Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2455920/Mimic_Logic/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256982748/movie480_vp9.webm

Do you like the "one of these guys always lies, and one always tells the truth" kind of logic puzzle? Here it is as a roguelike. Pretty neat for $3.99.

Holy poo poo I love this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

woke kaczynski posted:

Holy poo poo I love this game

Seconded. I've already gotten way more than $4 worth of entertainment from this.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I am incredibly bad at RW2 but it's still a lot of fun. It's crazy that in RW1 I used to kill most runs, and now I lose the vast majority of them. A thing I would like is the first few chests to contain selectable rewards, since I find that I kind of start a run looking to do something specific, and then get bummed out when I only get bad rewards. Overall it's very fun. Mordred needs an animation that makes him a bit more visible in realm 20, but yeah.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is an extremely important part of Rift Wizard 2, for anyone who hasn't yet realized it: you can reroll your rifts once per level for free. If you don't like the rewards or the enemies you'll face, or even the map layouts offered, press R for another pull.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I've been interested in picking up Touhou Lost Branch of Legend for a while. I'm usually a bit reluctant to fork out cash for indie titles with no regional pricing whatsoever since they can get quite expensive after tax, but even in EA Lost Branch of Legend is very fun. The music is great, the translation seems pretty good, each card seems to have its own VFX? Some of which are very pretty to boot! It's been great so far and I'm glad I took the plunge.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is an extremely important part of Rift Wizard 2, for anyone who hasn't yet realized it: you can reroll your rifts once per level for free. If you don't like the rewards or the enemies you'll face, or even the map layouts offered, press R for another pull.

Oh for sure, but RW2 is a game which I'll boot up with some builds/combos in mind, and unlike in RW1 where you could brute force whatever you wanted usually, in RW2 if I don't get the gear I'm looking for until realm 8 or so, I just feel bleh

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Azran posted:

I've been interested in picking up Touhou Lost Branch of Legend for a while. I'm usually a bit reluctant to fork out cash for indie titles with no regional pricing whatsoever since they can get quite expensive after tax, but even in EA Lost Branch of Legend is very fun. The music is great, the translation seems pretty good, each card seems to have its own VFX? Some of which are very pretty to boot! It's been great so far and I'm glad I took the plunge.

It’s the closest thing I’ve seen to a “Slay the Spire 2” and I mean that in a good way. It is very unabashed in its inspiration but it’s a quality production.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2455920/Mimic_Logic/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256982748/movie480_vp9.webm

Do you like the "one of these guys always lies, and one always tells the truth" kind of logic puzzle? Here it is as a roguelike. Pretty neat for $3.99.

huh, interestin use of rpgmaker

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

an iksar marauder posted:

Oh for sure, but RW2 is a game which I'll boot up with some builds/combos in mind, and unlike in RW1 where you could brute force whatever you wanted usually, in RW2 if I don't get the gear I'm looking for until realm 8 or so, I just feel bleh

The two biggest things I'd like to see are (1) Equipment rewards always being offered or (2) some kind of weighting towards equipment that complements my build. It's pretty rough to go through 5+ mid-game floors in a row only being offered gear that's totally meaningless for my build, or rooms with no equipment rewards even when liberally using rerolls.

I like the idea of having to build around the equipment I find but that doesn't work all that well in a game where you've already committed to a build before you have a chance to get most of that equipment, and aren't guaranteed to find equipment in the first place.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 29, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tunicate posted:

huh, interestin use of rpgmaker

rpg maker gets a ton of neat lil experimental indie stuff made in it
soulestination and final profit are both neat in a similar way to this

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

The two biggest things I'd like to see are (1) Equipment rewards always being offered or (2) some kind of weighting towards equipment that complements my build. It's pretty rough to go through 5+ mid-game floors in a row only being offered gear that's totally meaningless for my build, or rooms with no equipment rewards even when liberally using rerolls.

I like the idea of having to build around the equipment I find but that doesn't work all that well in a game where you've already committed to a build before you have a chance to get most of that equipment, and aren't guaranteed to find equipment in the first place.

