Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Reviewing my posts from the last thread I suddenly remembered about Desktop Dungeons. Turns out it's still in beta. What the hell? I bought the game like two years ago.

Edit: On a more urgent topic I'll work up something for Brogue unless Lilli or DoctorFrog beat me to it, I suppose. The only reason I haven't made a Brogue thread is because I'm so lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I stopped playing for 6 months and came back and a bunch of stuff was completely different (in an awesome but confusing way) and I vowed not to play again until it was feature complete. That was 9 months ago, I think.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

hito posted:

Does that count as a roguelike?

If you are asking "Is it okay to talk about this game in this thread?" the answer is always YES. If there is any possibility that a game could be considered a roguelike than you can talk about it in this thread because this is the roguelike megathread.

(We talked about Goblet Grotto for like five pages in the last thread.)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

You don't happen to know when that might have started? I kinda want to know what the gently caress that game is smoking.

Dinky Duck Race called it a roguelike here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518719&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post409849748

and no one questioned him until after playing the game at which point we had to talk about it anyway because Goblet Grotto.

Edit: Let me find the link post in the roguelike thread, sorry.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3235469&pagenumber=157&perpage=40#post410184482

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

It doesn't seem that bad.

Is it normal to be stuck in a level without stairs down though? I've search every wall repeatedly for traps and I'm at a loss what to do.

There are always exactly nine rooms on every level in an approximate 3 by 3 grid pattern, hth.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The Rougelike Megathread: This ASCII is insanely immersive.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I thought only one kind of gas could exist on a square at a time. If there's poison gas damaging you, there can't be paralysis gas, and vice versa. Maybe poison gas doesn't unparalyse you?

This is correct. Only one type of gas on a square at a time, but corrosion isn't an effect that cancels paralysis.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 24, 2013

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Arkham Horror is a bit like a roguelike except it's a board game and not a computer game.

It would be a lot less painful to play as a computer game.

Rapacity posted:

I'm not sure why Sword of the Stars: the Pit isn't talked about much in these threads.

Inventing the word rogue-alikes is an unforgivable sin.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The guys on the Brogue forums seem to think that the best strategy is ignoring all the cool magic and runic poo poo and just running around with +whatever plate armor and broadsword.

The best strategy is figuring out how to keep your allies from dying.

It's just that every strategy benefits from plate/broadsword. And really you only have to use half of your enchants on those. It's just best if you use all of the first half.

Anachronist posted:

I like brogue a lot, but I too am just not very good at it. Can anyone here give some insight into what goes into a good run? My best games get down to around 13-16, and at that point I just get overwhelmed. Zombies, pixies, and furies seem to be giving me the most trouble right now.

Midgame woes, huh?

By level 13 you want to be set for main weapon and armor. Acid proof at least armor 12 (you can boost it more later). You also want a permanent solution for casters, my preference would be Staff of Lightning 7, but my guess is that a charm of negation would work in some cases.

Always engage monsters on your own terms. The only thing you gain from beating a monster is that they aren't there to kill you anymore.

Zombies-
Zombies shouldn't be a problem to melee since you are already handling Wraiths. If you need to avoid them do so. They are slower than you because they are already puking and you aren't yet. The solution of last resort is fire, but only because you don't want to burn up enchants.

Pixies-
They have 10 HP. Killing a pixie should always become your first priority the instant you see one. This is true for most late game casters.

Furies-
Wing jackals. Since they fight in a pack always try to get a positional advantage over them. The old joke goes, "What's the most overpowered thing in Brogue? Doors." Fury depth is 18 though, so if you were seeing them they were Out Of Depth spawns, condolences.

Edit: P.S. I mostly die in the midgame too.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

⁃ Grappling monsters have more health.

Everything looks great except that. Screw that change.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

100 Rogues: is it worth it for someone who thinks NetHack is cooler than Crawl and is more into Brogue than anything else? I'm pondering whether to buy it but I'm really turned off by having to in-app-purchase the classes. Seems like they're locking most of the gameplay behind a lot of money.

What are you going to be playing the game on?
(The answer is no, but I'm trying to find an alternative game for you.)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

It was going to be an iPhone. There are classic roguelikes available for it but the tiny screen makes a game developed specifically for it almost a necessity. I was looking for a game that didn't require huge amounts of efforts, basically something interesting to pass the time and relax while also not being brainless.

