Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

These nerds have created programs that I've spent too many hours of my life in, and I thank you all for it.

Yeah seriously thanks so much, people. I've been hooked since Rogue (and boy does that make me feel old). It's wonderful to see so many greats brought together. It's also fascinating to think how many of these games are the work of so few people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

Ok I bought it :3:

This. Remember loving the beta, no clue what took me so long.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

My first roguelike was Rogue :smug:

Ha, same. Although I guess you could make an argument that it was Gateway to Apshai.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Goon kickstarter backed. Looking drat sweet.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd go with Kranach, the raider lord for ADoM, or maybe Wriggling Mass of Pure Chaos, just for uniqueness' sake.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

are there any roguelikes on sale on steam atm really worth picking up?

For roguelites, Dead Cells is pushing all my buttons in a most delightful way.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Monster Slayers has been my jam lately. People compare it to Dungeon Quest which I've yet to get to. The dev seems quite responsive as well.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

limited posted:

I have waaaayyy~ too many hours into this game already. If you want to go nuts, play a rogue with +AP equipment when playing support cards, plus bunch of card draw, and just keep playing your entire deck over and over. :unsmigghh:

Yeah this has been my only win so far. Who needs defences when the opponent only gets one turn haha. Backstab and execute getting up to 50+, just bananas.

All other classes I've yet to clear level 3 on. Got furthest with Paladin, trap assassin and merchant. This game is very addictive.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mystic Stylez posted:

I agree, there's way too many things that can totally gently caress you and you can't control, from the simple way enemies are disposed on the map to health packs to shop availability, it goes on.

However, there's usually at least some mitigation, be it class or card related, e.g. poison attacks for physical characters, the Monk ability that turns every attack into piercing, etc.

And the parts that work are absolutely well done, extremely addicting and surprisely balanced. There's lots of different strategies that are viable, the classes feel unique, the enemies and bosses are varied, the graphics grow on you, the achievements are reasonable and give a good sense of progression... I could keep going.

Still, it feels very difficult to me, to the point of being unsure if I will ever be able to regularly do well. The run where I ascended gave me every single lucky break to the point of being ridiculous. One of those times, from the 300+ cards that are available in the game, I got, with the only attempt possible, exactly the item I needed to refill my whole HP instead of getting a game over.

I brought it up earlier, but Monster Slayers is basically this with a bunch of the edges sanded off. I played that game before DQ and it's retrospectively really interesting to see what just got copied wholesale and what they decided to change.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Between the dev contest, play tips and the collaborations this thread has to be one of the most feel-good on the forms :3:

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I registered for Jerusalem's Total War insanity transplanting Scotland to Egypt. Fascinating how many regs from that sort of just settled in over the years.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Mental mutants have more leeway to purchase new powers instead, but they need to be careful about building too much glimmer and attracting interdimensional brain thieves.
Honestly, if this amazing sentence doesn't sell you on the game, nothing will.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Burning Rain posted:

Huh, apparently Slay the Spire was the second best selling game on Steam last week and has already sold ~5 times as many copies as Monster Slayers and almost 100 times more than Dream Quest (at a considerably higher price than either, but Steam only - DQ probably got bulk of its income from iOS sales). While I'm happy for them, I also wish the other two games had enjoyed similar success. My personal preferences aside, I haven't seen many people saying that it's unequivocally better than either. I guess it's mostly timing and marketing (and graphics, especially compared to DQ) - along with actually having a good product.

Oh well, maybe people will learn about the other two games (and the weird Chinese subgenre of roguelike deckbuilders that I recently found out exists), and it will spark a flowering of this kind of thing, as it's probably my favourite type of coffee break roguelikes. When I have more time this week, I might get Meteorfall and Night of the Full Moon on my smartphone to check out if they're doing anything different.

You can't just drop that Chinese thing in there without details. Spill the beans!

