Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Here's a free copy of Dungeons of Dredmor Complete from the latest Humble Bundle.

Figure there's less chance it'll get lurked in this thread than in the main Steam thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Inadequately posted:

Unreal World is my perennial favourite and recommendation, it's set in old-timey Finland but doesn't have any fantasy elements, and like Cataclysm the focus is more on survival than fighting.

Is there any up to date beginner's guide or let's play series for this? I haven't played since the dev made it free, and my one time purchased version was even older than that and didn't have all the new changes.

Last I remembered, making a million wooden bowls and tying up a cow for milk was the poo poo starting off?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I've been playing Unreal World again, it's been cool catching up to all the new changes made since my outdated paid version. Robbers are a pretty scary addition, trading is village-wide instead of shops, and rituals seem a bit easier to get now. Apparently the new go-to trade item are wooden planks, which are a bit more involved than spamming wooden bowls. Still haven't had a character make it to winter due to cockiness (gently caress you, wolves) and random robberies.

Anyone know what traps are the most effective for catching game or birds?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Inadequately posted:

Trapping is super viable to keep you well-stocked, although you probably shouldn't invest too much time building a proper trap fence until you're already fairly well off and have a method of preserving large amounts of food. But once you are, if a trap fence only catches you two or three large animals a year that's still enough to keep you supplied through that entire year.

If you set up near rapids, a fishing rod and a net or two can keep you fed indefinitely. The main issue with fish is that you rarely get enough of the big fish at one go to make preserving them all worthwhile.

Personally I've found hunting one of the least efficient but most engaging methods of securing food, although the chance of a successful hunt goes way up if you have a dog.

I never lucked out much with trap fence, but then again I was never certain what locations had abundant wildlife. I'm going to start looking for good chokepoints once I've built my raft.

The only food source I've never tried in Unreal World is farming. Seems like a very high setup cost and delayed gratification for an uncertain yield compared to just smoking a bunch of meat cuts.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I currently don't have poo poo in terms of decent axes to build a cabin. How viable is cave dwelling in Unreal World?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The only thing I dislike about the Cryptic Comet games is that they're made in Adobe Director, which isn't the most robust and sometimes craps out. As I understand it though, the dude has stopped making video games.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Imagine trying to keep up your poker face for an entire game if you took Power Behind the Throne.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
UnReal World question:

How effective do you think this trap fence setup will be? It's on a landbridge connecting two marshland continents where I've seen elk and reindeer roaming. Will animals swim around it? Would saturating the tile with more traps be more effective?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Jordan7hm posted:

[*]:10bux: Sword of the Stars: The Pit - A traditional roguelike with an insane crafting sub-game and a whole bunch of DLC (buy the Gold version for the complete package). It's not bad per se, but it appeals to a certain type of person. If you like crafting then you may really like this game. I'd probably still look at a wiki instead of using the in-game systems to figure out what builds what.

The crafting system in The Pit often gets touted but I think it actually exacerbates its biggest problem, which is that successful runs are extremely loot dependent. No matter how smart you play, some runs inevitably result in failure because you simply couldn't find sufficiently scaled gear to survive the later floors due to RNG. It's a very disheartening way to lose, even with the understanding that you can keep replaying.

The issue with the increased crafting recipes from the Gold Edition and other DLCs is that it further reduces your chances of getting that crucial piece of armor or weaponry by polluting the loot tables with even more crafting components. Yes, you have the potential of creating some powerful gear on your own, but more often you're stuck with an inventory of components that only might result in something useful.

A lot of the game is just slowly losing to attrition, where you have to do goofy poo poo like preserving your starting gear because of the real possibility of not finding anything better in a run. An update to the game introduced the ability to bank stats and loot from one playthrough to a subsequent playthrough in an ostensible attempt to make things easier, but it just feels like introducing grind as a band-aid for the larger problem of RNG.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Roboquest and Gunfire Reborn are on sale right now on Steam, can I get some opinions/preferences from anyone who's played both?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I just got Griftlands and I'm enjoying it so far but I'm trying to get a handle on the metagame.