I don't actually play mobile roguelikes, so take this with a grain of salt. But the guy who ports Brogue over to Windows (and consults on the design) also ported Cardinal Quest to iOS. From playing the kongragate version, I can tell you that it is sort of an incredibly simple roguelike, but it definitely has some strategy behind it. The UI also seems streamlined for mobile really well.

..btt posted:

Apparently a few people have weird performance issues. I've never seen the game dip below 60 FPS, and my CPU is coming on 5 years old now.

Weird performance issues? In a Flash game? Well I never.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Im_Special posted:

Quick question, has anyone been able to get this awesome Oryx Tiles to work with the latest Brogue v1.7.3 release? I'm feeling an itch of Brogue lately but don't think I can go back to none tiles.

If you're really desperate you can always manually alter the font files.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Speaking of Desktop Dungeons, can anyone point me where to go after finishing all the normal dungeons and their quests? Because holy poo poo I tried a random hard one and it kicked my rear end so hard it was like I was starting new all over again.

Yeah. Basically the normal levels are about as hard as earlier parts of the alpha, and the hard levels are harder than anything in the alpha except the final unlock challenges.

Each direction from the town has a type of class that is best though? Start by playing with the absolute easiest classes. Or maybe try the class quests and try to unlock more items?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ExiledTinkerer posted:

P.R.I.M.E http://pesky-reticulans.org/

It may only update every so often, but drat if they are not getting someplace nifty amidst poking around in Sci-Fi tropes Nethack-style.

This is way too much like space nethack for my tastes, but the NotEye integration is really cool.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Dodge Charms posted:

I like Roguelikes in part because I like to tinker with them.

What Roguelikes are most amenable to modding?

(Being open source so I can hack the source code and compile it myself does count as "amenable to modding" if the source code is reasonably readable.)

Brogue has readable source. But it doesn't have debug symbols, so I've never gotten it to build properly myself.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Nobody has mentioned brogue in a while, but is there some kind of established plan you're supposed to follow w/r/t equipment? Should I get a plate armor and endgame weapon right away and keep them around until I have enough strength to use them, or not worry about that until the endgame? Should scrolls of enchanting be used primarily for armor, or should I use them on staves and rings and such?

The changes to the stealth system are so game shifting in 1.7.3 that I no longer know the correct answer to this question. I haven't been playing as much either, so I haven't had time to generate a proper opinion.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Essentially, the stealth system used to not care about your armor at all, so plate armor was always the best choice in every situation (barring a really great runic, but most runic armor still wasn't as good as plate).

Exactly. Plate armor had no downside so the optimum play was always: find plate armor, make sure it's not cursed, immediately drop 5 or more enchants on it and wear it forever.

Edit: I suppose I forgot to give actual helpful advice on enchants.
In a run you will find between 12 and 18 enchants.
I usually spend about 6 on weapons and armor. That means you never enchant non endgame equipment. Exceptions can be made if you have an excellently weighted runic obviously. Runics become more powerful on worse equipment faster, so you want to find runes on a spear usually but for some runes dagger or sword is best.

Light is probably the best ring because of late game, but I'm terrible at the game so I usually like to have a +4 regen ring instead.
Lightning seems great but what's really great is obstruction. I enchant firebolt to exactly 4, because when you need fire you really need fire and when you need no fire it's useless. Conjuration is also surprisingly cool.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 8, 2013

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Is there a generally recommended order for progressing through the game in desktop dungeons? I have hit a brick wall trying to finish beginner brigade with a thief, i just can't seem to do it. Should there be something else I work on for a while first?

I feel bad for you son. Beginner Brigade is probably the easiest quest in the game. Although I suppose thief is the weakest tier 1 hero by some accounts.

I think my biggest piece of advice is, the order you want to upgrade hero buildings to level 2 is wizards first followed by fighters. Those unlock very important preps and relatively weak enemies. Another thing you can do is go into some of the compass direction dungeons and unlock shops, gods and races, none of which requires you to beat the levels you can just retreat after finding them.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

andrew smash posted:

The other three classes were really easy, I agree. I just haven't found a good way to leverage the thief's bonus ability at low levels so maximizing xp is really difficult.

