not all that for a ton of people

you would do better just saying "i don't like moondrop, here's why"

you don't need to back it up with the approval of an unnamed "ton of people", just sayin. you're obsessive about iems, you review and dismantle them for kicks, your opinion is informed, even if controversial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

redeyes posted:

Thanks for the advice buttercup. I talk to hundreds of people about IEMs and over the years, probably more than that. Things have evolved in the 'hobby'.

are you modeling your personality after hbb or something? i was trying to pay you a compliment lol jesus.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

redeyes posted:

sorry, i have covid and don't feel that good. Moondrop is not doing that well now for awhile in terms of people really being hyped on price to performance. They are expensive for no good reason. Then we got Stellaris which is a turd, we got their ultra heavy metal shells on the low end DDs, and the upper stuff is good but also expensive as F.

for the record, i agree with all that for the most part and im sorry you got the 'vid, that loving sucks. get better soon!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Manager Hoyden posted:

• Plugging wireless headsets that have a transparency mode into the controller using an audio cable. This would have been great; it's a perfect solution on mobile. It didn't work because every single pair of wireless headphones on the market that has a 3.5mm connection option will not turn on while using it, as far as I've seen. Sure, audio plays and may even sound good but mics don't work (without a mic-in cable anyway) but more importantly features like transparency mode aren't available.
  • Using the Skull & Co. Audiobox to jerryrig Bluetooth support into the $500 modern piece of hardware. No dice because the audiobox bafflingly doesn't support audio input over Bluetooth. Sure, it has its own mic but it is so awful it shouldn't be used by a human in any circumstances. Unusable.
  • Having half a dozen people buy the Arctis Nova Pro Wireless. Yeah it has a transparency mode but there is no way we're going to spend just shy of two grand, especially for a headset that is astronomically overpriced for its quality.

Any ideas?

Don't worry about transparency modes, mix your mics into the headsets. What you're describing is basically a live monitor setup for a concert, and it might take some confusing routing to make it work but it's entirely doable. Look at cheap or prosumer headphone distribution setups, behringer is a decent brand to start with.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think there aren't any solutions short of going really crazy with a mixer and a monitor mix and even then you need to route the audio from the consoles and the mics to the mixer, so ultimately it's also going to be like a whole bunch of channels and cables, at that point you're pretty much making an entire studio setup.

Maybe going the other direction from transparency and getting headphones with more isolation could maybe mitigate some of that 'hearing each other locally' factor. Maybe there are also some more flexible solutions possible using third party voice apps but I think that as long as the console is the source for the game audio here you're kinda screwed.

basically this, but much less fatalistic because it'll be confusing at first to set up but not that expensive ultimately.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

wolrah posted:

There's no great solution to the lag between someone speaking in the same room and hearing them over voice chat though.

yah there is, just mix their local feed back into the headphones rather than monitoring the discord.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zorak of Michigan posted:

In my experience the latency added by the app is considerable, so you need really good isolation for this not to be a serious nuisance. Or, I guess, just mind it less than I do.

yeah that's why you have a local monitor mix lol.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Nystral posted:

I've been told my ATH-M50X cans are too distracting on video calls. I'm looking for all day wear, balanced IEMs in that up to $150 range, I prefer wired as I daisy-chain the 3.5mm plug off my Yeti Mic.

I'm kind of at a loss of what to look for. Any pointers things to look at?

sure, there are lots of great options. what kind of music are you into?

i'd look into (in no particular order): sennheiser ie200, tangzu zetian wu, truthear hexa, dunu kima, letshouer s12

qirex posted:

e: also it's not healthy for your ears to have the canals sealed up all day every day.

i've been wearing iems all day every day for years, what should i be looking out for here? can you link some info about what you're concerned about?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
chu is a nice iem but is definitely bass light and also the cable is not removable. that used to be not a big deal at the price point but the zero and hola exist so....