My first run I negotiated my way through most encounters. I made it to the boss but my combat deck was woefully inadequate because I had filled it with under-leveled cards. On my second run, I went the opposite route and fought everybody so I could get a better grasp of combat. I ended up dying on day three due to attrition. Attempts at negotiating for that berserker run was basically impossible due to the negative reputation cards I was accumulating, and my negotiating deck being mostly comprised of starter green cards rather than red cards. Another consequence of fighting and executing everybody I came across was that my combat deck ended up cluttered with a lot of item cards that weren't necessarily helpful in a given hand.

So my take-away is that I should be doing a mix of negotiating and combat, be more selective of what cards I take (and also take advantage of the remove card shop option to thin out my deck), and avoid executing people. I'm still trying to understand what cards are good and how to synergize them, but I still have to unlock everything first. Luckily progression doesn't seem that bad and I'm already 30% unlocked with Sal after doing these first 2 runs.

Does anyone have some good starter Griftland tips or tricks they care to share? Also if there's another playstyle I'm overlooking? I haven't really touched the pets you can buy, for instance.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Angry Diplomat posted:

When choosing cards to delete, don't feel compelled to prioritize the lovely basic attack and conversation cards. Once those level up, they can potentially be upgraded into versions that delete themselves. This can save you a lot of money, as card removal cost scales up for the rest of the run every time you use it.

This is good to know. Didn't realize the point to the destroy card upgrade until now. I think my goal next run is to phase out my starter cards this way and try to hopefully make room for better cards.

I also noticed the option at the start of a run to disable certain decks, which might be a good way of limiting bad card picks? I'm going to leave everything enabled for now until I unlock everything, but is turning on and off decks with a particular build in mind something that people do? Or is it just better to have everything on for the flexibility?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm another Card Quest dummy that couldn't get through the tutorials for any of the classes besides Fighter. The different playstyles and variety of that class alone was pretty fun though, so I'm hoping to jump back in with the other classes when they release the remaster.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I bought Tainted Grail Conquest and am having fun with it. But for an indie game with not particularly amazing graphics, it has some major performance issues on my system. My comp is chugging harder than when I'm playing Cyberpunk 2077, even on fullscreen, vysnc, 60 FPS cap, and low settings.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I already have Tainted Grail: Conquest from the Humble Bundle. I should play it more actually, I liked what I saw from the two characters I tried and there's a lot more, each with their own gimmick and playstyle.

Here's the gift link for anyone that wants it (I'm a scrub and used the email link instead of the gift key option :sweatdrop:)

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=sevzNdu2AVCG2vdb

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm enjoying Fights in Tight Spaces. I've been having more fun with the card draft mode over any of the premade decks. My strategy so far is going lean deck and removing any of the movement cards other than Slip which seems like the superior movement card for my money. Then I just jump kick around while knocking enemies out of the map.

Is there an ETA for full releases for Beneath Oresa and Chrono Ark? They're the only games I haven't tried yet from the Humble Bundle and I might hold off on them if they're out of Early Access soon.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I just wish there were less gacha elements in poker

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The other players at the table just seem to hard counter my all-in builds

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm so bad at SHMUPs but for some reason if you just invert the formula with like Vampire Survivors and Brotato, I'm suddenly all-in. Just started playing Boneraiser Minions in these short 15-minute interval runs throughout the week and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Metaprogression doesn't seem too bad or grindy, either.

I think I bought all these games for ~5 bucks on sale so the dollar-to-amount of gameplay value has been pretty good.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
There's a new little splash screen when you visit the site that might be hinting at something.

I played a bit of Dungeons of Dredmor earlier this year. Went with my old standby of steampunk knight build but bolstered by the immortal science of the Communist skill tree and had a grand ol nostalgic time with it.