Most of your SP comes in the second half of the game, it's pretty easy to pivot from your starter spells even compared to RW1.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Mimic logic is a lot of fun, The anticipation of seeing if you are right or wrong means that you either feel like a genius or feel the sting of your stupidity which kept me locked in. It makes me feel like a clever adventurer Solving a sphinx's riddle

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OK lol mimic logic rules. Need to get the full game sometime. There is even a tiny bit of tower of sorcerer dna here, neato.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I know we're all talking about Rift Wizard 2 now but I had another Achra run I wanted to show off and I will not be silenced

Started off just messing around trying out Pallas who I hadn't done before, with the race and class that both do passive heals, and a vague plan of doing a tanky block and heal build. I went Martial for Stand Ground so I could stack poise for blocking, and Ice for Isaz for the block chance, then realised I'd locked myself out of all the healing prestige classes and decided to go Champion instead. I was struggling to find any decent gear for a while but Champion's poise=speed buff carried me. Then I found Mind Diamond, which on standing still adds repulsion stacks equal to 10% of your highest stack of effects, and does a PBAOE with damage equal to total effect stacks. It rapidly scaled out of control off my poise, and I quickly discovered that effects cap out at 1000000 stacks. The secutor class's starting weapon deals poison damage equal to your highest effect stack on attack, so now I was running around at absurd speeds AOEing for a million damage and hitting anything that somehow got close for a million damage with every hit on my Stand Ground multi-swing. Then of course there's the actual effect of repulsion, which does damage equal to its number of stacks to anything that hits you. So anything that somehow got an an attack in got vapourised too. But it got better than that. I found gloves that summoned poo poo on standing still, so I was able to clog the map with ablative armour while I stood around building my max replusion stack, and I also found a shield that gave block equal to stacks and body armour that did the same with armour. So now I was also rocking a million block (with max block chance) and a million armour. Definitely my most ridiculous run yet and it wasn't even really a planned build. The only disappointment was finding out that the highest damage achievement is 1 mil when my biggest hit was 5

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 30, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jack Trades posted:

Anything interesting in the Deckbuilder Steam Sale that isn't "StS map lanes" + "select one of 3 cards" + "metaprogression" schlock?

There are many things that aren't just those things. Going down the list quickly and ignoring things you've probably played:

Concordia and Spirit Island aren't actually deckbuilders at all. They're digital adaptations of boardgames.

Shogun Showdown, Poker Quest and SpellRogue also aren't deckbuilders, they just nominally use cards to represent your abilities. (SpellRogue is intentionally a lot like Spire, though, the devs admit to homaging it and Dicey Dungeons.)

Heretic's Fork is only a deckbuilder in the sense that you occasionally acquire cards. It's more of a tower defence game.

Arcanium: Rise of Akhan was never fully finished - Netflix hosed the devs over - but all that's missing is three or four of the planned characters. It also has open world map travel and more ways to obtain cards for the three characters in your party, although it does have metaprog to unlock alternate Ultimate abilities for characters. It's an absolute bargain in this sale and feels very different to Spire.

Banners of Ruin is another deep discounted title. This one has the twist that position matters - attacks are aimed at spaces on a 3x2 grid, not characters, so you can dodge attacks or manoeuvre enemies into the line of fire.

Breach Wanderers does absolutely everything in your "isn't" list in spades, but is unique in that it's a genuine deckbuilder where you select both your starting deck and the pool of cards you'll be gaining rewards from. With ten characters and hundreds of unlockable cards it's practically infinitely customisable. (Unlocks are also less intimidating than they sound; I have 80 hours played and have every card unlocked for a while.)

Nadir: A Grimdark Deckbuilder is a bit of an odd fish. You proceed through a series of rings collecting rewards and fighting battles - it's fairly open, you just can't go back once you move on. The trick here is that playing cards adds points to enemy abilities, so what you do triggers what they do. It feels different and interesting.

Lastly, a couple of games I've played that are just Spire-A-Likes but are hugely discounted and worth a look at on that basis: Power Chord and Castle Morihisa.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

YAVP:

Crackledarkener (when an enemy takes Dark damage, redeal Lightning damage to two nearby enemies) and Carnival of Pain (when an enemy takes Physical, Fire, or Lightning damage, redeal it to 4 nearest units as Dark damage) creates an infinite damage loop. I expect it to be fixed/nerfed at some point.