Early in the game when your prep choices are weak you may be forced to fight equal level monsters to get up to 3 or 4 before the thief hits his stride. It's not optimum but you can use slowed level 1 enemies to help you get through levels 1 and 2 faster.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Frankosity posted:

I have to say, I've never found much of a use for PISORF, though.

PISORF produces knockback, which does physical damage and doesn't trigger retaliate. Also Binlor. Also Also the Halls of Steel. But it's so situational that I convert it on sight 80% of the time.

Frankosity posted:

Incidentally, for Dimensional Dealings (buy every item in a level), am I best served running a Thief for that?

Technically, yes. You'd want to run Double Doom (or something with three bosses?) with a thief, black market, gloves of midas.
Personally, I got it coincidentally on a two boss level without any of those preps, so I think the 25gp bonus for the second trophy is the only thing you'll really need.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I know LEMISI gives you HP and MP for the squares it uncovers, can you use that to get heals without moving away from a damaged enemy, or do they still get to heal?

e: I've never actually tried, I always just convert it.

No they still get to heal, the buff that LEMISI got from the alpha was "This glyph specifically targets nearby monsters and other points of interest." Notably BURNDAYRAZ has a very high priority as a 'point of interest'.

I'll have to give PISORF more of a chance. It'll definitely help out in the rock garden which is where I'm up to next.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rock Garden is just worship Binlor to win, huh? That run was hilarious. Guess I accidentally completed complicated tasks 4.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

MPLS to NOLA posted:

Re: Desktop Dungeons

bummed there's no bonus for clearing a map with no conversions.

My Q: what's the endgame in DD? I have a long long way to go but what is the last thing you have to do to beat it?

There's a badge called hoarder.

To 'beat the game' you have to collect all of the trophies and then beat a final hard difficulty level. Four of the trophies are boss exclusive which requires you to get towards the end of each directional level tree, however you do not have to beat any vicious levels to beat the game.

ProfessorProf posted:

Also on the subject of Desktop Dungeons: How the hell do I run a Bloodmage? It seems like somehow their abilities should have some kind of kickass synergy, but I can't find it, and the MP penalty puts them down on the same lovely tier as priests and monks for me.

They don't actually have synergy. You use blood pools either to fuel BLUDTOPOWA or to just get health. Having plenty of blood pools left over makes a lot of bosses trivial to fight.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

andrew smash posted:

This is a dumb question but how do i actually use something from the locker in desktop dungeons? I can't figure out how to take my stored crap with me on a new dungeon run.

During adventure preparation, after you have chosen your race and class click on the icon of the lockered item until the outline turns orange. The name of the item should appear on the preparations list to the right.

If the item in the locker is darkened out, that means it was lost on a previous run. You need to back out of the adventure prep, click on the guild and pay the recovery fee for the item.

Stelas posted:

First off, you have to check the Guild after each adventure - it will show three items from your latest run which you can store, by moving them to one of the three boxes above them.

And this of course.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Similar note, is Legend of Dungeon well thought of in this thread?

My experience with the Alpha led me to believe that it's not a very good roguelike, and it's not a very good brawler. Played by myself so maybe it's a good party game?

On the plus side, without it I wouldn't have :justpost:ed this:

DalaranJ posted:

What do you think are the gameplay aesthetics that appeal to you about rogue or other roguelikes?

I feel that they are (in order of importance to me personally),
'real' strategic decisions in game play
and exploration and discovery.

So if we think about these two aesthetics as being desirable to people who enjoy roguelikes we can see how the mechanics of roguelikes are derived from that. Procedural generation combined with permadeath ensures constantly renewed exploration and if the game is properly organized causes emergent strategic situations. Likewise, the item Iding game combines strategic decisions with renewed discovery. 'This potion could be dangerous, what is the safest place and time to test it?'

If you want your game to be roguey make sure your mechanics point towards these two types of aesthetics. Obviously the game should also have mechanics that point it towards beat em' up too. Honestly, I want to see the UI look and act a lot more like a beat em' up, maybe Golden Axe?
which I thought was a pretty good post about roguelikes. Or at least my feelings about roguelikes.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Corridor posted:

Thing is, it seems only willing to run in a window, and that window is bigger than my drat screen. I can only see like two-thirds of it at any given time. There's no menu option in-game to change the res and I couldn't find any obvious files in the folder that might let me change it. Is there some kind of Windows-related magic that lets me change the res of a specific program?