If it's a remake or something, my only ask is that the UI scale properly with high resolutions because my crummy eyesight can't handle it these days :corsair:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Very cool. I for one still had fun with Dredmor when I did a replay of it this year, and the UI/UX was the main thing that was showing long in the tooth for me. Looking forward to whatever update you guys do on that front and the other upcoming stuff.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Those look to be new items in the screenshot so I suspect it's another expansion. Hopefully it includes QoL improvements and not just strictly more stuff.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
My other ask for Dredmor is more skill hotbar slots. If you play any kind of wizard build or have a skill with a lot actives, it's super likely you'll fill your slots after a few level ups. It gets tedious having to reassign your slot every time you want to cast a separate spell or ability.

I am getting a hankering to replay Dredmor again despite my griping so I'll probably pick up the expansion or whatever when it drops.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Arzaac posted:

I played some more Dredmor and man immediately remembered one of my main problems with Dredmor: there are way too many traps, they're way too strong early on, and your default trap radius is 1

It's not like, impossible to get around, but your options are to move through the dungeon extremely slowly or pick up a skill tree that gives trap sight radius. Which, there are a couple of skill trees (Tinkerer, Burglary, and Perception off the top of my head) but it kinda sucks as a skill tax just for some basic QoL.

Yeah, there's just no getting around having some kind of trap sight/trap affinity with every build. You can get it from gear but it becomes very tedious swapping out pieces all the time, given how prevalent and dangerous traps are in the game. My last playthrough actually ended from a trap death because I just got too lazy/complacent and just blindly forged ahead which is a bad idea when you're in Diggle Hell.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

LazyMaybe posted:

I feel like the game ought to communicate that monster zoo mechanic more clearly then, because I didn't even realize that leaving the level means you miss the reward! I just assumed one of the monsters from the zoo had wandered off elsewhere into the level.

One result of the way monster zoos work is that I always had to dedicate a few slots on my hotbar for AoE wands, bombs, and bolts in case I opened a door and came face to face with a monster zoo. I found myself constantly teleporting back to the pocket dimension to unload my loot, but my recent playthrough was also a full on Clockwork Knight build with Smithing, Tinkering, and Perception which procs mat drops from kills so inventory management was a huge hassle.

But yeah, monster zoos were often buggy and I would have times when the monster counter was just stuck on 1 enemy who was nowhere in sight. Sometimes it's because the enemy wandered off like you said, or they're invisible, or a 'burrowing' type that won't reveal itself until you are close. But other times the spawn is just hosed and you can either retread the area hoping it pops up or just move on to the next level without your reward :negative:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I am very late to the party with Synthetik but I bought it during this Steam sale and am having a blast with it. I already want to take the plunge on Synthetik 2 but I feel like I could put in a lot of hours in 1 before getting bored. So far I've just played a few rounds with each class and they all feel interesting and have different enough playstyles, which seems to bode well.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Synthetik has its hooks in me for sure. While I haven't been able to fully beat a run yet, I'm slowly getting better and more familiar with the mechanics and started adding on some of the different difficulty modifiers, at least to 140% so I won't be behind the curve once I start prestiging.

So far, I really like the Breacher class. Zipping along, stunning groups of enemies and magdumping point blank shotguns feels really satisfying.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I had a rather silly sniper run in Synthetik last night. I got unlucky with weapons and the best I could get my hands on was the double-fire DMR which was a touch too inaccurate to reliably double tap heads and the single-shot shotgun. The latter weapon was surprisingly my saving grace thanks to the sniper passive which increased its range and the module which dramatically increases your speed when ejecting. I would splat an enemy, eject the spent round, speed off to hard cover to reload, then poke my head around the corner to spray my pursuers with lead, and continue kiting until the group was dead. It worked surprisingly well until I got to the VR lands and too many teleporting/charging enemies messed up my shoot and scoot strategy.

