Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

nintendo knows that fangames strengthen the Brand more than they divert sales so they really only do the minimum level of takedowns they perceive as required to defend their trademarks,, unless they perceive a fangame as too close to feature parity with their current or upcoming games. they don't want to touch the actually popular ones at all so they just roll a die and send a random takedown every few months

obviously it'd be preferable if they didn't do it at all but if they really wanted to they could salt the earth on fan projects, and they don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalaxyBounce
May 3, 2009
Got my first Path of Achra win on my 3rd game. My strategy was mostly stand still and blast things with my mind, or pray and teleport away if in danger.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GalaxyBounce posted:

Got my first Path of Achra win on my 3rd game. My strategy was mostly stand still and blast things with my mind, or pray and teleport away if in danger.

nice work.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

im not sure if im supposed to be getting way more out of the map than i am or something but the first boss is ravenswatch is pretty hard. the tentacles take awhile to kill, cant really ignore them or i just get slapped to death, and then i get about 6 seconds to dps him before he summons them all again so it takes like 5 cycles. couldnt even do it going in with all my revives.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

im not sure if im supposed to be getting way more out of the map than i am or something but the first boss is ravenswatch is pretty hard. the tentacles take awhile to kill, cant really ignore them or i just get slapped to death, and then i get about 6 seconds to dps him before he summons them all again so it takes like 5 cycles. couldnt even do it going in with all my revives.

There's a lot of variables at play there, which character? What level are you when the timer runs out? Are you focusing on damage or survivability talents? Etc.

You're definitely not supposed to ignore the tentacles, just rotate and take them down one by one but save some damage cooldowns for the DPS window when you kill the last one. I got roflstomped by it quite a few times before taking it down for the first time (I suck at bullet hell situations), but by now things are pretty much muscle memory and it doesn't give me trouble any more. It's just learning patterns. There's no time limit on the fight so don't take risks and do as many rotations as it takes. Preserving health is more important than getting that little bit of extra damage in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
An assortment:

Indie Mystery Dungeon inspired jaunt for Android: Gaia Quest

https://old.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/1cf3k4y/gaia_quest_a_mystery_dungeonlike_game_is_now/

quote:

As the title suggests, my game is a traditional 2D roguelike inspired by the Mystery Dungeon games (particularly the Shiren the Wanderer and Torneko titles). I also believe that MD-like games are quite underrepresented in the mobile/Android market, therefore I decided to develop one myself.

The game initially started as part of my CS master's studies in September 2020, and the first demo was completed in March 2022. After graduating, I wanted to build on this version and release the game, so I decided to expand and further optimize it.

The game is completely free and doesn't contain ads or microtransactions.

Some key features:

17 floors in total to explore
26 unique monsters, each with diverse abilities
Over 40 items, including consumables and equipment
No hunger mechanic, as I personally don't like it
Playable in both English and German
Of course, the game doesn't claim to be easy :)

A "hardcore", more enriched experience ongoing overhaul mod for One More Dungeon 2:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/omd2-hardcore-mode

quote:

OMD2 is a fantastic little indie arcade Ultima Underworld-lite Roguelite that comes abruptly to an end. No extra difficulty modes, no post-game content. Additionally, after you've played the game once, returning later doesn't prove particularly challenging at all after learning the nuances and bypassing the trial & error phase that any game presents. This mod is a simple yet transformative hardcore alteration of the game to keep it engaging for replays and well into the future. It will test both your knowledge of the game as well as your general action-RPG skill and decision-making. You will see that all the base game's design can be elevated to an old school cerebral standard when it doesn't have to account for a newcomer. It's not all hard and scary though! Numerous perks are improved for better balance and more interesting choices. You get more xp too.

Story behind the mod:

One More Dungeon 2 was good but after the initial hurdles, not particularly challenging. The end boss in particular was a massive joke, which is not at all ideal for a roguelite. I attempted to replay the game for a second time and it was far too easy - I beat it in three attempts. Didn't even get to try the other classes. Now the strategy and skill (and relevance of RNG) is up to hardcore action roguelite standards.
This mod was made in a little over a day, but don't let that deter you. It truly is transformative for the game, and a day's work is all that was needed to achieve that.

Card & Dice Anew with Dice & Fold: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2693930/Dice__Fold/

quote:

A turn based dungeon crawler where your only way of attacking the enemy is by rolling dice. Roll, damage, drop dice on enemies to FOLD. Inspired by classic Solitaire, in a top-down table and enemies made out of cards, try to beat the dungeon with 20 different classes. Build your deck, kill monsters.

Dice & Fold is a game that combines the strategic depth of turn-based dungeon crawlers with the thrill of chance inherent in dice games. Players unfold cards to face the creature cards and try to beat the card and fold it. Reminiscent of classic table-top RPGs and Solitaire, the game adds a simple layer of strategy.

SOLITAIRE WITH A DICE?
The core mechanic of the game revolves around dice rolling. Players engage in combat by rolling a dice, with the outcome directly influencing the strength of their attacks. The higher the roll, the more damage inflicted on the enemies. Strategic depth is introduced through the need to carefully select which enemy to attack first, requiring players to drag and drop the dice onto the appropriate enemy card's dice slot.

Each turn is a test of tactical acumen. Players must strategize the best use of their dice rolls to maximize damage and control the battlefield, while also anticipating the counterattacks from monster cards at the end of each turn. The game offers a compelling risk-reward system, challenging players to balance aggressive tactics against the need for self-preservation.

Adding to the complexity, the game features five distinct classes, each with unique abilities and playstyles. This diversity allows for varied approaches to dungeon exploration and combat, encouraging replayability and experimentation.
ROGUELIKE & DECKBUILDING
With the generative dungeon system, reminiscent of the branching pathways in "Slay the Spire." This element of choice ensures that each journey through the dungeons is a unique experience, filled with unexpected challenges and rewards. As the player you will choose the enemy and upgrade cards you want to keep in your next turn.

Between stages, players have the opportunity to choose upgrades, similar to the mechanics in "Vampire Survivors." These upgrades range from enhancing dice rolls and bolstering class abilities to gaining new upgradeable cards that can turn the tide in challenging encounters.

If a player is defeated, the game doesn’t end in frustration. Instead, players are rewarded with meta upgrades and currencies that can be used to strengthen their character for subsequent runs. This progressive system ensures a continual sense of advancement and achievement, even in defeat.
CREATE CRAZY COMBOS
With its blend of strategy, chance, and RPG elements, "Dice & Fold" offers an engaging and ever-evolving gameplay experience that appeals to both fans of dungeon crawlers and players who enjoy the unpredictability of dice-based games. Its unique combination of mechanics, and expansive upgrade system, offers a lot of replayability and fun!