Nystral posted:

This literally will be for zoom calls, all music and podcasts are played off other devices. I guess I need to hear their voice as clear as possible? My existing tours are good, but I'd prefer an over the ear loop with a more custom cable length of ~5' / 1.5M like my M50x has currently.

you should not spend 100+ on iems then! get the salnotes zero or truthear hola! truthear also makes an iem called the zero but it's twice as expensive, it's all very confusing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

eddiewalker posted:

It wasn’t a situation where hearing protection was strictly required, but they did a drat good job at keeping me comfortable without losing the shimmery highs that musicians plugs usually ruin.

if it was uncomfortably loud without the airpods in it was inarguably a situation where hearing protection was required. it's an interesting anecdote but like, don't do that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zero VGS posted:

These wireless adapters are just powerful enough to drive the A40's as loud as I can handle, which are apparently 48 Ohm impedance speakers. Am I right to assume that if I tried these adapters on an "audiophile" headset with higher ohms, it would be too quiet, but if I try them on something like say the "beyerdynamic DT 900 PRO X" which is also 48 Ohm, it would be a sidegrade if I'm not an expert?

what you've done is create the worlds dumbest bluetooth receiver. you could just buy a tiny bluetooth receiver instead of taping broken headphones to not broken headphones.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Vegetable posted:

AirPod Max is on sale at $450 at Amazon and Best Buy https://a.co/d/6WUg14S

How does the thread feel about them? I love my AirPod Pros 2.0. Am thinking about buying these for plane rides and gaming at home.

Ludicrously too expensive for what they are and how they sound, and bluetooth is not an acceptable solution for gaming.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Passburger posted:

Any suggestions on tips though? The seal is not the greatest for me with the stock ones.

spinfits, moondrop spring tips, jvc spiral dots, epro horn tips, sedna xelastec, final audio, foam

somewhere in that list is the tip that works for you, but nobody can tell you which one :(

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I'm considering IEMs for my extremely noisy commute. I often see Etymotics praised for their isolation, but many users refit them with Comply foam tips. Couldn't you just put triple flange or comply tips on any IEM and get the same isolation then? Or is there something else special about the Etymotics?

They are extremely unique, no other tips fit them, and they sit much deeper in your ear canal than anything else. also, they're typically unported, so there's no path to outside air. the construction of the IEM has as much or more to do with the isolation as the tips.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I love my ER2XR but the stock cable is bad and finding a good replacement is a bit difficult, plus (and this is the big one) it's kind of a pain to get them in and out of your ear even once you're used to it. that unfortunately makes them difficult to use for me at work or out in public, but they isolate incredibly well and sound great.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zero VGS posted:

I have no idea how dependable those RTings reviews are.

They're universally made up nonsense.

e: sorry i thought they didn't graph but i guess they do. i cannot for the life of me understand what their target FR is or how they're determining scores, but those reviews are, in general, very weird.

e2: yknow what i take it back, i looked through their methodology and it's mostly okay. and their "best wired headphones" list is a bit outdated but not completely out of whack except for the 800s but whatever.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 7, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mr. Mercury posted:

Iirc it's an attempt at a blend of Harman with high end DF + speaker pref slope.

It's worth pointing out that RTINGS also finally joined the rest of the pack in getting the new B&K 5128, which will necessitate a new target curve anyway!

yeah i found it! honestly i think the reason i found some of their reviews so weird is that i don't agree with their target curve one bit, but they are consistent and methodical about it. hope the new target is a little better thought out.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oxyclean posted:

Or at least, I assume what I like about open-back is that they don't feel they're clamping my head and feel like they're going to be more comfortable for something I'm going to have on pretty much all the time i'm at my PC.

There's no inherent comfort difference with open back headphones, except maybe breathability. HD600s and their ilk are notoriously clampy out of the box.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oxyclean posted:

I had the impression that isolation is achieved by basically being a tighter fit/physically trying to prevent sound trying to leak out? Surely that contributes to how they feel to wear?