Even though it was a failed run, I still had a lot of fun with what the RNG gave me, which I think is a great benchmark for any roguelike to aim for.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Azran posted:

Synthetik is better at 140/160% difficulty IMO some of the most fun I had with it were lightning fast gunfights where one wrong dash and I would be left a smoking crater on the ground, but in the meantime every peek out of cover would delete two-three enemies with blood red crit numbers in the thosands shaking over where they used to be.

2 is fun but it's pretty close to release (Q1 next year) so no harm in waiting.

Agreed, I think at the very least the difficulty modifiers that makes bullets faster, gives armored enemies more armor, and enemies a chance to crit in particular should have been enabled by default, and not just out of some tryhard masochism. I turned these on after my initial runs and it makes the game feel so much more dynamic and tactical since you have to be more cognizant of cover, enemy sight lines, your movement, and round count as you traverse the battlefield. When you get into a flow state, you start to feel like Max Payne dashing between cover and diving through a hail of bullets and trying to get enemies before they get you. I've had some cool buttclenching moments where I finished off the final enemy in a group with the very last round in my clip or hobbled away from a railgun shot that would have surely killed me if I didn't have a pip of armor plating, only to lifesteal-knife my way back to full health off isolated enemies like a hit and run Rambo.

deep dish peat moss posted:

On the topic of Synthetik I've been playing the new S2 update recently and I think at this point I can officially say I like Synthetik 2 more than Synthetik. It took a while to get here but goddamn does S2 feel good now.

Literally everything that I thought was worse than the original when it first came out has been massively improved and blows the first game out of the water now.

That's great to hear since I'm already having a good time with 1. It's really nice being a latecomer to things sometimes and not having to wait on the next installment.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Finally beat the final, final stage in Synthetik and did a couple of those class challenges to unlock bonuses. In the end, I think the metaprogression is just a tad bit too grindy and I don't think I'll be knocking out the rest of them for the classes I don't play as much. The most egregious part of their unlock system is the stuff that requires you to get 4 friend referral codes or sign up for their newsletter. Luckily you can just text edit some local settings files to unlock these, plus none are what I'd consider super essential after unlocking them.

Overall, pretty satisfied with the game and the time I put into it and will patiently wait for Synthetik 2's release.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Toadsmash posted:

I wanted to love Synthetik, but I've gotten old and it just kicked my rear end way too hard. I can't play twitchy games games like that worth a damned anymore. Some kind of miracle I got as far with Hollow Knight's hard as balls optional content as I did (finished Godhome fourth pantheon), but I had to sink some serious time into that game to do it.

I'm with you on not being very good at twitchy games, but like what others have said, Synthetik isn't super twitchy aside for certain enemies and later on if you enable some of the optional difficulty modifiers. The big turnaround for me was slowing down and being mindful of positioning, cover, and engaging enemies with a plan since you're not really forced into rushing into things guns blazing all the time (there's technically a time limit in that headhunter squads will spawn and keep coming after you if you dillydally in a level too long, but you'd have to do something really egregious like waiting around for all your item cooldowns to reset after every enemy kill for that to happen).

Other smaller tips that helped me improve was using the spacebar as the alternative hotkey for both ejecting and reloading, paying attention to the indicator for when dash was off cool down and pretty much dashing whenever I could, using full cover as opposed to destructible or half cover, and having a secondary weapon loaded at all times and being willing to switch to it when things got dicey. Also, just unlocking more class levels and items and weapons and becoming more familiar with things through experimentation.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
One thing to note is that Raider and Assassin melee attacks can pass through walls and are very powerful with their cool down reset and damage bonus. They're good supplements especially if you build for dash or cloak cooldown and shouldn't be neglected.

Breacher is probably my favorite for the run and gun play style. Just an exciting flow state of charging in and point blank blasting enemies.

Synthetik's specialist classes were the last ones I dug into but they are also very satisfying and different to play. Demo bombarding enemies with a salvo of grenades and then daisy chaining a chain reaction of explosives everywhere on your screen is hilarious. I know using Engineer to gamble and roll for a god build is the funny meme meta, but just playing him as a summoner who rolls with a mob at his back is also cool.