For me Slay the Spire is more fun and compelling than the other two. This comes down to several factors:
- I love passive buffs so the relic system really floats my boat
- the monsters doing a single, telegraphed action means I don't have to sit through an annoying enemy turn and I get the tension of planning how to deal with what they will do
- the effective build variety feels greater than the draw your deck format of DQ/MS but that may be because I haven't played this to death yet

It's fascinating to me as well that this broke out when the other games didn't, but its relatively good legibility on streams plus riding on the hearthstone dungeon crawl release's coattails are the main factors I suspect.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

zirconmusic posted:

I am going to confess that I tried Dead Cells for about 1.5 hours and just couldn't get into it. The graphics are stunning, control is super fluid, but I just suck at it. I did around 10 runs and couldn't get past the first elite. lol lol I'm bad I know. But in my defense I got up to like.. NG6 in Rogue Legacy? Something about the roll and jump timing / movement never clicked with me :(

I wonder how the Venn diagram looks for people who like Rogue Legacy and Dead Cells controls, because I loathe the former and couldn't get anywhere in it but Dead Cells is perfect for me.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Irony.or.Death posted:

This is good advice but it's also why I'm not playing more Tangledeep even though I love everything else about the game. Crafting bullshit is a scourge upon video games and I just don't want to deal with it. This is very sad for me in Tangledeep's case, but I hope there are cooking enthusiasts out there who are digging it.

Yes, this. I love the abilities and the look but drat, if I had known the amount of busywork required I probably would not have backed the game. Extremely not my jam.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

zirconmusic posted:

Tangledeep not having regenerating resources is not for everyone, I understand that. But it's absolutely an intentional design choice that fits within the rest of the game's balance and design pretty well IMO.

Yeah I'm not knocking the design per se, it's just that the combination of two of my least favourite game concepts (crafting and consumables) does not work out in my favour.

Still glad I contributed and that you're getting a good reception, just mild disappointment that it's not for me.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I adore Into The Breach. It's so transparent and clear about what will happen while still presenting an almost perfect level of complexity through interacting systems and actions. An amazing piece of design, both game and interface.

The only thing I'll say against it is that it has basically destroyed one of my own game ideas by implementing it way better than I ever could.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ktan posted:

Hey, would anyone be willing to recommend some rogue-lites? I am really enjoying Dead Cells and would like to play some more games in that vein. For what it’s worth I enjoy the platform/action of Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, and Salt and Sanctuary but am more than willing to try turn based games, etc.

Some meta-progression (not necessarily power) would be great. Thanks so much in advance.

- Into the Breach (turn-based mech squad tactics)
- Unexplored (realtime top-down dungeon exploring, exceptionally good level generation system)
- If you're into cardgames the slay the spire/dream quest/monster slayers trifecta are all pretty good in slightly different ways
- Risk of Rain (platformer/shooter)
- Nuclear Throne (top-down shooter)

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zarick posted:

Anyone know if the Android version of Card Quest is adequate? Not a game I'd probably play that much at home but for a phone game it sounds cool.

e: also it's cheaper

It's fine except the font is lovely for a handheld, and there's the usual unity thing of making the phone hot and eating your battery just to render a turnbased card thing.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think Slay the Spire and Dead Cells are also in that category (frequent updates, clear idea of what they want to do)

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Paladin with their ridiculous zero cost dodges and heal made warrior usable for me. It really depends on what you unlock first I expect (I just play blind in that respect)

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tangledeep is on sale at https://chrono.gg today!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The bold "right after Octopath Traveler" release date.

...I am probably literally the only person who has Gungeon on Switch and no other platform and is also going to be playing Octopath instead, aren't I?

Nope. But I don't like Gungeon at all anyway. Such a letdown after nuclear throne.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hito posted:

You might like reading about this magic deck.

You were right. Thank you.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pumpinglemma posted:

Here's another fun one. (Win by putting your opponent into a position where they have to solve a computationally hard problem to find a legal move. Or even tell whether one exists.)

Ahahaha, That's a slow burn but the escalating layers of bullshit are amazing. Thanks!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

the bow (a slow weapon that isn't fun to play with)
Hey now.

Far Cry is basically bow-hunting: the game for me. This also makes Far Cry Primal the best game in the series.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tildes posted:

If you end up liking card quest you’ll also like solitairica i bet.

Not at all. I found the latter extremely frustrating with how little impact many of your turns have because you're so reliant on the cards that get flipped.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think it's cool how in most threads stuff like this crawl discussion would have continued as sniping slapfight but here changed to interesting discussion instead.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Truspeaker posted:

I hard disagree with every single thing you said.

Yeah, wow.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tradjik posted:

How does Meteorfall: Legends stack up against Night of the Full Moon?

Are there any other good deck building roguelikes on android?

Meteorfall is way more streamlined (your hand size is 1 and you tinder swipe each card) and has fewer classes, cards and enemies. Still worth checking out.

I'm not aware of any other good build-as-you-go games on android unfortunately. Card quest is closest but a very different type of game.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

golden bubble posted:

I finally got Card Quest. It's really good and fun, but it left me wondering why anyone compared it to Slay the Spire. I love both games, but they provide very different experiences once you start digging into both games.