Press 'Page Down' (it's supposed to be '-' but that doesn't work?). Unlike the non-tiles version the tiles version only allows two sizes though so if 'small' doesn't fit you're stuck.

Edit: Minus and plus only work when in game. Page Down and Page Up work all the time because they are built in.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 2, 2013

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

EvilMike posted:

They only gain power from wands. But they aren't single use, you can add charges to wands with enchant scrolls, meaning those wands let you dump enchants into allies now. Not a bad idea if you get one strong enough and can keep it alive.

I should add that a wand charge adds what used to be "four levels" worth of experience allowing your ally to eat/study an upgrade trait every time you do it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Imagine how ridiculous it would be trying to play that with the tileset. That would drive me insane.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Space Bat posted:

I'm pretty sure nethack does something similar anyway.

:eng101:
Nethack alters global luck for all characters during Friday the 13th (and according to the phase of the moon supposedly). It changes back to normal at the end of the day. Of course, most people scum for luck so early in the game that it basically doesn't matter.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

What are the core things you'd carry forward if you were bringing Nethack into the glistening neon future?

Nethack's reputation is so large in the roguelike community that it's sort of hard for me to say "here's a thing that was only great in Nethack!". Almost everything I liked about Nethack has been improved on by other games, so much so that it's hard for me to not look back on it with disdain. (Also it turns out that I wasn't really into that sort of roguelike, a fact that I didn't discover for about a decade.)

I would say that I liked the 'quest' instance where the game generated some stuff that was specifically geared to your class. Also for hilarious decision points a scroll of genocide is hard to beat.

Edit:

madjackmcmad posted:

It was a product of its time.

Basically this.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Farquar posted:

Gog.com has a sale today on this bundle of games with roguelike elements.
http://www.gog.com/promo/roguelikelike_bundlelike_70_off_winter_promo_2013

Steam has truly destroyed my game buying habits. I selected the one I wanted and then said, "Only 50% off? Screw this."

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Heads up, Oryx is looking for a C programmer who can help him keep Brogue tiles up to date.
Email him at oryx at oryxdesignlab.com

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Brogue is muddy and over-busy and as far as I can tell most of the color variation doesn't provide any useful gameplay information. I have no idea why it's so universally praised for its look. It's like Dwarf Fortress in pastels.

I like the variety of the color dithering on normal tiles but hate the way liquids constantly redraw. The only time it really bothers me is when there is a bog cloud overlapping lava and it get hard to tell the difference.

But I suppose you can always turn the color effects off.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It's way funnier if you go find it yourself, but here.

I eagerly await Andrew's future posts in this thread defending the contest.

Which do you think he'll go with?
"Sex sells."
"The poll doesn't mean anything. It's just for fun."
or "Noxico deserved to win. If you really cared about your favorite roguelike you would have spoofed the poll harder than that."

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Nephilm posted:

Desktop Dungeons on flash sale - is the "Goatperson DLC" worth it?

Goatperson is the viscous difficulty equivalent of race/class combinations. Whenever you level up you are forced to switch gods, your exploration is limited by food consumption, and more.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Chakan posted:

But how viscous? Are we talking pudding, or jam? Poorly done pancake mix?
E: vicious

Well, if we go with the analogy that every class is something that you might eat and goatperson is the only viscous one, I would describe goatperson as 'shards of glass'. Although I might be as bad at analogies as I am at spelling.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

Today I was visiting my friendly local game store, checking out the board games and new comics. There was a MTG tournament going on, so kids were spread out everywhere beating each other up with tapping and manas and the like. Overheard, one kid was telling his friend about Rogue Legacy:

Excellent, phase 1 of operation genre switch is complete. Now we just need to convince people that games with procedurally generated elements, permadeath, an item IDing minigame, and intricate tactics/character builds are called "bullet hell shooters".

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

victrix posted:

Shooters now refers to fps games instead of the horrible 'shmup' for the original japanese shooters :mad:

Sure, but I've never heard anyone say bullet hell shmup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Eonwe posted:

Pacman, the original roguelike.

It is certainly fair to call Pacman a death labyrinth. Someone should make a Pacman roguelike for 7DRL.

Fake Edit: Oh, poo poo, Toe Jam and Earl is on Steam?