Still had to take some utility spells to deal with Dark/Lightning resistance, but all in all a pretty easy run.

that is rad, nice find

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wafflecopper posted:

I know we're all talking about Rift Wizard 2 now but I had another Achra run I wanted to show off and I will not be silenced

Started off just messing around trying out Pallas who I hadn't done before, with the race and class that both do passive heals, and a vague plan of doing a tanky block and heal build. I went Martial for Stand Ground so I could stack poise for blocking, and Ice for Isaz for the block chance, then realised I'd locked myself out of all the healing prestige classes and decided to go Champion instead. I was struggling to find any decent gear for a while but Champion's poise=speed buff carried me. Then I found Mind Diamond, which on standing still adds repulsion stacks equal to 10% of your highest stack of effects, and does a PBAOE with damage equal to total effect stacks. It rapidly scaled out of control off my poise, and I quickly discovered that effects cap out at 1000000 stacks. The secutor class's starting weapon deals poison damage equal to your highest effect stack on attack, so now I was running around at absurd speeds AOEing for a million damage and hitting anything that somehow got close for a million damage with every hit on my Stand Ground multi-swing. Then of course there's the actual effect of repulsion, which does damage equal to its number of stacks to anything that hits you. So anything that somehow got an an attack in got vapourised too. But it got better than that. I found gloves that summoned poo poo on standing still, so I was able to clog the map with ablative armour while I stood around building my max replusion stack, and I also found a shield that gave block equal to stacks and body armour that did the same with armour. So now I was also rocking a million block (with max block chance) and a million armour. Definitely my most ridiculous run yet and it wasn't even really a planned build. The only disappointment was finding out that the highest damage achievement is 1 mil when my biggest hit was 5

Nice!! Mind diamond is a crazy good item for most stand still builds

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jedit posted:

There are many things that aren't just those things. Going down the list quickly and ignoring things you've probably played:

Thanks for the writeup. I'll check those out.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Azran posted:

Thanks for the review! I've heard a lot of good things about it but have always shied away due to the price tag lol

Speaking of, Chrono Ark announced it's going into 1.0 and will receive a price increase at the same time. I really liked their take on a party-based deckbuilder and the plot was pretty compelling! Looking forward to coming back with the final ending implemented!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Something that's really bothering me in Rift Wizard 2 is how many exceptions there are to equipment/passives affecting spells, and how it's generally not indicated anywhere when there's an exception. For example effects that increase the number of summons for summoning spells don't apply to certain spells like Giant Bear or Blue Lion. Or a Mystic Dagger which adds +3 damage to Arcane spells doesn't apply to Nightmare Aura.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 30, 2024

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Something that's really bothering me in Rift Wizard 2 is how many exceptions there are to equipment/passives affecting spells, and how it's generally not indicated anywhere when there's an exception. For example effects that increase the number of summons for summoning spells don't apply to certain spells like Giant Bear or Blue Lion. Or a Mystic Dagger which adds +3 damage to Arcane spells doesn't apply to Nightmare Aura.

not sure if it helps, but if the number of summons in the skill is orange, it's affected, etc

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Being able to filter spells by attribute, not just school, has been a decently common request. I expect it'll get added sooner or later.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

not sure if it helps, but if the number of summons in the skill is orange, it's affected, etc

yeah its not super clear but for example wolf says summon 1 wolf, thats affected by num of summons, while something like fire drake says summon a drake, that doesnt get affected. and nightmare aura says right there that the dmg cannot be changed by anything

that said the balance does feel very off sometimes. the other day i grabbed some +summons item and i could not find any spell thta was affected by it

also I grabbed some dragon boosting wand and tried a dragon build and died instantly to my own drakes lol

babypolis fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 30, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

To my knowledge there are only 12-13 spells that even have the num-summons attribute. Wolf, Plague of Toads, etc all the way up to Ritual of Revelation.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I think wizards with the wizard gang upgrade becomes num-summons upgradeable

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

From what I gathered glancing at the discord a few days ago, it seems like partway through development they changed it so those attributes could be added when purchasing spell upgrades instead of needing to be on the base spell, but spells set up before then use the old way. For example, Wolf has a num_summons attribute, because one of the upgrades lets you have multiple. Because the attribute is already there without purchasing that upgrade, Wolf gets the benefit of any +num_summon stats you get, even if you take a different upgrade (or none at all). Its possible this is intentional for some spells, but generally speaking it doesn't seem to be.