There's a lot of fun stuff to do in Synthetik and you kind of do yourself a disservice by just sticking to one play style.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I finished the campaign and completed all the unlocks for The Last Spell and had a blast with it overall. I found it to be a fairly successful blend of roguelike, tower defense, and tactical RPG. While I wouldn't call it the peak example of any of its genre forebears, it does well enough at its individual elements to give a pretty singular and unique experience as a whole.

Fair warning, maps can take quite a long time to clear. My average was around a dozen hours per map which I would split up into several gaming sessions throughout a week. This has the unfortunate side effect of making the metaprogression feel a bit grindy, IMHO. While you can unlock things after a night clears, some bonuses won't be available until you start a fresh map. I'd even say you don't really get into the meat of character building until you've at least unlocked all the weapons and a few select gear sets in order to fully see what possibilities are at your fingertips -- and that alone can take some time depending on your play rate, prioritization of other meta unlocks, and chosen apocalypse level.

Speaking of character building, I have to say that was the aspect I enjoyed the most of the game. The fact that everything is randomized (including traits, what attributes you can select from at level up, and even your perk tree) helps keep things fresh and encourages you to experiment. I eventually settled on my ideal version of builds where I knew I would have a god-tier hero if they happened to hit all the right prerequisites. But more often than not a hero would be missing some keystone perk or just roll badly/unexpectedly when leveling up, and I'd have to pivot to something else. The most fun I've had is trying to salvage a hero and make the best out of a bad situation, like starting with a one armed hero who nonetheless managed to be a highly mobile fencer who could weave in and out between enemies and didn't let the fact that they couldn't bear two-handed weapons or a shield/offhand weapon hold them back. Weapons for the most part are decently balanced; some are clearly head and shoulders above others and there are a few that are suboptimal and may need more tuning, but there's a wide gamut of serviceable weapons that you could fit around a build or suits a certain niche like early game carry.

One complaint I'll bring up is that some maps can be a significant step up in difficulty in unexpected ways. Each map has its own unique challenge to mix up the standard gameplay of wave defense which may not be revealed until the boss battle. These can be a hard stop if you weren't prepared to overcome their gimmick, particularly the last two maps. Despite this, I still think you should go into them blind and not spoil them for yourself. I managed to beat the final maps on my first try, but I had optimized builds at that point and had several heroes on my team who happened to be tuned exactly to deal with the threat. I could see it being frustrating for a player who managed to survive to the end but then stalled out because they had no counter for this curveball thrown at you. I'm not going to grouse too much about this because it did make boss fights feel appropriately tense and grueling, and you'll only have the first time playing each map to be fully surprised by it.

All said and done, I put in over a hundred hours into the game and had fun with it. I'd definitely say I got my money's worth and would even return for more if a new DLC ever drops.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

unattended spaghetti posted:

Hadn’t seen it posted here but Fights in Tight Spaces is getting a fantasy themed sequel, Knights in Tight Spaces.

Big takeaways are:

Party system with the ability to use support followup attacks that you get for free.
Weapons/equipment/magic.
Not sure what else only peaked a vid for a sec. There’s a demo though. Looks neat.

That's really cool. Fights In Tight Spaces was a neat game with loads of style. I had a lot of fun experimenting with all the decks and combat styles. I rarely managed to beat the final boss in most runs but enjoyed my time with it.

Excited at the prospect of Knights in Tight Spaces. I fear I may be part of the problem because I want the industry to explore genres that are more off the beaten track but I'm still hooting and hollering for fantasy. I'm similarly stoked that the next Card Survival game is going to be fantasy, though I loved the tropical island setting of the first game.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I've been playing the Dwarves of Runenberg DLC for The Last Spell which dropped earlier this week. It introduces a new map, three new weapons, new items, and playable dwarven race with their own racial perk tree and traits. On paper, that might seem a bit thin in content but it's actually a decent amount of variety. I really hope the devs refine and expand the game with DLC of this caliber because it shows some encouraging signs of innovation.