I've only ever seen people say they're pretty different games, just that you're likely to enjoy one if you like the other.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DrManiac posted:

Has anyone else been messing with the Roguebook alpha? Of all the slay the spire clones I've played so far this feels like the one with the most potential when it comes to deck building decisions.

You have to choose two heroes to start each with their own gimmick and cardpool. Every time you use a card associate with a hero they move to the front which usually means they are taking all the damage. You're dude's hp is way small than in StS to account for you having two so it's pretty important to have an equal enough distribution of cards to be able to switch when you need too.

The game also steals HEX's card socket system where some cards you find will have slots you can insert gems in to change how they work. The gems I found so far have pretty significant downsides so you have to think about it. Like one basically gives a card innate but it gets exhaust too, one increased a cards damage by 7, but also increased it's cost by 1.

It's definitely very interesting. Beaten it once now with the two tank dudes.

The UI is abysmal though, what an insane amount of wasted space.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chin Strap posted:

So to add to my weekend of card roguelikes I bought Griftlands too. It is amazing art style and the game is already fun. I have full confidence Klei is going to turn it into a masterpiece.

It's pretty fun so far, but I have to say I find combat to be quite disappointing compared to the negotiation part of the game. It seems virtually impossible to get enough defense, which I guess justifies the massive health pool you get. Attrition-based gameplay is really not my thing, though, nor do I particularly like consumables, which the game also leans on to some extent.

Gorgeous art indeed, and promising overall. I've definitely enjoyed Trials of Fire more though. Their presentation and resource system are excellent, every turn is an interesting puzzle.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not trying to say it's too hard, just that it's using a kind of resource scarcity to create challenge that I don't find all that enjoyable. Like, paying for a temporary ally feels about as annoying to me as paying for a healing potion. Again, attrition.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Burning Rain posted:

I'm also playing Night of the Full Moon, and it is a bit less Dream Quest than I expected from the early talk in the android thread (but still very much Dream Quest 2). It does seem that I'm sleepwalking through a large proportion of the fights with the first couple of characters,which has dampened my enthusiasm. I do like it though, seems a decently relaxing game.

There's about 7 higher difficulties for each class which still don't make the game super hard but enough to make it interesting.

I'm really digging the alternate campaign DLC, getting to choose your starting perk/deck makes runs slightly more steerable. Shame there's only three classes for it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DrManiac posted:

Has anybody tried Neoverse?

I think it's an OK Spirelike but nothing extremely special mechanics-wise. The most interesting is the third character who revolves around summoning different pets to do different things. Everything revolves around the usual damage/block like StS though.

The graphics have that really smooth 'my first zbrush/blender' look which I find a bit offputting.

My favourite things about it are:
- your choice of fight also always comes with a challenge which you don't necessarily have to fulfill immediately - things like 'do x damage in one round' or 'play Y cards of a certain type in one fight' and the reward can vary greatly in quality, which can result in interesting choices.
- There's a skill point system that lets you activate nodes on a x/y grid and filling a row/column lets you activate a more powerful node which lets you steer your game more than purely random card selection would.
- The three characters each have multiple builds, making it pretty replayable

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Griftlands is incredibly polished but I feel the deck variety isn't great, each deck has basically two possible, very obvious build paths and there aren't that many good card combos to be had.
Yeah I kind of got bored with it. Also the balance between attack/defend values is very off if you're used to Slay the Spire. Defensive decks are extremely hard in my experience.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love pausable realtime games because I hate having to frenetically click stuff, and I dislike the way most turnbased games chunk time. Pausing to adjust orders and positioning is a lot of fun to me. Especially cool is doing stuff like lining up fireballs to detonate exactly at the right spot and moment with the rest of the party running out of harm's way with a whisker to spare. They're is a lot of joy in seeing things play out in real time after planning them out without the stress of time pressure.

The Commandos games and Shadow Tactics are examples of games I strongly dislike because I can't execute in real time but would greatly love if they had a rtwp option. Making those turnbased would make them unwieldy.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yeah man we need more 'games' that are just straight start to finish reading with maybe a couple of inconsequential options and lots, I mean lots, of sex with barely 18 girls.
Alternatively you could not be a combative dick and acknowledge that other types of vns exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The move to discords and slacks off forums is just unbelievably depressing to me. Unsearchable, dependent on a single company, ephemeral. Bleak.