Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Triangle Wizard is still in the OP, wow. Fair enough; heck, I've beaten it (and more! Although it was ages ago...), and it is still in development at least. The dev seems nice from the little I've interacted with him.

Edit: I think the Dungeonmans section should be filled out soonish because there's a thread. Maybe by madjackmcmad if he wants.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Yahtzee is making a Cthulhuesque "Survival Horror Roguelike."

http://fullyramblomatic-yahtzee.blogspot.com/2013/11/thy-shadow-consumed.html

I stopped watching his videos some time ago because I realized that witty videos weren't super big things in my life, but I'm interested in seeing how this goes.
Anyone try the beta yet? I know his videos became whatever, but I still hear about his games every once in awhile.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Yahtzee is making a Cthulhuesque "Survival Horror Roguelike."

http://fullyramblomatic-yahtzee.blogspot.com/2013/11/thy-shadow-consumed.html

I stopped watching his videos some time ago because I realized that witty videos weren't super big things in my life, but I'm interested in seeing how this goes.
I asked if anybody tried this out, but since nobody else mentioned it I did it myself. It's more like a boardgame (Arkham Horror) with side-scrolling combat/gunning than a roguelike, where you have so many hours to drive around to towns, collecting supplies and saving/abandoning towns, trying to figure out clues (for spells and which elder god you have to stop), things of that nature. There's a weird sanity/magic system using symbols kind of like a more indie Eternal Darkness. When you die your next character gets some sort of bonus, so failing isn't a total loss.

I only played a few rounds because I thought the combat was really bad (aiming seemed arbitrary and melee is at best inconsistent, though I never did luck far into the magic system) and the enemies seemed pretty annoying. It seems really repetitive for how easy you can get railroaded, though I did clear a lot of Stonehenge once; supplies are limited and take time to route, and if you run from enemies you take a pretty strict sanity and status effect penalty (though apparently if you get the right upgrades the game's a breeze?). The movement/combat's the big roadblock for me; if he fixed it up and balanced it a bit better, as it's in beta right now, I could see it becoming a fair recommendation. That's my knee jerk reaction, as it would take time to figure out how varying the CYOA choices in the game are, for instance (I got a lot of doubles).

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 1, 2013

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Looks like it only beat ToME by 48 votes!

You know what they say, "One good turn...". I'm not surprised considering how lackadaisical the award is, just be happy that a pony roguelike didn't flood the charts. I'm sure people will still care too much next year, anyway.

Speaking of end of the year lists, it was brought to my attention that the 7DRL rogue-whatever 868-HACK (recently 86856527) from March popped up on a couple sites' lists recently (mostly indie game sites like Cavanaugh's freeindiegam.es, though apparently it was also on a Gamasutra feature). I'm not too into that scene myself, but I couldn't remember if it was brought up here at all or not. It's a weird neon hacking simulator of sorts which is pretty puzzley. Apparently the dev released an updated iOS version (of the PC original) of which a PC port is coming out sometime next year.

Here's a picture I sloppily re-hosted, because not everything in this thread has to be ASCII :haw::

Fake Edit: Oh, weird, just noticed it was even on the Ascii Dreams voting page blog. Must be going around again.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Unormal posted:

R3QC9-HLCKH-5DDKP
Thanks, took this one!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Unormal posted:

FYI: Just got a confirmed bug report. On a fresh install, don't start with continue, start with new game, otherwise your state will be really broken until you actually start one via "new game"
Ahahaha, was just writing that down. Oh well, hopefully(?) I'll find something else.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Unormal posted:

If the response is good, the conversion to be pretty slick with a console controller isn't a huge amount of additional work, though I'd like to do a little more extensive futzing than I need to do to get it running on touchscreens (which isn't really any at all).
Speaking of this, I was switching between the keyboard and just using the mouse (to combat joint fatigue) and it seemed to work really well most of the time. At first I was expecting a virtual joystick but now I think that might be too inaccurate; because of the genre I'd rather it be ever-so-slightly "picky" than capable of a devastatingly bad move. Felt much better than I expected it to. Using the Arrow seemed the hardest to read correctly (selecting individual rather than direction) so I'm wondering if skills like that might need work, particularly for a controller (and I guess the maps/menus?). Now I'm curious how it'd work if I just slapped xpadder on it.