Some thoughts on the DLC specifics:

Map - The map itself is pretty challenging, about on the same level of difficulty as the later maps. In particular, its final night gimmick is a real meatgrinder and throws a lot of curveballs your way. I got absolutely trounced on my first run but I admit I was testing out some suboptimal builds with the new weapons. Even coming in prepared and dropping the apocalypse down a level, I barely eked out a hard-fought victory. I personally enjoy the challenge and like that it distinguishes itself from the other maps in terms of its pacing and dangers.

Weapons - It's still early days for experimenting with these three new weapons but I really like what I've seen so far with them. They've got an interesting set of attacks along with some mobility moves and self-buffs. I see a lot of potential for build concepts that were previously underserved and synergies that can make some overlooked level up attributes more attractive. The unique weapon perks for each weapon also add some tactical depth to their usage. I really hope some of the more lackluster weapons in the base game get a similar treatment but I'd settle for future weapons having this added facet.

Dwarves - I think they absolutely knocked it out of the park in establishing dwarves as a distinct and viable option. Again, it's still early days but I see a lot of intriguing perks in the dwarf tree that can create completely new and unique builds that haven't existed yet in the game. They fit well into the base game and DLC and you have different ways of playing into their strengths and weaknesses. I'm thrilled by this addition as a successful proof of concept for hopefully more races to be added in future DLC.

New items - Alcohol has been added to the game which are essentially potions that buff a stat while debuffing another which is good for added variety in the item slot category and synergies for certain builds. The new item type I'm most excited about are the medals that grant perks. The trade-off is that they occupy the trinket slot, are expensive, rare, and sometimes come with stat debuffs. The upside is that it opens up some new build possibilities by letting you take perks that were mutually exclusive or "fix" a build that was perhaps missing a crucial perk. I don't think it fundamentally changes how the game gives you randomly rolled perk trees for each hero and it's up to you to make the best out of it, which I personally love. It just gives you some more options that's balanced out by the fact that it comes at a real cost, both in money and opportunity cost for the trinket slot, and is dependent on RNG. The DLC has some exclusive stone medals that have unique perks which I haven't gotten much chance to try yet but seem intriguing. I believe medals with the already existing perks have been added to the base game so you can play around with this system without the DLC.

All in all, I'd recommend it if you're already sold on the base game and were looking for more variety.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I've been playing some more of The Last Spell with the new expansion and continue to be impressed. I feel like I've only scratched the surface of all the potential new builds and synergies. Dwarves have certainly carved out a very unique niche and have some very interesting possibilities like party buffers. I also like that Humans become retroactively redefined as sort of generalists with the introduction of dwarves since they have access to three miscellaneous perk trees as opposed to having one of them being a racial tree. There's still some very good perks in those trees and gives them better odds at becoming blood mages or momentum heroes which are very strong. I don't think they'll be left in the dust if the devs continue to add more races to the game.

The only bad thing I'll say about the expansion is the new gauntlet weapon feels very lackluster at the moment. The devs have acknowledge this though and are working on a rebalance for it.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah the other two new weapons more than make up for the gauntlet. All the new stuff integrating and enabling some new or previously weaker playstyles and strategies is my favorite part of the DLC. I really love how spikey counter is a lot more viable with the introduction of the warshield and dwarves, for instance. So far I've tried a warshield and cannon build that rocket jumps into a crowd of enemies, intentionally overheats to explode everything around him, and then heals up from vampiric counterattacks. Another fun build I tried was a pure stunner using the sledgehammer and the cannon's mortar attack and being able to literally stun up to 45 enemies a turn. I feel like there's a lot of fun build possibilities to explore with this new content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I am the exact kind of nerd to read some patch notes but I guess I don't play enough roguelikes to ever recognize a game that Tinkerer posts.

It's going to be a thrill when the RNG finally rolls onto a game I actually have in my library :rolldice: