Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

Hey guys I know what we should do, let's argue about the definition of roguelikes :hurr:

But for serious, I'm a bit burned out in games that require loads of studying after playing EVE. What's a recommended roguelike that doesn't require a huge time commitment to even try to play? I'm craving something tough but relatively accessible. (and Nethack isn't quite cutting it :gibs: )

Brogue. Seriously, just play Brogue. It even has an awesome tile version. http://oryxdesignlab.com/brogue-tiles/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

quiggy posted:

Brogue is fun and all but I'm not sure I've ever played a game of it that didn't just end with me on fire.

I fail to see the problem here. :colbert:

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Fill us in for the non-programmers?

Pretty much any piece of quality code is broken up with discrete functions and class files to improve code readability and management. These giant, 2000+ line monolithic files are near impossible for someone to understand or even work in. Even though he released the source code, it'll take a near complete re-write for someone else to make this even workable.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

What's up, Oryx-tile dev buddies?

WaterIsPoison fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 3, 2014

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

This looks like brogue, but I have a feeling it isn't.
It's just a little side-project I'm working on when I can find the time. I frequently have delusions of actually finishing it one day.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Notorious QIG posted:

Just putting it out there that I love the lighting in this. Combined with the very lo-fi graphics it looks very mysterious and dangerous.

Thanks! Yeah, the goal is to make lighting a pretty significantly gameplay component. Instead of a hunger meter your torches will eventually run out and you will be plunged into pitch darkness. Certainly motivates you to keep moving!

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

What's the most popular language/framework for creating text-based roguelikes these days? I wanted to fiddle with the idea of a classical roguelike with combat inspired by Dark Souls, and people make these things for 7DRL so there must be a way to get rolling without spending ages trying to get the absolute basics of "move around a map" off the ground.

I've experimented with libtcod, Love2D, and currently in SFML. I do most of my professional coding in C++ so I recommend libtcod and SFML, but all three were quite easy to quickly prototype with. I dropped libtcod because it was a bit too limiting regarding tiles and other design choices, but for a classic roguelike with text, it'd probably be the easiest to use.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

e: There's a reason there is a new Call of Duty coming out, but not a new Doom.

Uh yeah, about that...

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Qud: Is there a way to reduce the font size? It's just a little to large for my tastes.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Here is my progress for my RL (didn't enter the contest but using it as an excuse to work on a project I've had on the backburner for awhile). Finally got around to implementing a proper lighting system that respects obstacles in the environment now, no more light bleed between walls.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Today I added grass (and also a new cellular automata augmented dungeon generation backend but that's boring). Mostly experimentation stuff, the tuning is very...bespoke right now. But looking to mostly build tools right now.

WaterIsPoison fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 20, 2016

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

netcat posted:

Huh? A lot of roguelikes use cellular automata for dungeon gen, for example when doing "natural" caverns. http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Cellular_Automata_Method_for_Generating_Random_Cave-Like_Levels

This is exactly what I was exploring, although it was just one step in the dungeon generation process from my previous post. I'm mostly looking to follow the Brogue approach where you have multiple, small modules that you use as functions on your map. To that end I can just run the different modules in specific orders with various parameters to obtain different results.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Hitting that gamedev grind after a while. Here is a video of my roguelike after I've done some work this week. Most visible improvements are animations, some debug modes, minor but nifty dungeon gen techniques, and making your torch fade. every. step. you. take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ts5ON9fiM
Forgot I left some Skyrim music going while I recorded

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

Get itttttt

Lookin cool! What's the arrow around the player for, is it facing or next-step/attack indicator?

Yes, it's orientation indicator for combat. The plan is to flesh out melee to just a step above bump combat where you can only block/attack from certain directions and you can strafe/change directions with key modifiers.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

RickVoid posted:

I love that torch effect, very nice. Should it have been lighting up the lower right corner as much as it was, though?

No, that's a known bug that I'll get around to fixing eventually. Has to do with properly adding light at map generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
You can get a version (not sure which) with Oryx tiles here
http://oryxdesignlab.com/games/