Oh, I finished the survey, btw. Thanks again!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Unormal posted:

e: Achivements now live on the "beta" file channel, if any brave souls want to try it out. (Right click Sproggiwood in the Steam client..properties..betas...select "Beta")
I triggered them all except for the 2 Surma ones (can't get past that one area) and the companion one, which I tried many ways to trigger (scrolls, shrines, charming, randomly getting a sheep in the Tutorial) and couldn't find one that worked. Oh, another bug is when you "retry" after fleeing it doesn't retry with any (some?) of the default equipment.

Where's the save located, anyway (I accidentally nuked this one by selecting New Game :gonk:)? All I found was the secret Popeye vid.

Edit: Oh, I forgot one, that potion that scrambles your skills messes up the level thingy.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 3, 2014

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Doom Goon posted:

I triggered them all except for the 2 Surma ones (can't get past that one area) and the companion one, which I tried many ways to trigger (scrolls, shrines, charming, randomly getting a sheep in the Tutorial) and couldn't find one that worked. Oh, another bug is when you "retry" after fleeing it doesn't retry with any (some?) of the default equipment.

Where's the save located, anyway (I accidentally nuked this one by selecting New Game :gonk:)? All I found was the secret Popeye vid.

Edit: Oh, I forgot one, that potion that scrambles your skills messes up the level thingy.
I'll just answer my own question then. Apparently Unity games like to use the registry :barf: And, yeah, ice weapons are my go-to which probably means they're OP.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Right now "Hard" is pretty much what I'd consider normal, in that I usually make it through unless I'm choosing a class that I think is weak (Vampire seems pretty tough). I don't notice goatmen that much w/o it toggled, for instance. Of course there's ways around a weak class, too, with the right equipment selection. And I expect that baselevel of difficulty to change with a little tweaking of the equipment and some skills, anyway. It probably does need some more challenge options but I'm not really worried about that; I get absolutely destroyed in CoQ.

Unormal posted:

I'm just using the default player prefetences to store state at the moment (which is in the registry on Windows). I plan to move the serialization to a save file but it'll probably be post 1.0 release.

At this point the pref based serialization is a stable known quantity so I'm a little wary to muck with it for small (though nice) gain.
That makes a lot of sense, actually!

Oh, I don't know if these are "bugs" but charmed wisps still sap you, and I got a mushroom companion from a scroll in the Hill area which liked to put down hostile portals, both which are actually pretty great. :3:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

hand of luke posted:

Which dungeons in particular?
You mean which have I completed on Hard? All of them up to Enri or whatever that's called (the hill one with the replicating mushroom mage). If you meant which one I had trouble with Vampire I didn't really note it, just in a general sense.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

I ended up getting there with Seth and I found a rocket launcher and a ton of good scrolls, including one that makes bosses have less health. The rockets were amazing and made short work of him!

I then promptly made like 300 gold before dying in the second pyramid. I really like the challenge of this game, hoping the second and third pyramid hold some unique surprises of their own. I can already tell the enemies are going to be harder not only because they start beefed up as it's technically level 7.
Splash is great on that boss though still kind of a slog if you use whatever that default electric chain one is because the reload is brutal (otoh the flamethrower makes short work of the free ammo attack). I don't know why but I like Amunet the invisible goddess (great get out of trouble button that doesn't take too long to repop, hate the gumpowder bomb though. Running backwards is fine but you don't get bonus to strafing which I think is what you mainly do due to circling) and I seem to have luck with Neith who gives extra damage with range (weirdly the Burst Machine Gun close is great if you have a lot of crit). I wish I liked Thoth more but I find those weapons awful (the electric gloves like all free ones are garbage, the energy rifle I just can't use due to the slow projectiles because it sucks when you absolutely need to hit when you need to hit, the energy ball is low damage and maybe worse procs slow) . Sekhmet's great if you don't need damage and is probably the best overall. Apparently stats are a major thing so if one isn't working for you it's probably because your stats don't match up for it to be use (or you chose a "bad" stat). The more I play the more I feel like the developer lucked into a pretty decent game but I also suck really, really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Aww. Understandable, but still somewhat of a bummer.