To possibly be redundant, but hopefully more clear: The Wizard Gang upgrade works this way already, +num_summons only start affecting the spell after you purchase it. The inconsistency is a result of it being in early access, and it seems like it's planned to be sorted out sooner or later.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

It seemed to me that wolf got it because it's pretty weak without something like that being able to multiply how many wolves you get, but I didn't look at the discord or anything. Could be a balancing decision later on, also necromancy/death bolt feels kinda meh. Please buff.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Yeah Death bolt seems useless.

Spider queen is pretty nice now! (I was able to rush it because of a lucky exotic pet)

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 30, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pilgrimage completed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Feeling good about this as far as game achievements goes, if it's not clear I really like Path of Achra. There's also so many more prestige classes I could try to win with!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

It seemed to me that wolf got it because it's pretty weak without something like that being able to multiply how many wolves you get, but I didn't look at the discord or anything. Could be a balancing decision later on, also necromancy/death bolt feels kinda meh. Please buff.

I suspect that wolf works the way it does because it had a mass summon upgrade in RW1 and is using legacy code while other upgrades that go from a single summon to multiple summons are new to RW2.

Regardless, having the first summon spell most players encounter interact differently with num_summons than every other conjuration in the game is... probably not great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b11EA6XW3w

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the cosmic struggle
Jan 5

Jan 12

Jan 14

Jan 18

Jan 21

Jan 27

Jan 29

Jan 30

Feb 1

Mar 2

Mar 3

Mar 7

Mar 9

Mar 15

Mar 16

Mar 17

Mar 22

Mar 23

Mar 30

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Cross-posting from the Steam thread:

FutureCop posted:

Just giving a bit of a shout-out to this FREE game on Steam called Rabbit Hole from this indie dev I've been following. If you're in the mood for an action roguelike 2D platformer shooter akin to something like Revita or Neon Abyss, consider checking it out. After all, it's free!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Was coming to the thread to post this myself. Excellent overview of Cogmind by a guy who loves it tremendously

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Rift Wizard is cool but I think I’m going to wait for a little more iteration on the endgame before I play it again. I must have been fighting Jormungandr for half an hour.

Part of it was my build, which centered around using translocation spells to fire magic missiles and summon free allies. I didn’t exactly have a lot of damage. But the enemies are just a bit too hardy for something that’s a penultimate boss anyway.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Captain Foo posted:

pilgrimage completed

congrats! also i never noticed before and it's really weird how acidify is a different colour to all the other poison school abilities, had me tripping for a moment that you had 4 different elements somehow

e: also wtf is up with jawharas? one of those wierd geometric pattern enemies. i''ve lost more runs to them than all the bosses combined. actually on that note bosses don't even seem all that dangerous in this game. i think i've died to them twice. packs of ranged enemies (jawharas in particular) are by far the most dangerous thing ime

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 31, 2024

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
What If Dice Cards, but more Esoteric and/or oddly introspective? Perfect Dice

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2398430/Perfect__Dice/ Demo, Q2 release incoming

quote:

Incredibly complex card-based roguelike that challenges you to learn and exploit the nuances of chance, mastering luck itself.

You've found yourself in an alternate cyberpunk reality, where every decision is made by the roll of a diсe. To get your free will back, you need to find the Perfect Diсe.

Key Features:
Forget everything you've learned from other card games - it won't help you here. The logic of Perfect Dice will definitely twist your brain. Whether you give up or not is entirely up to you, but the reward at the end is worth the journey!

Endless possibilities for deck building. You'll need to carefully consider each new card or dice you add to your deck. You can either ruin a great build or, conversely, create an almost ultimate setup that effortlessly defeats enemies left and right.

A subtle narrative woven into the game invites you to reflect on randomness and its impact on our lives. Do we always need to seek someone to blame, or can we sometimes accept events just as they happen?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So it's my very first ever game of either rift wizard. I seem to be summoning golden skulls that frequently summon balls of ghosts, each of which includes a ghost king, which summons portals that summon more ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Hiding in my skull hole and waiting for them to bring me more skulls.