Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I just picked up Witchfire today and I am liking it quite a bit.
Helped that I watched a little preview video that also happened to explain some of the weirder concepts.

A few clean runs, a few utter disasters, 2 gnosis level ups and I finally decided to just bumrush to the boss and kill him. Took 2 tries - the first one to realize that I just need to ignore the summons and freeze/shotgun his rear end - and avoid getting bonked out of the bubble more than anything else.

The constant Cataclysm nonsense that appears on higher gnosis gets kind of annoying though - it's like there's no internal cooldown on the 'witch sees you' effects and sometimes you get hit with 1 attack that goes from zero to full alert because it does damage over time or something.
Then you get to sprint across the map and shoot some skulls, or deal with floaty ghost assholes for little benefit except running out of ammo sooner.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

If anyone needs pure martial, the most fitting build:

Naked Fist Monke

And bonus:

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 15, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Osmosisch posted:

It also makes it much harder to estimate the power level of any given enemy in my experience, since the cycle buffs are somewhat random, so you run into a bit of a ToME-like situation where sometimes a mook will just splat you.

Getting randomly splattered by Hobgoblins drives this point home flawlessly.

WEAKLING

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I like that the flavour of king you get can utterly make or break a run.
I had a sweet rear end summoner build going but the king was the one that AOE attacks and retaliates, and gains hit for everything dying.
He mulched my 30 minions and erased my rear end.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Regarding Achra, I know it's asking a lot of a solo dev but I do hope he adds items that cross-pollinate between all flavours of build.
As is, there's some very distinct synergies that are itemized around (i.e. psychic + astral, fire + lightning, etc), while others do not exist at all.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Noita sustains me in this regard: Every few runs I stumble across something 'game breaking' and then inevitably hoist myself by my own petard.
It's perfect.
And there's room to get truly insane with 10+ hour long multi-universe rules-bending insanity runs which can still be ended by something as basic as stepping in the Bad Juice.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

grate deceiver posted:

What are good Achra builds to rack up huge numbers for those damage achievements? Seems to me like there's a million different instances of damage you can stack, but not so much multipliers that would generate massive single hits.

I'll look it up for you but there's a poise build + a psyblast (helm I think) That lets you stack poise to effectively infinity (it doubles every stand still) and then brain blast enemies for that amount - you build stacks by hiding behind your summons until the stacks are high enough and then just go for a stroll. It's also an insanely strong build for just pushing the Muqbara in general I think I hit 8+ with it.

I'll pull the character up when I get home.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Wafflecopper posted:

That helmet got nerfed. I think it’s flat charges now instead of a compounding percentage

Looks like you're right - I'm pretty sure it was Mind Diamond and it based damage off of your highest stacked buff, now it goes off Repulsion (which as far as I know you can't stack exponentially)
Alas, no more vaporizing bad dancers with my disapproval.