That's not how isolation is achieved. Maybe a small part of it but It's just as important, if not more so that open backs "seal" properly, you get wild bass shenanigans otherwise.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oxyclean posted:

and I feel like what I thought were closed back headphones were also responsible for blocking out too much ambient noise - not just the clamp factor, but also just generally tighter fitting pads? The Philips Im using right now sit very nicely on my head - like I can stick a finger behind my ear without the pad getting in the way.

okay listen

see the DT770? see how the back of the headphone is closed? that's closed back.

see the DT990? see how the back of the headphone has a mesh that lets air in and out? that's open back.

that's it, that's the difference.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I get that like I just said, I just don't understand why multiple sources talk about open/closed in terms of noise leakage/isolation, and sometimes comfort. Is OP just wrong or oversimplifying?

What design factor contributes to noise isolation? Mostly pad design?

well, with closed back headphones, the back is closed. this means you can't hear the outside because there's plastic in the way.

with open back headphones you can hear the outside because there isn't plastic in the way.

that's it, that's all. one headphone has a closed back and is sealed from the outside, the other isn't. there is no other difference, that's all that means. pads have absolutely nothing to do with it.

e: think of it this way. put a coffee mug over your ear. that's closed. everything's muffled right? you've got isolation and noise won't leak out of it. okay, now put a tea strainer over your ear. that's open. you can hear pretty much normally right? no isolation to speak of, and if there's a speaker in the tea strainer everyone will be able to hear it.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 5, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oxyclean posted:

I apologize for my denseness - I executed a small experiment of placing my hands over the open backs of my headphones - the audio produced noticeably changed (which makes sense given how the drivers work) but it felt like very little outside audio was shut out. My hands aren't pieces of plastic, so this is far from an ideal experiment, but it made me think there was probably more going on. Like sure pad design matters? A rubbery/leathery pad that sits tighter around your ear is probably going to seal audio in/out better then a soft meshy pad that sits lighter around.

you're overthinking this in the weirdest possible way. did you completely seal off the cups with your hands? no, you didn't, which is why you could still hear things outside the cups, because that's how sound works.

there are no open back wireless headphones in any case (except the grados) and headphone comfort is a personal journey based on your head and ear shape. go try on headphones and see what fits, there's nothing more to it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Wired ANC doesn't really exist because by the time you have a dsp, an amp, a battery and a bunch of mics built in, it doesn't really cost much more to toss in a bluetooth module.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

What are the best aftermarket earbud tips these days?

I used a pair of Sony WF-1000XM4 that had tips made of something denser and more isolating that the good old Comply tips. Dunno what they were.

That is extremely dependent on your ears, but I use mostly Spinfits.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Does the noise cancelling feature mean that you don't have to turn up the volume as much as would, thereby saving your ears from potential damage?

I don't know if it's been studied exactly, but anecdotally yes.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dogen posted:

Cool to have a derogatory slur as a name for your business I guess

right wing chuds need iems too i guess

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Arson Daily posted:

I have a pair of AKG K702's that I absolutely love. Is there a closed back headphone with a similar sound and maybe a little more bass? Price range is $400 or less I guess.

Honestly not really, but the K371 is probably the closest.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ok Comboomer posted:

prolly a Sennheiser 6~~ of some sort

I don't think that's the best idea, they're very high impedance for a phone or dongle. 58X makes more sense, or 560S.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

njsykora posted:

No, Android people just love spreading bullshit about how you need to pay extra to make Apple stuff work on Android. It works just like any other USB-C dongle. Though in the EU for some reason it's not as good which is why you don't see it as often around here.

lmao what the gently caress is this post? you're completely wrong and being extremely weird about it. there's a software issue that keeps the apple usb-c dongle from reaching past half volume on android, it's been well known for eons and is not bullshit at all, I have one right here and can demonstrate it

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

grack posted:

I've been using an Apple USB-C dongle for 4+ years and I've never had this issue.

The version sold in the EU is volume limited

Most people will never know and it won't bother them because IEMs are sensitive enough for it not to matter. Plug it into a windows machine or an apple device and tell me if you get the same max volume. I can assure you that people aren't making up the issue because they're android fanatics trying to destroy apple's stranglehold on the lovely $8 audio adapter market or whatever people think is going on.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Helter Skelter posted:

I will admit initial skepticism, but I can confirm that my (US-purchased) Apple dongle is quieter out of my Pixel 5a than my PC.

i'm amazed anyone is even skeptical about it, it's been widely reported since the thing came out. this is genuinely the first i've ever heard of people thinking it's a made up issue. why would anyone make up the issue???

vvv sure but this isn't like "the apple dongle smears the soundstage and makes the treble more wooly" or whatever garbage, it's "unlike most dongles, the apple one implements volume control in hardware and the volume default is 50%. android kernel doesn't support that hardware volume control so 50% is max volume unless you use an app that does support hardware control and they're mostly paid"

like, we know what the issue is lol

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 2, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

priznat posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations for a USB DAC that supports both wired and bluetooth headphones (LDAC would be awesome)?

No, that's not what a DAC does. If you're looking to connect your bluetooth device to your computer via LDAC, you need some sort of audio bluetooth transmitter since the OS usually doesn't support those codecs. I believe Sennheiser makes one, there are knockoffs for much cheaper on amazon.

priznat posted:

Somewhat unrelated, I have my XM5 headphones now and I really like them although my one complaint is the bluetooth connection to my iphone is kinda bad. Playing music is fine it is the microphone for calls, it just cuts out a lot. Actually even the audio is bad but only with Teams. With music, no problem. Is it telling me teams sucks? Probably!

That's because the codec used for "communications" like Teams drops down to low bitrate SBC. It's a bluetooth problem, I think it happens to most headsets.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Clark Nova posted:

If you want to minimize leakage you want closed back headphones and I think the thread's default recommendation there is the Beyerdynamic DT 770, or one of the bluetooth noise-cancelling headsets from Sony or Bose

Ehhhhhh, i dunno about that. As a person who owns and loves a pair of 770s, the treble is not for everyone to say the least. The AKG K371 is a much more reasonable tuning for a solid starting closed back imo.

priznat posted:

Now looking for a deal on a DAC I can connect to the pc to use instead of the realtek junk.

Why? Are you getting buzzing or interference?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mederlock posted:

If you're looking for a DAC/Amp combo, the Tanchjim Space dongle DAC looks to be superb for $90. You can even upgrade to a balanced cable, going from the 2.5mm TRRS end to a 4.4 TRRS end or use a 2.5 to 2.5 cable and a 2.5 to 4.4 adapter to get more power out of this amp, as it has more power on tap out of its balanced output.

don't buy a $90 dac amp with balanced outputs for a set of HD599SE, that doesn't make sense. In fact buying an amp at all for those doesn't really make sense. What's going on with the realtek that you feel like you need something else?

Ok Comboomer posted:

560S for $150,

That's the standout deal imo, I'd take those over any of the other sennheisers listed.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mederlock posted:

He was looking for a DAC, those are two great ones that aren't $$Audiophile prices, but are definitely more than a casual consumer would care to pay. I did post the Apple Dongle too which would be the most reasonable for most people for the money as well so I don't see the problem.

Because you're still recommending a $90 dac amp with balanced outputs for a headphone that costs $80 and has no balanced cable, even as an option, and even if it did, wouldn't need the power. If they're having noise problems, the apple dongle will fix it, there's no need to go further than that, especially with those cans.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Combat Pretzel posted:

Neat. However what I gather from this video, it's about the ear canals. I don't see anything that helps in regards to measuring bone conduction.

????

Your ear canals are resonant chambers, it doesn't matter how the sound is produced or where it's coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Combat Pretzel posted:

The waves need to travel a bit through skin and I presume some bone, with what being called bone conducting headphones, to reach the ear canal structure. Those rigs don't have these structures replicated?

Oh, yeah no, there are no standardized bone conduction test rigs afaik. You're probably right that whatever measurements going on are not representative, I misinterpreted.